Web Video: Dangan Ronpa Abridged Thing
Makoto: I'm Makoto Naegi and I'm a new student here at Hope's Peak Academy. I'm just your everyday teenager who was lucky enough to be invited to this prestigious school. I'm going to take this opportunity by the horns and bravely face every trial that comes my—Dangan Ronpa Abridged Thing (or "DRAT") is an Abridged Series of the Dangan Ronpa anime by Faulerro of Nullmetal Alchemist fame. Only six episodes (plus a 'Meet The Students' Special, and two shorts featuring a couple of characters from the sequel) so far, but it's definitely hilarious. Just like the Visual Novel and the Animation, keep in mind that there will be unmarked spoilers! It can be found here.Subpages include the Funny, Heartwarming, Awesome, Tearjerker, Milage Varies, Character, Quotes, and Trivia pages. Enjoy!
* Smash Cut*
* Smash Cut*
This series provides examples of:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Speaking of unmarked spoilers, there's Genocider Syo, Touko Fukawa's split personality and Super Duper High School Stabby McMurder, backing up Makoto's refutal when Byakuya said Fujisaki's murder is a textbook example of Syo's handiwork...Syo: Byakuya, love, I do hate to piss on your porch like this, but that was a piss-poor approximation of my piercing presentations.
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: In regards to Maizono's death...Togami: Make no mistake about it, Naegi. Sayaka Maizono is dead. Let me be the first to say it: About bloody time!Celes: Oh, hear, hear.Naegi: Hey, screw you! Somebody just died!Kirigiri: And my suspicions were confirmed. I deduced that one of us would murder her, sooner or later.Naegi: Look, I know the Wapanese talk was a bit grating but—Monokuma: But nothing! I would've done it myself if I was playing this game.
- Aluminum Christmas Trees: Many people think Faulerro inserted the "Hunny" pot in front of Monokuma. That was actually in the episodes, however.
- Angrish: AHO AHO AHO AHO AHO AHONaegi: Stop quacking at me and admit you did it!
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
Monokuma: Friend against friend! Brother against brother! Fat guy—Yamada: Video Games?Monokuma: Against... I dunno, the emotionless broad over there!Kirigiri: You don't wash your hands after urinating, do you?
- Episode 1:
Ishimaru: No! Bro! I do not care that you are a murderer! I do not even care that you are a furry!
- Episode 4:
- Art Shift:LEON KUWATA HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY. CHANGING ANIMATION STYLE ACCORDINGLY.
- Birds of a Feather: Togami only seems to get along with Celestia, which Naegi attributes to them both being sociopaths and therefore perfect for each other.
- Black Blood: Lampshaded in The Stinger of Episode 2. Taken Up to Eleven when it is revealed that strawberries are also pink.Naegi: OK, am I tripping here, or is all the blood pink?Celes: Of course it is, Naegi. Blood has always been that color.Naegi: What!? No, it hasn't! It-Celes: Just like the humble strawberry. Want one?Naegi: Strawberries aren't supposed to be pink!
- Blunt "Yes":Naegi: Chihiro... made a fully functional artificial intelligence. We're just accepting this?Kirigiri: Yes.
- Book Ends: So far, the first four episodes in the series proper contained this trope.
- Brainless Beauty: Junko. This is lampshaded heavily during her Meet The Students segment.Greg: Junko Enoshima may be academically challenged and have all the personality of a dishcloth, but she is physically attractive and has appeared on magazine covers, so she still holds a place in society!
- Brutal Honesty: When asked about Chihiro, Kirigiri promptly informs Alter Ego that "Oowada crushed their head."... Right after Naegi tells her to be tactful.
- Butt Monkey: Yasuhiro Hagakure was dealt 'penalties' by Monokuma in Episode 3. Needless to say, that's one way to damage somebody's influence.
- Captain Obvious Reveal: In-Universe: "11037," emphasized by Leon's helpful nametag. Lampshaded further after Monokuma confirms the verdict.Naegi: Monokuma, it really was Kuwata, wasn't it?Monokuma: Yahoo! Yeah, you bastards worked out who the totally-not-obvious killer was! Good going there, you frickin' geniuses!
