The characters of Noragami.
open/close all folders
Voiced By: Hiroshi Kamiya (Japanese), Jason Liebrecht (English)
The titular stray god and the main protagonist of the series. Yato is a seldom acknowledged god who wishes to raise enough money to build his own shrine, thereby clawing his way into fame and fortune as Japan's most revered.
- Above Good and Evil: What he views gods as, himself included.
- Adorkable: He got this in episode 4, when he thought the mascots in a famous park were real animals.
- Archnemesis Dad: He loathes his father, but can't do anything as his father is most likely his life line
- Badass: He still lives up to his former title as a God of War. Except he isn't actually. He's a God of Calamity
- Beergasm: He always enjoys his booze.
- Berserk Button: DO NOT TOUCH HIYORI.
- Big Eater: Doesn't come by much food very often, but when he does...
- Big Ego, Hidden Depths: Yato is introduced as an arrogant, nameless god with little to no followers who really wants money so he can build himself a shrine. Later on, however, the reason he wants a shrine is painted in a far more sympathetic light when we begin seeing his backstory and it's implied by Yato himself that nobody would ever build a shrine for him, so he wanted to build one himself.
- Bishōnen: He's quite pretty for a penniless stray god.
- Butt Monkey: Yato gets paid almost zero respect from anyone. His own Shinkis just barely tolerate him.
- Character Development: After everything that happened with Ebisu, he cut off all ties with his father and is trying to reform
- Character Tic: His hands get sweaty anytime he fights.
- Color Failure: Happens anytime someone disrespects him. Which is often.
- Cooldown Hug: He gives one to Hiyori in order to stop her transformation into an ayakashi.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: After he starts falling for Hiyori he becomes this, but as a comedic example.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: They're way too pale and bright. The show draws attention to them when it wants to underline just how ancient and inhuman he is. On a bad day, they're outright Glowing Eyes of Doom with Hellish Pupils. You should start running then.
- Cry Cute: He becomes overwhelmed when Hiyori gives him a tiny shrine she made for him in chapter 26.
- Cute and Psycho: As a kid he was. Happens when his "father" is a psycho as well. He grew out of it because of Sakura
- Dark and Troubled Past: He has killed a Shinki in the past, and is infamous among the other gods as having once been ruthless and violent.
- He seems to be the reason why Nora is a stray in the first place.
- His first Shinki was Sakura. And because of his father's manipulations, she turned into a monster and he had to personally kill her.
- Distressed Dude: Played with. Nora and his father kidnap him and have him return to his old ways for a time, but his life isn't in danger and he realizes that if he just does as he's told for a while, he'll earn back his freedom and return to Yukine and company soon enough.
- The Dreaded: He is known as the Magatsuhinogami, the god of evil, calamity and disasters.
- Dual Wielding: After Yukine changes shape into two swords.
- Experienced Protagonist: While he doesn't act like it, Yato has been alive for centuries and has been around the block a couple times having shot a lot of dogs acting as a wetworks man.
- Freak Out: Yato when working for his father with Nora, starts freaking out when he wonders how long it's been. Wondering if Hiyori has forgotten him.
- Goal in Life: He aspires to raise enough money to build his own shrine. His true goal is to never be forgotten.
- God of Evil: Formerly. To be precise, he was a 'god of calamity', an assassin-god tasked with carrying out evil wishes against others (which usually involved killing a whole lot of people). He prefers to distance himself from that for obvious reasons.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: His known Shinkis so far have all been bladed weapons.
- Hellish Pupils: His pupils slowly elongate towards cat-like slits when he's having a Glamour Failure. 'Hellish' fits because that usually means he's really pissed off, and you never want a god mad at you.
- Heroic Vow: Once he accepts a job or responsibility, he sees it through and never backs out. He later promises to stay with Hiyori and make her the happiest girl in the world.
- Hypocrite: Explored. He chastises Yukine for bad behaviour that he cheerfully engages in himself... because if he does it, it won't turn him into an Eldritch Abomination. On the other hand, his reluctance to practice what he preaches means that his pupil is way less interested in heeding his warnings.
- Icy Blue Eyes: One of his most prominent features. His eyes are typically sharp and cool, especially in flashbacks before the events of the series.
- If I Were a Rich Man: Yato frequently fantasizes about life as a grossly wealthy god. He would drive around in a limousine, with countless worshippers and a harem of Shinkis.
- In the Name of the Moon: Anime only."You, who would desecrate this land of the rising sun! With my advent, I, the God Yato, shall lay waste with the Sekki and expel thy vast defilement!"
- It's All About Me: Yato has something of a god-complex and is very self-centered. He expects Yukine to obey his every command and does not pay his opinions any mind. This trait eventually tones down considerably, though Yato still remains rather self-important.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: Yato later becomes worried that Hiyori will always be in danger so long as she remains tied to him, and repeatedly considers cutting their ties and wiping her memory so that she can live a normal life.
