Then dark grow deeds and darker hearts, for lost to all are holy arts.
A vagrant comes amidst the gloom, to seal the gaping maw of doom"
So the bumbling protagonist, the wandering merchant, or the neighbor from down the street walks into a herbal shop, gets met by some strange person, or simply has a dream with a lot of flashy lighting effects. Next thing they know, they've been declared destroyers of worlds, rulers of fates, or simply the best goddamned kitten-saver in the entirety of the universe.
There is a considerable overlap with The Chosen One, but chosen ones are not always told what they were chosen for, and prophecies don't always refer to a particular person.
For the movie, see Film.The Prophecy.
- The 5,111th Prophecy of Grendel in Scrapped Princess foretells that the eponymous heroine will destroy the world, setting up the conflict between her select few guardians and the rest of it.
- In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, Carim Gracia's rare prophetic skill allows her to foresee the Big Bad's plans, which would have otherwise caught the Bureau completely unaware. Thanks to her, however, they are able to prepare for the crisis just in time.
- In Zettai Karen Children, a powerful ESPer dolphin prophecies that there will be a global war between ESPers and Muggles where two of the protagonists, notwithstanding the love that they will feel for each other, will find themselves on opposite sides and one of them will kill the other. Much of the series deals with how to avoid this prophecy from being fulfilled. To make things more ominous, said dolphin's predictions have never been wrong, though he hopes Minamoto will be able to prove this one wrong.
- Words Worth : The inscription on the eponymous monolith forms the crux of the plot. "Only one of Light and Shadow may read the words inscribed here and understand their meaning. Thus, the two worlds will be made complete."
- Gotoh's prophecy is a key plot point in The Castle of Cagliostro, and is inscribed on Clarisse's ring: "Light will rejoin shadow and live again."
- In Berserk, Nosferatu Zodd was about to kill Griffith when he saw the Crimson Behelit. Realizing what it meant, he spared Griffith. As he left, he warned the Hawks with a prophecy: that the moment Griffith's dream came crashing down, an inescapable death would find them. The prophecy comes true for all but two of the Hawks trapped in the Eclipse: Guts and Casca. The dark forces governing fate work hard to correct this "error". When Zodd and Guts meet again, Zodd congratulates Guts on subverting his prediction.
- It is referred to as a "legend" in Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, however it is treated much the same. On Queen Earth there is a legend that states a ten year old girl named "Nurse Angel" will protect the universe in times of crisis. Ririka is a ten year old human girl who becomes Nurse Angel to protect the universe. She is the reincarnation of the original Nurse Angel.
- In Lumberjanes, the prophecy, delivered by defeated three-eyed foxes, is "Beware the kitten holy." Its meaning remains to be seen.
- The Transformers: Dark Cybertron: In the second chapter, Scoop relates to Starscream a prophecy about a supposed "false prophet", with the implication that it's talking about Shockwave. Much later on, in The Transformers, Optimus has a vision with a longer, even more ominous version of the prophecy.
A sunrise dark shall cast pall upon the empire.And time will rust.And he shall stand alone while not alone.And adorned the titan will be in black metal.And the stars shall scream.And the symbol of the uncreator shall be clear.And his gaze shall unravel the legacy of Primus.Thus shall the adversary rise.A black star. Unstopped and unstoppable.
- The prophecy that Orion would kill his father Darkseid is the driving force behind Orion's self titled book. He starts seeking out Darkseid after his mother spreads the false information that Orion isn't actually Darkseid's son in a plot to make Orion move against his father so that she can set up Orion as the new ruler of Apocalypse.
- Monstress: There's a prophecy that a descendent of the Shaman-Empress will inherit her power during a war worse than any other, and serve as the deciding factor in that war's outcome. Everyone is convinced that the series' central protagonist, Maika, is the person in question.
- Child of the Storm, being primarily a Harry Potter and Marvel Cinematic Universe crossover, naturally features the former series' canon prophecy regarding Harry and Voldemort's fated conflict with each other. And in the first book's penultimate scene, Trelawney has another prophecy that seems to plot out what's to come for the rest of the series — Harry gathering and uniting various heroes and facing off against various villains, all leading up to the Final Battle with Thanos.
