open/close all folders
"The world is far more complicated than you obviously realize, and there is no black or white, only shades of grey."A bounty hunter that prefers to be a lone wolf, and doesn't like how people keep wanting to follow him. Both of his arms are mechanical prosthetics that give him an edge on the battlefield, especially if an Elemental Core is contained within them. His weapon of choice are guns and, in some cases, swords.
— Zelos' vision of life, blurted out to Adelle in a What the Hell, Hero? moment to her
- Anti-Hero: Considering his view towards life, this is almost an understatement.
- Artificial Limbs: Both of his arms are mechanical.
- Artificial Human: Has it worse than Aria and Duja, as he's not even a True Human Genome. He's Prototype ZERO, clone of an unnamed Alien Soul and Dena, a Human Genome.
- Assassin Outclassin': It's said that many people have sought his artificial arms. None have survived to tell about such attempts.
- BFG: His primary weapon is a revolver that is about as large as his arms.
- Blood Knight: Zelos will NOT run away from a challenge. He also has a real soft spot for other Blood Knights, especially Lydia.
- Bounty Hunter: He does this for a living. And got quite the profile from doing it.
- Bring It: His common behavior toward anything he's pointing his gun at.
- Brutal Honesty: Zelos has nothing to hide on his view of life and people. Many a time this works as a huge Berserk Button for Adelle.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Zelos killed so many people on his contracts that he didn't even realize he killed Adelle's parents and lampshades it when she finally plays her true cards.Zelos: I've killed so many people that not one person stands out.
- Cold Sniper: Zelos normally is contracted to kill anything that breathes with absurd efficency and zero considerations for whatever life he's ending. He killed Adelle's parents that way in an open marketplace.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: His color scheme changes with the various Elemental Cores equipped.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Zelos tends to hand these to people on a daily basis. When Adelle finally comes for his head, Zelos gives the exact number of zero fucks and lets her slash all she wants with no ill effects on him.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His last caretaker wasn't exactly a stable person and humiliated Zelos on many levels. It came to a point where Zelos ended up turning against him and starting his "trust no living being" attitude.
- Easily Forgiven: After spanking Adelle around on her revenge attempt and letting Lydia win against him when the latter came to defend Adelle, Zelos apologizes for having killed Adelle's parents, an incredibly rare case coming from him. Adelle mellows out a bit to him after that.
- Easy Amnesia: According to his profile, he's missing quite a bit of his memory. He doesn't care. Until near the end of the game, when he actually manages to find out where he came from and he decidedly doesn't like it.
- Elemental Powers: Zelos' skills and abilities depend on which Elemental Core he has on his arms. And there's one for each element in the game, to a total of eight:
- Everyone Has Standards: Zelos may be amoral, but he has his limits. He only kills those he was contracted to kill. He'll kill bandits on the spot. He won't take well for people who kill just for the hell of it, like Thaddeus. He decides to help Nguyen kill Brumeia for no reward after seeing the both the latter's father and confidant die. And he REALLY didn't know the couple he killed for a contract in one occasion were parents to a little girl, who would become the furious Adelle and join him in order to exact her revenge.
- Gun Fu: Whatever you saw in Cross Edge, it started here in Blazing Souls.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Nguyen works his way from the start into being this with him. Also crossing onto Vitriolic Best Buds.
- Ignore the Fanservice: Zelos pulls this on Fairuza.
- I Let You Win: He pulls one on Lydia, when he feels guilty after curb-stomping Adelle. Lydia realizes this right off the bat.
- I Shall Taunt You: He'll push Sexton's Berserk Button just for the hell of it.
- Jerk Ass: His profile states it best, the man is totally amoral and will do anything for money.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: According to the other characters. Lydia proves them right.
- Jerkass Has a Point: In one occasion, Adelle forces Zelos to let a thief go after dealing with him, and he calls her out on letting a criminal live. Some time later, the same thief scams Adelle into an ambush and Zelos has to save her ass. He kills the guy on the spot this time and Adelle is horrified at finally seeing how he really works.
- Lack of Empathy: His standard emotion. Better demonstrated during Noel's Heroic B.S.O.D..Zelos: Yeah, they're dead. Get over it! It's not the end of the world! As you are now, you're less than useless to us! If this is how you're going to react to something like this, just get the hell away from me now!!
- The Leader: Zelos is thrown into this role against his will, but develops into actually working as such.
- No-Sell: You want to see how immortal this guy is? He stabs himself through the chest with Adelle's BFS to prove her how powerful he is when she fails at killing him to avenge her parents. He doesn't even feel it.
- No Sympathy: The quote above says it all about Zelos' reaction to a teammate losing his family to the Genomes.
- Not So Different: Snow has that opinion of him in comparison to Jadore.
- One-Man Army: If he's not a Person of Mass Destruction.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Happens to him when equipping the Helios or Vesper Core.
- The Power of Apathy: Zelos considers his apathy a form of art, and his interactions with everyone shows. His abilities to overcome whatever gets thrown his way do show it as well.
- Professional Killer: Most of his bounty-hunting involves ending someone's life. He took this into some kind of art along with his apathy.
- Punch-Clock Hero: The only reasons he ever has for doing good is that it was a job, or he was taunted into it. Sometimes both.
- Red Is Violent: If the tropes listed on his fame as a killer aren't a signal.
- The Sociopath / Sociopathic Hero: He has no conscience and feels no guilt when killing people. This bites him back in the ass when Adelle reveals that he killed her parents and she joined him so she could kill him.
- Super Mode: On Infini Core, we have his Overdrive Original Skill. It overclocks Zelos' Elemental Core, giving him an absurd increase in damage and defense for three turns.
- Then you combine it with his Unleash Hell Potential, use a Bloody Pearl, a fully upgraded Revolver Cannon, and Zelos basically becomes a near-unstoppable killing machine.
- Sword and Gun: Without equipping any Elemental Core, the sword sees little use however, primarily being used to break things when exploring.
- The Gunslinger: He loves waving his massive hand cannon around.
