- "I know I tend to be dense, even when something's obvious. I'm just a bit slow Not insensitive."
Rokuro is an amateur wizard who crash-landed head-first into Akemi's yard one day in April. He seems to attract trouble wherever he goes, and seldom comes up with a way to get out of it by himself. He also seems to have a crush on Akemi despite the fact that she's taken.
- Accidental Pervert: Not as much as the usual character type would imply, but still more often than hed like.
- Apologizes a Lot: Played for laughs, most of the time.
- Bare Your Midriff: When hes not wearing his light blue shirt.
- Berserk Button: It would be very wise not to feel up Akemi in Rokuro's presence, lest you wind up unconscious in the middle of the city with the bones in your face broken and a bloody nose to match.
- Big Eater: He claims his metabolism is at fault for this.
- Buttmonkey: This sums it up nicely:Rokuro: *thinking* Okay, let me think this out. It's the middle of the night; I'm outside in the yard; I'm currently being hunted down by Akemi for reasons I don't know or understand; and I'm in my underwear. My only question is this: WHY!?
- Cheated Angle: His hair.
- Character Tics: He fixes his headband when hes embarrassed, when he needs to think, when hes confused, ect.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: He digs himself so deep into situations you'd think he'd go right through the Earth's crust.
- Elemental Powers: The Daia Charms.
- Gray Eyes
- Hand Behind Head
- High-Pressure Emotion: Oh, he's definitely guilty of this.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: Competent Type 1 wizard and seemingly proficient in martial arts.
- The Nose Knows: His sense of smell is somehow very strong...
- Not a Morning Person: Extremely evident, by early chapters.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Rokuro is a rather... dense... person, and can't seem to think things through, which amounts to loads of trouble for him. However, he's shown that he can handle himself professionally when the situation calls for it. The tenth arc illustrates this well, when he and Maruchi are working on an exorcism in Rie's house. Not to mention his apparent hidden genius when it comes to math equations.
- Omniglot: Rokuro notes that he can speak Japanese, English, Italian, and Spanish fluently because of the job he has back home - He's a delivery boy for the different sects and domains of Mahokkai. Apparently, the different areas all speak different languages.
- He can also speak "some" Esperanto, write in Tibetan (He claims everyone in his home world can do this), and read Latin. Akemi is rightfully floored by this.
- Power Crystal: His Keifu (The purple gem attached to his shirt).
- Tsundere: There's really no other reason to describe his personality. He goes from an argumentative, back-talking, lazy idiot to a full-on Shrinking Violet idiot when he's around Akemi - Complete with pronoun changes to match. (He uses ore addressing himself normally, but uses boku when speaking to his hostess.)
Akemi Segawa (瀬雅琶明美)
- "Oh, come on; don't be like that. I'm trying to compliment you."
16-year-old shrine maiden who likes to think of herself as one of the sanest people she knows. While most of the time she's considered a tomboy, when she's with Daisuke, she goes into a surprisingly girly, dere-dere mode. She has little tolerance for stupidity, and likes things to go her way.
And yes, the orange hair is natural.
- Anime Hair: The only (?) human to invoke this trope - Every other non-magic character is shown to have a normal, black/brown coloring. Even Rokuro thinks that her hair color is weird.
- Maruchi comments that the color is "rather atypical for someone of her background".
- Battle Aura: When she's really pissed.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Has at least two fangirls.
- Honorifics: Uses these with nearly everyone.
- In the Blood: Minus the obvious phenotype differences, Akemi is basically a female version of her father.
- Magic Skirt: Her uniform one, anyway. She wears pants under her casual skirt, so that doesn't count.
- Miko: She's introduced as one, but is hardly seen in action.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Rapunzel Hair
- Secret Keeper: Of Rokuro and Maruchis otherworldly status.
- Skirt over Slacks: Her signature style.
- Spell My Name with an "S": While her surname is a common one, the spelling is not. Segawa is usually spelled as 瀬川 ("Shallows" and "river"), but Akemi's last name is written as 瀬雅琶 ("Shallows", "grace", "lute").
- Strong Family Resemblance: Her bangs and eyes are different, but other than that Akemi is nearly a clone of Hazuki.
- Sweet Tooth: One of her weaknesses. Rie usually cajoles Akemi into going with her to the Cosplay Café because of the desserts there.
