This is the character sheet for the Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duel Academy Saga play-by-post RPGs.
Cyrus Alucard Cain
Cyrus started as a 4th-year Obelisk Blue who owned a large part of the island and was determined to make his last year memorable, starting it off by skydiving down onto the boat. Y'know, the kid that's blind.
In the second RP he's now the headmaster, and much more sober.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Uses Fiends, not to mention a Wicked, and is certainly not evil... though it's debatable if he's good.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The end of the first RP, where he expels Angie for her extracurricular activities, then promptly offers her a position as Barnaby's TA.
Adoptively Cyrus's brother, River was a 4th Year Ra who was almost as crazy as Cyrus. Unfortunately, his attempt to cheer Angie up caused Mind Rape in the form of Eraser showing up, and it just went downhill from there. When the Cult finally showed up, he stormed the ship alone and was caught. In actuality, he joined the Cult and set his plan in motion to save everybody on the island at the cost of his life.
- Combat Pragmatist: Beta Blue found out River prefers to taser idiots that sneak onto the island illegally than duel them.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Part of his Thanatos Gambit is overusing the Cyberdark cards, making him suffer a heart attack with all of the curse dying with him.
- I Have Many Names: River Finn/River Abel/Skye Abel/Sora, at your service.
- Meaningful Name: Abel, to Cyrus's Cain.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: After it's pulled off by Saturday, he quickly comes up with a name and says he's his twin.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Where'd that Yami card go?
- Ambiguously Brown: Scott's naturally tan. With naturally blue hair. This is probably anyone's best guess.
- Berserk Button : It's quitting or giving up, in case you haven't noticed. Two people have prompted it to be pushed; once, he threatened Professor Loatheless for even considering giving up (along with River), and more recently, Jerry actually accused him of not fighting back when things get rough. It prompted him to accept the shadow game.
- Determinator: In the first RP, by sheer determination, he broke a curse Skye was transferring over to him after having sustained massive damage from SWORD.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: To Jerry's Red Oni. He has tendencies to distract himself from his emotions, is rather calm, and tends to go with the flow.
- Talking in Your Sleep: Done a few times, usually to the confusion of whoever's around him at the time.
Kira and Raito-chan
Kira and Rai are split personalities that inhabit a 14-year-old body. They were legally Cyrus's brother, as River was, but they were adopted by him after he was disowned.
- Artificial Limbs: All four of them, designed by River.
- Half-Identical Twins: Kira and the body are male. Rai is a girl.
- Shout-Out: Their name, to Death Note. And Giery refuses to let either of them forget it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pink. Rai dyed it.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: More destructive urges aside, Barnaby's time with Dreadroot was closer to living with an annoying roommate than anything.
- Informed Ability: He's supposedly quite good with a gun. As it happens, firearms aren't terribly useful against malevolent spirits.
- Meaningful Name: It doesn't come up much, but Barnaby's middle name is Roy, after Roy Khan from Kamelot.
- Plot Tumor: The bulk of his existence, particularly in the first RP, where an entire city's worth of supporting characters showed up just to help flesh out his character.
A girl who started out in Ra Yellow, but was demoted shortly after the start of the roleplay due to invalidating the no-unauthorised-uses insurance bonus. Currently Anna O'Grady's roommate. She made it to Duel Academy with the Dark Red Enchanter, her Duel Spirit, but has recently reworked her deck for the tournament. She died protecting Anna from herself, then came back controlled by Raviel. She's mentioned as being a famous Tag Duelist alongside Anna in DA 3.
- Angrish: Quite apart from the whole 'losing the ability to speak' deal, her sanity rapidly erodes after seeing a (fake) Anna decapitated.
- Bifauxnen: Enough to be mistaken for a guy at least twice when dressing up for a dinner date with Anna. note
- Can't Catch Up: Discussed:Tsuki: "Why am I the only halfway-stupid person here? There's a crazy-skilled Yellow, his crazy-crazy rival, a crazy-lucky Red, and a crazy-smart fourteen-year-old teacher! I'm just a girl, for goodness' sakes! How am I meant to compete?"