- The Cameo: In the end of Episode 6, Celes is sent back to the hell where she's spawned. Denizens already there are Elsea, Haqua, Ronove and Scorpion/Hanzo Hasashi. The last one also made passing mention to Bi-Han/Sub-Zero and Quan Chi.
- Catch Phrase:
Naegi: You got that wrong!Togami: ... that is not what I wanted you to tell them, Naegi.
- Kiyotaka Ishimaru: "X is not welcome in a School Environment!"
- Leading inevitably to: "This school environment is not welcome in a School Environment!"
- A variation thereof in Episode 3: "This debate was very much welcome in my pants environment"
- Naegi repeats it in the Episode 5 stinger while examining Ishimaru's corpse.
- Byakuya Togami: "Oh yes.", "You are/have X the Esteemed Y of Byakuya Togami!" And as of Episode 4, "Tell them, Naegi."
- Monokuma: "Totes Sinister"
- Kyouko Kirigiri: "Ah. My suspicions are confirmed." or "If I have to guess..."
- Nagito Komaeda: "I'll just be over here. Hoping."
- Aoi Asahina mentioning donuts in any way.
- Makoto Naegi mentioning "At this time, I realized…", You've got that wrong! and "Yamada, No."
- Celestia Ludenberg going 'Technicolor' while speaking in Satan voice. Or saying "Hear, hear" on things she agrees with (usually with Togami).
- Later kind of referred in Episode 6, where Celes shows her disdain to those who kept saying their Catch Phrase, stating them as 'Catch Phrase-spewing machines'.
- Kiyotaka Ishimaru: "X is not welcome in a School Environment!"
- Character Blog: Apparently, Byakuya and Fukawa have their own on Tumblr.
- Cluster F-Bomb: ASSHOLE ASSHOLE ASSHOLE ASSHOLE ASSHOLE
- Compelling VoiceHellspawn!Celes: YOU WILL EAT THE STRAWBERRY, CREATURE OF FLESH!!!
- Comical Overreacting: Apparently, Naegi was only included in the show because the staff felt his reactions would be entertaining.Greg: And they were correct.
- Compressed Adaptation: Lampshaded in the investigation montage. Lampshaded again when Leon, trying to avoid execution, points out that they've skipped all of his backstory. Monokuma points out that nobody cares.
- Episode 4 has been accused of being this, since it abridges both the episodes that make up Chapter 2 and cuts a lot more as a result.
- Curse Cut Short: SubvertedLeon: You son of a (pelted by baseballs) Ballsballsballsballs...
- Deadpan Snarker: Naegi, when he's not screaming.
- Delayed Reaction:
Maizono: Naegi, is that you? Konnichiwa!Naegi: Oh hey what's up Maizono—WAIT MAIZONO WHAT?!
- In the first episode, immediately followed by two more in the same conversation:
Togami: Yes, I think I shall do just peachy at this game, as a matter of fact.Naegi: Did you seriously just say "peachy"? And, uh, "game"?
- In the fourth episode:
- Don't Explain the Joke:Monokuma: I'm half hope and half despair! Des... bear... "Bear," y-you get it?
- Double Take:Ishimaru (Before Monokuma's Class Trial Explanation): A Class Trial! Justice is very much welcome in a School Environment!Ishimaru (After): ICHANGEDMYMINDTHISISNOTWELCOMEINASCHOOLENVIRONMENT!
- Dumbass Has a Point: Alluded to by name - except asshole instead of dumbass - when Togami says there is a traitor.
- Dumb Jock: Dumb Super Duper High School Jock, more likeGreg: Leon Kuwata is exceptionally good at baseball and very little else. Luckily, his bat-based skills are all he needs—so much so he's excused from being a complete moron otherwise!
- This becomes a plot point, as Naegi explains to the class that only he was stupid enough to cover up a murder so sloppily.
- Dumb Muscle: Neither Leon nor Oowada are close to the sharpest tools in the shed. Sakura isn't as bad, but Episode 5 suggests she's rather computer-illiterate.
- Dwindling Party: As in the original, which Monokuma mentions as a method of trimming down the large cast.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Hajime Hinata and Nagito Komaeda. When the latter appears in the character introduction video, Greg is less than pleased.Komaeda: Did somebody say... hope?Greg: What...? Komaeda, get lost. You're here way too early.Komaeda: Oh, okay. I'll just be over here. Hoping.