- Throw the Book at Them: One of the few things she shares in common with Maruchi - A love of using books to beat sense into clueless wizards.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Parfait.
- Tsundere: Type B.
Maruchi (丸智) / Maruchirō Kyoyoseikan (炯妖凄感丸智婁)
- "You need to have a serious talk with yourself, Rokuro. Or at least with your common sense. I'm sure it misses you."
Maruchi is Rokuro's majikyou (Magic instructor) who made his first appearance in chapter seven as a purple kitten. He is barely half of Rokuro's height, and tends to be classified as either a huge jerk or a brat. However, despite his outward appearance, he is actually close to three hundred years old and has an IQ more than two times higher than Isaac Newton's. He's also known to be racist against humans, and sometimes even sexist, but not to any particularly serious degress.
- Anime Hair
- Berserk Button: Calling him a kid. Just... Just don't."You... Do not... call me... a CHILD!"
- As of chapter 11-2, he seems to have a new Berserk Button: Asking him why he was trapped in the body of a child.
- Big Eater
- Brutal Honesty: Not one of his better qualities...
- Catgirl: Catboy.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Deadpan Snarker
- Fingerless Gloves: Wears these, though it's less because of Rule of Cool and more because they hide the marks on his hands left behind by his curse.
- Fish out of Water: Though may be not as bad as his student.
- Humans Are Bastards: Indefinitely his point of view.
- Jerkass: He zigzags between this and Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Kemonomimi / Unusual Ears: Cat ears and a tail.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Has an IQ in the 400s, but knows absolutely nothing about humans or the first dimension.
- Kubrick Stare: Probably the extent of his usual facial expressions. Especially while hes an adult.
- Kung-Fu Clairvoyance: Rokuro can't get the drop on him, no matter what he does.
- The Nose Knows
- Older Than They Look: 291 years old and he looks like he's seven or eight. In his child form, anyway.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Maruchi is actually short for Maruchirō.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Utilizes this.
- Rokuro is convinced that it isn't actually made out of paper.
- Shapeshifter: Alternates between his default form, a kitten◊, and his human disguise.
- Secretly Wealthy: He's the second son of a high-ranking duke and duchess; and he's kept this secret for so long that not even Rokuro knew.
- Shapeshifter Default Form: His child form. Though recently, we've learned that this was just another transformation. His real default form is that of a full-grown adult.
- Throw The Book At The Wizard: Or just dump water on him. Maruchi seems to favor that option as well.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Apples. He really likes apples.
Shigeru Segawa (瀬雅琶茂)
- "Look, you pervert. It would do you some good to listen. This isn't your house. You can't just do whatever you want - And my daughter is at the top of that list!"
Shigeru is Akemi's Overprotective Dad and Meiko's more sensible younger brother by four years. He is noted to have no real, steady job, but is both an English tutor and the substitute coach for his old high school's kendo team. Sometimes he helps his sister with the drafts for her comic because she's usually too busy or lazy to do them herself.
- Alliterative Name
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Meiko. Its not that hes annoying by other peoples standards, but to his sister, his strict personality is extremely irritating and frustrating.
- Battle Aura
- Gratuitous English: Granted, given what he does for one of his jobs.
- Hyperspace Bamboo Sword / Katana
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: All but said when Shigeru decides to let Rokuro and Maruchi stay at the shrine. Said phrase is directed only at Rokuro.
- Looming Silhouette of Rage: Run, Rokuro, run!
- Only Sane Man: He thinks so.
- Overprotective Dad: In spades."Kindly remove your hands from my daughter's shoulders before I remove something of yours."
- Parents Walk In at the Worst Time: A talent of his.
- Precision F-Strike: After seeing a nearly-naked Rokuro holding an unconscious Akemi.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's far more Hot-Blooded than his rival.
- Scary Shiny Glasses
- Secret Keeper
- Selective Obliviousness: No matter when, where, or what our wizard friend is doing, Shigeru will always assume that Rokuro's trying to get into his daughter's pants.
- ... Which may or may not die down a little after chapter 36, where circumstances reveal that Rokuro doesn't know what a "virginity" is. Shigeru, like Akemi, is stunned speechless by his naivete.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: A fear of flying, which he shares with Akemi.
