Everything Sounds Sexier in French, even in the erotic entertainment industry.
Let's say Bertha is getting a job at a strip club as one of the performers. Bertha isn't a massively sexy-sounding name. Amber, on the other hand...
Another reason this trope may be played is that they don't want to be haunted by Bleached Underpants when they get out of the industry. The Internet usually finds a way to make this futile, however.
- In some hentai titles, the Seiyuu tend to use fake names, like for Urotsukidouji — the voice actors use punny names like Randy Woodcock, Rosy Palmer, and Rick Ballsey.
- Most male seiyuu averts this for their voicework in Boys' Love Genre Drama CD, most notably Hiroshi Kamiya and Daisuke Ono in their voice work for Kotonoha no Hana CDs. For some reason though, these very same seiyuu play it straight for erotic Otome CDs, however.
- Some mangakas also use different pen names for their porn works. For example, Mikiyo Tsuda used Zaou Taishi and Yana Toboso used Yanao Rock for Yaoi Genre works.
- Asami Matsumoto from Nana is a pornstar who goes by the name Yuri Kousaka while working, lampshading to her friends that even someone as shameless as her wouldn't use her legal name in pornographic work.
- Grant Morrison's The Filth features a gonzo film producer based on Max Hardcore named Tex Porneau, as well as a porn star named Anders Klimakks.
- In Reed Waller's furry animal comic, a young woman named Susan becomes a stripper. Since there are already several dancers named Susan/Sue/Suzie, she takes a map, closes her eyes, points with her finger at random ... and becomes Omaha the Cat Dancer.
- In the Star Trek: Voyager Parody Fic ''Hardcore Entertainment presents "Seven Does Voyager", the Suxfleet vessel USS Voyorgy is crewed by Captain Analway (Janeway), Commander Cumtoday (Chakotay), Sexy of Nine (Seven of Nine), Tom Penis (Tom Paris), Ballbuster Torres (B'Elanna Torres), Ensign Kum (Kim), Bootlix (Neelix) and the Dicktor (Doctor).
- In i'll take you somewhere even more brilliant, it's mentioned that Homura's name as an AV actress was the alias "Himura Keiko".
- Parodied in Austin Powers with names like "Alotta Fagina", "Felicity Shagwell" and "Ivana Humpalot".
- Uli Kunkel, one of the Nihilists from The Big Lebowski, went by the delightfully stupid moniker of Karl Hungus during his brief career as a pornstar.
- In Boogie Nights, protagonist Eddie Adams adopts the porn name Dirk Diggler.
- James Bond: Some Bond girls are among the most famous examples.
- Mandalay: Tanya is nicknamed "Spot White" at the brothel. She rises to be the new star and even the police know her by this alias.
- Apparently, in Orgazmo, all you need to be a porn actor is to be called Sancho. Which is kinda true...
- When Ricky Bobby is in a coma in Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, his childhood friend Cal Naughton Jr., reveals he once posed for Playgirl under the name "Mike Honcho".
- In We're the Millers, Rose notes that working in a strip club means that you should get a nickname to protect your identity. As it turns out, the girl she's talking to already has a nickname: Boner Garage.
- Inverted in Zack and Miri Make a Porno:
Zack: What's your name?
Lester: Lester... Lester the Molester Cockenschtuff.
Zack: Wow. That's a great porn name.
Lester: I get to pick a porn name?... Then I want to be called... Pete Jones.
- In The Dresden Files novel Blood Rites, Harry is hired as supernatural security for a porn studio. There are many examples mentioned, though the actors don't use them behind the scenes, except for entitled diva Trixie Vixen, born Tricia Scrump ("It's been legally changed!"). One of the new actors is trying to come up with a good porn name, but can't think of anything more original than "Rocko Stone", so a coworker suggests "Gowan Commando". The guy doesn't get the joke, but likes it.
- The book Strip Tease has the obvious fake name Urbana Sprawl, but also reveals at the end that Erin was the only one using her real name.
- Terry Pratchett parodied the hell out of this, of course, in Thud!, with one of the co-workers of Nobby's girlfriend Tawneee, who's called Brocolee. She started out calling herself Candee, but changed after learning that broccoli was better for you.
- Able Team. In "Army of Devils", Carl Lyons meets up with a Friend on the Force from his LAPD days. Able Team is posing as federal agents, so Lyons suggests they use his callsign "Hardman One". The cop laughs as it sounds like something from a porn movie. They decide to use his In-Series Nickname "Ironman" instead.
- Troy and Abed attempted to create these for themselves in The Tag of the Community episode "The Art of Discourse". However, their formula for creating them (the name of their grade school plus their favorite soft drink) leaves much to be desired.
Troy: "George Washington Lemon Fresca"? That's a horrible porn name.
Abed: I don't make the rules.
Troy: What's yours?
