and will keep this wiki fine:
I am... Alex/Sora Eighty-Nine!
Gateway article: Nonstandard Game Overnote
Click the edit button to start this new page.
G'd evening, gentlemen and ladies. This is Alex/Sora 89, the Italian troper who brought you, among other things, the Italian page for Nightmare Fuel
, the various page-images that now decorate some of the pages (including panels from the 34th issue
of What If?
) and even created
some of the articles (see: Powerless
and Bullet Points
). Oh, and those quotes by Italian comedian Omar Fantini about The Eighties
? My doing! note
My most recent work, as of this edit, is the article for the just-announced Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
: feel free to help with it!
And, given the Mini Marvels
article needs both More Love
and Wiki Magic Love
as well, feel free to help with both.
But please, take a seat, and — ya know what? Now that you're here, have some tea while I talk about, uh, myself.
You may have thought that such an introduction that you're reading about your typical Small Name, Big Ego
guy, but it's actually quite the opposite - not only there's a ridiculous amount of Self-Deprecation
when talking about either my skills or my flaws, but my tendency to apologise for even the least significant of mistakes makes me a male example of
Yamato Nadeshiko Shrinking Violet
, too - believe it or not.
I used to be a Butt Monkey
at school, but somehow I Got Better
and now I'm done with books. Thankfully.
However, my last school year has been made rougher by a textbook example of the Jerk Jock
to the point I nicknamed him the "quintessential jerk". However, after years
of waiting for
a girlfriend (because of my looks
), I finally received my first, True Love's Kiss
. When I was almost nineteen.
Still, now things are going nicely between me and, for lack of a better English name
, Faith. Our dates tend to border on Sickeningly Sweethearts
, reaching Tastes Like Diabetes
Given that, for me, now school's out for real
, I think it's time for me to look for a job - despite my dream is to start my own webcomic and make a living out of it (ŕ la Jeph Jacques
), since the-stuff-you-are-likely-to-find-at-comic-cons
has been my passion since my very birth and I've drawn stuff since I was a 4th-grader. The tentative title of its webcomic (as I'm currently imagining it, anyway) is a Zero Wingrish
mix of Gratuitous English
, Gratuitous Spanish
and Gratuitous Italian
, resulting in "El Webcomico Italiano"
I've been anonymously lurking the site since, on that fateful day, Wikipedia
brought me here through an external link. After the first page
of this website I browsed... well, you know... nothing has ever been the same anymore
I've now become a (self-appointed) member of the Society To Prevent Overly Original Names
, or SPOON
for short, the key word being "overly"
in terms of nonindicative trope names. note
As you might have noticed at the top of this page, I've recently created a Just-Bugs-Me
article for this very page
meant for those who feel annoyed by my hatred towards most of this site's "updates", as listed in this article.
If you want to defend them, you need to look no further than the article I just made. [EDIT: It's redlinked now.
However, following a brief suspension of my account in April 2012, and after finding out about The Second Google Incident
, I realised some of the site's changes actually are for the best, like the perma-redlink for Naughty Tentacles
. While my inner, formerly natter-loving
self sees this as a Face-Heel Turn
, most of the tropers' community is likely to think it's actually a Heel-Face Turn
instead. That's why you'll find instances of me actually REMOVING natter,
as you can see in the Nightmare Fuel cleanup thread.
(Just in case you're curious, this
is my current track record.)
However, the site's lost pages are still a touchy subject to me, which is why I created the article for Wayback Machine
and is the reason behind my interest in - and great respect for
- the site's unofficial archivist, Korodzik.
Check both pages out.
"I'm currently planning to use the new 'Quest editor' - or whatever it was called - in Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy
to create some fan fics
in playable form"... but I noticed that everything after that sentence was just getting too long
, even considering I'm on "my" page nownote
, so this section of the page has evolved into my very first Troper Works
page ever, which you can find here
Also, I saved un-launched YKTTW
drafts of mine, "potentially risque edits" (nothing NSFW, though) on the Alex Sora 89 Sandbox page,
where this kind of things is supposed to be shown as in a museum of sorts: the edits are displayed there, in a frozen state, for everyone to see. Provided you feel the need to see something hidden in a different namespace to begin with, anyway.