- Jerkass Façade: At his base, Yato is a serious and noble god, but he seems most happy when acting like an arrogant, fame-hungry buffoon.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's quite rude, full of himself, and can come off as greedy, but Yato really does want what's best for the people he helps, and cares for his friends.
- A prime example is Chapter 1, when Tomone/Mayu quits. Yato could have easily ignored her, forcing her to either be a Nora or stay with him. Instead he willing freed her despite being defenseless without her, and her being quite rude to him.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He lives his life in a cycle. At times, he'll be in public taking any job he can. But other times, he takes jobs from his Father with Nora. Those jobs usually entail this.
- Yato cutting off Kugaha's hand was very brutal. But Kugaha did spend an entire arc being an unbearable monster.
- Man Child: His childish love of Capypers puts him in this territory. He thinks the mascots are real animals instead of people in costumes.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Afraid that Nora may target her if he doesn't, Yato tells Hiyori to stay away from him and blocks all of her calls... and then proceeds to constantly pester her on Twitter.Hiyori: Does he want me to bother him or not!?
- No Sympathy: For people who give up on life and commit suicide. Yato sees them as weak, and wasting a life a Shinki would have loved to live.
- Parental Substitute: Yato, in some ways, grows into a paternal figure towards Yukine.
- Perpetual Poverty: When you make only 5 yen per job, no matter how big, you're not getting rich anytime soon.
- Pet the Dog: Yato coldly states that people who want to quit and die should do just that, but chooses to save a man from committing suicide so that Yukine wouldn't have to see it.
- Another example is Yukine. When Yukine was still a major jerkass, everyone suggested that Yato disown him. Yato refused out of sympathy from Yukine's memories and the fact if Yukine didn't mature, he would become an Ayakashi.
- Physical God: Something he has to constantly remind people.
- Platonic Life Partners: His relationship with Kofuku.
- Also his relationship with the Stray, they're more or less siblings.
- Poor Communication Kills: Well, causes him a lot of problems. He clams up when it comes to his dad, although he gets a little better by explaining it to Yukine and Hyori. However, it's Bishamon of all people who call him out on it and points out how much grief would have been avoided if he had explained things clearly.
- Razor Wind: He is capable of unleashing this while wielding Yukine.
- Really 700 Years Old: As a god, he has a long lifespan and has been around for centuries despite appearing to be in his late teens to early twenties. Naturally, his wardrobe has changed a lot to match the times, going from a yukata, to denim (with roller skates!), and finally to his current tracksuit.
- Scarf of Asskicking: He wears a white, slightly ratty one. For some reason.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: He'll do anything to get clients. Anything.
- Shoot the Dog: He is sometimes forced to slay innocent spirits after they are possessed by the Ayakashi. He reasons that once a spirit is overcome, destruction is their only salvation.
- Yato's killing of Bishamon's Shinki was also a mercy killing. All of her Shinki except for Kazuma were corrupted beyond saving, so his only option was to kill them or let Bishamon die.
- Yato's killing of Sakura, his first Shinki was this as well.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: What his relationship with Bishamon eventually becomes after she finds out he killed her Shinki to save her life.
- Small Name, Big Ego: He's quite arrogant for a poor, mooching god with next to no worshippers.
- Smug Super: Out of battle, he enjoys boasting about his god-like abilities and is extremely full of himself.
- Stalker with a Crush: Played for laughs, but he becomes this for Hiyori, when she says she wants to stay with him forever.
- The Stoic: He used to be one when Kazuma asked for his help killing all the Shinki of the "ma" clan.
- Terrible Artist: Subverted, actually. Yato is an unexpectedly talented artist.
- Theme Naming: The given names of his Shinki all end with 'ne'. This is most likely in the memory of Sakura, who's real name was Tamanone.
- Tranquil Fury: He becomes enraged during his fight with Rabou, but he does not lose his composure.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Some of his antics may veer him in this direction, especially during the anime OVA.
- Yandere: Shows traits of it towards Hiyori: Picking bras for her, cracking her phone and changing the wallpaper to a picture of him and finally casually threatening to use Sekki on any other boy Hiyori might know (calling it "pest control")
- Yes Virginia: An extra chapter shows that he believes in Santa Claus. As it turns out, Santa does exist, and there's more than just one. The Santa that visits Yato and co. is a 32 year old woman.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Angering Yato too much will have him regress to his former days as a God of Calamity, making him much more fierce and powerful in battle.
Voiced By: Maaya Uchida (Japanese), Bryn Apprill (English)
An ordinary middle school girl who has the unusual ability to see Yato. After nearly dying while saving Yato, Hiyori is left on the border between the human world and the afterlife, with her spirit frequently leaving her body. Hiyori is the daughter of a wealthy family and is a passionate fan of pro-wrestling.
- Achilles' Heel: Hiyori's "tail," which anchors her spirit to the realm of the living. Should it be severed, Hiyori will die. It also causes excruciating pain if it is tugged roughly.
- Action Girl: Thanks to the enhanced strength her spirit form provides her, Hiyori can put up a decent fight against the monstrous spirits.
