Fedora of Asskicking
"For the heroes, even the fedora, jacket, and khakis were common attire".For some Action Heroes, a fedora is just the kind of hat to wear while in a Fight Scene, Chase Scene, or just doing anything Badass. In some of the adventure Film Serials, the fedora would be worn by the hero, usually as a means of hiding his face when played by a Stunt Double. When Indiana Jones came along, it solidified the hat as a sign of the adventurer (at least to modern audiences). It can also become an Iconic Item. Another function the fedora serves is that it gives the hero a distinctive silhouette. Fedoras also have a home in the Film Noir genre, worn by Hardboiled Detectives. Just be careful not to confuse a trilby (a hat with a similar arc, but a short, curled brim around the perimeter and made from sewn fabric rather than shaped felt) for a fedora. A fedora is also one of the most common hats used in a Coat, Hat, Mask outfit. A Sub-Trope of Nice Hat. A Sister Trope to Adventurer Outfit, Scarf of Asskicking.
Action Heroes Wearing This HatAnime And Manga
- Solf Kimblee from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood wears a fedora as part of his outfit.
- Firo of Baccano!. One of his most well-known scenes is where he singlehandedly beats up a group of thugs without dropping the hat even once.
- Reborn from Katekyo Hitman Reborn! also wears a fedora, which he pulls off spectacularly.
- Koon Agero Agnis from Tower of God after the time skip.
- Alucard wears a nice-looking fedora. He got it from Abraham Van Helsing.
- Daisuke Jigen of Lupin III wears a dark fedora, with the brim usually pulled down, covering the top half of his face. Combined with his slouch, it looks like he's always taking a nap.
- Sera of Detective Conan has one, although she only wears it in her first few appearances. She's definitely badass...one of the reasons is that she beat Ran at her own game (asskicking) with Jeet Kune Do.
- The Spirit, as part of his Coat, Hat, Mask.
- The Question, as part of his Coat, Hat, Mask
- Rorschach in Watchmen, who is an Expy of The Question.
- The Phantom Stranger, although he doesn't really get into traditional fights.
- The Sandman, the original Gas Mask, Longcoat hero, and founding member of Justice Society of America. later adopted by his former Kid Sidekick Sandy the Golden Boy, when he became Sand.
- Fred C Dobbs in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
- David Jones in China
- Indiana Jones in all his films. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade even begins with how he got it.
- Harry Steele (Charlton Heston) in Secret Of The Incas.
- Firo from Baccano! wears a classy green fedora, and is an expert in unarmed combat and knife fighting.
- In Doctor Who, the Fourth Doctor would often wear a fedora.
- The Green Hornet wears one as part of his Coat, Hat, Mask.
- Cain, the eponymous Tin Man, wears one
- Wannabe Hardboiled Detective Shotaro Hidari, half of Kamen Rider Double, wears fedoras. He inherited them from his mentor, actual Hardboiled Detective Sokichi Narumi aka Kamen Rider Skull, and he was so badass he wore a white fedora even as Skull.
- Raymond "Red" Reddington in The Blacklist.
- Gennojo Hyuga from the Castle of Shikigami Bullet Hell series of games is an investigator who flies around firing arcing fireballs and transforming into a werewolf when enraged, due to having the blood of an ancient wolfgod in his veins. He wears a black suit and fedora-style hat.
- Sundown Kid from Live A Live, seeing that his scenario is based on Wild West, comes with one.
- Hazama/Terumi Yuuki from BlazBlue is a villainous example. His fedora is noteworthy, and he's a Class S Troll.
- In Onimusha 2, one of Jubei's alternate costumes is an anachronistic gangster outfit with fedora and shades. Sadly, this outfit only appears in a brief minigame, The Man in Black.
- Phantom R in Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure wears one as part of a nice suit.
- La-Mulana's Lemeza Kosugi rocks a green fedora. He has to hold it on while falling or riding some fast vehicles.
- Baek Doo San from the Tekken series. Although his default costume is a Taekwondo uniform, he has an alternate costume which features him in a suit complete with a fedora.
- Although Linkara of Atop the Fourth Wall didn't start out as an action hero, the plotlines eventually made him one.
- Eskay and Umbra of We Are All Pokémon Trainers both wear black fedoras. The former's fedora has a slit in the side of ambiguous origin.
- Inverted with Demo Reel's Donnie DuPre. When he's with the fedora, the only thing he seems to know how to do well is flirt to get what he wants. When he loses it, he becomes a Damsel out of Distress and gives the family holding him hostage a blistering "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Averted in the Gag Dub Commando Cody and the Hatless Planet. Cody battles evil aliens who seek to steal their fedoras.
"This is a hatless planet. There is nothing more sad than a race of beings who must take off their pants for the national anthem."
- Chip of Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, whose wardrobe was based on Indiana Jones.
- Manitoba Smith from Total Drama, in direct homage to Indie up there.
- Perry the Platypus in Phineas and Ferb is a member of a secret agency where all field agents are action pets who wear fedoras.
- Darkwing Duck wears one with a particularly wide brim as part of his costume.
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ImageSource/Live-Action Films No One Could Survive That