As of other stuff I've created, for those curious, I've recently downloaded "Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!"
on my recently-bought Nintendo3DS
. Why am I telling you that? Because I used the editor to create, so far, the following bunch of levels. You're more than encouraged to try out...
- Headache: first attempt at using the editor. It turned out to be way better than expected, mostly thanks to one hell of an user-friendly level editor, and called as such because I found out to be good at creating Nintendo Hard levels (on the average That One Level standards, between Breather Level and Platform Hell). Currently online and approved by the staff.
- Brothers: a linear level, slightly easier than Headache. As the title suggests, it's meant to "feel" like a linear Super Mario Bros. level. Currently online and approved by the staff.
- Kong: third level I designed. As with Brothers, the level accomplishes the same feat by using the original Donkey Kong game as a basis this time around, turning out to be a lot more Nintendo Hard than Brothers in the process. Requires either excellent timing or a fairly blatant amount of luck. Currently online and approved by the staff.
- ShyTower: fourth level. Originally supposed to be a totem made out of Shy Guys, the concept was ultimately scrapped when I found out Shy Guys can't stand on one another because if one falls on the other, the result is a Goomba Stomp between the two. So I scrapped the epic battle idea entirely and simply created a tower for the Mooks instead, with purple blocks being the only thing keeping them from harming the two Minis. The same purple blocks must be used to create a stairway to the top of the titular tower, without ever getting hit by the Shy Guys that get inevitably freed in the process. Requires even more timing than Kong but may turn out to be incredibly tedious once players get the hang of it... although actual fatigue resulting from boredom is also a key element. Currently online and approved by the staff.
- PipeTrap: fifth level and first key level, where a key-wielding Mini-Mario has to save the others, trapped in a prison surrounded by a pipe - hence the title. That One Level, just like the others. Currently online and approved by the staff.
- ShyGhoul: sixth level, with the level design based on the flying ghost Shy Guy enemies. While simpler than other levels, it requires the player to follow the Minimarios constantly. There's also one last Minimario next to the final door, but purposefully placed in the worst way possible. Currently online and approved by the staff; it's also the first level that has been rated, with a 4/5 rating as of early May 2012.
- BothWays: seventh level, based on the magnet levels, the exit can be reached either by going left or right, hence the level's name. Currently online and approved by the staff, with a 4/5 rating as of early May 2012.
- HardMaze: eighth level, with a lot of content crammed into the smallest a level can get in the game. It lacks any enemies, just eight Mini-Marios on red girders, with purple blocks that can be either removed or filled at will, and ladders. Don't let this fool you: given the time limit rule that forces Minimarios to get out of the level all in a row, this level easily becomes the most sadistically designed level of mine. Good luck if you find and download it. Currently online and approved by the staff, with a 4/5 rating as of early May 2012.
- KongRise: ninth level. A pretty basic one, as the Minimario at the bottom is only required to make it to the exit alongside the other two in the stage; however, it needs a lot of timing. Currently online and approved by the staff, with a 4/5 rating as of early May 2012.
- KongJail: tenth level, and the second with a key-wielding Minimario. While not as small as the aforementioned HardMaze, this one has a lot of risky elements, such a red Shy Ghoul, a Kong that can throw you on spikes, and the need of timing as required in a level with a locked door. Currently online and approved by the staff, but this time with a 5/5 rating as of early May 2012.
- DropDown: mostly made for the hell of it. As small as HardMaze, it's just an excuse for giving the newly-unlocked Mini-Peach and Mini-Toad a try. Basically, a Mario opens the yellow gate-thing the others are standing on, resulting in a very quick non-stop barrage of woo-hoos from the toys entering the door. Currently online, not yet approved.
- Anatomy: Exactly What It Says on the Tin, a level shaped like a human being seen frontally. The exit is accessed after a short free-fall, and is placed between the feet. Currently online, not yet approved.
- HardStep: while HardMaze was already sadistic, this Spiritual Successor is even worse in every aspect. Not yet uploaded.
