The Shinjuku Division representatives. Led by former The Dirty Dawg member and doctor Jakurai Jinguji, the team consists of him, host Hifumi Izanami, and office worker Doppo Kannonzaka. Their representative color is gray.
Click here to go back to the main character index.
- Animal Motifs: Wolves, as the name "Matenro" contains the kanji character for wolf.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Hifumi is blonde, Jakurai is brunette (well, dark purple-haired), and Doppo is a redhead.
- Fire Forged Friendship
- Foil: To the Shibuya Division, which is often highlighted by their interactions in the drama CDs. Compared to the very pop-y and colorful Fling Posse, Matenro is has a somber and serious aura.
- Motifs: Silver crosses, which can be found as the buttons of Jakurai's shirt, on Hifumi's belt, and on Doppo's tie clip. It goes along with their Religious and Mythological Theme Naming.
- Multicolored Hair: Jakurai's is purple/lavender, Hifumi's is blonde/green, and Doppo's is orange/blue.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: The Matenro members' surnames all contain motifs associated with religion and mythological goddesses from Japanese mythology.
- Jinguji means "heavenly temple/shrine".
- Izanami is the name of a Japanese Shinto goddess of creation.
- Kannon (Guan Yin in Chinese) is a Bodhisattva goddess associated with Mahayana Buddhism in East Asia.
- The name "Matenro" itself contains the character for "heaven".
open/close all folders
Jakurai Jinguji (ill-DOC)
Jakurai Jinguji (ill-DOC)
Voiced by: Sho Hayami
Birthday: January 9 (Capricorn)
Height: 195 cm
A doctor, the leader of Matenro, and a former member of The Dirty Dawg.
- Alliterative Name
- Aloof Dark Haired Guy: Averted. His design may give you this impression, but as a therapist, he's actually rather warm and welcoming.
- Badass Baritone: Naturally comes from being voiced by the deep-voiced Sho Hayami himself.
- Badass Longcoat
- Berserk Button: Ramuda, it seems. As Gentaro notes, Jakurai is known for being "so saintly that he wouldn't hurt a fly", yet he is openly hostile towards Ramuda.
- Big Good: Most of the rest of the cast seems to respect him and his work, even Samatoki. The sole exception is Ramuda, of course.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Turns into an aggressive drunk after a single glass of champagne, traumatizing Hifumi and Doppo from ever attempting to drink with him again.
- Combat Medic: In terms of the Hypnosis Mic world. His rapping heals and defends himself and others instead of attacking.
- He was once a combat medic in the more traditional sense as well, working as a doctor on the front lines during WWIII.
- Dark Is Not Evil: His raps tend to have a sombre or eerie tone, with lyrics featuring unsettling imagery such as "piercing the enemy with venomous fangs", but he is a calm, polite, and good-natured person in his day-to-day life.
- Deadly Doctor: Doesn't seem to actually be one in his everyday life, but he sometimes plays as one in his raps. It's most notable in Division Rap Battle and BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE.
- Foil: To Ramuda.
- Gentle Giant
- Healing Hands: Healing voice, to be precise. His rap can be used to heal others. It's unknown if this has anything to do with his occupation as a doctor.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Has very long hair that reaches his legs.
- Older Than They Look: At a glance, you wouldn't expect that he's in his mid-thirties.
- Precision F-Strike: Drops a "motherfucker" in Division Rap Battle. It's censored in the YouTube version, though.
- Professional Killer: Used to be an infamous assassin with a 100% kill rate. He then disappeared about ten years before he and Ramuda met; according to Ramuda, he's "been playing doctor ever since".
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
Hifumi Izanami (GIGOLO)
Hifumi Izanami (GIGOLO)
Voiced by: Ryuichi Kijima
Birthday: June 22 (Cancer)
Height: 179 cm
A host with an extreme fear of women.
- Chick Magnet: Unfortunately, he's terrified of all women, and needs to put on a suit jacket and switch to an entirely different personality before he can even talk to them.
