Step 1: Observe Oh, Crap! situation. Step 2: Emit Loud Gulp.
A Reaction Shot where a character emits a clearly audible *Gulp!* Sometimes accompanied by a visibly-bobbing Adam's apple. Usually happens in an Oh, Crap! situation.
Very popular in animated works, graphic novels, and Newspaper Comics.
Also see Spit Take and Saying Sound Effects Out Loud. Not to be confused with Gigantic Gulp. Contrast Ahem.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Full Metal Panic!, Sōsuke visibly gulping can only mean one thing: Kaname is PISSED.
- In Naruto, Sakura did a loud gulp when they enter a classroom full of thugs. All of which, stared at her team.
- The Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) episode "The Tale of Teacher" has Izumi do this when she finds out she must survive one month alone in the Briggs Mountains in order to earn an apprenticeship.
- In "Kizumonogatari II: Nekketsu", Araragi does this while preparing to fight Guillotinecutter and while talking to Hanekawa.
- Happens in episodes 1 and 2 of "Nekomonogatari", such as when Araragi approaches Heart-Under-Blade.
- In the first segment of M78 Love and Peace, right before the domino race starts as the camera pans across a quiet stadium filled with Ultras and kaiju, one of the kaiju, Gamekujira, can be heard gulping amidst the silence.
- A cheating student in Zits does this when her teacher suspects her of using a (fictional) cheating website, www.bootleg.com, in order to get better grades in school.
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- Attack of the Jack-O'-Lanterns: Lee lets one out when the "burglars" tell him that his parents aren't around at the party, however it is part of an act.
- The Headless Ghost:
- Stephanie makes one when she thinks she invaded a ghost's quarters.
- Duane himself lets out a big gulp while hearing Seth's tale about him sneaking around Hill House.
- More Tales to Give You Goosebumps: Jenny lets out one while Tyler is telling her about the spirit of the harvest moon.
- Go to Sleep (A Jeff the Killer Rewrite): Jeff gulps a huge lump that forms in his throat when a senior student compares Randy to a young Michael Myers to say how infamous he is. Although Jeff is skeptical of the rumors, he can't help being fearful of encountering Randy again.
- Warehouse 13:
- Claudia has an epic one when she offhandedly mentions a few major recent incidents at the Warehouse, and Mrs. Fredericks asks her to "debrief" her on them.
- Claudia also has an absolutely adorable Double Gulp at the end of "Age Before Beauty", when her crush Todd makes a surprise appearance at the episode's end.
- Done several times by Don Ramón in El Chavo del ocho, always while looking at the camera.
- iZombie: Liv does this after Ravi catches her eating brains and ramen.
- Several times throughout The Wonder Years, whenever Kevin had an Oh, Crap! moment, the narrator would simply say, "Gulp!"
- On Sesame Street, Kermit the Frog does this at the prospect of eating a fly.
- Sneaky version in Buffy the Vampire Slayer: While discussing the newly-found scythe in Season 7, they stumble upon an ancient name for it: "M question-mark." Giles points out that the "question mark" (ʔ) is actually a glottal stop in the International Phonetic Alphabet. What does "mʔ" sound like? The English word would be "gulp."
- Several times on ‘’Even Stevens’’; usually by Ren, like when she loses a princess in “The King Sloppy”
- Newton from LittleBigPlanet 3 has one of these when he gets scold by his dad.
- In Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity during the mission Urbosa, the Gerudo Chief, Master Kohga did it twice. The first was in the Battle Log and the other was during the cutscene Slippery as a Banana Peel! after defeated by Urbosa and the rest.
- Happens in Brain Dead 13 when Lance is fighting the ghosts.
- Quite a few in Tales of Monkey Island, actually:
- In Chapter 2, Guybrush does this when he tries showing Morgan the Pyrite Parrot, and she says that since the parrot is cute, she'll take it as a souvenir after she kills Guybrush.
- In Chapter 4, when Stan asks, "No hard feelings over all those various civil and criminal charges?" Guybrush replies, "Water under the bridge!" before raising his hook and continuing, "A bridge with a fast-talking shyster-slash-salesman dangling from it," causing Stan to gulp in fear.