- Astral Projection: Her spirit form, essentially. She is completely invisible to humans, and is able to phase through objects like a ghost would, but there are also times when she can interact with her physical environment.
- Audience Surrogate: As the ordinary girl being introduced to Yato's magical world, Hiyori is meant to be this.
- Base Breaker: An interesting in-universe example. After Yato took over her body for a day, half of her school's student body loves her and the other half hates her.
- Calling Your Attacks: She likes to announce the names of wrestling moves as she uses them.
- Chekhov's Hobby: Hiyori mentions that she is a huge fan of pro-wrestling, so naturally she knows how to pull off some insane fighting moves.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: She throws herself in front of an oncoming bus to "save" Yato, a complete stranger to her, and insists on helping with every case Yato gets.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A mild example, she was not happy when Yato called Kofuku his "girlfriend". As well as gaining demon eyes when Yato sort of kissed Bishamon.
- Cool Big Sis: Towards Yukine.
- Deus ex Machina: In episode 12, she regains her lost memories of Yato and Yukine by smelling Yato.
- Fangirl: Of pro-wrestling. Her favorite wrestler is Touno and worships him like a god.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Yato and Yukine. At first, she only follows them around so Yato could cure her spirit problem, but over time, she comes to care for both of them like family, and the three risk their lives for each other repeatedly.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears her hair this way when she's not at school.
- Hime Cut: It suits her well since she happens to be the daughter of a wealthy family of doctors.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Passing out at random and constantly being beset upon by monstrous ayakashi is not something Hiyori is terribly fond of.
- Ill Girl: Anytime her spirit leaves her body, it is left asleep. Her spirit also leaves at random times, potentially leaving her collapsed right in public.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: In the anime, Nora takes away her memories of Yato and later her memory continues to fade so she forgets Yukine. She manages to recover them.
- Nice Girl: She's very kind and gentle, immediately trying to befriend Yukine during his initial confusion as Yato's Shinki.
- The Nose Knows: She can track the scents of Gods while in her spirit form.
- Oblivious to Love: She does not seem to notice Yukine's crush on her, and treats him like a younger brother.
- Also seems to be unaware of the "effect" she seems to have on Yato in later chapters.
- Super Strength: Only while in her spirit form. She displays strength and agility similar to Yato's.
- In a Single Bound: Her jumping power is also greatly increased.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Her mother and maternal grandmother possess the ability to sense the presence of beings from the Far Shore. Hiyori inherits this ability, as does her brother but it's more potent — being able to actually see gods and shinki.
- Supporting Protagonist: The story is told through Hiyori's perspective, though the tale is really Yato's.
- Tsundere: Type B towards Yato. She is nice to nearly everyone, but is far more likely to be annoyed with him.
- Unprovoked Pervert Payback: Poor Yato...
- Weirdness Magnet: Ayakashi are naturally drawn to her spirit form, wishing to corrupt her exposed soul.
- Wrestler in All of Us: She likes to mimic the special moves of her wrestling hero, Touno.
Voiced By: Yuuki Kaji (Japanese), Micah Solusod (English)
A young boy spirit who is enlisted as Yato's newest Shinki (Divine Weapon). His weapon form is a hiltless katana with a blade as white as snow.
- Absurd Cutting Power: His blade form is ridiculously sharp; sometimes cutting things that were in the general direction of Yato's swings. This sharpness can only be tempered by experience on the Shinki's part.
- Amnesiac Hero: He can't remember his past life before dying.
- Bad Liar: "I found it..."
- Barrier Warrior: Like all Shinkis, Yukine is capable of putting up a "borderline" barrier that Ayakashi spirits cannot pass through.
- Body Horror: When Yukine sins so much that he begins shifting into a Ayakashi, his back sprouts a mass of demonic eyeballs and he gradually becomes more monstrous-looking.
- Break Up Make Up Scenario: After Yato begins using Nora again, Yukine becomes upset with Yato, but the two eventually make up.
- Brutal Honesty: He tends to say whatever's on his mind, usually to Yato's exasperation.
- Came Back Strong: After Bishamon kills him in his weapon form, he revives and evolves into twin blades due to his loyalty to Yato.
- Character Development: When we first met Yukine, he was a total brat. He regularly stole and was just unpleasant to be around. After his punishment, he reformed. Although still quite mouthy, he cared for Hiyori and Yato. He worked to repay all that he stole. As well as becoming very loyal to Yato, sacrificing himself to save Yato without a second thought
- Character Tic: Despite his name, Yukine gets cold and shivers rather easily.
- Cowardly Lion: He is intimidated by powerful adversaries like Bishamon, but fights to the best of his ability, regardless.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: A non-romantic example, but he is not happy that Yato has a Nora. And constantly compares himself to her.
- Crush Blush: He is attracted to Hiyori and blushes whenever she touches him.
- Deadpan Snarker: He always seems to have a smart remark ready.
- Equippable Ally: He can shift into a sword form.
- Heel Realization: The point of being "punished," and Yukine does realize that his actions have hurt not only him, but Yato and Hiyori as well.