- Childhood Friends: With Doppo.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Apparently thought Ramuda's name was "Shiguma". He also thought that the best way to deal with his fear of all the women of Chuoku was to put on his suit jacket. You know, the one that turns him into a charismatic womanizer.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Shinjuku's #1 host, he's popular to the point of attracting murderous stalkers and hordes of fangirls.
- Flower Motifs: Yellow roses, as shown in his attire. His hypnosis speakers are also in the shape of roses.
- Foil: To Gentaro.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Is blonde and also a Nice Guy who patiently takes care of his perpetually depressed childhood friend. There's also the fact that he goes to Jakurai to seek an assistance to help his troubled stalker.
- Host Club: Works as one to help get over his fear of women.
- Innocently Insensitive: At times, such as when he kept asking Jakurai about his bad blood with Ramuda despite Jakurai stating that he didn't want to talk about it, or when he continued insulting Gentaro's sense of fashion even when it became obvious that Gentaro was pissed off.
- In-Series Nickname: Tells people to call him Hifumin.
- Japanese Pronouns: Uses "orecchi" regularly, but switches to "boku" in his host mode.
- Keet: Very enthusiastic, outspoken and outgoing, mostly in his "Hifumin"/normal personality whenever there's no women around.
- Odd Friendship: His relationship with Doppo. Doppo's pessimistic, Hifumi is absurdly upbeat and chipper. Doppo is a no-name average salaryman, Hifumi is a well-known and popular host.
- Punny Name: "Hifumi" means "1-2-3". "Gigolo" in Japanese is pronounced similarly to "shigoro", would could be translated to "4-5-6". So "Hifumi Gigolo" could also mean "1-2-3 4-5-6".
- Real Men Cook: Often cooks for both him and Doppo.
- Security Blanket: His suit jacket.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: To fit his job as a host.
- Those Two Guys: With Doppo. They're rarely seen apart. Gentaro even lampshades it in the Me Against The World drama track.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Has a rather severe case of gynophobia. This isn't helped by the fact the girls he attracts are romantically insane.
Doppo Kannonzaka (DOPPO)
Doppo Kannonzaka (DOPPO)
Voiced by: Kento Ito
Birthday: May 15 (Taurus)
Height: 175 cm
An exhausted office worker with a pessimistic personality.
- Affectionate Nickname: Hifumi sometimes calls him Doppochin.
- Apologises a Lot: Due to the stress of his job. He even apologizes in his raps and his sleep.
- He is often also forced to apologize for Hifumi's actions.
- Catchphrase: "It's all my fault, it's all my fault..."
- He sometimes even says this about things that are clearly not in his control, like his little brother failing his exams or the fact that it rained. Jakurai's trying to get him to break this habit.
- Childhood Friends: With Hifumi.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Towards Hifumi.
- Crazy-Prepared: Put down a mattress by the building Hifumi's stalker was on top of in case someone fell over, saving both Hifumi and his stalker's life.
- Foil: To Dice. While Doppo works a repetitive, tedious office job, Dice is a thrill-seeker who's terrified of being held down by responsibilities and boredom.
- The Eeyore: To wit: his character image is of him miming choking himself.
- In-Universe Catharsis: Since his mic is his work phone, the ability to rap harsh lyrics into it may just be him blowing off steam at either his boss or his co-workers.
- Odd Friendship: His relationship with Hifumi. Doppo's pessimistic, Hifumi is absurdly upbeat and chipper. Doppo is a no-name average salaryman, Hifumi is a well-known and popular host.
- Only Friend: Hifumi, according to his profile. However, as the series goes on, he develops a friendship with Jakurai as well.
- Perpetual Frowner: Almost never seen smiling in his official arts, but the album art for DEATH RESPECT shows him in an angered expression, as if he's finally snapping.
- Real Name as an Alias: Unlike the rest of the cast, his MC name is just his first name.
- Ridiculously Average Guy: His profile states that his most notable characteristic is that he has no notable characteristics.
- Soul-Crushing Desk Job: His life as a salaryman did such a number on him, perpetual gloom and exhaust is his default expression.
- Those Two Guys: With Hifumi. They're rarely seen apart. Gentaro even lampshades it in the Me Against The World drama track.