- Zero in Mega Man Zero emits one when he's riding Omega's missile and realizing he's about to get hit by an ICBM.
- In the Subspace Emissary campaign of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the Ice Climbers do this just as Meta Knight prepares to battle Lucario in a cutscene.
- Happened in Sly 2: Band of Thieves when Bentley had to drive the Cooper Van which had a stick shift.
- Done a number of times on Homestar Runner:
- Fightgar of the Cheat Commandos does this in the short "Shopping For Danger" when Gunhaver orders him to go undercover.
- In the intro movie for stage 5 of Stinkoman 20X6, 1-Up does this when Stinkoman refuses to help and tells him he's on his own looking for Pan Pan.
- In "Date Nite", Homestar makes this remark when he learns Marzipan is going out with The Cheat.
So what are you saying? That you... gulp
... want his bod
- Homestar gulps nervously in "A Death-Defying Decemberween" when Bubs gives him a new sled that doubles as a tombstone if he doesn't survive his trip down the Steep Deep.
- Gunhaver, Silent Rip and Crackotage all gulp collectively when they meet with the Topplegangers in Part 2 of "2 Part Episode".
- The 2019 Halloween Episode "The Homestar Runner Enters the Spooky Woods" makes a Running Gag out of The Homestar Runner loudly gulping in fear.
- Tamagotchi: Kuchipatchi's father makes one in a Sorette, Kuchipatchi. short where he's scared to try Kuchipatchi's disgusting-looking food.
- The Amazing World of Gumball: Gumball does this in "The Curse".
- Disney has two stock sound effects of this that often appear in either the Classic Disney Shorts, or their classic animated films up to at least the late 1970s. In fact, this is Donald Duck's standard Oh, Crap! Reaction Shot. Goofy does it fairly often too.
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983): In "Diamond Ray of Disappearance", Teela is confronted by the villain and does a very deep gulp.
- Looney Tunes gives us "Hopalong Casualty." When the coyote reads the fine print on the Earthquake Pills label ("Caution: not effective on road runners"), this is his reaction.
- Happens in every episode of Moral Orel, just before Orel's father beats him as punishment for whatever he did wrong that day. Character Development ensues when he stops reacting with this trope and starts to respond with a deadpan response.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- Early, extreme example in the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoon The Fowl Ball (1930). As nervous Oswald loudly gulps, his Adam's apple bobs in his throat—and it's shaped like a real apple, complete with stem.
- The Powerpuff Girls (1998)
- All three Girls do this in "Reeking Havoc" when the Professor suggests they try eating his chili.
- Buttercup in "The Boys Are Back In Town".
- Bubbles (whilst disguised as Boomer) in "Bubble Boy" after being dared to eat a roach by Brick.
- Sabrina does this in Sabrina: The Animated Series in "Fish Schtick" where she has to jump off the high board to prove that she's the most talented.
- Shaggy and Scooby do this in Scooby-Doo! WrestleMania Mystery when they see that their opponent is Kane.
- Bart gets this in The Simpsons episode "Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk" when Marge orders him to get Homer from Moe's right after he plays one of his prank phone calls on Moe.
- He also does it in "Principal Charming" when Skinner screams his name over the intercom for writing his name on the playground with sodium tetrasulfide.
- She also does it twice in "Witchitis" where she's afraid to get a shot.
- Happens very frequently in Tom and Jerry cartoons, with either Tom or Jerry in an Oh, Crap! situation.
- Total Drama:
- Tyler does one in "Dodgebrawl" after Duncan threatens to kill the entire team if they wake him.
- The contestants are sent out to go camping in "The Sucky Outdoors" and Izzy is inspired to give a detailed account of a bear encounter she once had. Once she's done, she encourages the Screaming Gophers onwards. Lindsay, who is taken aback by Izzy's story, gulps.
- Cameron does one after being told he has to steal the go-karts from Chef in "Grand Chef Auto".
- Work It Out Wombats!: Zeke gulps loudly when Malik tries to take him zip lining in "Brother Day."
- X-Men: Evolution this was Evan Daniels' reaction to being caught by the police in his school after Quicksilver vandalizes the school.