- Human Weapon: He encounters this problem with Yato, who at times treats Yukine as nothing more than a weapon for his use.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: He envies the living, wishing he could do normal things like go to school or play with friends.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Hiyori at one point allowed Yukine to live with her as opposed to sleeping at shrines with Yato. Yukine struggled with the "innocent" part.
- Invisible Jerkass: He abuses being undetectable by humans to steal for his own benefit.
- Meaningful Name: His name means "sound of snow," and his original spirit form resembled a tiny snowflake.
- Mouthy Kid: He doesn't pull his punches when it comes to expressing how pathetic he thinks Yato is.
- Named Weapons: His weapon name is "Sekki."
- Number Two: Since he's Yato's only active Shinki, Yukine is, by default, Yato's Guidepost: his most trusted aide.
- Power Tattoo: After being contracted, Yukine bears the kanji for "snow" on his collarbone.
- Primal Fear: He is terrified of the dark.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: He does not like hurting others, and has stated repeatedly that he does not want to fight Yato's battles.
- Sour Supporter: Yukine initially dislikes the fact that Yato essentially forced him into servitude, though they eventually come to accept one another.
- Sticky Fingers: He developed into an opportunistic thief early on, swiping money from people if given the chance. He later outgrows this.
- Synchronization: As Yato's Shinki, the two are connected on a spiritual level. Also, anytime Yukine performs a sin of any kind, Yato feels a sharp, stabbing sensation which gradually corrupts his soul and will kill him if unaddressed.
- Tears of Remorse: As he confesses to all of his crimes during his "punishment."
- Teens Are Monsters: Deconstructed, as Yukine's spiral down illustrates what it takes for a confused youth to commit heinous acts.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Yukine's animosity with Yato affects how effective he is in combat. The more frustrated Yukine is, the more dull his blade is.
- Took a Level in Badass: He is one of the few Shiki to change shape. The only other one known is Kazuma.
- Took a Level in Kindness: After his punishment, he is much nicer.
- Tragic Keepsake: After Suzuha died, he continued to tend to the Sakura tree that Suzuha used to
- Undying Loyalty: Eventually becomes very devoted to both Yato and Hiyori.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: After becoming friends with another Shinki, he feels this. Scared that one day Hiyori will grow up and forget him.
Gods & Shinki
Tenjin & Mayu
Voiced By: Tōru Ōkawa (Japanese)
The famous God of Academics. He is often sought out, or appears before Hiyori and Yukine when his wisdom is needed.
- Foil: To Yato. Tenjin is essentially everything that Yato wants to be: beloved throughout Japan, with several successful shrines, and living the good life. Unlike Yato, Tenjin is calm and mature, rather than brash and foolhardy. He is well respected and takes care of several Shinkis, whereas Yato can just barely handle Yukine. Tenjin is also a lot less merciful when it comes to handling Shinki that act out of line. Yato, on the other hand, nearly died because he refused to turn his back on Yukine.
- Good Is Not Soft: Although Tenjin is a very kind and honest god, he sets stern rules for himself and his Shinki. One of them being that if a Shinki betrays him, they are not given a second chance and are cast out. He also doesn't offer sympathy to stray Shinki.
- Good Luck Charm: Tenjin himself is one, bringing good fortune to those who pray to him in all things academic related.
- Not So Different: From Yato. He was originally a murderous spirit. The people who feared being killed by him deified him in order to placate him. Eventually he reformed.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: Despite his sage-like disposition, he loves to flaunt his wisdom and impress school girls.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: When he's not wearing his god's clothes, he's dressed as this.
- Theme Naming: The given names of his Shinki all end with 'yu'.
Voiced By: Asami Imai (Japanese), Leah Clark (English)Yato's former Shinki. She currently serves the academic god, Tenjin. Her former name while serving Yato was "Tomone." Her weapon form is a dagger.
- Brutal Honesty: She doesn't sugarcoat her words when describing her former relationship with Yato.
- Cool Big Sis: Towards Yukine, and most young people in general.
- Happily Married: In her former life before dying, although she does not remember it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite her annoyance with Yato, she willing helped him during Yukine's purification.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Her bickering with Yato is perceived as this by Hiyori.
- Line in the Sand: When Daikoku asked for help to save Yato and Yukine, Mayu was the only one of Tenjin's Shinki to step forward.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Demands Yato end his contract with her, unable to stand working with him. This left Yato weaponless until he met Yukine.
Kofuku & Daikoku
Voiced By: Aki Toyosaki (Japanese), Alexis Tipton (English)
The bubbly and energetic, but naturally irresponsible God of Poverty. Though she goes by the name Ebisu, a famous God of Fortune, Kofuku just uses the moniker to conceal her status as a poverty god.
- Bad Powers, Good People: She causes poverty-inducing bad omens wherever she goes, but Kofuku herself is very sweet and bubbly.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Her thought process is rather odd, often disregarding consequences when making decisions.
- Cuddle Bug: Kofuku loves to get touchy-feely, especially with Hiyori.
