Engaging Sarcasm Mode.
Tropers realize something the TVTropes staff does not, that robust 16-year-old websites, while seemingly healthy, are in actuality as fragile as two bricks tied together with tissue paper. One mistake, one bad mis-step will cause the entire thing to shatter and fall apart; and TV Tropes would be ruined forever. Much like this analogy.
Fortunately, there is hope. The Members of TV Tropes has resolved to remain ever vigilant against something that could Ruin TV Tropes Forever, and call out a warning if they see something that could potentially do so.
Some TV Tropes conservationists suggest a more extreme approach, that TV Tropes should abandon all attempts at re-invention and instead cater exclusively to the old-school Tropers. Though attractive, this approach may prove impractical as a long-term solution.
Ruined FOREVER remains a serious threat to TV Tropes now and in the foreseeable future, though it's possible a proposed initiative requiring all Tropers to purchase an annual bandwidth offset could ensure our fragile site's existence through the mid-21st century.
Things that have Ruined TV Tropes FOREVER in the past:
- Inspiration from other wikis
- The Manual of Style
- Adding Examples :: Cutting examples
- First-Person Writing :: Making This Troper a red link
- Not listing items in alphabetical order :: Listing items in alphabetical order
- Renaming Tropes :: Not renaming tropes.
- Locked Pages :: Unlocked Pages
- Wiki Cutlery Wars
- Anything British (e.g. Private Eye and Discworld)
- Non-TV examples :: Too many TV examples
- Anime :: Not enough Anime :: Way too much Anime
- Trope Repair Shop
- Ask the Tropers
- The Image Pickin' threads
- Darth Wiki
- Sugar Wiki
- Laconic Wiki
- Troper Tales :: Completely removing Troper Tales from the site
- Headscratchers :: Completely removing It Just Bugs Me from the site
- Just For Fun :: Removing subpages for Just For Fun pages
- Wild Mass Guessing
- Fetish Fuel :: Completely removing Fetish Fuel from the site
- Being nice
- Being too much like Wikipedia :: Being not enough like Wikipedia
- Articles that are too much like other articles :: Articles that are too different from the usual style
- Time Lords
- Troperiffic works
- Putting up Conversation in the Main Page :: Removing Conversation in the Main Page
- Mary Sue
- Changing the image on Percussive Maintenance from one of the most notable examples of the trope to some ugly-looking webcomic
- The Permanent Red Link Club
- Meddling with anything to do with YMMV.
- Flame Bait :: Flaming those baited to flame by Flame Bait.
- Forbidding any examples of Flame Bait.
- Nuking redirects :: Adding redirects.
- Strict moderators.
- Anything to do with the search bar.
- Examples Are Not Recent
- Anything to do with Sexual Content
- The Google Incident and its aftermath.
- Expanding into videos.
- Explaining the jokes.
- Removing Real Life Examples
- Removing entire pages of their examples.
- Removing subpages' icons and changing them with a drop-down menu.
- Improving the overall look of the forum.
- Memetic Sex God :: Completely removing Memetic Sex God from the site
- Letting So Bad, It's Horrible continue to exist
- Video Examples :: Letting all those Twisted: The Untold Story of a Royal Vizier and Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. video examples get posted
- Censoring coverage of the Neon Genesis Evangelion redub's controversy as being complaining
- Banning examples that don't have context
- In-Universe Examples Only
- The creation of this very page
In other words... pretty much everything.