- Emotionless Girl: If one had to guess, they would say Kirigirinote would be referred as such.
Monokuma: "Mention the fact that she's emotionless as crap!"
- During "Meet The Students":
- Even Evil Has Standards: In the Trigger Happy Havoc Trailer Parody Dub, Monokuma is horrified when the trailer goes about how "the Blackened will be punished" and quickly tries to remind everyone about how the game is not about ethnic cleansing.
- After Kirigiri stated (in Motor Mouth fashion, no less) that Fujisaki is recognized as male, Monokuma held up a disclaimer stating that it's not fond of people being offended by fictional characters. It also mentioned to never talk about it again.
- Even Monokuma doesn't have the heart to subject the students to his English dub voice. Subverted in Episode 6, he specifically re-activates that dub voice just before he executes Celes, much to her chagrin.
- Exact Words: Monokuma fulfills his promise of bringing the survivors a picture of 'What Maizono looks like under those clothes'. Turns out, it's just Maizono fully dressed and located under her idol costume.Naegi: I fucking hate that bear...
- Eye Scream: Hagakure's first and second penalties, inflicted by Monokuma's darts. His third penalty had him shot in the crotch. He gets better by the next episode... but then Syo threw a pair of scissors at his Third Eye.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Celestia, with extra emphasis on demon.
- Failed a Spot Check: Oowada was guarding the crime scene but completely failed to notice Maizono's dying message, possibly because he slept through most of the investigation.
- Fan Disservice: Monokuma-in-shell-bikini. Had the students refused to commit the first murder, even with the motive, they would've instead been flooded with these pics, among others.
- Fetish: Turns out Ishimaru has one for debates.
- Naegi has one for girls with cup noodles on their heads.
- Togami apparently has a thing for murder mystery-themed porn.
- Oowada is a closet furry.
- Filler: The 'Meet the Students' short is considered one in universe.Monokuma: So here's a cop-out filler video to keep you occupied!
- Flat "What.": Naegi's reaction to Monokuma giving him a tentative "Super Duper High School Average Joe" title.
Naegi: At this moment, I was aware of how adorable this girl was and how me wanting to hit that was both totally acceptable and something I'd never regret.
- Naegi's thoughts on Chihiro Fujisaki in the first episode:
Monokuma: Upupoops, My finger slipped. Anyway, that one doesn't count. No trial for her... probably...
- Leon Kuwata seems surprised that just committing murder isn't good enough.
- After Junko gets killed:
- Barely noticeable, but during the trial Kirigiri preemptively shuts down everyone's arguments against Naegi in a way that's at least somewhat courteous. Even when she cuts off Ishimaru, she explains that whatever he was going to suggest is impossible. When Leon tries to interject however, she simply gives him a cold "Shut up."
- When Naegi reminds everyone of the (assumed to be) naked Maizono pictures promised to killers, Leon promptly asks Monokuma when they're going to get them.
- After the first culprit is discovered, Celes gleefully anticipates a weenie roast.
- In the Meet the Student extra, the introduction of Celestia says "Celestia Ludenberg, if that is indeed her real name..."
- Freeze-Frame Bonus:
- Episode 3 has fully written out Maizono's message, complete with Gratuitous Japanese. Also, Maizono's photo at the end might need this treatment.
- Episode 4 has Naegi's browsing history (in which he Googles pictures of Maizono with cup noodles on her head) and Togami's tumblr post. And in the trial, where Naegi counters Byakuya's statement, the Truth Bullet will read "Yeah Except No" before being fired.
- The Friend Nobody Likes:
- Maizono is treated like The Scrappy by the whole cast except Naegi due to her weeaboo-ism and Faulerro enjoys taking potshots on her humorously.
- Both Greg and Hinata are disgusted with Komaeda and his hope obsession.
- Funny Background Event: During Naegi's first encounter with Kirigiri, Asahina is faintly talking to Oogami about donuts.
- Gilligan Cut:
Naegi: (reading his browsing history) Oh geez. I mean, this is pretty heavy stuff. But surely we're all united enough to endure this and—(cut to Chihiro's corpse accompanied by Despair Pollution Noise Music)Naegi: (collapses, twitching) Goddamnit.