- Cute Little Fangs: Occasionally visible. A reference to her immaturity.
- First Name Basis: Prefers to be called Kofuku rather than by titles.
- The Gadfly: She enjoys getting reactions out of Hiyori, usually by snuggling her, or even playfully scaring her with ominous tales of Yato's past.
- Genki Girl: She typically behaves in a child-like manner, and is energetic and playful.
- Hot God: She's very attractive and can easily seduce unwitting humans.
- Jeanne d'Archétype: One of her armor-type Shinki gives her a Battle Ballgown that would not look out of place in an illustration of the famous French saint.
- Idiot Hair: She always has one curly strand sticking up.
- The Jinx: As a God of Poverty, Kofuku spreads bad luck onto anyone she meets.
- The Nicknamer: Calls Hiyori, "Hiyorin." And calls Yukine, "Yukki."
- No Sense of Personal Space: Kofuku Glomps Hiyori only seconds after meeting her and likes to get uncomfortably close to people.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Kofuku isn't quite as oblivious as she seems, and is actually capable of being serious when she wants to be.
- OOC Is Serious Business: When Bishamon visits Kofuku, and asks if she knows where to find Yato. Kofuku calmly says, that what happened between Bishamon and Yato is none of her business, but if Bishamon kills Yato, Bishamon better watch her back.
- One Born Every Minute: She easily buys into Yato's lies and often provides him with money, although this may be tied to her role as a God of Poverty.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Her ability to summon hordes of Ayakashi makes her extremely dangerous. The damage summoning gloom can do is enough that she can threaten Bishamon with it.
- Pink Means Feminine: Her outfit is predominantly pink, and Kofuku is fittingly very girly.
- Platonic Life Partners: Her relationship with Yato.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: A classic example, her hair being as sweet and bright and she is.
- Samus is a Girl: Hiyori is surprised by Kofuku's cute appearance, as Ebisu is traditionally depicted as a male in Japanese mythology.
- Subverted in that Kofuku is not really Ebisu, but is merely a nickname she employs to hide her status as a Poverty God.
- Shipper on Deck: A YatoXHiyori fangirl
Voiced By: Daisuke Ono (Japanese), Ian Sinclair (English)
Kofuku's intimidating, but loyal Shinki. His weapon form is a paper fan.
- Bad Powers, Good People: His primary ability is opening up gloom, which causes Ayakashi to begin spawning en masse.
- Cloud Cuckoolanders Minder: Kofuku's. He frequently has to keep her out of trouble, or from causing trouble.
- Combat Hand Fan: His weapon form.
- Cool Shades: He wears black sunglasses while in his "formal" attire.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: A comedic example, he is noticeably annoyed if any male talks to Kofuku. He acts like her husband and even thinks of Yato as an adulterer, due to his "relationship" with Kofuku.
- Enemy Summoner: His fan form is capable of creating gloom that summons swarms of Ayakashi. A dangerous ability in the hands of someone as irresponsible as Kofuku.
- Equippable Ally: He can shift into a paper fan.
- Face of a Thug: He's actually a decent guy when you get to know him, but he can be intimidating when he wants to be.
- Friend to All Children: Daikoku apparently has a soft spot for children, though everyone makes him out to be a pedophile. This fondness is due to Daikoku's desire to be a father, but being unable to produce children as a Shinki.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He might be rough, but is very reasonable, and despite what he says, he really does care about Yato.
- A good example is when Kazuma stays over as Bishamon exiled him, Daikoku threats to hurt him, if Kazuma doesn't ... eat his fill.
- Like Brother and Sister: With Kofuku. Daikoku acting like a protective and responsible older sibling towards his master.
- Meaningful Name: Daikoku means "Great Blackness," a reference to his ability of summoning gloom.
- In later chapters, we find out that he's named after Daikoku, one of the Seven Lucky Gods. This helps in her pretending to be Ebisu, as Ebisu and Daikoku are often paired together.
- Restraining Bolt: He tries to keep Kofuku from running amok and causing poverty.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: The serious and grounded guy to contrast Kofuku's happy-go-lucky disposition.
- Smoking Is Cool: Likes to unwind with a cigarette, and can pull off frightening faces with one in his mouth.
- Undying Loyalty: To Kofuku, of course.
- Willfully Weak: Daikoku doesn't want to be a blessed regalia like Kazuma or Yukine, as Kofuku getting even stronger would probably destroy the country
Bishamon & Kazuma
Voiced By: Miyuki Sawashiro (Japanese), Elizabeth Maxwell (English)
A God of War, among which she is considered the most powerful. She holds a personal vendetta against Yato for killing one of her Shinki in the past.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair is silvery white in the manga, but the anime depicts her as a blonde.
- Badass: Widely considered the Strongest War God and for good reason.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: What she normally wears, when not using any of her Shiki.
- Battle Ballgown: While only seen in the manga, she has a Shinki that acts as powerful armor and a long, fancy skirt.
- The Beastmaster: One of her Shinki, Kuraha, takes the form of a lion.
