After the destruction of the Black Soulstone, the defeat of the Prime Evil, and the fall of Malthael, Angel of Death, countless lives were lost and the people of Sanctuary struggled to rebuild through the darkest of days. Years have passed and, as some semblance of normal life returns, a threat as old as the land itself begins to stir and a legendary name resurfaces.
Diablo IV is the newest entry in the Diablo series, revealed at BlizzCon 2019 with a PC release date still to be determined. Four classes have been announced: The Barbarian, returning from II and III, the Sorcerer/Sorceress returning from I and II, the Druid, returning after being absent from III and the Rogue from I.
This game provides examples of:
- Blood Magic: In the cinematic announcement trailer, the seal to the door to Lilith's summoning chamber is activated by the injured priest and the two normal treasure hunters giving blood from their hands, and the gate that Lilith emerges from is a membrane formed out of the blood from their exsanguinated bodies.
- Corrupt Church: In the Rogue announcement trailer, a priest hires the rogue to kill a number of targets and bring back their ears as proof. He claims they were a threat to his flock, but she doesn't seem impressed. Considering the cupboard full of severed ears he keeps, she might have a point.
- Death by Materialism: In the cinematic announcement trailer, even after having to travel to an abandoned town, enter a massive catacomb, be chased by a horde of ghouls, and use a blood sacrifice to get through the door, the treasure hunters are still more concerned with coin than getting the fuck out.
- Dies Wide Open: In the cinematic announcement trailer, the final shot of the priest is of his bloodless corpse suspended upside down, his face still frozen in a wide-eyed stare of mingled wonder and horror at the emergence of Lilith.
- Human Sacrifice: In the cinematic announcement trailer, it takes the sacrifice of three humans to bring Lilith back to Sanctuary. Two go unwillingly, but the priest, already suffering from a gut wound, is broken enough to complete the ritual of his own volition.
- No Honor Among Thieves: In the cinematic announcement trailer, the tomb raiders leave one of their number behind without a second thought, and then act like he willingly sacrificed himself for them.
- Survival Mantra: In the cinematic announcement trailer, as the summoner's magic breaks the bodies of the tomb robbers and suspends them against the pillars, the terrified priest frantically prays "Eternal light protects me, eternal light protects me, eternal light protects me...". To his horror, the summoner simply says "There is no light here."