- In Episode 4.
- In Episode 5, after accidentally creating Ishida, Kirigiri tells Alter Ego not to talk to anyone else. Alter Ego agrees. Cut to Yamada begging Naegi for help after he "mistook Alter Ego for an advanced porn game."
- Gratuitous Japanese: Courtesy of the Super Duper High School B-List Celebrity herself, Sayaka Maizono.Greg: She speaks fluent weeaboo, even though she is already Japanese. Try not to think about it too hard.
Naegi: Nani?! Sore wa chigau yo! (fires evidence bullet)Leon: Ow...! What did you say?Naegi: Oh, I mean "you've got that wrong."
- Naegi gets in on the act when he tries "thinking like Maizono," culminating in:
Monokuma: Oshioki time, yo!
- Monokuma gets in on the act from time to time. He pronounces "extreme" as "ekkusturiimu". That, and in Episode 4...
- Yamada starts using it in earnest after meeting his "waifu" Alter Ego, who had it hard-coded by Chihiro.
- Groin Attack: Hagakure's third penalty. Even though Oowada is the one who spoke out of turn.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Oowada's answer to everything is apparently aggression and violence. Ultimately leads to his killing of Fujisaki.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Naegi's internal dialogue gives him shades of one.
- Hurricane of Puns: Two of them strike in Episode 4, one with "bro" and one with "Syo."
- Hypocritical Humor:
- Ishimaru complains that Oowada can't control his Indoor Voice, while he...
- Oowada, meanwhile, calls Ishimaru's debate fetish "weird" while he himself's a member of Furry Fandom.
- Fukawa expresses hatred for "cis white male scum" but retains her canonical crush on Togami, who is not only male and presumably cis but one of the most likely characters to be even a little bit white.
- When Naegi is suggested to be a killer, Togami calls him "depraved," despite having only moments ago eagerly contemplated killing.
- I Always Wanted to Say That: Hagakure breaks out a frivolous "Objection!" because of this. Monokuma penalizes him with a dart to the eye.
- I Never Said It Was Poison: Oowada is tripped up when he lets slip that he knows about Togami's browsing proclivities.Oowada: Whatever, man, I still think it's Togami. He obviously didn't want everybody to find out about those murder mystery porn sites he visits.Togami: W-what?Naegi: You've got that—right?
- Implausible DeniabilityNaegi: Kuwata, your first name is Leon, right?Leon: (wearing a "Hello My Name Is Leon" tag) ... n-no, what gave you that idea?
- Insane Troll Logic: Leon's slightly-more-coherent arguments in his defense soon spiral into this; he claims that Maizono, being a practitioner of Gratuitous Japanese, would have written "Leon-kun."Naegi: What kind of person would use honorifics on their killer?!Leon: That weeb was fucking retarded! Maybe that's how she writes your name!
- Is It Something You Eat?: Asahina wonders this about Maizono.
- It's Not Porn, It's Art: Hifumi Yamada, the Super Duper High School Dork Supreme, is an artist, and by "artist" we mean "amateur pornographer".
- Jerkass: Byakuya Togami. His title is Super Duper High School Prick, after all. Also Monokuma.
Naegi: Are you guys seriously listening to him? He's an asshole!Hagakure: An asshole with a point.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Named nearly verbatim when Togami theorizes about the mole.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Junko Enoshima.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Five Words: Super Duper High School BeefcakeGreg: Let's just get it over with, shall we? Sakura Oogami is a woman. There, are you over it now?[...]Monokuma: She's also terrifying!
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: The montage of student reactions to Monokuma confirming he wants literal, actual death-causing.Chihiro: Oh no!Maizono: Dame desu! (Not allowed)Junko: Like, are you, like, serious-like?Ishimaru: (twitching) Murder is not welcome in a school environment!Togami: You have piqued the esteemed curiosity of Byakuya Togami!
- Laughably Evil: As horrible as Monokuma is, there's no denying that he is hilarious.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall:
Hinata: As you may notice, I am currently stuck in a void!
- The thousand-follower video, with game sprites on a black background, features this:
Togami: You're damaging the esteemed ears of Byakuya Togami! (introductory screen pops up behind him) See, that's my name.Naegi: Oh, so we're acknowledging that thing, okay.