- The Rival: Has a fierce one on the Genome Sexton when it comes to his bounty-hunting ways. Gains a true one in Jadore.
- Toxic Friend Influence: Manages to be one to Hermes as she starts mimicking his mannerisms.
- Tron Lines: Get Zelos equipped with the Infini Core, and he'll have this all over his body.
- True Neutral: His profile states that he has elevated apathy to a form of art. Zelos doesn't give a fuck to what's going on around him, unless it's happening to him.
- Tsundere: Gives the impression of being one at times, due to his excessive reactions to minor prodding to help others.
- The Unapologetic: Again, Zelos is completely apathetic to everything around him and feels no remorse for his actions. However, he concedes one apology after dealing with Adelle and Lydia on the former's attempt of revenge on him. He really didn't know those two had a child when he was contracted to kill them.
- Weirdness Magnet: Everyone, absolutely everyone, seems attracted to Zelos in some way or another. From other bounty hunters who may or may not agree with him, to adventurous kids, to people from another world with absurd powers, angels, demons, and Artificial Humans who are trying to replace mankind.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gives a heavy one to Adelle when she forces him to let a criminal go after they tried to "force a toll" on them. His words to her are almost prophetic, given what happens later:Zelos: Someday, this is going to come back and bite you in the ass.
- Worthy Opponent: Zelos sees one in Jadore.
A blonde adventurer that was assigned by the guild to work with Zelos on a hard mission. Like the other two given this task, Nguyen decided to stay with Zelos after the mission was over. His dream is to rescue a cute Distressed Damsel and get into a relationship. His weapon of choice is the knife.
- Back Stab: His Ambush Original Skill tricks the enemies into turning their backs on him, which he follows up with a flying jump dagger first into their backs.
- Bare Your Midriff: Male case, if you pay attention. Then again, he's a Casanova Wannabe.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Nguyen is heavily cheerful and jolly, but make no mistake, this guy can and will go for your head if you decide to bring him misery. Brumeia fucked up his life on massive levels while taking Vergis Kingdom over, and made a lifetime enemy out of the man. Got killed by him and Zelos for her efforts.
- Casanova Wannabe: Even his dream is to Rescue a cute Distressed Damsel. Yes, he never succceed in having a girlfriend.
- Dishing Out Dirt: His main elemental slot and the schtick to his Quake Strike.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Manages to work himself into being one with Zelos. Crosses also into Vitriolic Best Buds.
- King Incognito: His actual name is Heidelberg. He's the heir to Vergis Kingdom, on the run from one of the Genomes when she manipulated his father into killing his entire family. He has to see both his father and confidant die to decide to put an end to the Genomes' charade and start to reclaim his place.
- Knife Nut: Coupled with attack types enabling him for combos.
- The Lancer: His general attitude in Zelos' team, even frequently asking permission for Zelos to go out of his way. He also fills the smart role.
- Loveable Rogue: Nyugen Le is cheerful, ever optimistic, and exceptionally good at stealing.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: On the exterior, Nguyen looks like a jolly rogue with a womanizing habit. On the interior, he actually gathers the intelligence he says he's gathering, and he is no slouch in regards of knowing what's happening with his kingdom.
- The Pollyanna: Nguyen's behavior is highly optimistic, when he's not dealing with his kingdom.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: He's keeping his King Incognito attitude to hide from Brumeia after having his kingdom taken over by her, and he's just waiting the right opportunity to smash every one of her plans. Zelos initially was in it only because Nguyen was going to pay him, but after seeing how much of a bitch Brumeia is, he volunteers to help Nguyen end her life. And they succeed.
- Shock and Awe
- You Killed My Father: It happens midgame, and after that Nguyen is fully gung-ho on killing Brumeia.
Full first name Adellade, she's a purple-haired mercenary that was assigned to help Zelos rescue Aria, and decided not to part ways afterwards. She has a complete opposition to Zelos, explained late in the game by her being in a quest for revenge against him. Her weapon of choice are BFS'es.
- An Ice Person: Both her initial element, and her exterior personality shell.
- Berserk Button: For most of the game, Zelos is a walking Berserk Button for her. Then again, he's the one who killed her parents.
Zelos: Don't just stand there, or do you want to die?!Zelos: Yeah, they're dead. Get over it! It's not the end of the world! As you are now, you're less than useless to us! If this is how you're going to react to something like this, just get the hell away from me now!! *Points his gun at Noel, who gasps*Adelle: That's enough! It's not his fault that you're an insensitive ass who can't possibly understand what it's like to lose people close to you!Zelos: Yeah, that's right! Anyway, I already said this once. If you're going to get in my way, don't bother sticking around! Nobody asked him to come with us in the first place! And if you have a problem with that, you can leave, too! If you need a shoulder to cry on, it sure as hell won't be mine!Adelle, as Zelos leaves: ...Do you even listen to yourself when you talk? Idiot.
- One particular event is during Noel's Heroic B.S.O.D.. Zelos outright calls him useles and tells him to get outta his face, and Adelle snaps from hearing that. Zelos, of course, doesn't give a damn.
- BFS: Her flavor of weapon.
- Broken Ace: She's become top notch in the Varanoir academy, but her distance from most people is actually a signal that she never actually got over her parents' death. This is confirmed when she goes to exact her revenge on Zelos.
- The Chick: She's this to Zelos' team. It's however subverted as Aria is the true heart of the team and Adelle's only in it for Zelos' head.
- Childhood Friends: With Lydia.
- Child Prodigy: Her dedication in preparing to kill Zelos has led her to become Valedictorian of her class in Varanoir.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: She shows traits of this on the first half of the game, always offering help for whoever's in trouble. Zelos, however, doesn't buy that. Turns out he's half right about this, as she's in his team for his head.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: She gets on the receiving side of this when she finally attempts to kill Zelos. Worse than that, Zelos at the end goes on to prove that she never actually stood any chance of killing him, because not even him knows how to do so: he stabs himself with her BFS just to show her how IMMORTAL he is.
