The Last Guardian
is the third work by Team ICO
. The game, which takes place in the same world as Shadow of the Colossus
, tells the story of a young boy who is trying to escape from deep within what appear to be the ruins of a massive castle.
Hindering the boy's escape are mysterious armor-clad soldiers who attempt to capture him; luckily though, the boy earns the friendship of a giant, horned baby griffin named Trico, who is able to make short work of them. Together, they must find a way out of the castle.
Unfortunately, it is currently stuck in Development Hell
. This has not been helped by the news that several key members of Team ICO
's staff have quit.
This game provides examples of:
- A Boy and His X: A boy and his giant, horned baby griffin.
- Animated Armor: There's nothing inside the guards' armor, except for some black smoke.
- Annoying Arrows: Although Trico has bunch of them sticking out of his back, he doesn't seem to be hindered by them at all.
- Possibly subverted, as pulling arrows from his body is apparently one of the ways the boy takes care of him.
- Faceless Mooks: The guards.
- Interspecies Friendship
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Trico has features of a bird, rat, dog and/or cat, and even what look like giraffe horns. Depending on the translation, he's also a case of...
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": In the Japanese materials, he is referred to as an erne - another word for a sea eagle.
- Call a Pegasus a "Hippogriff": In English, he's frequently referred to as a griffon, but there's not much about him that's explicitly griffon-like except for the fact that he's feathered - his feet and beak are somewhat birdlike, but they're quite oddly-shaped (and the latter may or may not actually be a beak-shaped muzzle, it's hard to tell).
- Ruins for Ruins' Sake: Like Shadow of the Colossus, it features massive amounts of them.
- Scary Impractical Armor: The guards' armor is very elaborately engraved and quite menacing, if a bit oxidized. It's a wonder though, that they have any peripheral vision while wearing it, or that they're even able to stay balanced.
- Then again; there's nothing inside the armor beyond some black smoke. They probably don't need eyes.
- Scenery Porn
- Slave Mooks: Possibly the guards. An interview with Team Ico states that the guards are "not acting fully out of their own intentions".
- Spiritual Successor: To both Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, as it takes place in the same world and features similar architecture and themes.
- Uncanny Valley: Invoked in concept by the creators as the reason why Trico is a made-up creature, rather than a dog or something; if he was based on a real animal, people who owned that animal would only notice the pieces that didn't look right.