- In the first episode:
Monokuma: OK, let's get this thing rolling!Asahina: Whoa, kind of looks like it's spinning to me...
- At the start of the first trial:
Kirigiri: Didn't you investigate the crime scene?Naegi: Well, yeah, but it was during a montage, so...Kirigiri: If you did it properly, you might have found this.
- When presenting the "booty call" letter:
Leon: Wait, is it just me or does everything look different—[...]Monokuma: There ain't nothing like a Rotoscoped execution, I tell ya!
- At the end of the first trial:
Togami: Go on, throw some evidence at the screen with no real explanation.Naegi: "Screen"? Togami, are you okay?
- During the investigation montage in the fourth episode:
Celestia: I'm fine, there's no freaky music after all.Naegi: Wait, so I'm not the only one who hears that? Thank god for that.
- During episode 5 when they find Celes' unconscious:
- Les Yay: As Kirigiri points out, Monokuma offered everyone the same incentive of, what was assumed to be at the time, naked Maizono pictures. Monokuma: Don't act like you're not curious!Kirigiri: You're more perceptive than you look.
Asahina: Based on what the letter said, doesn't that mean the killer has to be a guy?(flashback)Maizono: We got really down and dirty. We were lezzing it up!(end flashback)Naegi: Not... necessarily...
- Not only that, Maizono herself assumed the compromising pictures were of a drunken tryst with the rest of the Kawaii Choir. In court, after revealing the note inviting someone for a "sugoi booty-call":
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Monokuma points this out in the first episode, despite it only being a mild case:Monokuma: (to everyone) Let's face it. There's way too many characters here, and no way people can relate to such a bloated cast. We gotta thin the numbers, ya dig?
- Madness Mantra:
- Maizono: "Baka! Baka baka baka baka baka!"
- Leon: "Asshole asshole asshole [...] aho aho aho!"
- Oowada: "YiffyiffyiffyiffyiffyiffYIFFFFF!"
- Malicious Misnaming: After Yamada's death, Celes insists on calling Hagakure "Mr. Bum."
- Mood Whiplash: Despite the series humor, the tone tends to take a dramatic shift before the execution.
- Most Definitely Not a Villain:
Leon: (to Naegi) Dude, it's so obvious you did it. I mean, it couldn't have been anybody else! I literally struggle to think of a more guilty person than you!
- Inverted as the class gets ready to get on the elevator for the first trial:
WOW! IT'S THE KILLER!VOTE FOR THIS GUY!
- The signs found in the locker besides Hagakure in the robot suit.
- Mythology Gag
- At the end of the first episode, Naegi asks for a Super Duper High School title that everyone else has. The first one given was "Super Duper High School Good Luck", which is his canon reason for getting in. He then points out that it's "stupid and clearly inaccurate". The "Super Duper High School [X]" naming scheme itself comes from the Zetsubou translation patch.
- Leon's Villainous Breakdown of shouting "Asshole" degrades to just "aho", which he repeatedly screamed in the anime and game. Also, while trying to shout his way out of things he calls Maizono "retarded," which is the translation of "aho" in the Let's Play on Something Awful.
- In Episode 4's Stinger, Genocider discusses her nickname and mentions that, while the Internet came up with Genocide Jack, no one ever asked her what she would like to be called and says she would rather be named Jane. Genocide Jack is the name the official translation uses and in that version she did tell the cast what her preferred name was, though there she said it was Genocide Jill.
- Also from episode 4 (albeit probably by accident from Faulerro's part), Naegi uses a "Truth Bullet" to agree with another's statement, instead of disproving it. The mechanic was implemented in the second game.
- Even more obscure is Yamada's line about wanting to unlock a maid café, since in Dangan Ronpa Zero there was one of those in Hope's Peak Academy... A Monokuma maid café to be precise.
- Ishimaru has brass balls "forged in the line of duty as hall monitor," which is his title in the Something Awful Let's Play.
- The Nicknamer: Monokuma has a penchant for calling the students by certain nicknames, such as Hoodie (Naegi), Goatee/Pincushion (Leon), and Freckles (Junko). The rest of the students' nicknames (aside from Maizono and Fukawa) can be found here.
