Dawn Marie Psaltis (born November 3, 1970) is an American real estate agent and model turned professional wrestler and professional wrestling valet. She is best known for her appearances with Extreme Championship Wrestling and the SmackDown! brand of World Wrestling Entertainment under her ring name Dawn Marie.
Psaltis began managing wrestlers on the independent circuit, starting with Tony Atlas, before she signed a deal with ECW after what was supposed to be a three-week stint as the manager of Lance Storm, feuding with Chris Candido and his manager, Tammy Lynn Sytch, but Paul Heyman was impressed by the chemistry between Psaltis and Storm that he offered her a contract, which she accepted.
Storm and Psaltis feuded with Candido and Sytch for several months, during which time Psaltis was renamed "Tammy Lynn Bytch" to spite Candido and his manager. After the respective feuds ended, she used the ring name "Dawn Marie Bytch," which was eventually shortened to simply Dawn Marie. After Storm formed a tag team with Justin Credible known as the Impact Players in the summer of 1999, she managed both men, helping them win the ECW World Tag Team Championship on two occasions. Psaltis continued to manage Storm until he left ECW for World Championship Wrestling in May 2000. After Storm departed ECW, Dawn Marie opted to manage Simon Diamond and Johnny Swinger until ECW's bankruptcy in 2001.
Dawn Marie then went back to the independent circuit until WWE signed her, where she made her debut on the SmackDown! brand as Vince McMahon's legal assistant. She debuted with the name "Dawn Marie Rinaldi" although it was quickly shortened to the original "Dawn Marie." Later that year she would begin her most notable feud, involving her marrying Al Wilson, the storyline father of her rival Torrie Wilson. She was released from her WWE contract on July 2005 and returned to the independent circuit. She was inducted into the WSU Hall of Fame in 2010.
Tropes related to Dawn Marie:
- Action Girl: When she got the chance. She'd been in wrestling since 1995.
- Torrie Wilson was who she had a nine month long feud with - going to several PPV matches. Even after the feud was over, they still hated each other. Dawn's last match in the WWE was against Torrie.
- Jackie Gayda became this when Dawn claimed to have an affair with her husband. Possibly the only person in WWE who Dawn was meaner to than Torrie.
- Battle Couple: When she was dating Simon Diamond she frequently tagged with him.
- Bi the Way: In her storyline with Al and Torrie Wilson, it was hinted that Torrie was Dawn Marie's intended target all along, even offering to cancel the wedding if Torrie would spend a night with her in a hotel, with Torrie did. Despite this, Dawn Marie developed feelings for Al and the two got married anyway, with Al even dying from a heart attack after having rigorous sex numerous times on their honeymoon.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's of Greek, French and Italian descent, none of which was ever mentioned through her career. She went by just 'Dawn Marie', rather than using her last name.
- Catfight: So many with Francine in ECW.
- Clothing Damage: Her pants ripped in the back during her match with Torrie Wilson at Judgment Day 2004, revealing her thong and she had to wrestle the rest of the match that way.
- Cool Teacher: Buddy Landel and Devon Storm helped with her transition from valet to wrestler. Marie in turn helped train Bobcat, who went on to team up against Marie with Simon Diamond in Maryland Championship Wrestling and then take on both Maria and Simon Diamond in USA Pro Wrestling.
- Darker and Edgier: Played a ditzy valet in ECW, and then progressed to playing a Femme Fatale vamp in WWE - who wrestled a lot more.
- Designated Girl Fight: Kurt Angle used Dawn to punish Torrie Wilson by putting Torrie in matches with her.
- The Ditz: This was her early character in ECW.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Debuted on the May 30 (taped May 28), 2002 SmackDown! as Vince McMahon's paralegal, with the name "Dawn Marie Rinaldi." This was eventually all forgotten about. It did provide Jerry Lawler the chance to make the cheap joke about how he'd "like to see her briefs" during the Divas Undressed competition.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite her horrific treatment of Torrie at Al's funeral, Dawn did seem to genuinely love Al and be saddened by his death.
- Genius Bruiser: Graduated from the New York University Stern School of Business.
- Heel: Remained one for most of her career. She played a brilliant bitch. That being said, she did work a couple of matches against Nidia on Velocity where she played the Face.
