open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Everywhere in the Dragon Ball series.
- Naruto has Takigakure ("Village Hidden in a Waterfall") from an OVA which contains Bright Greens, Yellows, Cyans and Blues.
- In Shippuden there is Kumogakure ("Village Hidden in the Clouds") which contains Browns, Cyans, Greens, Yellows and Blues.
- The entire world in One Piece total.
- Everywhere in K. In fact, this is what got most of its future fans to watch it in the first place.
- Everything in Rolling Girls has the appearance of a giant pastel-colored painting.
- The SoulTaker has nearly every scene filled with bright & contrasting colors, sometimes combined with Chiaroscuro.
- Star Wars: The Phantom Menace has Naboo
- TRON falls under this inside the computer.
- TRON: Legacy is the same thing.
- Speed Racer is quite possibly the most colorful film ever made.
- Joe Versus the Volcano becomes this as soon as Joe takes control of his life.
- Pandora is a Rainbow world in Avatar, especially at night.
- Everywhere with coral in Finding Nemo.
- Yellow Submarine has this mixed with Acid-Trip Dimension
- The Titular Game in Spy Kids 3D: Game Over.
- Planet Drool from The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl.
- Oz from The Wizard of Oz.
- Sugar Rush from Wreck-It Ralph
- Pretty much anything Guillermo del Toro is creatively involved with - Hellboy and Pacific Rim being the two strongest examples.
- The dance academy in Suspiria.
- The Land of the Remembered from The Book of Life.
- Big Hero 6 has San Fansokyo and the Portal dimension
- Moominvalley and the Riviera in Moomins on the Riviera.
Live Action Television
- Polk Middle School from Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide.
- iCarly has the iCarly Studio, and in later Season Carly's Room.
- Hollywood Arts from Victorious.
- Dan Schneider must love this trope by adding it, to at least one area in everyone of his shows, but the most colorful is PCA from Zoey101.
- Suite Life On Deck has the S.S. Tipton.
- Hannah Montana's home in Season 4.
- Shake It Up has anywhere indoors.
- Everywhere in Wizards of Waverly Place.
- Kinkow in Pair of Kings
- Disney Channel and Disney XD also love this trope so much it appears in all their shows at least once.
- In Paranoia, the various areas of Alpha Complex are color-coded to match the minimum security clearance needed to be there legally. These start at Infrared (black), then run through the entire rainbow in ascending order (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet), before ending with the highest clearance, Ultraviolet, which is represented with white. The color-coding can be as simple as a meter-wide stripe along the walls, but often, the entire area is painted in the relevant color.
- In Twice Charmed, the Fairy Godmother's magic turns the black and white ball into a colorful one.
- Alice: Madness Returns, specifically, the first chapter where Alice enters the Vale of Tears.
- Hover Revolt Of Gamers has a city that is teeming with vivid colors and beautiful scenery.
- Kingdom Hearts has many worlds that fall under this trope:
- Space Paranoids (TRON) from Kingdom Hearts II is currently the most colorful.
- Traverse Town is full of various colors of neon, especially in the Second and Third District. The new districts added in Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, which are full of colorful icicle lights, are even flashier.
- Monstro (Pinocchio)'s insides are a garish lavender with green and red spots everywhere.
- Atlantica (The Little Mermaid) is a bright turquoise and is populated by loudly colored sea life.
- Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden is full of indigo, green, and gold.
- End of the World from Kingdom Hearts I is a deep purple with neon accents and contributions of bright color from previous levels.
- Twilight Town is, as its name suggests, constantly dyed red by sunset; the architecture itself contributes teal accents.
- The exterior of Castle Oblivion is bronze and teal, starkly contrasting the White Void Rooms that populate its interior.
- Destiny Island is possibly justified, being a tropical island paradise.
- Land of Departure from Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. Being the past version of Castle Oblivion, their colors are fairly similar.
- Disney Town is also quite multicolored.
- Mirage Arena is similar to Space Paranoids in this regard.
- Final Fantasy IV has the underworld with Amber Lava, Red in the areas where the earth and lava meet,Black in the earth, Dark Red rocks and Caves and Dark Purple cave walls. And don't even get me started about Sylph Cave in comparison to Passage of Eidolons and Feymarch.
- Final Fantasy V has the last floor of the rift which has Bright Blue Crystals, Navy Rocks, Azure Glyphs and Brown wooded trees with Teal leaves.
- Final Fantasy VII has the Gold Saucer is practically a Rainbow Amusment Park.
- The Northern Crater is also colorful.
- Terra from Final Fantasy IX
- Spira from Final Fantasy X
- Cocoon from Final Fantasy XIII
- Super Mario Bros.: The Mushroom Kingdom in many games, and also:
- The seven worlds of Super Mario Galaxy 2:
- World 1: The blue-colored Mushroom Planet
- World 2: A solar system composing of an orange sun and brown planets
- World 3: A green nebula
- World 4: A dark blue galaxy
- World 5: Several pink and purple galaxies
- World 6: A red and yellow black hole
- World S: A multicolored planet
- Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels has all of World 9 with very trippy colors. Sadly, the colorful landscape was removed in the Super Mario All Stars version and replaced with standard colors.