- Dark Is Not Evil: Just like every other character who isn't ab/using a Light deck, this applies. Except her new trump card just gave her hallucinations and manipulated her into nearly killing her best friend. Surprise!
- Dark Magical Girl: And now she's even getting the powers! With a little outside help, of course.
- Diabolus ex Machina: Raviel's about to be eliminated by Laevateinn's effect a la Dreadroot, Tsuki's back in control if a little worse for the wear, it's starting to look like there might be a happy end— whoops, there goes half of the female cast.
- Heroic BSoD: She did not take being busted down to Red in her stride. And happens again, in a mixture of despair and self-hatred, when she runs from the scythe-wielding crocodilian Tyrant Neptune, then beats herself up for doing the sane thing and trying to get to safety without trying to evacuate the entire building.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Tried to defeat Raviel by baiting him into destroying a monster, then using Nordic Relic Laevateinn. It... didn't work.
- Innocent InnuendoTsuki: "I can take you two guys any which way you want!"
Michael: "Um, Tsuki? You may wanna rephrase that..."
- Large Ham: Has an almost Anime-level habit of calling out (and inventing) names for her monsters' attacks and abilities.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: With Johnny. Might get a bit harder to explain away once their little kiss on the last night on the island becomes widely known.
- Ship Tease: Remind us why you licked her forehead when becoming more friendly with her again, Jerry?
- Tsundere: Shifts from 'haughty-and-arrogant-tsun' to 'friendly-and-regretful-dere' as time passes. A more subdued version of this trope than in other cases.
- Unwanted Harem: More so than any other character, at least. Jerry and Johnny have acknowledged some form of attraction to her (though it may be more along the lines of respect for Jerry), and Michael — as per his usual attitude — was definitely flirting slightly with her near the start. And we haven't even gotten started on the whole deal with Anna.
- The Voiceless: Loses her speech functions as a cost for accepting Raviel's patronage.
A Ra Yellow Duellist from a distant foreign land. His duel spirit is Gearfried the Iron Knight. He is short and thin. His hair is brown, and he wears rectangular spectacles. His duelling disk is remarkably similar to Gearfried's sword.
- Meaningful Name: Subverted. Ryu means 'Dragon' in Japanese, but Ryu doesn't use any dragons. Lampshaded by Jerry:Jerry: "Ryu... That means 'dragon', doesn't it? There's an irony there. You don't have dragons, but Scott does. And "Scott" means "guy from Scottland", and then since you're not using Celtic Guardian, the whole thing kinda breaks down and we should probably forget I mentioned it. I can't blame you for not having a Scottish guy in your deck on the off-chance you were ever in the same place as a guy named Scott who had dragons in his."
- Shout-Out: To the Battle for Wesnoth add-on Era of Magic.
- That Came Out Wrong:Ryu: "Let's enjoy Jerry ripping Scott apart, shall we?"
Tsuki: "Yes, let's-" -narrows eyes- "What's that supposed to mean?"
- Theme Deck: he runs a Warriors deck.
A student who insists he's only in Slifer Red because the entrance exams don't give points for style, until he revealed that he intentionally slacked off during them. His duel spirit is Giant Germ. He is rather average height and weight-wise. He keeps his brown hair tied back in a ponytail, and he wears contact lenses.
- Dark Is Not Evil: His deck is full of DARK attribute fiend monsters but he tends to be a fairly nice guy.
- Underdogs Never Lose: Invoked and discussed. He slacked off during the entrance exams because he thinks a Slifer Red student winning against the Blues is seem as more impressive than a Yellow doing the same, and he conversed with Tsuki about how the Slifers seem to have ridiculous luck.
The only Obelisk Blue PC in the RP thus far. Firmly believes himself and his Blue dormmates to be superior to all others on the island, except teachers. Blond-haired, blue-eyed with a slightly broken nose from an old school scrap.
- Chewing the Scenery: One has to wonder if the abandoned warehouse where he fought Johnny is still standing, after they feasted on it.
- Ham-to-Ham Combat: Engages in a delightfully hammy duel with Johnny. The term 'Took a running jump off the cliffs of sanity' was used.