- In the past she had a giant eagle and tiger, as well.
- The Berserker: In her second fight with Yato, she is so overcome with rage she loses any reason and just attacks him
- BFS: A shinki of hers, Yugiha, is the size of the Buster Sword.
- Boobs of Steel: The strongest war god, and the most endowed.
- Chainmail Bikini: Tsuguha doesn't exactly cover much. Yato lampshades the ridiculousness of wearing what is effectively a bulletproof bikini and jacket.
- Character Development: A major part of Bishamon's character arc is taking responsibility for her actions. She pushes herself into a corner by taking on more Shinki than she can handle, and cannot bring herself to disown them despite the danger. When the 'Ma' clan was wiped out, she blamed Yato, and did not acknowledge her own failing. When she learns of Kugaha's betrayal, Bishamon finally accepts her responsibility. She maturely takes away the names of her Shinki to protect them, exiles Kugaha peacefully, and the Shinki that she couldn't protect are mercy killed, this time by her personally.
- She also gradually re-evaluates her relationship with Yato, eliminating much of the petty vindictiveness which characterized interactions between both of them.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Yato killing her Shinki is what incurred Bishamon's wrath. It's also inverted in that Bishamon became dramatically more generous and took in many more Shinki than she can handle, as if trying to make up for what she lost.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: It just barely covers her, and paves the way for plenty of Panty Shots.
- Determinator: In her second fight with Yato, she is even more corrupted than Yato was when Yukine was being punished, but continued to fight. Even after she is emotionally and physically exhausted, she still finds the strength to euthanize her Shinki after the fight.
- A Father to His Men: She takes very good care of her Shinki and tries not to endanger them in battle.
- Gender Flip: Bishamonten is traditionally depicted as a male in Japanese lore.
- The Gun Slinger: Two of her Shinki transform into guns.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Aside from her grudge against Yato, she is very kind. Fully becomes this when she lets it go.
- Hot God: Oooh yeah, and the manga loves to remind you of it.
- Jerk Ass With A Heart Of Gold: Intimidating and incredibly unpleasant if you're on her shit list, Bishamon is also one of the most honorable characters in the show and willing to learn from her mistakes when called out regarding them. Not to mention the large number of Shinki she's taken in over the years who are devoted to her.
- Jerk Ass Has A Point: When she puts two and two together about Yato's Dad, her anger is less about spite and more about how Yato's horrific case of Poor Communication Kills led to so much grief which could have been avoided.
- Mama Bear: Cares for and is incredibly protective of all of her shinki.
- Even more so after Yato killed off the 'Ma' clan.
- Mercy Kill: She euthanizes her Shinki that were corrupted thanks to Kugaha.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her normal outfit consists of an open coat that exposes her bra, and a mini skirt. She also has a lot of bath scenes in the manga.
- Orphanage of Love: She takes in helpless spirits as her Shinki, even if they have no combat use. She provides for and protects them, even though having many Shinki overtaxes her own soul.
- Poor Communication Kills: The root of her problems. She and her shinkis put on happy faces to prevent the other from worrying, but this prevents any problems from being solved.
- After exiling Kugaha, to avoid this, she starts trading a diary with all of her Shinki to keep in touch.
- Purple Eyes: Fierce and striking. Likely a reference to how Purple Is Powerful.
- Rapunzel Hair: It's longer than her entire body.
- Revenge: Her conflict with Yato is fueled by her thirst for vengeance after he killed one of her Shinki in the past.
- It turns out Yato killed a CLAN of her Shinki, of which Kazuma was the only one left alive
- Revenge Before Reason: Her hatred of Yato is so strong she becomes willing to endanger her Shinki and her life to kill him.
- Revenge by Proxy: Yato wouldn't put it past Bishamon to kill Yukine or Hiyori just because they are associated with him.
- He's proven right in chapter 16, when Yukine accidently is transported to her home. Her first action is to shoot him.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: What her relationship with Yato eventually becomes after she finds out he killed her Shinki to save her life.
- Stepford Smiler: Bishamon and her Shinki (minus Kazuma), which is the cause of a lot of her problems. She constantly insists she's fine even when she's not, and deflects their concerns, while they hide their problems from her because they might physically affect her.
- Theme Naming: The given names of all of her Shinki end with 'ha'. She previously ended her Shinki's names with 'ma'.
- To Be Lawful or Good: Chooses Good when she and the rest of the Seven Lucky Gods sided with Ebisu instead of letting the Heavens punish him.
- Walking Armory: She possesses multiple Shinki, and can quickly alternate between weapons during battle. Her arsenal includes a whip, a pair of guns, and a lion, among others.
- Whip It Good: Kinuha, one of her Shinki, takes the form of a powerful whip.
- World's Best Warrior: Considered to be the most powerful of the war gods.
- Undying Loyalty: To her Shinki, especially Kazuma. Even when her Shinki of the 'ma' clan corrupted to an assimilated Ayakashi, she still begged Yato not to kill them, calling them good children.