Rie Hirota (尋田利江)
- "I knew ghosts and spirits were real! My fantasies aren't fantasies after all!"
Rie is Akemi's classmate and foil best friend. She's very much into the occult and the idea of magic, and acts very enthusiastic about it. Rie is also a proud Otaku, and a fangirl of Izumi Rio. She is great at school, especially English, despite the fact that all she does during class it read (Whether it be manga or an occult book). She's also Daisuke's younger sister by a year.
- Agent Mulder: Towards anything pertaining to the occult.
- All Work VS All Play: Her brother and her.
- Annoying Younger Sibling
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Genki Girl: Rie manages to be a completely straight example, and still be into the topic of death.
- Meganekko: Definitely a subversion.
- Mind Rape: Goes through this from chapter 24 to 26.
- Omniglot: Speaks Japanese and English, and can read Latin. She also communicates with her cousins in Europe, so it's likely that she knows more than that.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Well... As ordinary as she can get.
- Otaku Fangirl
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Akemi outright says that Rie has no need for glasses; Rie just likes the fact that make her look even more like an otaku.
- Shout-Out: Usually the one responsible for them.
- Smart People Wear Glasses
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Verbal Tic: "Accha!"
Daisuke Hirota (尋田大輔)
- "Just who the hell do you think you are, touching my girlfriend like that!?"
Daisuke is Rie's older brother, Akemi's boyfriend, and a second year student at Okashii High. By his profile, he's shown to be a B+ student and a member of the kendo team. He's a truly nice guy with good morals, and is absolutely the sanest person in the cast, but will fly off the handle if you do anything to upset or hurt Akemi. Your ass is grass, then. Like Rokuro, Daisuke is afraid of Shigeru.
- A Day in the Limelight: Nichijo-Seikatsu: The Kendoist details his typical routine.
- All Work VS All Play: With Rie. He's the former.
- Anime Hair: It's described as off-white gray.
- Berserk Button: Mentioned in the short bio above. He doesn't take kindly to people hurting Akemi in any way.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: He has dark skin and pale hair.
- Happily Adopted: It's at least hinted at.
- Love Interest
- Only Sane Man: His original role. Further in, it's clear he has a few quirks of his own to work out.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Slipknot Ponytail
- The Unfavorite: Kiyomi Hirota doesn't seem to make connections with either of her children, but she will tolerate Rie more than Daisuke.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Mitsumame.
Hizen Umiyoshi (海葦氷山)
- "Give my best regards and apology to your father, will you? Oh, and tell Rokuro and Maruchi that they did a good job as well."
Hizen is Akemi's slightly creepy substitute homeroom teacher. He was Shigeru's classmate back when they attended high school, and still holds some amount of enmity towards him. He became a permanent part of the cast upon learning about his rival's houseguests.
- A Lighter Shade of Grey: His morals are rather ambiguous, as is his relationship with Shigeru.
- Exact Eavesdropping: He pretends to be unconscious after the effects of the Kogyoku Oneira wear off. It's how he realizes Rokuro and Maruchi aren't human.
- Meaningful Name: When read differently, his first name means "iceberg". Fitting, considering he's the ice to Shigeru's fire.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Hizen is calm, collected, and always cool. Shigeru is anything but.
- The Rival: To Shigeru. Stems from their high school days.
- Secret Keeper
- Slipknot Ponytail
Hideki Miura (海卜ひでき)
- "Hey, if there's ever a way, you wanna go on a date with me?"
Hideki is the only other wizard known at the moment. He is Rokuro's best friend, and extremely confident when it comes to getting girls. Even though he's never succeeded once. He just comes off as a pervert. He's also been known to screw up and slack off, and even has a schedule made for skipping classes. Despite these qualities, Hideki is shown to be very concerned with the wellfare of his friends, and is helping Rokuro keep the fact that he's now on Earth for a year secret.
- Anime Hair
- Bromantic Foil
- Extraverted Nerd
- Half Identical Twin: It's mentioned that he has a twin sister named Kyoko.
- Idiot Hair
- Lame Comeback: Hideki is full of these.
- Nerd Glasses: He even fixes them in a nerdy fashion.
- No Respect Guy: Sometimes more than Rokuro, which is saying something.
