Graduates from the Janus House of the Academy of Merlin.
A soft-spoken elf boy who's a lot older than he looks.
- Berserk Button:
- Don't try to harm Muna, or he'll go for your head.
- Don't imply that Nola is dead because of him, and don't imply he was unwanted by his mother.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: He can actually put up a very good fight when he has no other option. Or when he loses his temper, which happens even less frequently.
- Body Snatcher: As a mask, End latched onto others and essentially sucked the life out of them.
- Dark Secret: End is much older than he looks, and before he got his body back he was literally the mask he always wore.
- Diary: Here.
- Friend to All Living Things: It's hard to find someone that End doesn't like.
- Hates Being Touched: Since getting his original body back, End is very sensitive to physical contact. Completely averted now; now he wants Muna to touch him, but Muna won't due to the physical contact rule.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Doesn't think very highly of himself at all.
- Iconic Item: His hat, given to him by Muna.
- The Idealist: Tries to push for the best situation every time. Unfortunately, Reality Ensues very often and his hopes don't come to fruition.
- MayDecember Romance: He may be physically and mentally a teen, but End is nearly a century and a half old. And dating Muna.
- Meaningful Name: Endymion, in Greek mythology, was an exceptionally handsome mortal who was put into a deep sleep by the goddess Selene.
- Mysterious Mist: A mistwielder.
- No Face Under the Mask: When his mask was removed while he was still inhabiting Tadion, or any of his other hosts for that matter.
- The So-Called Coward: End always looks for the path of least resistance, but when push comes to shove he really won't back down in the slightest.
- Technician vs. Performer: The Technician to Shanta's Performer. End will always try the most peaceful route first, and will always look for the solution that ends with no one getting hurt. Shanta, on the other hand, doesn't mind if she gets roughed up as long as her opponents look worse than she does.
- Verbal Tic: "..."
An elf who just wants to fight everyone.
- Animal Motif: Associated with bugs.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Very easily distracted.
- Berserk Button: Pretty easily pushed regardless, but you do not mess with Finley.
- Boisterous Weakling: They'll definitely wave their fists and shout, but Elvira is weak as hell.
- Determinator: Has the highest willpower stat of anyone at Merlin.
- Doesn't Trust Those Guys: Doesn't trust adults or anyone Skye says not to. Well, the last one's up in the air, considering what happened to Fin.
- For Great Justice: Believes in the concept of justice, and gets angry when something happens that goes against their ideals.
- Iconic Item: Their bracelet, which doubles as their channeler. They sold it off to pay for Fin's medical bills.
- Motor Mouth: They can talk a lot, and only a few people tend to actually listen. Gwen actually likes them a lot for this reason.
- Rapunzel Hair: Not as extreme as the other examples, but their hair reaches down her waist.
A Perky Goth elf girl who's always, always smiling. Always.
- Getting Smilies Painted on Your Soul: Jinxed to be incapable of feeling anything other than happiness. Thanks, mom and dad.
- Hollywood Acid: An acidwielder.
- Iconic Item: Her parasol, which doubles as her channeler.
- Meaningful Name: "Adriene" is a spin on the French word for "dark".
- Phoneaholic Teenager: Almost always texting her mom on her phone when she's not engaging in conversation.
- Stepford Smiler: Always either smiling, or not. There is no in between. Not like she has much of a choice.
Olivia "Egg" Johnson
A cute girl with a penchant for photography. And eggs.
- Badass Adorable: Capable of fending for herself and cute to boot. Proves herself in this trope fighting off dwarves in Germany. Sure, she got thrown against the wall, but she still did pretty darn well.
- Berserk Button: Egg is nice and all until you threaten her friends. Then she's terrifying.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: Egg doesn't like anything that makes her friends upset, and she's willing to go to terrifying ends to ensure their happiness.
- Camera Fiend: Takes pictures of a lot of things, to make sure they last forever.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Generally only referred to as Egg, never Olivia.
- Jail Bait: Inverted with her lust crush on Whit. Egg herself has repeatedly said she needs to go to jail.
- Memento MacGuffin: A friendship bracelet - one she didn't make with the rest of the food group.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: If it makes her friends happy, what else matters?
An Egyptian girl who uses a combination of Egyptian and school spells, and who didn't have that eyepatch before. Capable of holding her own. (Unless she's up against her brother or cousin.)
- Bare Your Midriff: Ziza's first semester outfit - wears a short-sleeved crop jacket, red pants, black boots, and a yellow bandage top. Carries through to second semester as well.
- Big Sister Instinct: She's awfully protective of her younger brother.
- A Birthday, Not a Break: Happy birthday Ziza! You lost an eye. Also your cousin's eye. And your little brother. Sorry about that.