- The Farmer and the Viper: Adelle forces Zelos to spare a thug who had just tried to brute-force them into submission and was about to be killed by the bounty hunter. Then he scams Adelle into an ambush and Zelos has to save her ass. Not only Zelos kills the guy this time, she doesn't appreciate it even a bit, breaks down crying and refuses to admit that he was right when he said her attitude would hit her back.
- Genius Bruiser: She has the intelligence to match her absurd strength.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: She gets a massive one as she loses her fight with Zelos. Lydia ends up taking action for her.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Lydia since childhood, and surely with Aria.
- Hypocrite: Zelos accuses her of being this with her Chronic Hero Syndrome.
- Hypocritical Humor: She often calls out Zelos on his crude language. She's almost as foul mouthed as him.
- It's Personal: Her entire drive since childhood is to kill Zelos and avenge her parents.
- Playing with Fire: Her second elemental slot.
- Not So Stoic: She has some moments of this along the game. Special mention goes to her reveal of her motives to Zelos. She starts breaking down before the fight even starts.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Her profile states that she is friendly only to those she considers a friend.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: From the start, with Zelos. And it's only to keep a façade in order to kill the man. She gets better after she starts sorting her shit out.
- The Klutz: Not shown in-game, but her profile states that she is horribly clumsy and her swordsmanship skills comes from her strength alone.
- Not to mention her tastes in making pottery: she can only try making it. Despite it being one of her hobbies, most of the time she only manages to make the clay explode out of the kiln.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the Tomboy to Aria's Girly Girl.
- Tsundere: She's typically kind to her friends. Her personality completely reverses when dealing with Zelos. She has great reasons for this.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Zelos calls you out on letting a criminal go free, you know you've done fucked up. Adelle learned her lesson the hard way when the same criminal prepares a massive ambush for her and Zelos has to come to her aid.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: She has quite the justice sense in herself, contrasting Zelos' selfishness. In one ocasion, this bites her back hard and she gets ambushed by the very thief she forced Zelos to spare in an earlier occasion.
- You Killed My Father: She has trained for most of her life just for that occasion. Adelle only joined the group to kill Zelos, who killed her parents in one of his contracts.
- Zettai Ryouiki
"Aren't you going to ask me how I know that woman?"A white-haired mercenary given the same task as Nguyen and Adelle. His weapon of choice is the "Breaker", which is akin to a cross between a tomahawk and boomerang. He has a stark interest in Zelos Due to his connection with his lover, Dena.
— Referring to the fact he and Zelena know each other... And the previous two Human Genomes Zelos has fought before her
- Artificial Human: He's a Human Genome like Aria and Zelena. He's easier to get the hint than Aria, however, due to the marks around his body.
- Aura Vision: Duja is able to sense Elemental Cores, albeit on a lesser extent than Aria.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: When Duja finally finds Dena and realizes she's not the same anymore, he doesn't take it well. And he had to let a very ballistic Zelos finish her on top of that.
- Big Damn Heroes: Duja starts to position himself against the Genomes when he saves Noel from being killed by Thaddeus.
- Casting a Shadow
- Deadly Disc: His flavor of weapon, along with Precision-Guided Boomerang.
- Defector from Decadence: Duja changed from a highly passive person to someone who would tear every Human Genome apart just to find Dena. The others, especially Sauber, are not amused by that.
- Determinator: He has been searching for Dena for a long time, and he won't stop until he find either her, or answers.
- Gray Eyes: Variation 2, the unapproachable guy.
- Incriminating Indifference: Duja's apparent apathy and involvement in every of the first-contacts with the Genomes only makes him become more and more suspicious. It comes to a point that Sciorra can't bring herself to trust Duja when Ouedraogo flat out says he's one of the Genomes, and Vaughn threatens him in case something happens to Bridgette due to his secrets.
- Safety in Indifference: All that indifference is a cover for his true emotions. Duja just refuses to get attached to people like he did to Dena. Took him realizing he lost her for good to actually start opening himself to others.
- I Will Find You: Duja wants to go with Zelos because he thinks the guy will lead him to Dena. Takes some time, but he hits the jackpot.
- Mysterious Past: Duja always seem to know way more about the Genomes than he lets on due to being a deserter from the Human Genomes. Took him finally finding his answers to finally tell Zelos what's up with him.
- Mysterious Stranger: He never discloses his reasons or origins to anyone until the game nears the end.
Duja: Aren't you going to ask me how I know that woman? (He means Zelena, whom Zelos had just fought)Zelos: No, not really. I couldn't give a damn.Duja: What if I told you that I work with her?Zelos: Then I'd kill you right along with her.Duja: *Awkward silence*
- And when he starts giving hints on who he actually is...
- The Slacker: Only when he was with the Genomes. Duja doesn't give a damn for what they are doing and just wants to be with Dena. When she vanishes from Neverland and Duja suspects their "friends" had something to do with that, he decides to ditch them and get answers on his own.
- The Stoic: He speaks little, and at a quite enigmatic manner. The enigmatic mood is a sign that he's hiding an entire world from Zelos' party.
- Walking Spoiler: He's with you for the entire game, yet every single piece of information on him is a spoiler.
A young, blue-haired lady that was rescued by Zelos and the other mercenaries. Upon realizing that she lost her memories, she decided to travel with Zelos and his 'friends', hoping to remember her past along the way. Her weapon of choice is the staff.
- Artificial Human: She's a Human Genome like Duja and Zelena. Unlike Duja, who was just a slacker who didn't give a fuck for Gustavinus' plans, she went the Defector from Decadence route.
- Unlike Duja, the only hint that she's a Genome is a conspicious tattoo mark around her right bicep.
- Aura Vision: One of Aria's abilities as a Human Genome is being able to sense energy like the one emanated by the Elemental Cores. She can also sense Human Genomes around her, and Duja is also able to do that.