- Large Ham: He seems to transmute all of his jerkass-ness into pure ham the moment he puts on a Duel Disk. Special mention goes to his hilariously dramatic activation of Final Countdown and his Motive Rant followup against Johnny:Sean: "Fear? HA! I laugh at fear! You shall not scare me with fire and brimstone! You who is scared of fire shall learn of a new fear: the fear of the cleansing light! It shall burn you without fire! It shall scar you without marks! It shall kill you without laying a finger on you! Watch as it ends your sight! Listen as it ends your hearing! Cry as it ends your voice! There shall be no escape from the light! The light I, Sean Abeu, shall channel into my victory! DRAW!"
- Light Is Not Good: Runs a LIGHT Fairy deck and is probably the most arrogant and rude character, causing most of the RPers to suffer an urge to sock him in the face, if not kill him in his sleep.
- Meaningful Name: "Abue" is an anagram of "Beau", French for "Beautiful".
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Does this to try and make others feel inferior. Doesn't seem to phase the others though.
Giery is a jerk, plain and simple. His whole M.O. seems to be to battle Sean over who can kick more baby puppies the furthest. Recently, he was the only PC (though he is a PC no longer) to not make it to the Top 8 in the tournament, leading him to taunt Tsuki into losing before being bodily removed by Armstrong.
- A God Am I: Declared he would be worshiped as a god after he stole River's cards. He did it again in his Shadow Duel with Johnny.
- Hypocrite: After he looked through Dead!River's deck, he declared that LIGHT monsters were wimpy. Giery (at the time) was using what amounted to a LIGHT Fairy deck.
- Stupid Evil: So you're hanging by your neck after you attacked a teacher that revealed s/he could easily kill you, and what do you do? Giery thinks that the answer is to yell at him/her to do his/her worst. Plot Armor as a PC was all that protected him from a quick Neck Snap.
Scott's self-appointed rival, Jerry Parker is his opposite in many ways; tall, fierce, and energetic, with pale skin and blood-red hair, Jerry has made it his mission to claw his way to the top of Duel Academy's food chain. To that end, he's eager to take on everyone, but he's had his eyes set on taking Scott down since he first saw him. Jerry's Duel Spirit is Jurrac Titano, a towering dinosaur with a gruff attitude and a sharp wit, but a good heart under it all. As of DA 3, teaches at the survival-oriented West Academy.
- Animal Motifs: Jerry has something of a dinosaur theme going on.
- Beast Man: With his reptilian eyes, sharp teeth, and animalistic behavior, Jerry can be seen as this.
- Bishōnen: Despite his more animalistic features, Jerry is tall, trim, and fair-skinned, would be able to pass for a typical pretty-boy if he could bother to act like a civilized person.
- Bond Creature: Jurrac Titano. Of all the duelists on the island, Jerry may be the most connected to his Duel Spirit, for good or for ill.
- Determinator: He and Scott have this in common. Jerry has gone up a mountain on a motorcycle after receiving a chest wound. Before getting any medical attention. This bites him in the ass later on, as he nearly kills himself dueling Scott after those same wounds reopen, and refuses to concede until Titano convinces him to, even though he can't stand by that point.
- Friendless Background: Jerry was ostracized by his small-town peers as a freak.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: For someone who doesn't want any friends and sees everyone as a possible enemy, he's actually a fairly decent guy.
- Large Ham: Shouts a lot, gives big speeches on the law of the jungle, tears his shirt off in front of an arena full of people so they can see him bleed? Yep, a mammoth-sized ham.
- Theme Deck: Jerry runs dinosaurs, especially the Jurrac archetype.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Scott (and a few others) as this. ...But is starting grow disillusioned with Scott due to their differing worldviews.
Johnny is a 2nd-year and NPC. First appearing in the Red's Girls' Dorm (helping girls unpack, of course), Johnny is something of a gentleman to teachers and girls. He's also very well-connected on the island, as far as owed favors and such, and part of a group of Slifer Reds that help each other advance by pooling their resources before each exam. According to him (and shown by his duel with Sean), he is a very good Duelist, but his deck cannot stand up to the requirements that exam duels force upon him, and nobody will duel him anymore because he defeats them; no duels, no DP, no new cards, and he can't fix his deck for exams. His deck is a FIRE-themed deck with many Trap Monsters, and he hails from Detroit- in this universe, an arsonist-filled hellhole.
