When the character has to take a bath inside a barrel or small oil drum that is usually outdoors and heated over a fire underneath. This is typically seen in poor rural environments out in the country. Despite the bath being too small to fit more than one person, Bathtub Bonding
still can occur, but it's guaranteed to get cramped, making at least one of the bathers uncomfortable (though if you change it so that way one person is bathing and the other isn't, you can have a subverted version of the trope. Or you can avert it by making the drum big enough to accommodate two people). Outdoor Bath Peeping
is another thing that is generally guaranteed. This is the only time a bathtub can be outside without it being considered an Awkwardly Placed Bathtub
This setup is called a "Goemon-buro" (Goemon's Bath) in Japan, in (a somewhat morbid) reference to Ishikawa Goemon
and how he was executed by being boiled alive.
Anime & Manga
Films — Live-Action
- Cry-Baby - when we meet Johnny Depp's "drape" family, patriarch Iggy Pop is bathing in a little metal tub in the yard - he cheerfully exclaims "Ya caught me in my birthday suit!"
- Chico and the Man: Ed Brown catches Chico bathing in a drum in the men's room of the garage.
- The ending of Mega Man 9 shows Dr. Light bathing in a barrel, with a reformed Magma Man providing the heat.
- The bath of the default house in Azure Dreams.
- Lost in Blue 3 has the ability to make a bath out of an oil drum to increase relationship values with other survivors.
- Megadimension Neptunia VII has Neptune, Nepgear, and Uzume Tennouboushi (later, BigNep) sharing a drum bath.