- Genocider Syo has shades of this too, such as calling Naegi "Nagles" and "Nigel".
- No Indoor Voice: Give a gold star to our resident Super Duper High School Hardass Kiyotaka Ishimaru. Both this trope and No Social Skills are lampshaded in the character introduction video. Turns up again in the extra revealing his browsing history, where he capslocks all his Google searches, including HOW DO I MAKE FRIENDS.
- Nobody Calls Me Chicken: Turns out to be the reason why Kuwata killed Maizono: she called him a "Weenie". NOBODY CALLS HIM A WEENIE!!!
- Noodle Incident: According to Faulerro, though it didn't come up in the episode Oowada still caused his older brother's death... with yiffing.
- Not Helping Your Case: Hagakure was the only one to show open interest in the stacks of money. Later, during the third trial, Monokuma considers making the next motive popsicles and Hagakure promptly claims he'd kill for one.
- Obviously Evil: Celestia Ludenberg is made an exaggeration of this trope, not only having the title "Super Duper High School Hellspawn", but her dialogue is occasionally interjected with her deep Satanic voice of 'monologue'.
- Oh My Gods!: When he was given the penalties, Hagakure screamed out various names of deities, including Buddha, Vishnu, and Odin.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot:Naegi: "I can't believe we just lost all the cute girls."Kirigiri: "What was that?"
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Episode 5 features Monokuma sounding very much like the Trigger Happy Havoc translation's Monokuma, but lampshaded and Monokuma switches to his own voice again, claiming that "the voicechip was on the fritz".
- Episode 5, Celestia slips into a rather southern accent for one sentence. It's lampshaded.
- She does it again in Episode 6, as well as a British accent which Syo accuses her of ripping off.
- Painting the Medium: When Asahina interrupts Leon's introduction, she headbutts his Super Duper High School subtitle out of the way.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: Also known as Super Duper High School Shut-In, Touko Fukawa runs a Social Justice blog and is convinced Naegi is the killer in the first trial because he's "cis white male scum," despite being Japanese.Chihiro: ... yeah, men sure are terrible, huh?
- Faulerro sure does like poking fun at this, from intentionally dancing around the issue of Chihiro's gender to avoid the wrath of Tumblr, to Yamada's motive for killing Ishimaru being a reference to a certain online movement.
- The Totes Sinister Motive DVD leaves Naegi both horrified and aroused—"'horroused,' you might say."
- In the fifth episode, Ishimaru starts calling himself "Kiyondo Ishida."
- Precision F-StrikeKirigiri: I don't believe somebody who screams like such a bitch would ever be able to commit murder. In fact, it is startlingly obvious who the real culprit is. Let's show those dense motherfuckers some logic, shall we?
Oowada: FUCK YOU, TEDDY! *throws the Monokuma bomb away*
- And earlier...
Kirigiri: (typing) Cut that weeb shit out, please.
- Raging Stiffie: Naegi gets one when he realizes Maizono must be in the shower. It doesn't last very long."Down boy, this is serious."
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: After Maizono is murdered, during the trial Fukawa angrily remarks that only a male would be capable of something as terrible as murder, and obviously her reasons are wrong because she hates "cis white male scum". The culprit does turn out to be male, though.
Kirigiri: Wait, seriously?Naegi: What, you didn't work that part out? I thought it was pretty obvious.Kirigiri: I saw through literally everything else, because that made sense.
- In episode 6, Naegi almost instantly solves the mystery, leaving Kirigiri dumbfounded.
- Rousing Speech: Naegi attempts one after the death of Enoshima. But it was abruptly ended and the effects were reversed when Hagakure revealed that Maizono died in Naegi's room.
- Running Gag:
- Aside from the Catch Phrases in the first episode, Leon kept getting interrupted. At one point, Asahina yelled "DONUTS!" simply because she could.
- Episode 2 has Oowada at the breakfast meeting claiming repeatedly "I bet s/he's fine" in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary.
- Episode 3 had "penalties" issued to Hagakure by Monokuma, even when Oowada is threatened with one, the penalty still goes for Hagakure.
- Episode 4 continues this gag to a degree, despite being post-trial, Genocider Syo strikes Hagakure's "Third eye"
- Monokuma commenting on students' nice butts.