- Badass Pacifist: Aria plain hates violence, despite possessing absurd magical power. Her distaste of violence led her to turn against the other Genomes.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: She feels like she shouldn't be pursuing her desire of getting her memories back. When she does, she realizes why this was a huge mistake.
- Black Mage: She can work effectively as this with her build.
- Casting a Shadow: Fantastically paired with her Light-based abilities.
- Combat Medic: She and Snow can flawlessly work like this.
- Cuteness Proximity: She has a weak spot for furry and cute animals.
- Defector from Decadence: Unlike the other Genomes, Aria had no taste for their violence and plans. She rebelled and tried to solve the entire shit herself. Got thrashed and left for dead for her efforts, and got amnesiac as a bonus.
- Easy Amnesia: Like Zelos she's missing much of her memory. Unlike him it's a major concern of hers.
- Friend to All Living Things: Her general attitude towards people. Reflects on the way she was before her amnesia.
- Have We Met?: Her first reaction by meeting Duja. He denies knowing her. He's lying.
- Heel–Face Turn: She was... kind of... working with the bad guys before that. She had no taste for it and it didn't take long for her to turn against them due to their methods and plans.
- It's revealed that Gustavinus made her and Dena as images of the best traits of mankind. Who would ever guess that this would backfire hard on him in Aria's case?
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: She gets hit HARD with this once she recovers her memories.
- Holy Hand Grenade
- Magic Staff
- My God, What Have I Done?: She was a Human Genome with a lot of blood on her hands and got her amnesia after getting hit in the head and left for dead when she tried to confront her former "partners". Her own mind warns her that she should not recover her memories. And when she finally does, it nets her quite the emotional trauma.
- The Medic
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Aria is prone to those for no specific reason, and they start to increase as Zelos gets to encounter the Human Genomes. When she gets her memories back, she has a massive one for a very understandable reason.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the Girly Girl to Adelle's Tomboy.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: Aria manipulates both Light and Darkness. It mixes well.
A mysterious lady with white hair that needs Zelos' help. She's the protagonist of Spectral Force 2, an Alien Soul (Description given to people brought from other worlds, like our Earth for example) and a teenager (Real name Koyuki Saito) brought forcibly from Earth to Neverland to fight in the demon lord Jadore's stead, but ended up actually not only foiling his plans, but also falling in love with him. She and Jadore entered a long sleep, from which both are awaken by the time of this game. Her weapon of choice is the staff.
- The Ageless: You would think that sealing herself along with Jadore for centuries would erode her body and powers, right? WRONG. She looks the exact same as she looked in Spectral Force 2/3, and is just as freaking powerful as before.
- Badass Pacifist: Snow hates engaging in violence, despite possessing and controlling absurd powers. She lampshades how she doesn't like to use her powers for violence when she's performing her Excellan Theta Original Skill.
- Berserk Button: If anything happens to Jadore, she'll go ballistic.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Touch Jadore the wrong way, and she'll touch you in a deadly way. Despite her delicate talking, she packs a hell of a punch with her magic.
- Combat Medic: Snow is way more combat-oriented than Aria, but she can play the 'medic' part. Or even ignore it as her Vi Ellarge just casts "Re-Raise" on the entire team.
- Dead Woman Junior: Little Snow, named by Jadore after Snow White, the woman who took care of him when he was abandoned by his father. She was killed in accusation of being in league with the demons due to her raising one, motivating Jadore to turn against mankind.
- Extreme Doormat: She initially was this both before Jadore dragged her to Neverland, and during her servitude to him. Hiro, of all people, helps Snow grow out of that and into being a strong woman.
- Forced into Evil: Jadore told Snow he was the only one who could bring her back home, but he wanted her to first conquer the world. Nevermind that the motherfucker actually was the one who brought her there for starters.
- Fortune Teller: Her initial class is this. Also, she talks a lot to Zelos and other people like she's reading the future, a thing she can actually do.
- This is also how she thinks Zelos will lead her to Jadore when the time comes, and how she instantly figures out Duja and Nguyen's backgrounds.
- Hero of Another Story: She was the protagonist of Spectral Force 2... A game that never saw the West, like most of the Neverland franchise. Naiz, another protagonist from another game, had better luck than her.
- However, Spectral Force 3 for the Xbox 360 saw a western release, and it details the exact same events, even if Snow isn't the protagonist.
- Iconic Outfit: Snow's dress and transparent brown coat. Decades passed since Spectral Force 2 was released, and Snow still sports the same overall look, when other classical characters like Jadore (Especially Jadore in Blazing Souls) and Hiro got design changes.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Kamehame Hadouken: Her Excellan Theta has her charging a huge deal of mana over one arm and then shooting it as a massive beam against an entire area. Bonus points for having quite the long range and area effect compared to other Original Skills.
- Light 'em Up: Her main element, as Snow has two light-attuned slots, as well as three of her Original Skills.
- Made a Slave: By Jadore when she landed on Neverland. He said he was the only one who could take her home (Despite being the one who brought her to Neverland in the first place), and Snow, heavily desperate to return to her worthless life, was willing to do anything, including taking over Neverland for Jadore. Then she meets Hiro, Jadore's sister...
- Magic Staff
- Morality Pet: She is one to Jadore, and it goes both ways.
- Mystical White Hair: Granted to her by her powers as an Alien Soul. Her hair was originally brown, as shown in Spectral Force 2.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "Little Snow". Centuries may have passed, but what she did in Spectral Force 2/3 when she was a slave to Jadore is still a nice reason for anyone with a long enough life to fear the return of "Little Snow", as she's mostly seen as an Apocalypse Maiden. Koyuki herself doesn't like being seen that way and berates Nguyen when he brings the issue up... In addition of exchanging that with bringing up his life mission of killing Brumeia.
- Ordinary High-School Student: What she was before being pulled into Neverland. Naiz's case isn't different.
- Person of Mass Destruction: This is what you can describe an Alien Soul like and her very profile says that. Taking her gameplay skills into account, she REALLY lives up to this status.
