Real Account is split into 2 parts. Part 1 is serialized in Bessatsu Shonen Magazine, focusing on Ataru. While Part 2 is serialized in Weekly Shonen Magazine, focusing on Yuuma. The characters tend to be a combination of introverts or extroverts mixed with an unhealthy dose of sadist, masochist or a combination of the two, with a few expections and a few seemingly Split Personalities.
Beware of ummarked spoilers!
Ataru KashiwagiThe character one first follow. He's idealistic.
- Adorkable: Clumsy, awkward socially, doing his best but failing often.
- Anti-Villain: The woobie.
- Backup Twin: What he felt like he was. He really wasn't, as Yuri cared about him for being himself.
- Blood-Splattered Innocents: In the first chapter.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Yuuma (actually Ataru)'s Cain
- Crush Blush: comes forth when Ruriri smiles to him.
- Decoy Protagonist: Is the protagonist of the 10 first chapters when it was a monthly manga. When The Bus Came Back, he came out an Hero Antagonist, probably.
- Expy: of Yukiteru, even the hair is similar!
- Hikikomori: He was this for a while.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Koyori is 2 heads shorter than him in certain drawings.
- Idiot Hair: interestingly did he not always have this.
- Kill the Ones You Love: He claims he killed his own twin brother, when in reality his brother saved him from a truck. But that doesn't change that he claimed to be Ataru before and after Ataru's apparent death.
- Middle Child Syndrome: His siblings were the only ones to really notice him, and then only mostly the Yuuma.
- Nose Bleed: does this when a woman strips for retweets.
- The Promise: With Kanda, after he willingly had to kill her, by promising that he will kill people who had the same syndrome with her. For example, Yuuma
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The sensitive guy to the real Ataru's manly man.
- Stepford Smiler: Of the depressed variety.
- Tears of Remorse: Ataru cries a lot, justified considering the circumstances.
- The Bus Came Back: Ataru comes back in Part 2 to greet Yuuma when he revisit their old house and then he tries to kill Yuuma.
- The Unfavorite: His family always favoured the real Ataru over him, and when "Yuuma's" funeral was held, nobody cried. Even though this Yuri cries when he's taken to the world of Real Account, crushing him even further but not even mentioning "losing Yuuma" (mostly because that's spoilers). This is because she knows that he is the real Yuuma, and she didn't cry at the funeral to be strong for his sake.
- Used to Be More Social: He used to be very popular. Actually, the popular one was the real Ataru while this one, the real Yuuma was really shy. But the real Yuuma was seemingly really introverted wanted to be popular and wanted to be loved more by his family but didn't know how to.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Though isn't above making sacrifices.
A young girl Ataru meets and they start hanging out.
- Alliterative Name
- Amateur Photographer: Loves taking pictures of cats.
- Character Tic: She quickly starts writing stuff in a notebook to remember them for later.
- The Cutie
- Dark Secret: she has none, she just enjoys taking pictures of cats she sees.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: In certain drawings can be 2 heads shorter than Ataru.
- Identical Stranger: looks just like Yuri, whose hair is only a bit longer and a bit taller.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: It doesn't last.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Only Child Syndrome: Is an only child and is very shy, and because of that has almost no friends.
- Tender Tears
- Tights Under Shorts
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Sometime during the first game, she suddenly became nasty, where Ataru's group at first still tolerated. However, it is actually a frightening personality shift that causes her to willingly murder countless people to the point where Ataru is forced to murder her.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?
- Your Size May Vary: is sometimes about 5cm shorter than Yuri, other times 2 heads shorter than Ataru...
Ruriri IchijouA popular web idol.
- Christmas Cake: Her profile stated she was 21, but is actually 28
- Hollywood Homely: Treated as ugly in-universe after her real self was really shown, but isn't that bad.
- Impossible Hourglass Figure
- Ms. Fanservice: the retouched pictures of her makes her seem to be that.
- When She Smiles: Has a beautiful smile.
- Youthful Freckles: Probably to show how young she feels.
Aiji HoshinaAn adorable young boy about Koyori's age.
- Badass Adorable: Regardless if one like it or not, one does have to admit he becomes badass in whatever he does and looks pretty cute.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Why did he chose that the judges to think of him as ugly? To test if asking them to say it would count as them lying and get them killed.
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Cheerful Child: When in a good mood that is...
- Combat Sadomasochist: A really creepy one at that.
- Creepy Child
- Cute and Psycho: and how!
- Expy: of Nagito Komaeda.
- Manipulative Bastard: Convinces a kid to kill his own mother, and because of that also himself...
- Nightmare Fetishist: Is despairsexual.