- The Host
- Of the Piledriver Rock and Wrestling Radio Show
- Of Dragon Gate USA's live events.
- Jobber: Only won one match in WSU, which was a Tag Team match alongside Portia Perez and even then, both of them together failed to beat Angel Orsini in a handicap match.
- Joisey: She's from Wildwood and usually played a heel.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: At No Mercy 2004, she and The Dudley Boys faced Charlie Haas, Rico and Miss Jackie in a six-person mixed tag match. This was during the time when she was claiming that she and Charlie were having an affair. Prior to the match, Dawn walked into a locker room where Jackie was getting dressed and was topless with her arms wrapped around her breasts. Dawn proceeded to cut a promo on Jackie, who was essentially defenseless. Dawn literally could have done anything she wanted to at the time since Jackie would be incapable of countering or defending against it since she'd risk exposing herself in the process.
- May–December Romance: To Al Wilson, father of Torrie Wilson.
- Power Stable: The Impact Players in ECW.
- Raised by Dudes: On the WWE Divas Undressed DVD, she said that she was raised by her dad.
- Real Song Theme Tune: In ECW:
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: After she succeeded in splitting up Charlie Haas and Jackie Gayda, Charlie turned around and dumped Dawn as well for being a slut.
- Ring Oldies: She was mostly a valet in ECW, so she didn't properly train to wrestle until she was in her thirties. That being said, she was only thirty-six when she retired.
- The Rival: Engaged in a very one sided rivalry with Becky Bayless in National Wrestling Superstars and WSU, although Bayless is also one of two wrestlers Marie holds any kind of WSU victory over.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: Dawn Marie agreed to break off her engagment to Torrie Wilson's father, Al, if Torrie met her in a hotel room, (hinting that Torrie was Dawn Marie's intended target all along). Torrie agreed. At Armageddon 2002, Torrie met Dawn in a hotel room and Dawn stripped herself and Torrie down to bras and panties and they kissed a bit, until the camera cut away.
- Scenery Censor: From the March 13 (taped March 11), 2003 SmackDown!, the same night that the Girls Gone Wild PPV (featuring appearances by Stacy, Torrie and Nidia) aired. Sean O'Haire, doing his Corrupter gimmick, approached her backstage and noticed she was upset. Dawn said that she was upset that Playboy had picked Torrie instead of her. Sean suggested that she should take the opportunity to show her body on SmackDown, signing off with his Catch-Phrase "I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know." Dawn walked down to the ring and opened her top to "flash" the crowd, with the top rope in the way, of course. Oh, and she actually had tape over her nipples.
- Shower of Love: Dawn and Matt Hardy defeated Torrie and Rikishi on the October 17, 2002 SmackDown!. After the match, Torrie went looking for her father and found him, fully clothed, in a shower with Dawn, who was naked and her butt was briefly shown on camera. Torrie was shocked and ran and, when the camera cut back, Dawn was standing behind Al.
- Sidekick: To Lance Storm and Steve Corino in ECW.
- Take That!: Used for one. Introduced in ECW as "Tammy Lynn Bytch," Lance Storm's rip on Tammy Lynn Sytch during his feud with Chris Candido after being kicked out of the Triple Threat. Storm tried it again in 1999, calling her "Beulah McGillicutty" for a feud with Tommy Dreamer. It didn't stick, and eventually ECW just started calling her Dawn Marie.
- Three Month Rule: For a while after Al's kayfabe death, she was still billed as Dawn Marie-Wilson. After three months had passed, this was dropped.
- Took a Level in Badass: In contrast to her ditzy ECW character, her WWE character was more of a Dark Action Girl and The Vamp.
- Two First Names: She dropped Psaltis on-screen and just went by 'Dawn Marie'.
- The Vamp: As if her storyline with Al and Torrie wasn't enough, there was her storyline with Miss Jackie, based around whether Dawn Marie and Jackie's fiancée, Charlie Haas, had an affair.
- Wicked Stepmother: She of course played the heel in the 'Stepmother vs Stepdaughter' match at the Royal Rumble.
- Xenafication: In WWE she had a much, much more serious character than when she was in ECW.