Animal Chick Magnet
This trope is about the fact that women seem to be naturally fond of animals, and tend to show more interest in a man who has one or more. Compare Pick Up Babes With Babes, Cuteness Proximity.
- An ad for... something ... oh yeah, Mike's Hard Lemonade, has some men running a beagle puppy rental booth for this purpose.
- This kind of thing happens often enough in Pokémon.
- The Swedish movie Hundtricket (The Dog Trick) has this as its main premise.
- How I Met Your Mother: Barney harnesses the power of a ridiculously cute teacup pig to get women into his apartment.
- Road Rules season 7 "Latin America": Abe Ingersoll used Menudo, the group's pet Chihuahua, to meet girls.
- Will and Grace, Jack used Will's dog to pick up guys.
- One episode of Top Gear had Hammond doing an experiment regarding which was a better "girl magnet", a flashy sports car or a retriever puppy (named Killer). The puppy won by a mile. All who approached fell under the spell of the Cuteness Proximity and didn't even notice the car.
- After noticing that the women around him all liked birds, Jon of Garfield slammed an ice cream cone into Garfield's face to look like a beak, and asked a passerby if she wanted to pet his parrot. She asked if it talked, and the strip ended with Garfield thinking "The stories I could tell, lady."
- There's another early comic where Jon takes Garfield on a walk through the park, hoping to invoke this trope. After Garfield half-strangles one lady with his leash and traumatizes another's dog, Jon decides "back to the drawing board".
- While on a date◊, Jon reveals to Liz that he keeps a picture of Garfield as a kitten in his wallet, and Liz becomes enamored enough with Jon to cover his face in s. This is largely justified, since Liz works as veterinarian.
- A Far Side comic had a man test this theory, by taking a pet alligator for a walk in the park. It ended up eating another woman's poodle.
- According to party banter in Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening, the tabby kitten Ser Pounce-A-Lot serves as this for Anders.
Oghren: Women are drawn to you when you play with that cat.Anders: Like moths to a flame. Women like it when men show affection for small, fuzzy, defenseless beings. Like you.
- In Urban Underbrush, Blair rejects the notion of letting the rabbits get some girls on the grounds it attracts a poor quality.
- Johnny Bravo tries this by buying an emu. Goes about as well as expected.
- In an episode of American Dad!, Steve wants to get a dog for this purpose. His dad brings him home an old, weak, dying, 20-year old dog. Steve reluctantly takes it, and gets mocked by some passing girls. However, he sees this as a positive since a girl "noticed him".
- Gender-flipped in the Phineas and Ferb episode "Mispercieved Monotreme", where Candace appropriates her brothers' pet platypus after her crush Jeremy mentions that "you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat animals" and invites her to his charity pet-wash.
- Teen Titans: Beast Boy tried a form of this when he sees two girls giving attention to a cute dog and turns into a dog hoping for the same treatment. However, since his dog form is green and smells like old pizza, he didn't get the intended response.
- Actor Michael Kenneth Williams has a mini pinscher named Brooklyn, who he once identified in an interview as "a lady-magnet".