He also seems to have a darker side to him. He provides the Hand Wave for Ryoga's leaving the plot by having a friend plant marijuana in Ryoga's room to get him kicked off the island, and obtained cards from a shipment which he passed to Tsuki and Sean. His main interactions in the RP so far have been with Tsuki, as well.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After his hamtastic duel with Sean, he hands him an apparently powerful card. While this seems rather crazy under the circumstances, said card seemed to have a Duel Spirit within that was affecting Johnny and he wanted to dump it quickly.
- Playing with Fire: Notable because he apparently hates fire after someone close to him died in an arsonfire back home, but uses his deck in memory of them.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Tsuki. Of course, it's hard to believe that with all he's done for her, and even calling her beautiful at one point. And now kissed her.
A cheery, emotionally connected girl, and Slifer Red student. Tsuki's roommate, and the little sister of Blake from the last RP. Her unique gift is the ability to feel what others are feeling, to an extent. Always there with a smile and a positive comment, she's one of the happier characters in the roleplay. As of DA 3, an internationally renowned Tag Duelist alongside Tsuki.
Feathered Fiend of a FriendA first-year who uses the Blackwing archetype. Tired of living in the slums of Detroit, he sees Duel Academy as a new beginning.
- Catchphrase: "Well, hello there." Or something along those lines whenever he meets a girl.
- Headbutting Heroes: With Marvin.
- Precision F-Strike: He gets pretty pissed when he finds out what Shard of Sealed Hate does.Coro: What kind of OP bullshit is that?
- Scarf of Asskicking: Wears a really messed up scarf with feathers on it.
- Theme Deck: Blackwings. An archetype of human-like crows centered around swarming and Synchro Summoning.
James "Jimbo" Faulkner
Shock and Awesome!One of the First-Years in the third season, Jimbo is a hyperactive kid with more than a little case of headstrong. Jimbo was a well-sheltered kid when he was young which can make him seem very naïve around the other students.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: One of the noted flaws with his Dueling is that he can be overly-agressive and play cards with extra offensive power rather than ones that would do what he needs and could protect itself/his LP from other threats. In fact, it's noted that if he had thought through his final turns against Jaden, he would have won.
- Comically Missing the Point: As Jimbo is pretty naïve, he can slip into this, such as asking Marvin what tricks whores do after being told a "trick is what a whore does for money".
- Embarrassing Middle Name: He really doesn't like that his parents decided his middle name would be "Montgomery".
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Doesn't like being referred to as "James" either.
- No Indoor Voice: Noted to be very loud. This does not make life easy for his nervous room-mate, Gal.
- Theme Deck: Plays with Thunder cards that can swarm the field fast and make some explosive Xyz and Synchro plays, especially given that he is a user of Rank-Up Magic and the ATK-boosting Vylon Prism as his Tuner monster of choice, but there isn't a single card in his first two deck lineups that he can really use to defend in any way that goes beyond "put shit-tons of attack points on the field".
The Lion-Hearted EnglishmanJason is the son of an engineer and an actor who grew up learning a wide set of skills. His first and foremost obvious trait is his extreme pride in his homeland, a factor which led to him attracting the duel spirit of Artorigus, King of the Noble Knights, to aid the lost King on a quest to re-instill British and English pride.Roleplayed by kingofgames010.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Feels that everyone needy must be helped, someone to destructive insistence.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to everyone else, Blue Oni to his Duel Spirit, Artorigus, as he is the one who is usually responsible for keeping his Duel Spirit in check with the modern world and its proceedings. Is doing reasonably well at this, although Artorigus still insists on keeping his old manner of speech.
- Shout-Out: His surname, Camlann, is a homage to the battlefield where King Arthur, as legend tells it, killed his traitorous son, Mordred (Medraut in the case of Yu-Gi-Oh/Original Story) and was fatally wounded in turn.
- Theme Deck: The Noble Knights. Given his personality, these cards fit in with his style of play.