Voiced By: Jun Fukuyama (Japanese), Eric Vale (English)
One of Bishamon's Shinki. He can take the form of a flowery earring that allows Bishamon to analyze her opponents.
- Awesome by Analysis/Enemy Scan: His primary function is to track and size up Bishamon's enemy and make calculations on how effective her attacks will be.
- It is shown that he also makes calculations for Bishamon's other Shinki, greatly increasing their combat effectiveness.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: He's always dressed professionally with a suit and tie.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Yukine, whom he becomes a mentor to.
- Cooldown Hug: Gave one to the blight-afflicted Bishamon after taking a strike meant for Yato.
- Conflicting Loyalties: He has a duty as Bishamon's Shinki, but also respects Yato.
- Covert Pervert : He was a serious character when he was first introduced. Later chapters say otherwise.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Played for laughs, when Yato showed up in front of Bishamon after kissing her (long story), he had a knife ready.
- Dark and Troubled Past: When nearly every Shinki of the 'ma' clan was beyond saving, he asked Yato to kill them to save Bishamon's life.
- Even worse, when accusations started flying between the members of the 'ma' clan, Kazuma's close friend and mentor Touma was falsely accused of causing the blight and killed by the other Shinki as he watched.
- Equippable Ally: As a Shinki, Kazuma can shift into an earring form.
- The Exile: After Bishamon learns that he has helped Yato, she cannot bring herself to take away Kazuma's name, but instead casts him out as a stray.
- After Bishamon exiled Kugaha, Kazuma rejoined Bishamon as lead Shinki once again
- Expy: He looks shockingly similar to Yukio Okumura from Blue Exorcist. They even have the same seiyuu.
- Foreshadowing: Why his name ends with 'ma' rather than 'ha' like Bishamon's other Shinki.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Kazuma starts blaming himself for Suzaha's death, despite not being the cause. He even blames himself for the death of both Bishamon's Shinki clans, calling himself a curse.
- Megane: Always wears his signature glasses.
- Mr. Exposition: Skills, backstories, you name it, Kazuma can probably fill you in on it in great detail.
- Nice Guy: He is very compassionate and kind to pretty much everyone.
- Number Two: Of all Bishamon's Shinki, Kazuma holds the most authority.
- The Paralyzer: He is capable of restraining and immobilizing an individual.
- This is actually a power all shinki have, as long as they know the name of the person/shinki they're targeting.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: The bespectacled Kazuma is Bishamon's trusted advisor, and his primary Shinki function is making calculations.
- The Spock: Very calm and calculating.
- Taking the Bullet: Took a blow from the raging Bishamon to save Yato. He survives.
- Undying Loyalty: To Bishamon.
The real Ebisu this time. He tries to buy off Yukine from Yato and has the highest reincarnation rate of any god due to his... unconventional hobbies.
- Anti-Hero: His dabbling in naming and controlling Ayakashi has gotten him in lots of trouble with the heavens. But he does it because he believes it could benefit the mortal world and it's people.
- Determinator: His will to become a mage and control Ayakashi has caused him to die countless times, but he won't give up until he succeeds.
- Father to His Men: While he can come off as aloof and uncaring, he really does care for his Shinki's well being.
- Leave Your Quest Test: Ebisu tries to buy Yukine from Yato, seeing the potential young Yukine has, which Ebisu deems he's wasting by sticking with Yato.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Yato.
- Non-Action Guy: He himself is not a fighter, and his Shinki are clothes that control his movements when he needs to evade attacks and defend himself.
- Not Afraid to Die: Since he knows he will just be reincarnated again if he ever bites it. Subverted when he is fatally wounded, Ebisu realizes that he doesn't want to die.
- Not So Different: A rare positive example. He was the first child of Izanami, who cast him away when she became evil. He considers himself to be like a Nora because of this, and is thus one of the few gods in the setting to welcome them into his care and treat them equally to his normal Shinki.
- Parental Abandonment: He is the son of Izanami, who casted him away due to a deformity like in the myths.
- Parental Substitute: Gives off this vibe towards Yato. In any case, he's a better father figure to Yato than his real father ever was. Even after Ebisu reincarnates. When he learns about who killed his previous incarnation and how Yato is connected to him, he readily forgives Yato
- Pet the Dog: Most, if not all, of his Shinki are strays; Some noted to be abandoned by their gods. He doesn't care about any of that though, or the stigma that comes with keeping them as he granted them a home.
- And then there's his reincarnation not holding any grudges when Yato explains how he's connected to the previous Ebisu's murderer
- Reincarnation: Ebisu has died many times in the past, but has consistently been reborn thanks to his great number of worshippers. He is again killed for his pursuit of the forbidden mage art, and is subsequently reborn as a young boy with no memories of his past life.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: As the god of wealth, he won't hesitate to throw his vast fortune around to get what he wants, including trying to buy off powerful Shinki. The latter part may be subverted as he offered to buy Yukine in order to find out how easily tempted he and Yato were.