- Rescuers: based on both the underground and castle levels of the first Super Mario Bros., this one is the Spiritual Successor to my previous level "Brothers". Here, Mario and Toad must rescue Peach. Not yet uploaded.
You can find me on various sites:
This Troper actually shows the following Tropes (among others):
- Adorkable and Lovable Nerd: subverted, in that such a trope never got me a girlfriend. Then Faith arrived...
- The Ace: my friend Lawrence may count, being somewhat of a Darker and Edgier counterpart of this very troper. The fact he actually cosplayed as Ace may count.
- Apologises a Lot: yep. Sorry.
- Apologetic Attacker: when I'm on the tatami - the rubber-carpet our Krav Maga group uses during lessons - I turn into this, especially when I train with Faith.
- Art Evolution: my drawings have become way better across the years.
- Audio Erotica: playing with small action figures, inside any Crack Fic my mind could have generated when I was a child playing with his toys, as time passes, made me somewhat of a Man of a Thousand Voices - one of which can get very, very deep sometimes.
- Author Appeal: several.
- Berserk Button: while usually Horoscopes are nothing but a load of bunk, sometimes they're right, such as the statement about Taurus being the most peaceful sign in the zodiac until you piss him. To actually piss me, you really need to put all of your effort - and even then, I can still be as calm as ever; however, there are things that make me angry. Examples:
- The No Export for You trope in general, and its tendency to hit Europe a bit more than other regions.
- The Jump Scare trope and its abundance in screamer pranks and shock sites. One of my fondest dreams is a world without such things.
- Getting interrupted while I'm doing anything, especially playing videogames.
- On that note, having to restart anything counts even more - and then again, especially about games, and even more when the having-to-restart thing is a direct consequence of being interrupted.
- Viral Marketing in general. Whenever I see a commercial that doesn't say the name of the product at all (since the explicit version always shows up about a week later), my reaction is usually the same.
- While usually more like an annoyance, as said in my intro, the number of avilable PSOne Classics in the European PlayStation Network is actually... pretty infuriating.
- Something else I'm not the only one to bitch about.
- I also have a Berserk Button about this very site, but it's a relatively minor one - that is, the various obnoxious changes made recently to TV Tropes. Most of them (read: the disabling of strikeouts and YMMV tropes getting their own
ghetto separate tab are the worst ones to me) are summed up in this page. Now, it's not like I "loathe" those changes, but I hope you may understand me if I don't quite rejoice for them.
- Bluenose Bowdleriser: averted. I do in fact censor swear words (most of the time anyway), but only mine.
- Bully Hunter: subverted. Yeah, the setup is there, but... revenge isn't exactly my thing, really.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: although more of a...
- ... Cloud Cuckoolander: holy wow. Sometimes my actual sanity is questioned - and for good reason.
- Crowning Moment Of Awesome: well, everyone gets his or her own, with Real Life being as long as it is, and I have had my share, too. There's one, in particular, that was also a Dethroning Moment Of Suck. To elaborate: does anybody (among the Italian tropers, that is) remember the Disney Club show? Okay. Does anybody remember the "let's-see-who-sent-us-some-e-mails" section? Good. Does anybody remember an episode in which an e-mail containing a drawing by a sixth-grader Alessandro Bozzi? Yep, that was me. Too bad nobody in my school watched the program on that fateful Saturday afternoon.
- A real one occurred in early February 2011: this article about the Dissidia: Final Fantasy sequel (prequel at that) alludes to "a fan question". Said question was asked on the European Playstation Blog by an user, "Alex PSN 89", that is, none other than me. Somehow, indirectly, I managed to get famous.
- Deadpan Snarker: sometimes. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work in real life, as often it falls into "Dude, Not Funny!" territory and I therefore happen to be chewed out on it.
- Department of Redundancy Department: annoying pretty much everyone, to everyone's annoyed annoyance.
- The Dog Bites Back: yep. ( Disclaimer: if you think the linked-to Take That is aimed towards Fighteer, well, sucks for you - it isn't! That's not the point, really. The Take That is below Fighty's quote.)
- Drives Like Crazy: this has been a problem for me. Just hope I'm not driving anywhere near you. Actually, I'm gradually getting better at driving, much to engineers' and coachbuilders' chagrin.
