open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The series InuYasha features Kirara, an adorable nekomata (basically a feudal era demon cat) that can shift into a vicious combat mode that has increased size and flight. Is part of the main party, but is owned by Sango as a partner in the demon-slaying tribe.
- Pantherlily from Fairy Tail is this to Gajeel. While the other Dragon Slayers have talking, winged cats as pets, Gajeel has one that can turn into a gigantic humanoid panther who wields a BFS.
- The Strawhat Pirates of One Piece have a cute, cotton candy love, naive reindeer-man as The Medic, who also doubles up as Team Pet. However, once he goes into Monster Point, he can kick some serious ass.
- Œufcoque of Mardock Scramble is an experimental multi-dimensional all-tool shaped like a mouse. He's also a complete gentleman.
- Iggy in Jo Jos Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders. A dog with a stand, the Fool, that has the ability to shape-shift sand into a variety of objects, such as a hang glider.
- Apart from Iggy, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure also have a fair share amount of animals that have Stands, such as Forever, Pet Shop, Stray Cat, Bug-Eaten and his unnamed partner, Coco Jumbo, and F.F. (whose actual form is a colony of zooplankton).
- Shoukoku No Altair: The entire Tughril clan became famous for training golden eagles to help them hunt and fight. The clan's two surviving members, Mahmut and Süleyman, are never seen without their eagles Iskender and Caterina.
- In The Fledgling Year, Aravis’ belligerent horse Inga takes out her fair share of bad guys.
- A Growing Affection: Ni-ne, Hinata's pet cat a.k.a. happily sealed version of the Two-Tails. She later helps Hinata fight off Kabuto's giant two-headed snake summon and stands guard over Rei when Konan tries to kidnap her.
- In the Final Fantasy VII fanfic, Cissnei's Path, Rufus Shinra's guard hound, Dark Nation, joins him in every battle and is the first line of defense should something try and harm him.
Films — Live-Action
- In The Cameraman, Buster's monkey jumps on a Tong thug that is about to jump Buster, saving Buster's life. Then the monkey starts cranking Buster's movie camera when Buster saves Sally, proving Harold's cowardice (he swam away and abandoned Sally) and Buster's heroism.
- In the The Dresden Files series, Harry acquires a very large dog named Mouse which is really a Foo Dog. Said dog is explicitly smarter than a human, VERY resistant to damage, has a bark that can instantly wake everyone in an apartment building during an emergency, and innately detects evil.
- In the Honorverse you have Treecats. Though not actually pet's. Try to harm one or its adopted person and your dead meat.
- In A Song of Ice and Fire, the Stark children each adopt one of a litter of orphaned direwolf pups. So far they've saved their owners' lives on numerous occasions.
- Tortall Universe
- Starting with Faithful in Song of the Lioness, a divine entity in cat form who accompanies her on her quest.
- Kel's pets in Protector of the Small, largely due to the presence of Daine at the Palace. The animals Kel adopts—a flock of sparrows, an ornery horse, and a mutt named Jump—are intelligent enough to act as scouts and fellow combatants in battle.
- Provost's Dog has Faithful again, this time under the name of Pounce, taking an active part in police work. Beka also gets a scent hound named Achoo in the second book. While she's not a fighting dog, she does go with Beka into some dangerous places and takes on a couple of thugs who try to do her in.
- In The Dinosaur Lords, Karyl's pet dino Shiraa is infamous for her war toll, a capable predator and able to cross half the continent to get to her master. At some point, she even considers eating her pursuers, and doesn't only because she knows Karyl wouldn't approve. Oh, and she's a freakin' allosaurus.
- Person of Interest: Finch and Reese's Team Pet Bear the Belgian Malinois. Justified because he's a trained military dog.
- A Memetic Badass variation happened in a Nickelodeon promo for Lassie had a kid making his own dog feel bad by trumpeting up what Lassie could do, including bombing Godzilla.
- Max, the bionic dog from the original 1970's The Bionic Woman.
- Wet Willie's dog in White Water, who accompanies him on all of his river rafting expeditions — over waterfalls, down whirlpools, and dodging boulders — with a big smile.
- Disney used to have a magazine where they had super-powered pets named the Jet Pets who attacked villains, while also being adorable pets.
- Pokémon is about making creatures into action pets through defeating wild ones.
- The dog companions in the Fallout series (Dogmeat in Fallout and Fallout 2 (special event), K-9 and Robodog in Fallout 2, the other Dogmeat in Fallout 3, Rex in Fallout: New Vegas, and another Dogmeat in Fallout 4).
- Koromaru in Persona 3 is a dog who fought off a shadow with his bare teeth and joined SEES to continue the fight, now armed with a knife in his mouth and a super-powered incarnation of his inner psyche. He even saves the entire rest of the team from Shuji Ikutsuki.
- Dark Souls: Great Grey Wolf Sif could be considered this, as he was the companion of Sir Artorias before his death. He also fought alongside his master and when you face him, he wields Artorias' Greatsword with his mouth.
- Poppy, Galford's dog in Samurai Shodown, does many of his moves, including some of the super moves.
- Interceptor, Shadow's dog in Final Fantasy VI, will block attacks. In Final Fantasy VIII, Angelo will perform some of Rinoa's super moves.
- In the FATE series the player has a pet that fights and levels up alongside you, and you can transform it from a cat to a werewolf, wyvern, or other such creature to improve its ability to fight your enemies.
- This article about 5 soldier dogs in Cracked shows this trope can be Truth in Television.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd's cat Death Kitty.
- Zwei, Ruby and Yang's pet corgi from RWBY. The most notable moment of this is when he performed a Fastball Special... while on fire.
- Hooty Mchootface and Waffles of Dice, Camera, Action! are both adorable and full fledged monsters.
- Phineas and Ferb have Perry the Platypus, who is a secret agent in an agency where virtually all of the field agents are action pets, and have a Fedora of Asskicking as their uniform.
- Rainbow Dash Invoked this in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "May the Best Pet Win!" by insisting her pet had to be awesome. It turned out the pet she got, Tank the tortoise, was this, as he can lift large rocks with his head.
- In "Owl's Well that Ends Well" Twilight Sparkle's new pet owl, Owlowiscius, helps save Spike from a full-grown dragon.
- Monkey in Dexter's Laboratory is secretly a superhero.
- Appa, from Avatar: The Last Airbender has several Big Damn Heroes moments, and that's before he gets plate armor.
- Brain of Inspector Gadget is the Hyper-Competent Sidekick of the bumbling detective, and arguably even Penny as well.
- Albert of The Dreamstone who is usually more competent and knowledgeable in stopping the Urpneys than the Dream Maker or his assistants.
- The old WB show Road Rovers, about the pets of several world leaders who were secretly a superhero team.
- Pongo and Perdita in One Hundredand One Dalmatians.
- Bolt, but only in the Show Within a Show. In "real life", he's just an ordinary dog.
- Let's not forget that the plot revolves around Bolt traveling across the entire continental U.S. to find Penny, not to mention that he almost singlehandedly rescues her from a burning TV studio.
- In some Disney cartoons, Mickey Mouse's dog Pluto can get like this sometimes, if the situation arises.
- Courage the Cowardly Dog has faced numerous horrors that are enough to send a normal human running to the loony bin. But Courage goes through any lengths to save his owners Muriel and Eustace, though most times just Muriel.
- In Centurions, Jake's pet dog named Shadow tends to accompany them on missions, as he is quite smart and also happens to wear a harness/rocket launcher that he definitely knows how to put to good use.
- Kim Possible has Rufus, Ron's naked mole rat that accompanies him and Kim on missions, and has helped get the two out of jams numerous times.