Abed: "Henry David Thoreau Diet Squirt".
Troy: Aw, that's good.
- In Inspector George Gently this is both used and subverted when Gently and Bacchus are investigating a a casino with "Fox Girls". The murder victim's real name was Audrey Chadwick. However, she was using the name "Blaise" for working purposes. Not Modesty Blaise, as "she doesn't have any modesty". However, Fawn Granger, her best friend was using her real name.
- In The Unit, when Tiffy does a bit of pole-dancing at a Bikini Bar during her separation from Mack, she is announced as "Monique".
- In Seinfeld, George says that his porn name would be "Buck Naked".
- How I Met Your Mother:
- Ted Mosby learns that somebody he saved from bullies once in elementary school is now a porn star using the stage name "Ted Mosby". Ted meets him and tells him that he's an architect now, and that for professional reasons, he doesn't like his name being misused in porn. In an attempt to stop the actor, he tells him that the guy who actually saved him from bullies was called "Lance Hardwood". Shortly thereafter, a new porn video comes out entitled "Lance Hardwood: Sex Architect, starring Ted Mosby".
- Another example: Barney drags the gang to a strip club, where Ted and a stripper start a conversation.
- Parodied in a Mad TV sketch, where men attempted to register to become pornstars, and were rejected because their names were already taken. Watch it here.
- Invoked in an early 80s Saturday Night Live sketch from an episode hosted by Bernadette Peters, in which Peters' Broadway vehicle of the time, 42nd Street, was re-envisioned set on the contemporary 42nd Street, in an adult theatre rather than a Broadway theatre. The stage manager dubs her character Lotta Hose, and her co-star (played by Eddie Murphy) goes by "Miles Long".
- In one episode of Night Court a pair of porn starlets named "Ginger Lee" and "Amber Waves" appeared in Harry's courtroom (obviously inspired by real-life starlets Ginger Lynn and Amber Lynn, right down to the rivalry between the two).
- During Letterman's more ribald years, he did a show in Vegas where he displayed artifacts from the Museum of Las Vegas. One was a Showgirl Name Decoder: put in your name, or the name of a showgirl, and you find out what your showgirl name will be (or what her real name is). Susan, for example, becomes Suzie.
- In Veronica Mars, an escort site had, among their employees, a lady named "Bambi Gasm".
Mac: (in posh accent) Of the Boston Gasms?
Cassidy: One would hope.
- In the Two and a Half Men episode "One Nut Johnson", Alan mentions that using the [Name of First Pet] [Name of Street you grew up] combination, his porn name would be Rusty Knob. Walden says his would be Snowball Honeysuckle.
- Parks and Recreation has Brandi Maxxx, who runs for city council and also stars in the porn parody of Leslie's bid for office.
- One episode of the first season of the US Queer as Folk has Michael and Ted meet porn star Zack O'Tool.
- In the second season, Emmett does internet porn under the name Fetch Dixon.
- In the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode featuring Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, the first name that shows up is "Wanda Cannon"
Crow: "Wanda Cannon"! Now that's a porno name if I ever heard one! Not that I've... heard one. I don't subscribe to... lots of publications or anything...
- In Jessica Jones, Trish suggests that Jessica uses "Jewel" as a superhero alias.
Jessica Jones: Jewel is a stripper's name. A really slutty stripper. And if I wear that thing you're going to have to call me Cameltoe.
- Played for laughs in QI, during the Season 7 episode "Gothic", when they talk about the painting "American Gothic" by Grant Wood. Sue Perkins said that the name Grant Wood sounded like a porn star.
Alan: I grant Wood! Whoa!
- In Broad City, Abbi finds out that her boss Trey used to make masturbation videos as Kirk Steele.
- Raising Hope: In one episode, Jimmy gets to see what his life would be like if he didn't father Hope. One change is that Sabrina has turned to prostitution to make extra money and goes by the name Sapphire.
- Star Trek: Voyager. In "Author, Author", the EMH writes a holo-novel about a holographic doctor on the starship Vortex, who battles against the anti-hologram prejudice of its crew. Tom Paris gets back at him by rewriting the Doctor as a sleaze giving a Creepy Physical on the Starship Voyeur.
- Borderlands has Mad Moxxi, the series' resident Ms. Fanservice and the planet bicycle. However, it seems that really is how her name is spelled. Subverted with General Knoxx, who is simply a general and presumably has the two X's due to Rule of Funny.
- Candy Suxxx from Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Complete with triple X.
- In Agents of Mayhem, Hollywood's alias back when he was a porn star was "Gregory Prickington". Ironically his real name Rod Stone sounds even more like a pornstar name.
- The Sims 3: The Generations pack includes "party dancers" who can attend bachelor and bachelorette parties. They are typically granted sensual Punny Names like Sugar Free, Jack Hammer, Lex Dance, and Candy Bar.