- If you want proof, just look at het Excellan Theta Original Skill. She starts concentrating an absurd deal of mana over her right hand, and then she basically throws it all against an area, causing massive damage even against things that should be strong against her skill's element.
- Just an example of how powerful she can be: Snow, at her third class and wielding her personal weapon Rod of Omniscience, can not only unleash the sheer absurdity of Excellan Theta, she can also slap the strongest Light and Dark spell combos by herself. God help the monster hit by one of those if she's primed with Critical Break...
- Power Dyes Your Hair: These same powers granted to an Alien Soul changed Snow's hair color from brown to white.
- Preemptive Apology: At every of her turns. Of course, given how much power she packs, she can only feel really sorry for whoever's on the enemy side.
- Really 700 Years Old: Yeah, she's really old. As in centuries old.
- Squishy Wizard: Subverted. She's indeed a fragile mage, but she also has the Alien Soul Potential, which will massively increase her physical abilities should things come to a critical point, making her VERY HARD to take down, as mages in this game also tend to be resistant to magic.
- Stockholm Syndrome: From a slave to Jadore... To the person who will unleash hell should anything happen to him.
- You Can't Go Home Again: She's an Alien Soul, a human brought from our Earth to Neverland. Needless to say, centuries passed and she never got to see her home again.
A pink-haired catgirl that hunts in order to survive. After encountering Zelos and his party, and hearing about their jobs as jacks-of-all-trades, forces herself into the team. Her weapon of choice is the spear.
- Baby Factory: What Ouedraogo sees her as when they first meet. Sciorra is not pleased by that and wants his head for that.
- Berserk Button: Don't ever pet her. If you're someone she especially don't like, the results are described as energetic, bloody, and the stuff nightmares are made of. Touching her tail is off limits in general as well, for other reasons.
- Of course, Fairuza won't give a fuck for this due to her own case of Cuteness Proximity with Sciorra, to the point Sciorra is actually terrified of her.
- Blade on a Stick
- Cat Girl: She's a beastkin.
- Cuteness Proximity: She's noted to have a serious weakness for cute, cuddly, and fuzzy things and can not resist petting, fondling, and generally playing with anything of the sort that comes near her. In fact, she has tons of plushies herself and her profile states that she can't sleep unless she's surrounded by them.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Her first elemental slot.
- Don't Think, Feel: She acts almost entirely on instinct for everything, which tends to disturb the rest of the group.
- Genki Girl: But not as much as Lydia, definitely. She still can't keep herself in a single spot, as evidenced when she tries to concentrate when Isaac is helping Aria and Noel with their magic trainning.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: On her Death Spiral with Lydia. Both perform a 30-Hit combo onto the poor target.
- Playing with Fire: Her second elemental slot.
- That Liar Lies: She immediately points her finger at Duja after Ouedraogo flat out spits that he's one of the Human Genomes. On the same scene she almost does it at Aria, but relents when realizes she is really missing her memory.
- Zettai Ryouiki: A rather interesting example, as it's her fur that provides the look rather than socks.
A green-haired boy with wings that met up with the group while lost on a shopping trip. After being rescued he tags along to learn to be strong like Zelos. His weapon of choice is the staff.
- Absent-Minded Professor: He often spends so much time studying magic that he forgets to eat, sleep, and bathe.
- Acrophobic Bird: Literally. One defining trait of his is that he has a fear of heights, despite being a Winged Humanoid.
- An Ice Person: Only his third elemental slot, he's quite friendly.
- Apologizes a Lot: To Zelos' endless annoyance.
- Black Mage: His main ability, with Potentials tailored for this. Although Critical Break would serve him better than Unleash Magic.
- Blow You Away: His main skill in magic. All his Original Skills are from this element.
- Cowardly Lion: A huge trait of Noel's personality is his cowardice. Sciorra is incredibly annoyed at this at one point.
- Curtains Match the Window: Green eyes and green hair.
- Dishing Out Dirt: His second elemental slot.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Has one when his home village is attacked by the Genomes, namely Thaddeus. Zelos doesn't take it well.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: After Zelos saves his life, Noel wants to become strong just like him. Zelos however has serious doubts about his capabilities, especially during his Heroic B.S.O.D..
- Ironic Fear: He could fly, but he's acrophobic. Zelos of all people somehow helps him out of this.
- Magic Staff
- Squishy Wizard: Noel is good with magic and not much else. You could say that putting him in a frontline against physical hitters would be suicide.
- Tagalong Kid: He's quite young and decides to go with Zelos when he saves his life.
- Winged Humanoid: Unfortunately his fear of heights renders them nearly useless, so he can't bring himself to fly.
A young elf girl that Zelos' crew encounters while exploring some ruins. She joins the team after Zelos butts into her attempts to get treasure one too many times.
- A-Cup Angst: She has some issues with that, being a teenager. And Vaughn almost brings it up in front of Liza.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: As stated in her profile, she developed a strong love for history due to her parents' occupation as Archeologists, and continues their legacy, to the best of her ability. The only time she feels truly happy is when exploring undiscovered ruins, as that is the only time she feels as though her parents were still with her.
- Best Friend: She has one in Kaye since before her parents died, to the point Kaye's actually the only person she will take orders from.
- Big "NO!": If she starts running out of health, she may scream this when taking further damage, or if she's hit by a particularly potent attack.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Has the brattiness down to a "T", and is quite small, though her age is ambiguous at best.
- Cleavage Window: Some kind of frilly undershirt is all that shields her breasts from exposure. Her short tie, which hangs down the center, subverts this in a curious way.
- Cool Hat: It has wing-like appendages.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: If everything is played correctly, after four encounters with Zelos and an accidental Big Damn Heroes, she'll join the party, bringing Kaye and Vaughn along.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: As the in-game profile describes her: "To say that Bridgette has a temper is to say that water has a tendency to be wet." She displays this all throughout the game, seemingly perpetually angry.
- Karmic Thief: One part of her occupation is stealing from the rich. Considering what greedy people did to her, it's no surprise.
- Light 'em Up: Her second elemental slot.
