You Got Guts
This is a Stock Phrase
, typically said by an older, tougher character, about a younger, supposedly weaker character
. The older character could be an Aloof Older Brother
figure, or it could be a villain taunting his young foe.
Differs from You Got Spunk
in that the latter refers to a villain taunting the captured heroine, although the words "spunk" and "guts" are interchangeable in either context. "Guts" may also be substituted with "balls" in some works. Hold Your Hippogriffs
can even apply to this sometimes.
Third-person variants are also possible, especially when the older guy doesn't want to admit his respect for the youngster to his face. Another third-person variant is often used for Black Comedy
following a particularly gory scene.
- From Stuart Little 2:
Snowbell: You've got guts, kid! And you've got spunk! Not to mention moxy! You've got guts, spunk, and moxy!
- From Here to Eternity:
Alma: Yes, proper! In another year I'll have enough money saved. Then I'm going to go back to my home town in Oregon, and I'm going to build a house for my mother and myself, and join the country club and take up golf. Then I'll meet the proper man with the proper position, to make a proper wife, and can run a proper home and raise proper children. And I'll be HAPPY because when you're PROPER you're SAFE!
Robert E. Lee "Prew' Prewitt: You've got guts, honey. I hope you can pull that off.
Alma: I do mean it when I say I need you. 'Cause I'm lonely. You think I'm lying, don't you?
Robert E. Lee "Prew' Prewitt: Nobody ever lies about being lonely.
- The infamous "You got a lotta guts, Oscar!" from Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky. Infamous because it was in response to Oscar using his own intestines to strangle Ricky.
- In The Jungle Book, Shere Khan says to Mowgli, "You have spirit for one so small."
- In Tarzan 2, Zugor tells Tarzan "You've got pluck, kid." But when Tarzan smiles, the old gorilla then says grumpily "I HATE pluck."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Ken: That... was not... permitted!
Buffy: Yeah, but it was fun.
Ken: You've got guts. I think I'd like to slice you open, and play with them!
- Variant in the Twilight Zone episode "Caesar and Me": The ventriloquist's evil dummy (now minus ventriloquist) tells the little girl that she has a "hip attitude", and encourages her to become his new accomplice.
- When Milton Berle did a burlesque comedy routine with Fozzie, one of the jokes Fozzie wanted Milton to do prompted him to tell Fozzie this.
- Was always said at the end of episodes of Nickelodeon GUTS, mostly as a Title Drop. "No ifs, ands or buts...these kids got guts!"
- From The Goon Show
Neddie: Egad, Bloodnock, I admire your guts!
Bloodnock: Why, are they showing?
- The Elona if, after being ambushed by bandits, you chose to fight rather than hand over your goods and money, the bandit leader will complement you on having guts.
- Of course, if you're feeling sufficiently cheap, but don't have the levels to actually fight off the bandits, you can refuse to hand over money, then turn tail and run instead of facing the bandits.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Upon a young Link drawing his sword and making an attack, Ganondorf tells him, "You've got guts, kid."
- In Fallout 4, after he and the Sole Survivor defeat an enemy, Nick Valentine has this to say.
Nick Valentine: You've got guts...well, had guts.
- Dawn of War II: Retribution; Kaptin Bluddflagg says a suitably orky version to Autarch Kayleth in the first mission of the ork campaign.
Bluddflagg: Ya got guts, skinny, I'll give ya dat... and they're gettin' all over da place, yeugh!
- Final Fantasy X - Cid likes Tidus's style when it comes to his resolve in protecting Yuna.
Tidus: Gramps, letís move!
Cid: Easy, kiddo. Bevelleís defenses are top-notch.
Tidus: Whatís the matter, gramps? You scared? Yunaís there, so we go and get her! And thatís all!
Cid: Heh! You got guts. Set course to Bevelle! Full speed ahead!
- Another variation: In an episode of Recess, substitute teacher Mr. E tells Mikey that he's "got chops."
- Darkwing Duck says something like this about Gosalyn in the pilot. If I remember right, it's 'If they knew how much spirit you had, I bet they'd be running the other way!', referring to would-be kidnappers.
- The Sponge Bob Square Pants Movie:
Dennis: You've got guts, kid. Too bad I'm gonna rip'em out of you.
- After The Real Ghostbusters help the ghost of a private eye stop the ghost of a burglar cursed by an ancient Egyptian artifact he tried to steal.
Blackie: Who were those guys?
Sam: The Ghostbusters. They got moxie.