- Entry Pimp: more like Entry Pimp Disorder. I'm only human after all... note
- Extreme Doormat: sometimes I have opinions and even happen to defend them, but my personality is usually as close to this trope as it gets.
- Game Mod: currently looking for some.
- Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days: a hack that adds three questions in the Character Select Menu of the single-player Mission Mode, namely if the player wants CPU allies, how many, and which ones.
- Yoshis Island DS: "press X while not launching eggs to change baby", anyone?
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: aside from what I do with my own works, I also did this on TV Tropes itself. Saying what I did would result in that being undone, and that would kind of defeat the purpose. I can only say it's an Expospeak Gag.
- Give Geeks a Chance: once again, me and Faith. Bear in mind that it means the female gender first gave me a chance when I was almost nineteen and not only I was still a virgin, but also I still had to receive my first kiss. Go figure.
- Heel-Face Turn: as noted above, I'm nattering less and less as time goes by, mainly because of my suspension following excessive complaining about the site's policy. Finding out Naughty Tentacles joined the Permanent Red Link Club had me muttering, "there goes another one", until the article about The Second Google Incident convinced me that some changes actually are for the best. However, my inner, former natter-loving self sees this as a huge sellout.
- Heroic BSOD: when seeing "NOT ALLOWED TO NEXT CLASS" during 2007, my face was quite like this.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: as part of my Self-Deprecation, when a friend of mine posted as her personal message on MSN Messenger a quote by Sappho about love and the fact there's for everyone, I quite lost it. However, the next day, I met Faith for the second time, and, well...
- Insane Troll Logic: my mom is the all-time master of this.
- Last Name Basis: as a quick reminder to former schoolmates - my name is Alex. Capeesh?
- Man of a Thousand Voices: playing with action figures and doing your best to give a soul to the characters of your story shows, really.
- Mythology Gag: like Fairy Red always chooses the fire-element starters in her Pokémon games, my choice is always the water-element starter. However, starting with Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, all my water-type starters have been named "Number One" (and spelled exactly like that, without the quotation marks). There's a deeper reason behind that: my (initial) party in Ruby And Sapphire had all of its members named after the main cast of the Alan Ford comics; however, said Theme Naming was eventually dropped as soon as I caught more powerful pogeys, legendaries and whatnot, so in later games I only use "Number One" as a kind of Legacy Character and as the only nod to that theme naming, in that both the water starters and Numero Uno from the comics are both founding members.
- Fanon Discontinuity Nod: I don't quite acknowledge the Hoenn region as a legitimate part of the Pokémon world otherwise.
- Nerds Are Sexy: well, I'm more of an Otaku than an actual Nerd, but there you go - that, alongside my already mentioned
male-Yamato-Nadeshiko male-shrinking-violet (with a bit of The Woobie thrown in) status may or may not have been what made Faith fall in love with me.
- Not A Troll, Just Stupid: because of my admitted nostalgia for Tv Tropes as it was back in its Golden Age (read: when strikeouts were allowed, and Fetish Fuel and Troper Tales weren't loathed yet), some tropers see my behavior on the wiki as trolling. It isn't.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: sometimes.
- Proud to Be a Geek: YOU CAN BET YOUR BALLS.
- Reconstruction: the bottom of this very page is Thread Mode done right.
- Serial Tweaker: I just don't like to have to click on the "preview" button, and even then, I tend to notice mistakes later than I should anyway.
- Shout-Out: a trope I love to pull off in my drawn works. Here are some examples.
- my own Marvel Universe has characters with... interesting character designs. Namely:
- That last one got sidetracked as I started giving the same treatment to the DC Universe and the Amalgam Universe as well. Shout Outs (and I'm listing just a few of them) are present even there:
Yamato Nadeshiko Shrinking Violet: a male example! But I already said that in my introduction... sorry! <:|-}
- Strange Minds Think Alike: me and Faith. Then again, we both like anime, games and the like. And we first met at a comic-con.
- Surprisingly Good English: if there's one thing I may boast about, that's this. English itself was the only subject where my grades have rarely been below eight out of ten, at least. Then again, would any other troper ever have guessed I was Italian if I didn't say so?