- The Napoleon: Second check in her shortness. She WILL attempt to scythe-slash anyone who insults her height, usually amplified with furious shrieking.
- Pintsized Power House: Third check in her shortness. She's obviously quite short, yet wields the biggest weapon class in the game: the Scythe. And she swings it around like it's made of paper.
- Playing with Fire: Her third elemental slot.
- Princess in Rags: While not likely royalty, she fits the overall attributes: She WAS rich, but was swindled out of her inheritance by the rest of her family. She retains the Rich Bitch attitude, often outright demanding things from everyone else. And her arrogance is top-tier. The only part not quite kept is that, despite being destitute, she somehow retains a very good-looking outfit.
- Purple Eyes: Given her evident proficiency with Electricity, it could be related to Plasma.
- Satisfied Street Rat: Possibly. She never mentions her dead parents, and has seemingly gotten a firm hold on her life, even if she's still homeless.
- Shock and Awe: Half of her unique super attacks use electricity.
- Sinister Scythe: Her weapon of choice. Official art portrays her personal one as having an eye that always looks at her.
- Stepford Smiler: Not within the game itself, but ALL artwork of her portrays her as smiling sweetly, despite the fact that she is filled with rage and frustration.
- Sweet Tooth: An entire in-game mission revolves around going out to kill a bunch of dragons just to earn enough money to "buy her a swimming pool of cake and ice cream". It was Nguyen's idea...
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: By now, it is quite evident that her small stature is a major character trait... Short, angry, female. All checks confirmed. She'll even lash out at Vaughn when in a particularly bad mood.
- Tsundere: Tsun-tsun 95% of the time, but she has had some sweet moments with Zelos, for some reason. He always blows her off, immediately resetting her back to Tsun-mode.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A. On top of that, her skirt is so short that the ends of her bloomers sometimes peek out, resulting in a narrow window of exposed skin.
A lovable and polite dark elf who serves as Bridgette's bodyguard along with Vaughn. Originally from a royal family, she parted ways with it when she was forced to choose between her blood and her newfound friendship with Bridgette. After Bridgette became a destitute, Kaye stuck with her and Vaughn and now goes wherever Bridgette goes, including Zelos' team.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: And God she looks way pretty in it.
- Best Friend: With Bridgette, to the point Kaye abandoned her royal profile for the girl, and she's the only person Bridgette will ever listen.
- Blow You Away: The second part of her set.
- Casting a Shadow: The primary base of her skills, the other base being Wind.
- The Confidant: She's this to Bridgette.
- Fragile Speedster: She's fragile indeed, but she can run circles around other characters if you give her the right gear.
- Hopeless Suitor: Her family keeps throwing guys like these her way in order to try and bring her home. Kaye tends to send these guys back with little effort, using the furious Bridgette as a last resort sometimes.
- Knife Nut: And her skills are quite tailored for that. Unlike Nguyen, she's magic-oriented, however.
- Queen Incognito: One reason why she dresses like a man. And she has no interest in coming back home, unlike Nguyen.
- Ms. Fanservice: One art shows her in a nice dress, and yeah, she's damn pretty out of that suit. Not that her suit doesn't make her pretty for starters.
- Rebellious Princess: She parted ways with her family when she discovered that being royalty would mean being separated from Bridgette. The other reason for her crossdessing, also, is her distaste of the mysoginistic culture that her country has.
- Samus Is a Girl: A nice moment in one scene involving her, provoked by Zelos, no less.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: She does this as her way to act incognito from her family. You would notice from the first time you see her, but somehow no one in Neverland before Zelos, except Vaughn and Bridgette, have ever noticed Kaye's a "she".
- Undying Loyalty: To Bridgette, to the point she gave up being a princess just to be by her side.
A brash elf that works as Bridgette's bodyguard along with Kaye. He's with the girl since her parents saved his life, and treats his servitude as a life debt. Unfortunately, this also nets him his status as a Butt-Monkey for Bridgette's ire when she gets furious.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Just not as badass as Kaye, though.
- Blow You Away: His second elemental slot.
- Butt-Monkey: He always finds a way to end up under Bridgette's ire. This is bad enough for him to end up in a crossfire between Bridgette and Zelena, for example.
- Curtains Match the Window: A reddish-brown pair of eyes accompany his ginger hair.
- Deadpan Snarker: A contrast to Kaye's politeness that tends to irritate Bridgette.
- Determinator: This guy will stick by Bridgette's side no matter what the fuck is thrown at him, even if it is Bridgette herself.
- Elemental Punch: His aptly-named Original Skill Burning Fist.
- Fiery Elven Redhead: And his temper and attacks surely do show it.
- Good Old Fisticuffs
- Ground Punch: Vaughn starts his Fanatic Spike like this and follows it up into a Dragon Punch against the affected targets.
- I Owe You My Life: He was saved by Bridgette's parents in the past. This is the reason he hangs with their daughter even today, despite her being a destitute.
- Mighty Glacier: For such a fiery guy, he's impressively bulky on his stats, oriented highly for his brawling, with huge HP growth to go with his STR and VIT. A contrast to Kaye's Fragile Speedster Black Mage tendencies.
- Playing with Fire: His personallity and skills quite match his primary element.
- Undying Loyalty: To Bridgette, as he feels he's paying his debt to her parents by living his life by her side. He'll also ensure that whoever puts Bridgette's life at risk ends up paying dearly for this, as demonstrated when he threatens Duja due to his secret-keeping issues.
Leeza Valiard is a green-haired vampire investigating the appearance of Human Genomes and their leader. After some chance encounters with Zelos, she correctly deduces the Genomes are hevily interested on Zelos' Elemental Cores, and decides to accompany him, to which Zelos offers no resistance after seeing her proving herself in battle.Liza was last seen on the previous Neverland game, Spectral Souls II (Ressurrection of the Ethereal Empires).
- Action Girl: Between the Seven-Years War and whatever happened over the twenty years up until Blazing Souls, Liza surely evolved into this.