- Purple Eyes
Shichi (志智) / Shichirō Kyoyoseikan (炯妖凄感志智婁)
Shichi is another resident of Kitakuvaaraji. He first appears as an evil spirit, scaring Rie from her home so he could live there while training to become a majikyou, but is later caught and revealed to be a very talkative boy with the power to control shadows. Shichi is also revealed to be Maruchi's second and youngest brother, and admires him very much. He's two hundred and ten years old and colorblind (Which partly explains his horrible taste in fashion).
- Anime Hair: Best example of it in this story so far.
- Annoying Younger Sibling
- Big Eater: Probably, like every other boy in this series (Excluding Daisuke). He did manage to stuff six cookies (And counting) in his mouth at once.
- Catboy: He may be lacking the ears, but his feet are green paws, and he purrs.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Honorifics: Shichi always refers to Maruchi as onii-sama.
- Informed Flaw: He's colorblind.
- Info Dump: Pretty much drops this on everyone when he makes his appearance, sealing his fate as another Motor Mouth.
- Kemonomimi: Well, he has a twin-tipped tail, in any case. His ears are fake.
- Living Shadows: As a shadow general, he has control over these. They're rather weak, though.
- Motor Mouth: God, yes.
- Multicolored Hair
- Older Than They Look: 210 years old, and looks like a young teenager.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He isn't referred to as Shichirō unless he's giving a self-introduction.
- "I suppose some things just don't change in some centuries and a half Though I shouldn't be surprised. Both your heart and blood were always cold."
Another resident of Kitakuvaaraji and Shichi's mentor. She runs an occult shop in the heart of the city, where she first came across Rokuro, Akemi, and Rie. Sandra despises Maruchi due to their past history, but is civil enough to speak with him evenly without losing her cool often.
- Aerith and Bob: Amidst the traditional Japanese names, Sandra seems like an odd addition. (Even if it's spelled that way due to the kanji pronunciation.)
- Anime Hair
- Blinding Bangs: They reach halfway down her face.
- Body Snatcher
- People Puppets: Directly shown to be able to control another person's body.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead
- Heroes Want Redheads: Maruchi explicitly stated that they once had a sex-based relationship in the past... Though whether he actually wanted her or was just using her to get her Falcari pendant is left ambiguous.
- Human Shield: An indirect example. She tells Maruchi that if she dies, Akemi and Rokuro will be going with her.
- Implied Death Threat
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Here.
- Telepathy: It's implied that she possesses this.
- Unusual Ears: As seen in the above-linked picture, Sandra's ears aren't just pointed; they have two points on top and one near the bottom of her earlobe.
Meiko Segawa (瀬雅琶命子)
- "He's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!"
Meiko was the first other Segawa family member to get a formal introduction in Mabaka!. She is the eccentric older sister of Shigeru, and Akemi's only aunt. She's an extremely happy person, and makes her feelings and thoughts known loudly and bluntly. She loves her little brother very much, and is insulted by the fact that he refuses to work with her on her manga, Yamato Master.
She is married to Tsukkomi, and has a daughter, Emiri.
- Berserk Button: Apparently, bringing up the topic of her age is a sore spot for her.
- Catchphrase: See her quote.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Genki Girl: Even at her age...
- Insistent TerminologyIt's not a comic, it's art!
- She also insists that Akemi call her 'Aunt Meiko' instead of 'Meiko-obasan', simply because she thinks Akemi needs to work on her English.
- Lethal Chef: Is incapable of making food edible. Her whole family dreads it when she walks into a kitchen.
- Marshmallow Hell: Makes Rokuro suffer this when she first meets him.
- Motor Mouth
- No Indoor Voice
Tsukkomi Segawa (瀬雅琶月混)
- "Very sorry to disturb you, Shigeru-san... We'll just be on our way now."
The most worrisome character of the story. He's a company worker who married into the Segawa family by marrying Meiko. He's a rather nervous man, and he's known to apologize a lot - Mainly to Shigeru. When altercations break out between the two siblings, Tsukkomi is the one who tries to remain neutral and calm them down. He's also the tallest character in the series.
He has a single daughter named Emiri.
- Apologizes a Lot: Usually it's for Meiko and her genki-ness.
- Idiot Hair: Even though he's not an idiot.