The HeronKizuna is the cousin of Ryu Al-Kajima, a noted Warrior specialist and one of the leaders of the Pack. She, like him, is quite weird; in fact, it is her tendency to stand still for long periods of time that earned her her nickname. She is a fourth-year student, currently enrolled in the Furies dorm.Roleplayed by desdendelle.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: Like Ryu, hinted at.
- Calling Your Attacks: So far we have Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack's Drago Strike, Mecha Phantom Beast Blackfalcon's Blackbird Bombing, Mecha Phantom Beast's Megaraptor's Raptor Dive, Mecha Phantom Beast Harrliard's Foxfire Missiles, Mecha Phantom Beast Tetherwolf's Tether Grab, Lightning Chidori's Thousand Bird Thunder and Thor, Lord of the Aesir's Thunder Hammer Strike. We also have a chant for Thor.
- Last Stand: Gets dropped to 300 Life Points and faces not one but two Destiny End Dragoons in her first tournament duel. Which she wins.
- The Nicknamer: Calls Zaq "Mr. Ham-and-Cheese".
- Olympus Mons: Her blank card reveals itself to be Guldfaxe of the Nordic Beasts... which she instantly Synchros into Thor, Lord of the Aesir.
- Theme Deck: Mecha Phantom Beasts, which are aeroplanes with animals' qualities.
A self-proclaimed "magician," Marvin and his "assistant" Ojama cards are annoying but also surprisingly powerful at times.
- Badass Normal: Both his tournament duels are against Shard wielders, and both times he relies on skill to overcome the mysterious card. Accentuated in the second one, when while Kizuna and Timmy both reveal that they have Aesir they use to defeat the Earthbound Immortals, Savio just pulls out all the stops. Both times he avoids any of the harmful effects of the Shards by simply not taking any damage once they hit the field.
- Challenge Seeker: Is always looking for new people to challenge.
- Calling Your Attacks: He has summon chants for each of his four Fusion monsters, each ending in "[NAME], Fusion Summoned!".
- Theme Deck: Gladiator Beasts - anthropomorphic animals themed after various gladiator fighting styles.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Appears to be a fairly normal kid in a wheelchair but is actually a female Canadian undercover agent.
Zaqiel "Zaq" Reyvana
Black-Hearted Forsaken Villain
Zaq is certainly the oddball of the new characters of the "third year". He seems to believe in curses, enjoys painful battles, has a past with a doomsday cult who believed him to be their Dark Messiah, seems charmingly over the top and rather strangely funny. He uses an Archfiend deck focusing around "recurrence."
- Beware the Silly Ones: In a recent three on three duel, he proved he can definitely hold his own, defeating Richard and George, and even beating Micah - sort of.
- Blood Knight / Combat Sadomasochist: Digs dealing out pain, and equally likes receiving it.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Very proud of his villainous nature. Word of Nick is that his childhood role model is Ishamael / Moridin.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: His Archfiend deck contains huge, terrifying demon lords. They're also very difficult to permanently be rid of.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Most of his more sociopathic acts are played for laughs, and he is generally a very awkward kid, though one who is very particular.
- Large Ham: Called Ham and Cheese for very good reason. Zaq knows one volume during duels; cacophony.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Disappears without a trace after the start of his tournament duel, and does not appear again.
Blake is the head of a Duel Mafia; in fact, his is the largest in the world. He appears as a kind of rival to Cyrus, powerful and behind the scenes, but usually using his connections for nefarious purposes. He is very protective of his little sister Anna, however, and lets her attend Duel Academy because he knows that Cyrus cares for the students and won't let anything happen to her. During the years between Second Year and The New Duel Academy, he appears to have begun actively helping Cyrus and Duel Academy in thanks for taking care of Anna.
Your connection to the Pro League
Milton is Scott's cousin, and a duelist in the Pro League. According to him, he's one of the lesser-known duelists that have a very hard time because they don't have as many connections or fame. He was the one who got Scott into dueling, though he didn't know that until recently.
He's managed to give Jerry, Ryu, and Sean an opportunity to get into the Pro Leagues by pulling in connections.