- The Ageless: She's very young as a vampire, but being one means that her body ages very slowly. Even now, she looks like a teenager.
- Attempted Rape: She was victim of one, and got saved on the nick of time. This, and her first encounter with Max, was what caused her to join the army in the Seven-Years' War.
- Berserk Button: NEVER, EVER, speak of her age. She'll prompt you to fight for your life. Al can attest to that.
- Amoral and depraved as he is, Sauber gets to be a massive one himself to Liza.
- Big Sister Instinct: She appointed herself responsible for Al full-time, and shows heavy concern for his misadventures and eventual addition to Zelos' team.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: Liza's name is translated here as Leeza. Tough luck.
- Casting a Shadow: As per vampire tradition.
- Costume Porn: She's definitely well-dressed. And Max's jacket does a fine combo on that dress.
- Dishing Out Dirt
- Her Boyfriend's Jacket: The jacket she's constantly seen wearing all around? It's Max's. Adelle for some damn reason recognizes the jacket on the first encounter.
- Lady of War: Daughter of what amounts to the most powerful family in Neverland and heiress to a vampire clan. Survived a war and will survive it again.
- Light 'em Up: A third part of her set, making her a mixed-element build.
- Like Brother and Sister: She's effectively this with Al.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Well, you don't see her exploding under sunlight like normal vampires do.
- Permanently Missable Content: End a fight too early in Harbor City Girvea, and you'll set up the wrong trigger for her events, making her nearly impossible to recruit and rendering your True Ending inaccessible.
- Politically Active Princess: As in she's a spy for Roze's government tracking down rogue factions around Neverland. The Human Genomes happen to be one of those.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Well, vampire eyes, but you don't need to guess what happens if you push her Berserk Button.
- Royal Blood: The Valiards have stomping political power in Neverland. Not only that, she's also slated to inherit the command of her vampire clan.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Her name is Liza. The Blazing Souls translation is one of many cases of "Blind Idiot" Translation in this game.
- The Gunslinger: Unlike Zelos, she's exclusively dedicated to this. However, her main build leans toward magic.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Her Asmik Derringer Original Skill has her charging energy onto her gun and then unloading fifteen explosive energy discharges at her targets.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Liza was very young during the Seven-Years' War, when she suffered her Attempted Rape. She got a severe trauma from this and lost parts of her memory, only remembering the person who saved her life at the last moment.
- True Companions: With Naiz on this game.
"You meant balls, and women have to show them, right?"A hyperactive Genki Girl who happens to be Adelle's Best Friend. She is intercepted by Zelos and Adelle on Lake Eulid while trying to chase a dragon who was said to be there. After said hunt ended, she decided to stick with Adelle for the run, and by proxy, Zelos.
- Badass Adorable: Lydia is able to make friends with just about anyone, including the near unlikable Zelos. But make no mistakes: she's a talented fighter and she can kick your ass right into next week.
- Best Friend: With Adelle since childhood.
- Secret Keeper: She's the only one aware of why Adelle is really walking around with Zelos.
- Blood Knight: Lydia loves fighting, and will be highly excited for the chance of hitting anything with her fists. Zelos himself gets infected with her energy.Zelos: Damn, woman, you've got some ba... I mean, that's the spirit!Lydia: No, you meant "balls", and women have to show them, right?Zelos: Hell yeah! Figuratively speaking, of course.
- Cute Bruiser: Lydia looks like an energetic teenager... Who also happens to pack a punch with her fists.
- Fire-Forged Friends: She manages to be a fastball case with Zelos. Helps a lot when she ends up becoming a mediator between Adelle and Zelos when the former finally decides to trigger her revenge attempt on the latter.
- A Friend in Need: After Adelle breaks down and fails at killing Zelos, Lydia takes the fight over for her, even knowing that Zelos is way out of her league. Zelos, feeling guilty for Adelle, lets Lydia win against him.
- Genki Girl: You think Sciorra's active? That cat has nothing on Lydia.
- It says a fucking lot when ZELOS gets highly excited watching her disposition to fight. That's right, she managed to make instant friends with a guy who doesn't stick his neck for no living being and happens to be her best friend's mark.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Good Old Fisticuffs: She uses the same weapons as Vaughn, but has a more refined style. She's also heavily combo-oriented, while Vaughn sticks with heavy blows.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Yeah, she has one apparently being used as her headband.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Adelle. But she can work herself into any mostly team-up.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Lydia's stat growth is even on every stat, making her a bit too much balanced for a brawler.
- Motor Mouth: Lydia has a habit of talking too much, even worse than Vaughn. She started accidental rumors about Adelle like this, and on her introduction to Team Zelos, she nearly spills out about Adelle's parents being the very reason Adelle is still hanging with Zelos.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Her Death Spiral with Sciorra has her and the beastkin pummeling the target for 30 hits. Quite a lynching when you consider the combination needed for this are their strongest Original Skills. Her Carnage Sword with Adelle goes even further, with 44 hits.
- Playing with Fire
- Sailor Fuku: A big non-uniform example in her dress.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Lydia LOVES to tease Adelle just for the hell of it. If Zelos or someone else don't cut those two off, they'll keep slinging shit at each other.
An elven treasure hunter who seems interested on the rumors about the Elemental Cores. She tracks Zelos down when she hears that he's after the same stones and seeks to get one for herself with his help.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Makes a living out of hunting treasures and gambling.
- Amazonian Beauty: She's incredibly pretty, and has a great physique for an elf. Her fighting style also backs it up.
- An Ice Person: Her second elemental slot, but her personality is quite warm.
- Cuteness Proximity: Just like Aria and Sciorra, furries. However, with Fairuza, beastkins are included. This terrifies Sciorra to no end.
- Deadly Disc / Precision-Guided Boomerang: Her weapon style, like Duja.
- Double Entendre: More like she's a walking Double Entendre with the way she talks.
- The Gambler: Not shown ingame, but Fairuza makes a living out of gambling. And she knows how to win.