- Very common in Eroge, if it involves a well-known seiyuu. Most of the time they will use alternate name(s) for their voicing work (e.g Sakiware Spoon, Ichigo Miruku, Hiruma Kyou-no-suke, Anzu Mitsu, Elena Kaibara, etc.), possibly due to public image factor. Unlike most examples of this trope, the names are usually normal ones (sometimes punny, e.g Sorano Taiyou, Tom Kunoreezunote ). Much of the time, male seiyuu will have two or more alternate names, one for works aimed at men and one for works aimed at women. There are some who averts this trope, most notably Tamiyasu Tomoe who used her real name for any voicing work she had donenote . Interestingly, most of the time when an eroge gets a console port/all-ages release, seiyuus will be credited with their real names (a case in the  trilogy).
- Ménage à 3 and its Spin-Off Sticky Dilly Buns have Amber-Amber (now reverted to her birth name of Amber Larose, so it wasn't much of a disguise) and her friend, Chanelle Numberfine. This SDB strip mentions Maxx Deep and Humpy Nastee. ("They're really nice!")
- Alpha Bitch Hilary Locke from Sequential Art in her youth undressed for the cameras under the name Gabrielle Goodtime. She lost a prestigious job at Ann Winter lingerie, presumably because of "Gabrielle's" portfolio.
- Defied in this xkcd comic, where a parent uses the "[Name of First Pet] [Name of First Street you lived on]" formula to make their kid's hypothetical porn name be Mister Rogers, to discourage them going into porn.
- Used in Where the Bears Are. "Wood Burns" is a pseudonym. Wood is his real first name, short for Woodrow, but he adopted Burns for his porn persona.
- While Quagmire is staying with the Griffins on Family Guy, a phone call reveals that his porn name is Long Rod Von Hugendong. Originally, it was supposed to be "Long Rod Von Hungenschlong,", but the FOX censors thought that was too risque. Not the greatest of changes, but hey, pick your battles.
- While not an exact fit, this is used in The Boondocks for the prostitute "Cristal" (Like the Champagne), managed by a pimp named "A Pimp Named Slickback". Yes, you have to say the whole thing, like A Tribe Called Quest.
- Glamour model Katie Price used the name "Jordan" during her Page 3 days.
- Burlesque artist Dita Von Teese's real name is Heather Sweet.
- Thanks to Ginger Lynn, Amber Lynn and Porsche Lynn in the 1980s (and their dozens of imitators since), any woman's first name + "Lynn" = "porn starlet".
- Ginger Lynn's real name is Ginger Lynn Allen — and it was her feud with Amber Lynn for "stealing" her name which turned on the Streisand Effect and created the endless succession of Starlet Lynns.
- Shirley Dimples, so named for her curly red locks.
- The common joke is that your porn name is [Name of First Pet] [Name of First Street you lived on]. There are many variants, and be careful with those: theyre often used for security questions on various sites.
- Kristen Bell was once asked this question in a magazine interview. Her porn name would be Chelsey Huntington, which she admitted actually sounded pretty cool.
- Other real life examples:
- Retired porn star Long Dong Silver.note
- Peter North.
- Letha Weapons.
- There is/was a porn actress who went by the name Cindy Crawford. It happens to be her real name.
- In Superman XXX, the producers cast someone with obvious nerd cred for their Lois: Andy San Dimas.
- Another geeky porn star is April O'Neil, who, yes, was cast as the source of her name in a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles parody.
- A famous character-inspired: Kylee Reese. The Terminator jokes just write themselves ("Come on me if you want to live").
- British porn director Ben Dover.
- Most sex industry workers (strippers, porn stars, and escorts) take a sexy-sounding porn name both as a way of being easily-remembered and also as a way of deterring stalkers. This can sometimes lead to issues where a name that can be phonetically spelled multiple ways results in numerous very similar aliases. One of the best examples is Lanny Barbie, a French-Canadian star whose alternate spellings included Lanni Barbie, Lanny Barby, and Lanni Barby.
- A curious phenomenon relating to this is that the porn name is often trademarked by the studio to which the performer is contracted. This raises the possibly problematic spectre of what happens when a performer wants to leave their currently contracted studio and take their trademarked name with them - imagine an alternate reality where Paramount asserted that they owned the rights to the name "Michael Caine", for instance.
- "E. Norma Stitz", the woman with the largest natural breasts.
- Actress Nikki Cox was once asked by an interviewer what her porn name would be. She said it would probably be the same but that she'd probably add an extra x or two to her last name.
- This is in fact common in any sort of name that can be spelled with an X; most sex workers with such a name will often be known by the normal spelling and the "triple x" spelling.
- Humourously enough, real porn star Nikki Rhodes started off her career under the name Nikki Coxxx.