- Take That: aside from my own snarking, there's a lot of other sources of snarks that I'm fond of. One of those is Cracked summing up my defense of Nintendo and games that rely more on overall quality than just graphics, as seen here. Suck it, grim 'n' gritty game industry.
- Tv Tropes Drinking Game: while I'm abstemious, there's one for you. Step 1: look for any article where I added an image. Step 2: see if my image was replaced. Step 3: drink. Here are some good starting points: Metroid, VideoGames, Alternate Universe Reed Richards Is Awesome, Dangerously Genre Savvy, Bambi Meets Godzilla, Brutal Bonus Level, Walking the Earth. Sorry, but my images get changed all the time, so I can't quite keep track of all of them.
- Tv Tropes Ruined My Life: well, more like "screwed up my sleep cycle" *yawn* than "ruined my life", but... still... *goes limp*
- Vitriolic Best Buds: aside from bullies who were more than willing to state that "me and Alex are pals, really!" in front of teachers or parents right after either arguing with me or outright beating me up, I also have actual friends behaving like that. Vittorio (Victor) is a good example of this, and some of you may even know him by his internet moniker, "Baboy" (especially when it comes to Track Mania).
- The Woobie: if you consider my past at school, sometimes you may want to hug me. Then, either if you're a dude or a chick, you'll ask yourself why you're hugging such a Gonk.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: a staple of everything I create, it may be a comic or another kind of story.
- You Are Grounded: deconstructed. Once, during the 2006-2007 school year, my grades were pretty low. So, despite I got grounded every now and then before, my mom came out with the ultimate punishment: forbidding me to access any consoles, regardless of my grades going up, until the end of that year, and threatening to sell them if I happened to be failed. Too bad this resulted only in further dismotivation and, when I - inevitably - had to repeat that school year, I Got Better thanks to my consoles not being actually sold and to not getting grounded again (the 2007-2008 year was just about as difficult as the previous one, the big difference was that I wasn't grounded). This was enough to make my mother realise (but not admit) she made a mistake, and as a result I never got grounded again. She was almost about to be at it again for the last year, so I got around the problem by stopping showing my parents any grades of mine and by choosing to carry the rest of that year on my own shoulders. If my diploma is anything to go by, it worked.
Welcome to Troper Talk! It's like a chalkboard where you can write - by editing - whatever the hell you want, and maybe I might even answer. note Give it a try!
...But hey, it's good to know that, years later, everything was compensated
- Alexlayer: Hi, Alex Sora. This is about your neglected edits in the Dissidia Articles later. I thought I'd try to talk with you about the reasons. You see, it's not that your oppinions aren't valid. In fact, I can perfectly see where most of your complains come from. Thing is, when you go and put them around the main article or the character page, well... you're just being too negative about it, mostly in ways people won't relate to, let alone agree. To put an example, when you mentioned Tifa being The Wesley, you made it sound like she could have been blamed if the game would have not been made. Not to mention, that which you pointed out may go with the "Author's favorite character" of The Wesley, but not with its other half, that is that fans usually hate this character, while Tifa isn't widely hated (I know some do, like with EVERYONE in the Final Fantasy series, but she's hardly a prominent example). See what I mean? It comes off like you just want to rant and complain, not actually contribute to the article.
- Alex Sora 89: no problem, bro. I'm more than open to being corrected whenever I do anything wrong. The only thing that kinda pisses me is that the "put YMMV tropes into separate pages" is actually pretty darn confusing, given the sheer number of subjective tropes (not that sheer, but still hard to remember). And since everything is relative, we could even argue whether a character is Lawful Good or whatever. The subtle trope differences are a bit too subtle at times, remembering them is even harder and tropes tend to overlap pretty much all the time. Do you think you can put up with my long learning times about this? I apologise in advance for everything... and until I get used to how tropes actually work, I'll be happy if you just undo my edits if they are wrong.
- Thing is, my advice is that anytime you think of adding a Trope that it's gonna come off as a rant, you should really take it to the YMMV page. If there's a reason for the trope, nobody will delete it. But even then, I think you should try to be more tactful. Think about it, okay?