- Meaningful Name: His name is written as 月混, with the kanji for "moon" and "blend, confuse". The phrase tsukkomi is usually written to mean "straight man".
- Only Sane Man: What keeps him from being the straight man of the series? The person he married. Seriously, he can't be completely sane if he married the Motormouth Mangaka out of his own free will...
- Opposites Attract: Probably the only way a quiet man like him wound up with a woman like Meiko.
Emiri Segawa (瀬雅琶笑理)
- "Why do I have to be around the crazies my entire life?"
Emiri is Akemi's eleven-year-old cousin. She's the daughter of Tsukkomi and Meiko, and seems to be more like her father than her mother. She has more common sense than most of her family does, as it's noted by Akemi. She may or may not be classified as a know-it-all, depending on who you ask. Apparently, she wants to go into the medical field when she's older. She also tends to invariably tick Rokuro off whenever they speak.
- Deadpan Snarker: Comes and goes with her mood.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Possibly. It's clear she does some serious studying in her spare time just from the explanation of eye colors she gives.
Hazuki Segawa (瀬雅琶葉月)
Akemi's mother and Shigeru's dead wife. Not much is known about her, other than that she was very beautiful and "went away" at a young age.
- Anime Hair: Where do you think Akemi gets it from?
- Hime Cut
- Posthumous Character
- Rapunzel Hair: Even longer than Akemi's.
- Stalker with a Crush: Seems to be how her relationship with Shigeru started out. She's rather innocent, though, and nowhere near as bad as other examples of this trope.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Her daughter is nearly the spitting image of her.
The major part of Rokuro's magic is him utilizing different elements and weapons. Unfortunately, his uniform isn't the only thing that changes when he activates them...
Tropes that apply to all of the charms (So far):
- Anime Hair
- Badass Adorable: It's still Rokuro...
- Calling Your Attacks
- Color-Coded Elements
- Color-Coded Wizardry
- Elemental Powers: Well, duh.
- Flight: Rokuro can fly without his broom when using a charm.
- Funny Schizophrenia: Jokes are already being made about Rokuro's mental state.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: While competent on his own, Rokuro's abilities get a big enhancement when he uses one of the Daia Charms.
- Meaningful Name —> Theme Naming
- Rudaia: Ruby + diamond
- Vendaia: Ventus (Wind in Latin) + diamond
- Named Weapons: The Hitorigama and Furyuhiko.
- Personality Powers: Taken to a literal extreme.
- Transformation Trinket
- Voice Changeling: Rokuro's voice changes with his charms as well.
The fire element, giving Rokuro a boost to his speed, strength, confidence, and arrogance.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!
- Battle Aura: One so blazing that it gives away his position when he's invisible.
- Fire Is Red
- Hot-Blooded: No pun intended.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Named Weapons: The Hitorigama, the "fire bird's sickle". The blade portion of it turns to flames when fully activated.
- Playing with Fire
- Shout-Out: Rudaia's voice sample was Tetsuya Kakihara, who voices another hot-blooded fire-using wizard...
- Sinister Scythe: The Hitorigama again. Though considering Rokuro is the one weilding it, it probably shouldn't be counted as "sinister".
The wind element, encompassing Rokuro's common sense (Yes, he has some) and work-a-holic side of himself.
- Attention-Deficit Disciple: Averted. Vendaia allows Rokuro more intense concentration than normal.
- Blow You Away
- Battle Boomerang: His Furyuhiko ("wind dragon coming back").
- Deadpan Snarker: Rokuro shows some shades of this anyway, but Vendaia really kicks it up a few notches.
- Establishing Character Moment: Saving Akemi, and then ripping into her for interrupting his training. She takes it as well as you'd think she would.
- Hammerspace: When reading, it's clear that Rokuro pulled the Furyuhiko right from under his cape. With no explanation whatsoever, unlike with Rudaia's Hitorigama.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: His mouth and blunt criticism makes Akemi label this side of him as a complete asshole. Yet he still abandons his battle with Maruchi to save her from being crushed by a tree.
- Named Weapons: The Furyuhiko.
- Razor Wind: The Kuzuryuu Kamaitachi spell creates these.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: It's Rokuro, so it's very surprising that he can be cold and distant in the first place.
- Wind Is Green