- In the Jackie Chan Adventures/W.I.T.C.H. crossover fic Kage, it's eventually revealed that long ago, the first Oracle, N'ghala, foretold the coming of a being matching the description of Jade (or, possibly, the Queen of the Shadowkhan), who will cover all the Known Worlds in darkness. Later on, Yua shares with Ari another prophecy, possibly related to the first, foretelling the coming of a being who will bring about the downfall of Kandrakar:
- The Last Son has this as its major overarching plot. The mutant Blind Seer Irene Adler experiences a vision when Superman arrives on Earth. The prophecy refers to Superman as the "Child of the Star" that is destined to "unite mutankind" and "drive back the Dark".
- Princess Trixie Sparkle: Starswirl had a prophecy where he would take a pony as his heir to become the new ruler of Equestria. He chose an Earth pony named Astelle, but after being made an alicorn Astelle ran off. It turns out that Starswirl misread the prophecy. Astelle wasn't the ruler—her younger sister Celestia was.
- There is one in Young Justice: Darkness Falls involving Beast Boy and Raven: "One shall become what they were born to be. The other shall become what they were raised to be."
- In Hellsister Trilogy, Orion apparently fullfills the prophecy that he would kill Darkseid... except that he was supposed to kill him under different circumstances. This leads Orion to suspect his father somehow survived before the main character reveals Darkseid is indeed still alive in the future.
- The prophecy of "the Return of Light and Shadow" in Pokémon Master states that the return of the Forbidden elements would "come with a hailstorm of death such that no one had ever seen before".
- Balto II: Wolf Quest was driven by the prophecy that the wolf pack would be led by "one who is wolf and does not know". It turns out to be Balto's wolf-dog daughter.
- The prophecy in The Princess and the Pea states that the kingdom will fall to ruin after the death of the 18th King (which is Heath). To save the kingdom, the prophecy also says "To reveal the heart of true nobility, place the pea twenty mattresses deep. The Princess true is love and sensitivity, upon such she can never sleep."
- A variant in the Planet of the Apes series. In Escape and Conquest, the humans are worried about the knowledge that apes would rise up and rule the world. In Battle, Caesar is worried he won't be able to stop the foretold destruction of Earth in his parents' time in the future.
- The prophecy of Saint Erasti (an apocalyptic painting) drove most of the plot in the first duology of the Arcia Chronicles. The more traditional (oral) prophecy of "Saint" Eric, delivered at the end of the second book, drives many plotlines in the following installments.
- The Black Witch Chronicles: The prophecy, seen by seers of every species, is that the next Black Witch and a powerful male Icaral will rise and fight each other, and determine the fate of the world. By the end of the second book, it turns out that protagonist Elloren and her Love Interest Yvan are the people mentioned in the prophecy, with the true Big Bad someone else. They are separated because they need training, and because the other members of La Résistance are concerned about how things will play out.
- Doctrine of Labyrinths: Thamuris delivers this in The Virtu:
"Love and betrayal, the gorgon and the wheel. The dead tree will not shelter you, and the dead will not stay dead. Though you do not seek revenge, it will find you all the same."
- Sybill Trelawney's first prophecy more or less drives the entire Myth Arc of the Harry Potter series, as it foretells the death of the Big Bad at the protagonist's hands or vice versa.
- The Last Dragon is about the last elf trying to find the last dragon so they can fulfill an ancient prophecy and save the world.
- The Nine Lives of Chloe King is driven by the prophecy of a chosen one who would unite the Mai prides. Chloe is that chosen one.
- The Great Prophecy in Percy Jackson and the Olympians drives the whole plot, predicting Kronos' fall at the hands of a hero. Percy himself is declared The Chosen One.
- A Song of Ice and Fire has the prophecies concerning 3 very special people: The Stallion Who Mounts The World, The Warrior of Light and The Prince Who Was Promised.
- As a part of their Animal Religion, dogs in Survivors believe in a prophecy known as the "Storm of Dogs". Long ago, all the world's dogs fought over territory in one big war. It is said that another Storm of Dogs will come when a dog upsets the Earth-Dog enough. The first book starts with an earthquake (or a "Big Growl" as dogs call it) occuring. Dogs take it as a sign of the apocalypse and of an upcoming Storm of Dogs.
