When a pet can be just as much of an action character as any person.
Even in Real Life
, pets aren't always timid. They can be dangerous (say if people take in attack dogs or rescue dogs with behavioural problems as pets), or helpful. But this takes that even further,
where the pet is fed on a diet of Rule of Cool
These pets don't stop at going for help when people are trapped behind a landslide. They push boulders out of the way, fetch dynamite to toss at those rocks, or even just will the rocks to move by staring them down.
And the kind of pet doesn't matter. A parakeet, to an alligator, could count, as long as it does stuff that even amazes people that know what the species can do.
of Action Hero
Can overlap with Cool Pet
, Badass Adorable
, Killer Rabbit
, Living a Double Life
(if the owner is not aware of the pet's action nature), Heroic Pet Story
, Heroic Dog
, Team Pet
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Pantherlily from Fairy Tail is this to Gajeel. While the other Dragon Slayers have talking, winged cats as pets, Gajeel has one that can turn into a gigantic humanoid panther who wields a BFS.
- The Strawhat Pirates of One Piece have a cute, cotton candy love, naive reindeer-man as The Medic, who also doubles up as Team Pet. However, once he goes into Monster Point, he can kick some serious ass.
- Œufcoque of Mardock Scramble is an experimental multi-dimensional all-tool shaped like a mouse. He's also a complete gentleman.
- In The Fledgling Year, Aravis’ belligerent horse Inga takes out her fair share of bad guys.
- A Growing Affection: Ni-ne, Hinata's pet cat a.k.a. happily sealed version of the Two-Tails. She later helps Hinata fight off Kabuto's giant two-headed snake summon and stands guard over Rei when Konan tries to kidnap her.
- In the The Dresden Files series, Harry acquires a very large dog named Mouse which is really a Foo Dog. Said dog is explicitly smarter than a human, VERY resistant to damage, has a bark that can wake everyone in an apartment and innately detects evil.
- In A Song of Ice and Fire, the Stark children each adopt one of a litter of orphaned direwolf pups. So far they've saved their owners' lives on numerous occasions.
- Tortall Universe
- Starting with Faithful in Song of the Lioness, a divine entity in cat form who accompanies her on her quest.
- Kel's pets in Protector of the Small, largely due to the presence of Daine at the Palace. The animals Kel adopts—a flock of sparrows, an ornery horse, and a mutt named Jump—are intelligent enough to act as scouts and fellow combatants in battle.
- Provost's Dog has Faithful again, this time under the name of Pounce, taking an active part in police work. Beka also gets a scent hound named Achoo in the second book. While she's not a fighting dog, she does go with Beka into some dangerous places and takes on a couple of thugs who try to do her in.
Live Action TV
- Disney used to have a magazine where they had super-powered pets named the Jet Pets who attacked villains, while also being adorable pets.
- Wet Willie's dog in White Water, who accompanies him on all of his river rafting expeditions — over waterfalls, down whirlpools, and dodging boulders — with a big smile.
- Pokémon is about making creatures into action pets through defeating wild ones.
- The dog companions in the Fallout series (Dogmeat in Fallout 1, 2 (special event), K-9 and Robodog in Fallout 2, the other Dogmeat in Fallout 3 and Rex in Fallout: New Vegas.
- The Team Pet in Koromaru in Persona3 fought off a shadow with his bare teeth and joined SEES to continue the fight fighting with a knife in his mouth, and also saves the team from Ikutsushi
- Dark Souls:Great Grey Wolf Sif could be considered this, as he was the companion of Sir Artorias before his death. He also fought alongside his master and when you face him, he wields Artorias' Greatsword with his mouth.
- Poppy, Galford's dog in Samurai Shodown, does many of his moves, including some of the super moves.
- Interceptor, Shadow's dog in Final Fantasy VI, will block attacks. In Final Fantasy VIII, Angelo will perform some of Rinoa's super moves.
- Phineas and Ferb have Perry the Platypus, who is a badass secret agent in an agency where virtually all of the field agents are action pets, and have a Fedora of Asskicking as their uniform.
- Rainbow Dash Invoked this in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "May the Best Pet Win!" by insisting her pet had to be awesome. It turned out the pet she got, Tank the tortoise, was this, as he can lift large rocks with his head.
- In "Owl's Well that Ends Well" Twilight Sparkle's new pet owl, Owlowiscius, helps save Spike from a full-grown dragon.
- Monkey in Dexter's Laboratory is secretly a superhero.
- Appa, from Avatar: The Last Airbender has several Big Damn Heroes moments, and that's before he gets plate armor.
- Brain of Inspector Gadget is the Hyper Competent Sidekick of the bumbling detective, and arguably even Penny as well.
- Albert of The Dreamstone who is usually more competent and knowledgeable in stopping the Urpneys than the Dream Maker or his assistants.
- The old WB show Road Rovers, about the pets of several world leaders who were secretly a superhero team.
- Pongo and Perdita in One Hundredand One Dalmatians.
- Bolt, but only in the Show Within a Show. In "real life", he's just an ordinary dog.
- Courage the Cowardly Dog has faced numerous horrors that are enough to send a normal human running to the loony bin. But Courage goes through any lengths to save his owners Muriel and Eustace.
- In Centurions, Jake's pet dog named Shadow tends to accompany them on missions, as he is quite smart and also happens to wear a harness/rocket launcher that he definitely knows how to put to good use.