- Not So Different: By Ataru's admission.
- Perverted Drooling
- Shrinking Violet: Thinks he's ugly and is very shy. That was just a lie though.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: Gives one to Koyori.
- Tender Tears: While telling the judges that he feels ugly, it's an another lie though, he uses it to manipulate people.
- Token Evil Teammate: For Ataru's group sometime later in the first Real Account game. And even so as another girl (the idol) in the group admits, he still have tendencies to screw over everyone for his pleasure
- Walking Spoiler: Yup.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Subverted. Misunderstanding the rules of the "Dark Past Trial", he exposes the posts about his shoplifting instead of his peers trying to find them. To stop him from reaching 0 followers, Ataru shows a post of when he saved an abandoned kitten to show he's also a decent person. Double-Subverted. It was no misunderstanding. He wanted the rush of potentially dying.
Yuuma MukaiAtaru's twin brother. Yuuma serves as the protagonist of Part 2. He looks identical to Ataru, save for a nasty scar on his forehead.
- All-Loving Hero: he wishes to save everyone, even if that means he can't sleep. Subverted, it turns out to be an act. He still cares about his companions, though.
- Amnesiac Hero
- Big Man on Campus: Yuuma s really popular on school both when he was a kid and as a high schooler. But he's not really enjoying it. He actually would much rather be alone with his girlfriend.
- Broken Pedestal: When it is revealed that his previous hero-doing is an act.
- Bully Hunter: Takes on himself being this.
- Cain and Abel: the Cain to Ataru(actually Yuuma)'s Abel
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Dark and Troubled Past: He lost his memories as a child, abandoned at an orphanage. He finds others to be "boring", cannot consider them as true friends, so later on he puts on a facade of being an All-Loving Hero.
- Empty Shell: Kurishima sees him as this, and because of that sets it as his goal in life to make him despair.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Or in this case, Jerk. Even he is squicked out by Ayame's perverted older brother.
- Expy: seemingly of Makoto Naegi. But actually more like of Nagito Komaeda or even Enoshiima or Yukiteru when he snapped...
- Faking the Dead: When he went back to school to see his classmates and his classmates want to kill Yuuma to earn money, Yuuma pretends that he reverts back to his nicer self and then he scans his own hand with his cellphone. Yuuma then shows up later in the back of his classmate with his gas mask on. Yuuma then reveals that the mark he scanned isn't real.
- Friend to All Living Things
- Every Scar Has a Story: As a child, Yuuma received a nasty-looking scar from a car accident, which also cause him to be amnesic.
- Heartwarming Orphan: Which cause him to do his best to save the people around him.
- Hero Protagonist: The real hero! Except, he's more of a Villain Protagonist. Or Anti-Villain Protagonist, type noble.
- Hope Bringer
- Messianic Archetype: gives the others hope and guides them against Marble.
- Mook Horror Show: Exemplifies in the "Tag" Game.
- Nice Guy: Yuuma acts nice and friendly to most people. Until Mizuki reveals his secret in the Mobile Phone exchange game.
- The Paragon: he helps others as much as he can.
- Team Mom: For Kurashina, unwillingly.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: After Mizuki reveals his secret, Yuuma becomes notably meaner and less friendly. He does care for his friends, however.
- Quest for Identity: sets out on this after his true colors/Split Personality awakens.
- The Social Expert: helps others and easily figures how to help different kinds of people out.
- Stepford Smiler: The hiding crazy/madness.
- Stock Shōnen Hero: deconstructed.
- Walking Spoiler: As he nearly never talks about himself.
Ayame KamijouAyame is a young girl who was very dependent on her friends and her "loving" big brother. But one day her friends betrayed her. Because of this she became a very aggressive tsundere in hope of keeping people away to never need to be hurt again. She and Yuuma become important to each other after they quickly follows each other after her big brother and his girlfriend unfollows them and they need each other to survive.
- Attention Whore: Ayame was this at school as a part of her I Just Want to Have Friends personality. Even though that did, she got tired from hanging out with the other girls so much. So one day she read a message they sent, but fell asleep when replying, and forgot it. The next morning had the girls placed funeral flowers at her desk and mocked her saying 'you didn't reply so we thought you were dead', this breaks her and she locks herself inside her room.
- Big Brother Worship: She's way too trusting of her brother, who manipulates her and abuses her for his own gain.
- Break the Cutie: Her life as a teenager hasn't been easy. At all.
- Closet Key: Seemingly this for Chiho.
- Disposable Woman: How her big brother sees her as this.
- Hikikomori: was this after the bullying started.
- The Medic: helps the injured.