- Bold Explorer: Explores dig sites back home with her brother and father.
- Brainy Brunette: Good at studying, and has long brown hair.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Ziza could avoid a whole lot of drama if she just talked.
- Combat Aestheticist: Her fighting style is flashier than it needs to be, something that Jack has called her out on more than once.
- Combat Stilettos: How Ziza pulls off those kicks in those boots is anyone's guess, but she manages.
- Curtains Match the Windows: Brown hair, brown eyes.
- Dangerous 16th Birthday: Most kids get a car for their sixteenth birthday. Ziza gets her worst enemy and angst.
- Deadly Dodging: Most of her fighting style is comprised of ducking out of her opponent's way before attacking.
- Determinator: She isn't about to let the fact that her brother nearly killed her get in the way of her protecting him.
- Despair Event Horizon: Hovered on the edge for a while, but she pushed herself over when she banished Seth to the Duat along with Apophis.Ziza: I'm done trying. I give up.
Jack: (later) .......I've never heard her say "I give up" before.
- Dishing Out Dirt: A stonewielder that specializes in small pebbles or, better, sand. She's getting better at wielding properly though.
- Eyepatch After Timeskip: Returning to Merlin with an eyepatch that she didn't have before she left.
- Eye Scream: Her left eye is completely missing. Not marred, not blinded, just... missing. It mirror's Jack's missing right eye.
- Foil: Directly contrasts Jack. Ziza is social, ambitious, optimistic, cheerful, outgoing, and often acts on a whim. Jack is socially awkward and barely knows how to interact with anyone outside his family, quiet, pessimistic, and usually thinks before he acts. (Unless Ziza pushes his Berserk Button, but that's a different matter altogether.)
- Honey Trap: She laid it on thick to get them into Xander's base, and man did she succeed.
- Iconic Item: Her snake, which double as her channeler.
- In-Universe Nickname: Isis.
- It's All My Fault: Holds herself responsible for Seth's possession, Asa's fate, and the loss of Jack's eye and her own.
- I Work Alone: Keeps trying to invoke this, with disastrous results. Hopefully she's shaken out of it by now.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When Ziza Heqats out her snake, shit's about to go down.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Her reactions to Jack seriously injuring her on a regular basis are not what one would expect.Ziza: (to Jack) You broke the wall, you idiot.
Bambi: The wall? What about your arm!?
- Muscles Are Meaningful: Ziza is stronger than the average student, and she has the biceps to prove it.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Had this reaction when she accidentally banished her younger brother into the deepest part of the Duat along with Apophis. Oops.
- My Greatest Failure: Pins herself as responsible for Seth's possession, Asa's situation, and her own and Jack's missing eyes.
- Not a Morning Person: Ziza... really, really doesn't like getting up in the morning.
- Outnumbered Sibling: Ziza is the only girl of three.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Keeps her hair over the left half of her face.
- Power-Strain Blackout: Occurred after she used Ma'at to stop Apophis's Isfet. Jack managed to get her back, fortunately.
- Relative Button: Don't hurt her family, specifically her brothers. Just don't.
- Retractable Weapon: Her armlet snaps out into a staff at a word from her.
- Running Gag: Leaving doors open.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: Since she only has one eye uncovered, Ziza says "wink" when she's winking. (Bambi thinks it's cute.)
- Technician vs. Performer: The Performer to Asa's Technician. Ziza rarely has a plan when running into trouble, aside from going on the offensive and trusting that her brother has her back.
- Trauma Conga Line: Her precious pet bird dies in the hands of her cousin, and only months later her other cousin dies and she knows who's at fault. Lost her eye on her birthday, and then found out her little brother was possessed, and when her twin tried to go get more information because she was too scared to she lost him too.
An Indian elf girl who is disabled from the waist down. She gets around via a magic carpet named Shashi.
- Adrenaline Makeover: Shanta's style has definitely changed from her initial style. She went from being a traditionally-dressed Indian girl to a punkish rebel in just two years.
- Anger Born of Worry: She's angry when Muna tries to avoid herself and End for a week, mostly because she believes something must be wrong.
- Angst? What Angst?: In-Universe. If she's ever feeling upset, Shanta's first instinct is to hide it. Unfortunately for her, her friends know her well enough to call her out on this by now.
- Arranged Marriage: Was in one with the carpet maker's son, Daksha. Unfortunately, Vivian sort of murdered him so that's been called off.
- Asexuality: It's unknown if this was always the case, but it seems to have been cemented after she was raped.
- Beneath the Mask: Under that sunny demeanor is a girl suffering from events past.
- Berserk Button: Insult fairies at the risk of your own life.
- Bold Explorer: Provided she has mobility, Shanta does enjoy exploring her surroundings.