- Reminding everyone that they're Japanese, such as when Ishimaru is shocked that nearly everyone missed "11037" or when Monokuma tries to bribe them with dollars.
- The Scapegoat: From the start of the first trial, most of the class is ready to convict Naegi. After Kirigiri finally pounds it into their heads that it wasn't him, they're left at a loss.Ishimaru: Classmates, let us discuss all possibilities fairly!Leon: What? Nah, dude, let's all gang up on Naegi![After Kirigiri's rapid-fire rebuttal]Togami: This is all well and good, but now we have nobody to victimize.
- Screaming at Squick: In one of Faulerro's extras, Ishimaru retains his usual volume when he witnesses fornication in a school environment.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: After Naegi asked Monokuma for a title and complained about the first two, 'Good Luck' and 'Average Joe', he asked for one that fits him. The Title Monokuma stuck him with: Super Duper High School Screams-Like-A-Bitch.
- When he saw Maizono lying dead in the bathroom, boy, did he scream like a bitch or what?
- See You in Hell: A strangely affable example.Celestia: If you're ever in hell, hit me up. I'll show you a good time.Kirigiri: I have no intention of going there.Celestia: Oh, I hardly think you have a choice in the matter.Kirigiri: What?
- Sherlock Scan: Exaggerated. Kirigiri makes some ludicrous leaps of logic in this fashion that end up being correct.Kirigiri: If I had to guess, I'd say you are an avid fan of niche pornography.Naegi: WHAT!?Kirigiri: Ah, my suspicions are confirmed. Most interesting: will take note of this for future reference.Naegi: Okay, I'm hitting the emergency exit to this conversation now, bye.
Monokuma: Ya know, friend against friend, brother against brother, that guy...Yamada: Video games!Monokuma: Against... I don't know, the emotionless broad over there.Kirigiri: You don't wash your hands after urinating, do you?Monokuma: No, Ma'am!Kirigiri: My suspicions are again confirmed.
- And later on...
- Shipper on Deck: After Naegi tells Celes and Togami to Get a Room!, Asahina announces she ships it.Fukawa: CAN YOU NOT?!
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Oowada kills Fujisaki out of fear of being exposed as a furry. Once the others find out he did it, Monokuma makes a point of revealing why.Monokuma: Your secret of being a furry? Or the fact that you see yourself as a rough-and-tough tiger dude? Yep, it would've been a disaster if everybody knew about that, huh?
Monokuma: Hey, welcome to "who's Maizono's killer?"; the trial where everybody's a defendant, and your feelings don't matter!
- Monokuma opens the first trial with a twist on the Whose Line Is It Anyway? intro:
- According to Faulerro, his voice for Hinata is based on comedian John Mulaney, due to watching some memetic sprite videos.
- There have been multiple shout-outs to Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, such as Hagakure shouting "Objection!" in the first classroom trial and the music playing during Kirigiri's explanation of where Chihiro's murder took place.
- Naegi refers to Kirigiri's explanation in Episode 4 as Kirigiri Explains It All.
- Yamada's real death is accompanied with the death jingle of Super Mario Bros.
- Yamada, upon seeing the picture of him being dragged away: "It's just like one of my Japanese animes!"
- Skewed Priorities:
- Judging from his Motive Rant, Leon is more upset that Maizono turned him down (and called him a weenie) than that she tried to kill him.
- When it starts to look like Togami killed Fujisaki, Celes is mainly disappointed that his frame job of Genocider Syo was so sloppy.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Kirigiri skillfully analyzes the situation whilst calling everyone around her bitches among other crude insults.
- Surfer Dude: Downplayed. Kuwata uses quite a bit of Surfer Dude slangs (like "Yo, Mono-dude!" and using "Dude" quite a bit), but not to the extreme. Plus he's a baseball star, not a surfer.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Chihiro Fujisaki is the "Super Duper High School Totally-A-Chick." Possibly subverted; Greg refuses to commit to calling Chihiro by either gender in order to avoid the wrath of Tumblr.
- Sweet on Polly Oliver: Gender-inverted. When it comes to Chihiro, Naegi would totally hit that... but see above.