- The seven worlds of Super Mario Galaxy 2:
- If you thought the TRON movies are bad? Tron 2.0 is worse. Bright colors everywhere, landscapes of purple and blue, a corrupted server with a Sickly Green Glow. The Internet looks like Vegas and Coruscant.
- Eversion (HD especially) has World 1, World 2, World 5, World 6, World 7 and World 8. Heck the games worlds as a whole counts as this trope.
- Everywhere in Sonic Colors
- The land of Mania in the DLC Shivering Isles from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is rather brightly coloured, particularly the sky.
- The entire island of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon has neon highlights, along with every cyber-animal and mook.
- Edgar Teglee's mind in Psychonauts looks like a Mexican themed blacklight painting.
- Trine consists of series of brightly multi-colored worlds, wildlife, plants and terrain.
- Ghost Zone from Danny Phantom
- Fairy World from Fairly OddParents
- Jammbo from Jelly Jamm
- Danville from Phineas and Ferb
- Zeenu from Planet Sheen
- Bikini Bottom from Spongebob Squarepants
- The Juju Realm from Tak and the Power of Juju
- Ooo from Adventure Time
- In Caillou's world, almost everything manmade has the colors red, blue, green, and yellow, right down to the trimmings and furniture in all the houses.
- The interior of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory is commonly depicted as this in adaptations.
- The Fly Geyser in Fly Ranch, Washoe Country, Nevada contains Red, Yellow and Green in ascending order.
- Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls is practically a Rainbow of colors.
- There are so many colorful places that you could say over 50% of the world is at one time or another, but most of Japan takes it to a whole new level.
- The Burning Man festival becomes an intensely psychedelic version of this at night.
- Any live concert by Coldplay.
- The Solar System is full of colorful worlds:
- Mercury is mostly dark gray.
- Venus is surrounded by thick, white clouds, which conceal a dark orange and yellow surface underneath.
- Our Earth is surrounded by wispy white clouds covering a surface of blue oceans and green, yellow, and brown continents.
- The Moon is light gray with dark gray maria.
- Mars is reddish-brown with white polar ice caps.
- Phobos and Deimos are both gray with pale pink splotches.
- Most asteroids are mostly shades of tan and gray.
- Dwarf planet Ceres is a pale peach color with gray splotches.
- Jupiter is surrounded by orange, gray, and white bands, with a large red storm on its southern hemisphere.
- Its five largest moons are also colorful: Amalthea is a bright red, Io is orange, yellow, and green, Europa is tan and white, Ganymede is purplish-gray, and Callisto is sepia-toned. All of its smaller moons are mostly gray.
- Saturn is surrounded by tan, blue, and gray bands, with shimmering white rings going around it.
- Its largest moon Titan is surrounded by thick yellow clouds and a dark blue haze, which covers its orange and brown surface. Its smaller moons are mostly grayish (Pan, Atlas, Prometheus, Epimetheus, Telesto, Calypso, and Dione being lighter gray, Pandora, Janus, Mimas, Tethys, Helene, and Phoebe being darker gray), but Enceladus is white, Rhea is steel-blue, Hyperion is tan, and Iapetus is dark gray on one side and light gray on the other.
- Uranus is predominantly a pale blue-green color, with slightly yellowish poles.
- Its moons are also varying shades of gray (Puck and Titania being a lighter gray, and Umbriel being a darker gray) and brown (Ariel is light brown, Oberon is dark brown), but Miranda is almost pinkish.
- Neptune is almost completely blue in color, with white clouds, and a darker blue storm also on its southern hemisphere.
- Its largest moon Triton is mostly light blue and purple in color, but its other moons, such as Larissa, Proteus, and Nereid, are mostly grayish.
- Most comets are grayish, with white dust tails and blue gas tails.
- Most Kuiper Belt objects are predominantly dark blues and grays.
- Dwarf planet Pluto is mostly gray with bright orange splotches, while its largest moon Charon is a bluish-gray color.
- Other dwarf planets in the Kuiper Belt are also in distinguishable colors: Haumea is a pale blue with red splotches, Makemake is mostly pinkish-brown, and Eris is almost white in color.
- Sedna, the furthest object in our Solar System is mainly dark red.
- Most planets outside our Solar System will probably have a greater range in colors: Desert planets are mostly yellow, ocean planets are mostly blue, jungle planets are mostly green, ice planets are mostly white, poison planets are mostly purple, volcanic planets are mostly bright red, rock planets are mostly gray, gas giant planets are mostly multicolored, etc.
- Depending on which chemical dominates the most, most nebulae are also brightly-colored. This is also true with most galaxies. The Milky Way is mostly sky blue with a pale yellow center, the LMC and SMC are bluish-gray, the Andromeda Galaxy is dark blue with a purple center, the Triangulum Galaxy is aqua green with an orange center, while all the other galaxies are either colored lavender with a pink center or maroon with a yellow center.