- Boyish Short Hair: After making up with Muna, he called one of the Merchant's fuckbuddies Marianne to give Shanta a much-needed haircut. And then she shaved half her head.
- Break the Cutie: Losing Shashi proved to be one traumatic event too many - enough to make her break down into tears.
- Clothing Damage: The pretty dress Ara lent her was ripped to shreds.
- Cultural Rebel: Averted, actually. Shanta doesn't openly push away her cultural ideals, just the ideals imposed upon her by her mother.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her best friend, Tara, sent her to slave traders to save her own skin, and Shanta was raped before rescue. Tara was banished, and in order to keep people from fussing over her too much Shanta began her Stepford Smiler routine.
- Deliberate Injury Gambit: Implied to be pulled not by Shanta, but by Shashi. Vivian revealed that she had been aiming at Shanta with that Break spell, yet Shashi had been the victim of the strike. Shashi bucked Shanta off to protect her from the shot - likely because Shashi knew that carpets could be put back together. Elves can't.
- Delinquent Hair: Shaved half of her head off and the ends are dyed red.
- Determinator: If Shanta sets her sights on something, good luck getting her to change her mind.
- Diary: Here.
- Disabled Snarker: Disabled from the waist down and is unafraid to snap at anyone she disagrees with.
- The Driver: Since she's the one with Shashi, Shanta's the one in charge of a quick getaway.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Frequently changes her hair as a symbol of character development. So far, she's cut her hair short, then dyed it red, then shaved half of it off.
- Forgets to Eat: Initially during her Heroic BSoD. It takes a lot of prodding from End, as well as tips from Muna, to get her to start eating regularly again.
- Fragile Speedster: Can fly around like nobody's business, but it doesn't take many hits to knock her off Shashi.
- Get Out!: Says this to Muna after their misunderstanding about "bait".
- Handicapped Badass: No legs? No problem. Always happy to partake in a little action. She's good at it too.
- His Story Repeats Itself: When she was captured by traders for the second time, Muna and End were around to help get her out.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Nearly died taking a hit of lightning to protect Vivian in the DS game.
- I Believe I Can Fly: Owns both a flying carpet and a feather that grants her wings.
- Important Haircut: After her Heroic BSoD passed, she got a haircut. And then dyed her hair red. And then shaved half of it off.
- The Insomniac: Once the game glitched, she was unable to get sleep for more than an hour a night. Thankfully, Ian fixed it, and now she sleeps peacefully.
- Legendary in the Sequel: Since graduating, Shanta has become a legend around campus. Most people are not actually convinced she's a real person.
- Malaproper: Tends to mix up the beginnings and endings of swears a lot. She's getting better, though.
- Muscles Are Meaningful: Her arms are ripped.
- The Navigator: Usually plays this role, since she can get a good view from the air.
- Near-Rape Experience: Had this second year, and it shook her up badly. She wasn't so lucky the next time.
- Not a Morning Person: If there's one thing Shanta dislikes more than schoolwork, it's getting up.
- The Runaway: Hasn't been home in a couple years, primarily to avoid meeting up with her mother.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Getting raped twice, losing Shashi multiple times and the Vivian incident as a whole was hard on her psyche.
- Shock and Awe: A sparkwielder.
- The Slacker: Doesn't keep up in her classes, except for healing. The rest she's doing the bare minimum to pass.
- Stepford Smiler: She mainly does this to keep people from worrying about her. Ironically, this is what makes Muna worried about her in the first place.
- Talking in Your Sleep: Does this occasionally. It's how several people heard about Tara before Shanta mentioned her while lucid.
- Technician vs. Performer: The Performer to both End and Muna's Technician. While Muna will use trickery to win and End will try the most idealistic route, Shanta will go into any fight guns blazing and fists swinging.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Just look at the quote below, to End. Shanta was emotionally compromised at the time, but that doesn't excuse anything she said.Shanta: What a pathetic boy you've become. No wonder your mother got rid of you the first chance she got.
The biggest bro in Merlin.
- Blow You Away: A windwielder.
- Bromantic Foil: An odd example. He is a boisterous, dorky guy that takes stupid risks and contrasts nicely with Magnus, who is quieter and more interested in people's wallets than themselves. It's an odd example because they're love interests at the same time.
- Casanova Wannabe: Flirts quite a bit. It might actually be effective if the people he flirted with were interested in boys or not Magnus. Alas, Ty has poor taste.
- Hidden Depths: At first he came off as a common fuckboy, but in reality Ty is an incredibly compassionate kid that shows nothing but kindness to everyone he meets.
- Iconic Item: His red-tinted glasses.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Has a LOT of siblings, and their names all start with "Ty".