Giant Gorg is a Humongous Mecha anime released in 1984 and directed by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, who's most well known as the character designer for Mobile Suit Gundam.Yuu Tagami was never close with his father. Yet after the old man's accidental death, Yuu finds himself on a plane to New York City, following instructions written in a letter from his late father. New York is as strange as it gets for the boy from Japan, but stranger still is Dr. Wave, the man he's supposed to meet. Dr. Wave shares an obsession with the deceased concerning the mysterious New Austral Island. Ten years ago, the island sprang into being, and then just as suddenly vanished off the maps. But it's still there, and Dr. Wave knows there are secrets on that island that demand investigation. Unfortunately, he isn't the only one! The corporation known as GAIL wants those secrets for themselves, and they're willing to kill to get their way! What secrets lie on New Austral Island?One of the notable things about Giant Gorg is that it's a "Super Robot" show with a twist. While it does have some elements of the Super Robot Genre (Gorg is sentient, and friends with Yuu Tagami), it has more tropes associated with the Real Robot Genre (Gorg has no super powers, and the show has a heavy Military presence). This makes Gorg one of the few examples of a "Super Robot with Real themes", whereas usually (especially nowadays), it's the other way around.Discotek Media announced that they acquired the licensing rights for the show back in 2015, and released it on DVD for North American Distribution. Crunchyroll also acquired the streaming rights for the show, and you can watch the first episode here.
Tropes asociated with Giant Gorg are:
- Badass Normal: Skipper, who gets to be portrayed as an incredibly tough guy despite the "real" hero of the show being a giant robot and him not even being the robot's pilot. Gorg himself compared to most other anime mecha, having no Toyetic weaponry whatsoever.
- Combat Pragmatist: Gorg is essentially this. Gun out of ammo? Use it like a club! Have no weapon to combat the enemies? Throw a giant rock at them! Military vehicles in the way? Just push the bastards aside!
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Skipper.
- Red Eyes! Take Warning: Gorg has these on occasion.
- Shout-Out: Every episode (except the last one) ends with these words: SAME GORG TIME, SAME GORG CHANNEL.