- The Warrior Cats series is driven by prophecies:
- The first series has Fire alone can save our Clan, referring to the orange-furred main character and his, uh, potential to save his Clan.
- The second series has two main prophecies. The first is Darkness, air, water and sky will come together and shake the forest to its roots. Nothing will be as it is now, nor as it has been before., foretelling the destruction of the forest by humans. The second is Before there is peace, blood will spill blood, and the lake will run red, about a character killing his half-brother, who would have otherwise caused inter-Clan bloodshed.
- The third and fourth series follow the same prophecy - There will be three, kin of your kin, who hold the power of the stars in their paws - about three relatives of the character the prophecy is made to, and the fact that they are each born with a supernatural power.
- Even one of the Expanded Universe books has its own prophecy: Like fire, you will blaze through the forest. But beware! Even the most powerful flames can be destroyed by water.
- Even ignoring the major prophecies, small prophecies appear all the time in the series.
- Wings of Fire unsurprisingly has a prophecy considering it's written by an Erin Hunter (who works on the above-mentioned Warrior Cats). "The Dragonet Prophecy" says that when the current war goes on twenty years, five baby dragons (or "dragonets" as they're called) from the different kingdoms will be hatched who will stop the war. Two of the three dueling queens will die and the third will become queen after realizing her faults.
- The Witchlands has Eridysi's Lament, which (apart from being a popular drinking song) contains a section devoted to the circumstances of the next coming of the Cahr Awen.
- Both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are made of this in many seasons.
- Buffy season one has the prophecy that the Anointed One would rise and the slayer would not know him. He would lead the slayer to the Master and the slayer would die at the hand of the Master. Buffy does, but then gets revived by CPR.
- Angel has the Shanshu prophecy, that the vampire with a soul will become human after his part in the apocalypse-he will either save the world or destroy it. And then a twist comes up, as (completely unanticipated by everyone) there's now two vampires with souls and it's called into question whether Angel is actually The Chosen One after all.
- Sesaon one also has the Prophecies of Aberjan, part of which was the Shanshu prophecy and part of which foretold what happened to Cordelia, when she was cut off from the regular world and her mind opened to all its suffering.
- Season 3 has the birth of Connor, the child sired by the vampire with a soul, who would grow to manhood and kill Sahjhan (a demon villain). There's also the false prophecy "The father will kill the son", a result of Sahjhan using Time Travel to edit all written copies of the prophecy. Angel does sort of kill Connor, but not the way Wesley or anyone else expected. Angel cuts his son's throat to stop him after he goes off the deep end, and then Wolfram and Hart gives him a new life.
- Season 5 had Illyria's prophecied return.
- Volume one of Heroes has a painting of the future depicting Peter blowing up and destroying New York unless he's stopped.
- Merlin has the prophecy about Merlin helping Arthur become the great king who will unite all of Albion. Then there's the dragon's prophecy that the Druid boy Mordred will kill Arthur. And the prophecy that Morgana is now spending all her time trying to prevent happening: that Emrys (Merlin, though she doesn't know it) will be "her destiny and her doom."
- In Christianity, the Old Testament holds a prophecy that God will send a Messiah to save the world. Christians believe that Jesus Christ was the fulfillment of this and that his Heroic Sacrifice allowed God to forgive humanity. The New Testament has another prophecy as well, stating that Jesus will return.
- In Super Paper Mario, the plot is driven by the prophecies told by the prognosticative books possessed by Merlon and Count Bleck. One tells of a man in green who will bring darkness with the Chaos Heart, and the other of a legendary hero who will stop the end of everything with the Pure Hearts. Some time into the game, Merlee tells an additional prophecy that reveals that there will be four heroes destined to save the day.
- In The Legend of Zelda CD-i Games it's stated that "It is written, only Link can defeat Ganon!"
- In El Goonish Shive, there is a prophecy about the coming of an individual who would unify the chimeric shapeshifter outcasts of the world.
- In The Witch's Throne, there's a prophecy where every ten years, during a random month and day, a girl will randomly be chosen to become a Witch and try to destroy the world while four brave heroes will rise up to stop her.