- Mr Death: To add to this, I'd just say to think twice about edits you're about to make if you're putting in "adding a wallbangery detail" in the edit reasons or something similar. And if you're not sure, just check the page of the trope you're looking to add. If it's not allowed on a main page, it says so right on the top.
- Kerrah: Could you please stop editing main-and-character-namespace articles to "add Wall bangery details"? When you're using a YMMV trope to define what you want said, you can be pretty sure that your message is YMMV material.
- Alex Sora 89: not really. Don't get me wrong - I'm trying not to put subjective tropes in Main articles, but I can't really promise to do the same with Character pages, given that characters are not immune to YMMV tropes, which can also apply to them. Besides, there aren't any YMMV pages for Character articles yet, so as of now the situation isn't likely to change.
- Mr Death: Wall Bangers don't go on character or YMMV pages either. YMMV's for characters go on the work's YMMV page. By now you've gotta be seeing the pattern that nearly every time you "add a wall bangery detail" it has to be fixed by someone else. Rule of thumb, if you're posting mainly because you're pissed off about something, maybe you just shouldn't post.
- Belfagor: Hi, Alex. Finally another Italian troper who works on the English pages! I also liked the work you did with CarburantePerIncubi.
- Oh, un altro troper italiano! Non ci speravo piů nemmeno io, cosě tanto che sarei io a dover dire "finalmente"! Sai, scrivere tutta quella pagina č stata una faticaccia, ma ne č valsa la pena. note Uh, sorry for my gratuitous Italian. Anyway, I've been writing some stuff in Italian language in this wiki (including the aforementioned Italian page for Nightmare Fuel note ), but I've also done the same thing in reverse: I've written stuff about obscure things from Italy such as Gino The Chicken and, one evening when I was horribly bored, even about the infamous Batty And Gay porn comic book. If you know it, you can read the article and have a chuckle, provided you're not laughing already. Given the presence of articles about politicians (Barack Obama just to name one), I'm planning to write an article for Silvio Berlusconi but, given how controversial the figure is, it might actually be tricky to pull off. And ever since I discovered I'm good at writing haiku (something I could never have suspected myself to be capable of), Tv Tropes has become even more of a drug for me. I've gotta go to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!! Anyway, seriously, it's been nice seeing there are other actual Italian tropers around here, so... catch ya around!
- FairyRed: Hey there~ 8D Dropping a random hello on your page! You've done a lot of great work, haven't you?
- Alex Sora 89: Oh, hey! Sorry if I moved your quote from here to the quotes tab, but it started to take an awful lot of space here. Anyway, yeah. Just look at the Nightmare Fuel cleanup thread linked above and see for yourself. Anyway, I still have to give you my sincerest congratulation for your post on the forum when we were struggling to save the Stock Phrases: it takes balls to post a comment like that. Lately (early 2012, that is) I've started dealing with some of the site's most controversial changes like we tropers are supposed to, and I must say it isn't as bad as I'd have imagined it. I hope you feel more or less the same, because I do my best to be as nice as I can towards tropers and mods alike.
- BlakeDiamond: Heyoo! Thank you for "humbly bowing down" before my WMG for Black 2/White 2. That took me a while to put together, and I had to fight a couple people to keep it pure. It's unfortunate that it wont happen, but I appreciate the support ^_^
- Alex Sora 89: No need to thank me. I don't quite recall exactly which one it was, but if your theory was the one I'm thinking of, then duh, no wonder I bowed down to it. That theory is made of awesome.
- Blake Diamond: My WMG was the "Travel to all 5 regions and battle everyone" one. I forgot to mention that there would be an expanded Badge holder for the Trainer Card, and ribbons for beating each League, the Sevii Islands, and Mt. Silver. Would make it more interesting, showing who your team was in each League. But alas, all my effort is for naught. Oh well!!! ^_^
- Telcontar: Good morning/afternoon/evening/youshouldbeinbed! I noticed that in a recent IP thread, you described yourself as the "resident annoying troper". Jes' so's ye ken, you're not; you do a lot of good stuff on the wiki and it's fun to have you around in the forums. :D