- Informed Ability: Milton has been mentioned as a pro duelist for quite some time. We've never seen his deck, or what it includes. Could just be because it hasn't come up, though. Judging from his Duel Spirit, he probably runs a Malefic deck... like the one he keeps saying is illegal in tournaments.
- Uncle Pennybags: In a way. Showed up and gave Jerry (and, on Jerry's request, Ryu and Sean) a shot at the Pro Leagues.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Well, navy, but close enough.
Various Duel Spirits also play a part in the RP. Most characters have a personal Spirit as of the 2nd RP, though only Barnaby, Angela, and Cyrus had one in the first RP thanks to the curse- and even then, only because their Spirits were varying degrees of evil.
The Wickeds are The Wicked Avatar, The Wicked Eraser, and The Wicked Deadroot. Respectively, their cards are owned by Cyrus, Angie, and Barnaby. Each represents a different facet of evil; insanity, pain, and destruction.
The Wicked Avatar
Usually shortened to just 'Avatar', its visual form is a formless black mass that can change into various things.
- Bored with Insanity: Avatar is the second oldest existence in the universe, after The Winged Dragon of Ra itself. He's been dealing with the end of the world enough, and really doesn't care all that much anymore, especially since Cyrus is so entertaining. It also helps that there's enough crazy on and around the island for him to stay relatively strong.
Other spirits on the island may or may not eventually get categorized more specifically in the time coming.
Hamon, the Lord of Striking Thunder
As of this edit, revealed to be the Spirit sitting in Sean's head. Borderline crazy, and tAlKs LiKe ThIs.
- This Is Your Brain on Evil: His effect on Sean is either this or Grand Theft Me, since he's capable of talking with Sean normally during all this.
- You Fool!: To the level of bordering on Verbal Tic.
Uria, Lord of Searing Flames
A spirit that made a deal with Johnny's subconsious in order to un-seal itself. Has been described as Eraser Up to Eleven but without the success.
- Grand Theft Me: To Johnny. Johnny broke out of it, though.
Stardust DragonScott's enigmatic, and mostly quiet, duel spirit. He hasn't been a big impact on the current story, but has affected Scott's previous life, at least in so far as Scott thinks he has. Revealed to actually be Malefic Stardust Dragon, and Milton's spirit, not Scott's. He helps Milton return to the island to set their doomsday plan in motion.
- Painting the Medium: As with most duel spirits. His speech is purple.
- The Quiet One: Stardust doesn't speak nearly as often as the other spirits.
Ryu's duel spirit; been with him since before he went to the Academy. Has a tendency to make annoying comments.
Dark Red Enchanter
Tsuki's ex-Duel Spirit. Apparently, he only recently became aware that Tsuki could hear him, and vice versa. Has since been ditched after Tsuki switches up her deck.
- Broad Strokes: Technically, he fought alongside Yami Yugi against the Wicked Gods in their first appearance, but it hasn't had an effect on the plot at all.
- Put on a Bus: Apparently, Micheal has him now. Hasn't helped his appearance rate at all, though. And now he sacrificed himself to save the students in the crash.
Neo-Parshath, the Sky Paladin
Giery's ex-Duel Spirit. Responsible for the massive wound in Jerry's stomach and no small amount of headache for Rai while Giery still had him. Powerful enough to at least change a Duel into a partial version of a Shadow Game, and kind of a dick.
- Blood Knight: His approach to a problem? Kill things until it goes away.
- Start of Darkness: His original form was used against Venus in a Shadow Game. Maybe that's where it all went wrong for him?
- Obviously Evil: Right down to the cackling proclamations of power.
Artorigus, King of the Noble Knights
Jason Camlann's Duel Spirit. Appeared to him after getting his arse kicked by a load of bullies at school who stole his custom made patriotic field spell, "Albion, Land of Hope and Glory". He wants to be reincarnated into the hearts of every Englishman to regain Britain's standing as a noble and proud nation. To do this, he needs Jason's lost field spell and his sword, Excalibur, so he is bonded to Jason for this very purpose.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: To Jason's Blue, Artorigus' traditional approach to life and in the manners of his speaking lead him to be the most wild of the two.