When someone does something that's very brave, or at least very risky, it is said that they have Brass Balls, even if they are female. No reason has ever been given for why brass balls are either braver or more foolish than meat balls or billiard balls or... any kind of ball at all, really.note
The balls part we get, though. Evidently there is a direct correlation between them and boldness.
may come into play; superior to brass balls are balls of iron
, beaten out only by balls of steel.
See Testosterone Poisoning
for more information.
open/close all folders
- In Slayers, a bandit says to Lina: "You have some balls, kiddie! Oh wait, you don't, you're a girl."
- In the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010, China utters this immortal line to Hong Kong:
China: Choosing to go naked rather than wear a maid outfit? ...YOU'VE GOT BALLS-ARU!!
- The English Dub of Rosario + Vampire plays this nearly word for word when Kou accidentally looks up Inner Moka's and Kokoa's skirts.
Inner Moka: Well, you've got some big, brass ones, I'll give ya that much.
- Micronauts: The Micronaut once stated that it has literal brass balls.
- In The Ballad of Twilight Sparkle, two cops are described this way for requesting an audience with the local resident Physical God Emperor: 'the sheer atomic weight of [their] solid plutonium reproductive organs would make escape velocity all but impossible.'
- In Flight: Due to the multiple stunts Shirou pulled, Uzume had described him this way. Start with "Bowling balls" and it's currently at "Giant brass beach balls".
- In Speed when Jack Traven survives one of the many death defying moments he encounters over the course of the film a passenger cheerfully informs him:
Ortiz: You're not too bright, man, but you got some big, round, hairy cojones.
Jack: That... is really, really gross, Ortiz.
- The centerpiece of Alec Baldwin's epic speech in Glengarry Glen Ross is his use of a visual aid to demonstrate what a real estate salesman needs.
- There's a great scene in LA Story where Harris (Steve Martin) is walking on the beach with arrogant bastard Roland (Richard E. Grant) and there's this metallic clanging noise. Harris asks what it was and Roland says, "It's a nuisance. It's my damn testicles."
- Wayne's World: When Wayne kicks Cassandra's father in the nuts in a kung-fu duel, a pair of two Chinese medicine balls (made of metal, of course) fall out.
- Heard in Who Framed Roger Rabbit when Eddie confronts R.K. Maroon.
R.K. Maroon: You got a lot of brass coming in here by yourself.
- In Police Academy 4, Callahan (a female instructor) informs a nervous female recruit that, "Soon, you'll have abs of steel, ice in your veins and a set of brass balls like this!", indicating the size of two basketballs.
- The Jackie Chan movie Mr Nice Guy has a scene where Jackie's Friend on the Force confronts the Big Bad for harming his father, but to no avail, leading to this immortal line:
That boy's got some big brass ones... He'd better be careful or he'll find them hanging on his Christmas tree!
- Said of the biker in The Mist who volunteers to leave the supermarket and brave unknown peril to attempt to retrieve a rifle from a pickup in the parking lot.
Live Action TV