- Guide Dang It!: Recruiting her demands two steps that must be done before your first fight with Thaddeus: Fighting at a specific, hard-to-reach and probably "high-leveled for your current level" map, and visiting another place, just as hard to reach as it demands a specific title to dig into the entrance. Both places are mentioned by guys on the Guild as having been visited by her, but there's zero indication that you did something right, with the end result appearing almost like a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment in Albahart where she pushes herself into Zelos' team, after you scare Thaddeus off.
- Heroic Seductress: Her beauty is also a big weapon of hers, as her Original Skills show.
- Shock and Awe: One of her elements.
- Stripperiffic: Her main art should have told you of how much clothing she likes to wear.
Chief angel from the Heavens, Isaac is a Guardian Angel who descended into Neverland to investigate the Human Genomes and their ambition of supplanting mankind as the dominant species. After helping Zelos out in a clash against one of them (and letting said Genome go), Isaac decides to go along... Especially because Zelos and his Elemental Cores are directly related to his investigation.
- The Ageless: As an angel, Isaac has all the time in the world.
- Always Lawful Good: We'd be surprised to see any fallen angel in Neverland, honestly.
- Badass Longcoat
- Badass Pacifist: Isaac hates fighting. Doesn't mean he won't hand your ass onto a shiny silver platter if he sees you doing evil.
- Blade on a Stick: And much like Kaye is to Nguyen in the Knife Nut department, Isaac is the magic-oriented option to Sciorra.
- Gold and White Are Divine: With touches of Heavenly Blue along his Badass Longcoat.
- Guardian Angel: His main role, along with being in a boss position up high.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Isaac may be the most benevolent character in Zelos' team. Seriously. He even manages to bring one of the bad guys to his side.
- Hidden Depths: Isaac is quite fond of woodworking, and a perfectionist at that. His profile states that he'll spend years working on the same piece just to hit every detail right.
- Holy Halo: The angel halo variant.
- Holy Hand Grenade: His main element. EVERY of his Original Skills is Light-attuned.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Morality Pet: He instantly becomes one to Zelena, to the point she switches sides near the end just to be with him.
- Shock and Awe: His secondary elemental slot.
- Specs of Awesome
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute / Distaff Counterpart: To Ciel of Spectral Souls 1 and 2 fame.
- Winged Humanoid: And unlike Noel, he can fly just fine. And he can completely ignore altitude in battle with his wings, as well.
One of the four Original Saints, representative of water. She at first appears on the middle of a fight between Zelos and some Generic Genomes, forcing him to aid her in a fight. Some time later, she offers to help Zelos against one of the Human Genomes themselves and ends up including herself on the team, due to said Genome's connection with another of the Saints.
- An Ice Person: Her main element, as Water doesn't have a representation in this game.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's a good person at heart and great to have around. Unless you're evil or you're called Edward, then she'll go ballistic and swing her scythe around to turn you to shreds.
- Blow You Away: Her Shadow Wind Original Skill.
- Hidden Depths: She loves making poetry. Also, as her profile states, she also enjoys walking on the beach at night, cuisines, using her powers to decimate enemies... And puppies.
- I Will Find You: She's in it because she's chasing another of the Original Saints, namely Edward. She gets her wish granted along the game and Edward ends up joining Zelos' ranks in time for the final battle.
- Making a Splash: Her entire theme as the Guardian of Water. Doesn't show ingame, fortunately.
- Ms. Fanservice: She really has quite few clothing and lots of skin to show. One art has her dressed more modestly, however.
- Not So Stoic: Especially around Edward. She calms down once he gives up on his grandfather's project.
- The Reliable One: Despite externally acting as a , she's the exact first person that Zelos outright trusts and even offers help to in exchange for her letting him in the know of the Human Genomes, making her opposite to Duja.
- Sinister Scythe: One of the four users of this kind of weapon, but way less sinister than the other three, for sure.
- The Stoic: Carla is very level-headed compared to other characters and rarely lets her emotions show. When she does, however...
One of the Human Genomes, a Succubus-like girl who takes massive fun in enthralling people and sending them against each other. Unlike the others, however, she doesn't give a damn for their goals, and she's rather friendly and even passive to Duja's actions. She has a stark interest in Isaac, which causes her to switch sides after she's taken one too many defeats to him and Zelos, and Isaac assumes the responsability of making her a good person.
- Ax-Crazy: Expect her to go for your head at any given moment. Also, expect her to hypnotize you and pit you against whatever she wants you to fight.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: She has a tendency of inflicting that into a group of people and monsters. It does have a limit, though, hence why she's still helping her Genome peers search for Elemental Cores.
- Defeat Means Friendship: More like "three defeats mean friendship". In the original PS2 version it wasn't like that, as she never joins the team there: You need to capture her Doppelganger... Which isn't an easy task, as they are this game's equivalent of Superbosses.
- Dirty Coward: She's rather lazy and prefers to make whatever poor soul enthralled by her do her job. Bring down whatever mooks she has with her, and she'll be begging for clemency.
- After she starts tagging with Zelos, she ends up becoming a Lovable Coward instead.
- Female Angel, Male Demon: Inverted. Isaac is a male angel, Zelena is a demon-like female Human Genome.
- Heel–Face Turn: After Zelena takes too many defeats, Isaac takes her in. Zelena realizes that, by obeying Isaac, she can stay by his side. She's actually fond of the idea and instantly ditches her allegiance to the Genomes.
- Horny Devils: Her appearance is basically that of a Succubus.
- Morality Pet: Isaac, definitely. She turns against Gustavinus because of him and only him.
- Sinister Scythe: Emphasis on the "sinister" part. Oh, and she LOVES her personal scythe, Demon's Pain.
- Shock and Awe: Her main element.
- Stripperiffic: She has it worse than Sciorra, honestly. Fits her Succubus-like demeanor.
- Winged Humanoid: Your Succubus variant, bat-like wings. She can fly fine with them and, like Isaac, she doesn't need to give a fuck for terrain elevation.