- Morality Chain: She eventually becomes this for Yuuma as she's one of the reasons he stays alive.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Stockholm Syndrome: towards her own brother. He was "nice" to her when she was a hikikomori. To the point that she even trusts him after he's making her strip while he's trying to kill her for some easy cash.
Mizuki KurashinaA scary guy who thinks Yuuma seems empty so he follows him around in hope of breaking him.
- Break the Cutie: What he wants to do to Yuuma.
- Break Them by Talking: Mizuki loves doing this, and then taking pictures of their despaired faces.
- Camera Fiend: Takes pictures of people's despaired faces.
- Combat Sadomasochist: He's a powerful fighter, loves other's despair, and loves being treated like dirt by Yuuma
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas
- Character Development: Hanging out with Yuuma's group makes him open up to them and becomes an actual member of the group
- Cry Cute: In Chapter 30
- Depraved Bisexual: Possibly as he enjoys just as much taking pictures of despaired women as of men.
- Does Not Like Shoes: He has no problem going barefoot, even when he goes back to the Real World.
- Establishing Character Moment: First time he appears, he is calmly stabbing someone in front of live audience.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Is despairsexual.
- Oedipus Complex: Such a weird one even Freud would get confused. So he falls for Yuuma after he scolds him, so Yuuma became his maternal figure of sorts.
- Perverted Drooling
- Prefers Raw Meat: He carves on raw meat.
- Psychopathic Manchild: His way of breaking people aren't really different from girl bullies do it, by taking their phones and showing their secrets without remorse.
- Sadist: and how!
- Spear Counterpart: Not too different from a certain other hope crusher.
- Start of Darkness: he was a timid kid who loved his mangaka mother a lot. One day he finds her after she hung herself. He wants to join her but finds a book she drew where she tells that god doesn't want him to, so he keeps on living, somehow, looking at pictures of despaired people.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Grows to be really fond of Yuuma after he Mind Rapes and beats him up, to the point he follows him everywhere, licks photos of him, and is all around very creepy.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Raw meat.
- Villainous Breakdown: Briefly, after Yuuma reveals the true meaning of his mother's novel and deleted all his despair photos.
- Yandere: Becomes this for Yuuma, but is more submissive yet still somehow grosser than Yuno, because she didn't drool over photos of Yukiteru when other people or he was nearby. And she wanted to protect "her" Yukki rather than Mizuki here who wants to break Yuuma.
A woman who was forced to take nudes of herself.
- All Women Are Lustful
- Ambiguously Bi
- Combat Sadomasochist: Does know to fight somehow, and loves embarrassing herself just as much as she loves embarrassing others.
- Covert Pervert: A weird case, she shifts between wanting to be seen naked to finding it very shameful. But she loves teasing Ayame. A. Lot.
- Ethical Slut: She sent many of the pictures herself of free will, apparently. As after Yuuma saved her, she wanted to show him that the pictures was not retouched.
- Good Bad Girl
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Mostly. All the other times a Shameless Fanservice Girl.
- Mrs. Robinson
- Perverted Drooling
- Pervy Patdown: Is fond of doing this.
- Put On The Bus: Didn't participate in the second Real Account game.
- Shrinking Violet
- Split Personality: Strongly implied. One is a very caring and sweet Cool Big Sis who is also a Shrinking Violet, the other is a Ambiguously Bi Shameless Fanservice Girl sadomasochist who loves being humiliated and is more than willing to bring others down to her level, enjoying every second of their humiliation to the point of drooling. The sadistic sides seems to like women while the masochistic side seems to like men, note that this is the same personality, maybe, if she doesn't have 3.
- Too Kinky to Torture
Another web idol who tries to act as moe as possible.
- Ambiguous Gender Identity: Has put on a moe act for so long they isn't sure anymore.
- Apathetic Teacher: Subverted, is willing to get in harms way to protect their students.
- Attention Whore: Moreso than Ayame.
- Butt-Monkey: But seemingly enjoys some of it too.
- Cool Teacher: They actually are.
- Fired Teacher: Heavily implied.
- G.I.R.L.: Maybe.
- Happily Married: To their Yankee girlfriend.
- Non-Giving-Up School Guy: Willing to die protecting one of their students in hope of getting her to attend class again.
- Sensei-chan: Rare Male Example played straight, maybe.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Married one of their students.
- Too Kinky to Torture
YuriAtaru's little sister.
- Cool Big Sis: Becomes this quickly to Koyori with only a phone call.
- Sailor Fuku: The school uniform at her school aparently.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: Knew that Ataru was Yuuma all along.
Their parents:A pair of scientists who died in a lab accident. Their kids since then have done their best to survive on their own.
The mascot of Real Account.