- Take That:
- Monokuma explains the premise:
- Hinata is sure his own game's anime will be in no way a condensed rush job like the other one.
- At the beginning of the fifth episode, Monokuma briefly uses a voice similar to the Trigger Happy Havoc dub, much to the disgust of the students.
- He uses it again at the end of the sixth episode during Celes' execution specifically to piss her off.
- Celes drives Yamada into a murderous frenzy by claiming Ishimaru supports women's rights in video games.
- It's ambiguous whether it's a genuine Take That or just a topical joke. With Faulero, it could be either.
- Take That, Audience!: Hinata points out that those who know him from his game did so from various Let's Plays of it, since he's fairly certain they don't know Japanese.
- Tempting Fate: Hagakure. Lampshaded. Those who have watched the anime or played the game would know that it won't stick, although amusingly enough, Hagakure was the first victim in the game's demo, instead of Maizono.Hagakure: Wait, why do we have to do the work? I mean, can't you just snuff out the least interesting people yourself?Togami: You're just asking for death, aren't you?
- Testosterone Poisoning: Alter Ego's simulation of Oowada.Real men don't feel! They punch! They dominate! They devour!
- Third-Person Person: Sayaka Maizono-hime, sugoi idol and totally kawaii princessu.
- Title-Only Opening: And it doesn't last very long, either.
- Too Dumb to Live: Lampshaded.Kirigiri: It adds up perfectly. Sayaka Maizono chose the most vulnerable person she could as a target for murder: a professional athlete who was several times stronger than her.Leon: Dude! What total BS! That logic is hella whack!
- Leon isn't much better, as Naegi points out that he didn't notice Sayaka writing his name in her own blood, or that a piece of his shirt fell out of the incinerator.
- Took a Level in Badass: It's subtle, but Naegi starts standing up to the others almost immediately after Maizono dies. When it comes time to prove Kuwata killed her, he gets noticeably more confident, as well as angrier and snarkier.
- Plus, even when Naegi reluctantly agreed to be Togami's assistant for the investigation of Chihiro's murder, he snarks the hell out of him and casually tells him to shut up during the trail when Togami tries to deny visiting murder mystery porn sites.
- In the third trial, he manages to figure everything out without Kirigiri's help, even the fact that Celes AKA Thebumphor, is an actual demon. Not even Kirigiri figured out that last one. He also manages to give a pretty awesome speech about hope.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Asahina has quite an obsession with donuts, so much that it's rumored that she literally can't live without them. Her title isn't "Super Duper High School Donut Nut" for nothing.Asahina: Hiii! I'm Aoi Asahina! I like sports, and donuts, and... that's it!Asahina: Like a donut?!
Bitch, what did you say about donuts?
- And she'd only say about things that sounds like or might be similar with donuts, like 'doorknobs' or when Togami just said 'done it'...
- Unholy Matrimony: Byakuya and Celestia seem to be shaping up to become this, if their dialogue between one another and their distinct pleasure at watching the others' in pain, as well as their executions, is anything to go off of. Even Naegi lampshades it.You guys keep agreeing about horrifying things and relishing everybody else's misery! ... Seriously, when's the wedding?
- Episode 6 sinks it, when Celestia shows her dislike towards 'Catch Phrase-spewing machines', which includes Togami and his 'Esteemed X of Byakuya Togami' stuffs.
- Valley Girl: Junko, being a Super Duper High School Airhead, talks like this.
- Villainous Breakdown: Leon, naturally.Celes: I think he's broken.Naegi: Yeah this yelling is really convincing us, keep it up man!
- Voice of the Legion: Celes, combined with the Compelling Voice example above.
- Your Answer to Everything: After assuring the students that hitting the iron walls a bunch will solve their problems, Mondo Oowada (His title's Super Duper High School Needless Violence, by the way) preemptively declared this trope applied on him. Plus, Leon agrees with him.Oowada: I'm sure if I hit 'em a bunch it'll solve our problems and yes, that is my answer to everything!Leon: I was gonna say!
Naegi: He then disposed of the evidence the only way he knew how: throwing a round object at something.
- Turns up again during the first trial. Naturally, Leon is involved.
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: Kirigiri is not happy to be declared the one person Celes respects.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Leon's reaction, word for word, to seeing the baseball machine in his execution.