- Secret Test of Character: His offer to buy Yukine off of Yato also doubles as a test to see how easily tempted Yato and Yukine are by money.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Both he and his Shinki wear suits.
- The Stoic: He shows next to no emotion at all times, regardless of what's happening around him.
- Super Strength: One of his Shinki, Houki, takes the form of gloves which gives Ebisu enhanced strength and combat prowess.
- Theme Naming: His Shinki's given names all end with "mi".
Voiced By: Rie Kugimiya (Japanese), Lauren Landa (English)
A mysterious Shinki girl that has some sort of history with Yato she was raised as Yato's sister by Father. She is a stray Shinki ("Nora"), one that has either been abandoned by her god, or ran away. Her weapon form is a hiltless katana. The name she received from Yato is Hiiro.
- Ambiguously Evil: Her malevolent actions suggests a villain, but no one, save perhaps Yato, can be certain of what she wants.
- Ax-Crazy: A far more sedate and calculating version than most, but yeah, Nora is definitely not playing with a full deck.
- Bad Ass Decay: After Yukine resoundingly fights her off, Nora loses her effectivness, a fact not lost on "Father" who compliments Yato on choosing his Shinki well.
- Black Eyes of Evil: She can somehow, creepily, conjure these for herself.
- Childhood Friends: Nora has known Yato since both of them were children and have more or less grown up together.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: To Yato. She shows signs of jealousy towards Yato's relationships with Yukine and Hiyori.
- The Corrupter: She repeatedly tempts Yato into returning to his former dark days, beckoning him to wield her once again and serve his "Father."
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: In the anime, knowing how important being remembered is to Yato, she attacked Hiyori and took away her memory of him. Nora also made it so that Hiyori will continue to waste away until she becomes a blank slate in the event that Yato still refuses to return to his God of Calamity status.
- Evil Counterpart: To Yukine. Both are seemingly young Shinki who have been named by Yato, with the ability to assume a katana form. Their personalities and motivations, however, are completely different.
- Faux Affably Evil: Nora speaks to Yato as if she is an old, close friend of his. She also constantly makes his life a living hell.
- I Have Many Names: Her entire body is painted with countless names.
- Jerkass: With the exception of Yato, she is unrepentantly cruel towards nearly everyone. She even openly mocked Bishamon's trouble in front of Kazuma. Who just asked for help to save Bishamon
- Lack of Empathy: She does not comprehend why Yato cares so much for Hiyori, believing such sentiments are weak.
- Kick the Dog: She sets ayakashi on Hiyori because she "doesn't deserve" to be associated with Yato. She even sics them on Suzuha, whom we had only gotten to know, successfully killing him, seemingly without reason. She also besets Yato with ayakashi twice, again, without explanation.
- Knight of Cerebus: The second she shows up all the comedy in the scene basically dies. Painfully.
- Making a Splash: She can summon and manipulate water.
- Meaningful Name: One of her names is Furuhime (Rain Princess), referring to her water abilities.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Nora is not her real name, but a title all stray Shinki wear.
- The name Yato gave her is Hiiro. But Father calls her Mizuchi.
- Perpetual Smiler: She is almost always seen smiling.
- The Rival: Essentially, she is Yukine's rival. Both want to be Yato's one and only Shinki, and work tirelessly to prove their individual worth.
- Tattoo as Character Type: Her body is covered with the tattoos of countless Shinki emblems, hinting at her history of drifting and having had many wielders.
- Villain Team-Up: She works as aid to several antagonists.
- We Used to Be Friends: Mostly on Yato's side, who is extremely wary of Nora. Nora's feelings towards Yato are much more complicated.
- Yandere: The rare uncomedic version of this trope. Her obsession with Yato only serves to to show how completely insane she is.
One of Bishamon's Shinki, and her team's medical physician. Though he presents himself as kind and loyal to his god, Kugaha is anything but, intending to overthrow Bishamon and take possession of the War God's power. To reach this end, Kugaha has enlisted the aid of Nora.
- An Arm and a Leg: Yato manages to sever his right hand.
- Arc Villain: His schemes serve to complicate the Yato vs. Bishamon story arc.
- Break Them by Talking: He is very good at this. His speech drove Suzuha to the Despair Event Horizon and nearly did the same to Bishamon.
- Faux Affably Evil: Kugaha usually presents himself as respectful and polite, all while wearing a faintly audacious smile.
- Humiliation Conga: His plan to kill Bishamon fails, Yato cuts off his hand, gives him "The Reason You Suck" Speech, his name is stripped from him, and he is teleported away into the sky where he proceeds to free-fall back to earth.
- Hypocrite: He hates how Bishamon takes so many Shinki not useful in battle. But his form is a scale.
- Man Child: Yato states the reason for his plan was he wanted more attention from Bishamon. Like a child wanting attention from their parent
- Manipulative Bastard: Kugaha is trying to ruin the greatest War God, he needs to be as sneaky and underhanded as possible. His plots are indirectly responsible for exiling Kazuma.
- He is able to play off a Shinki's worries, giving him an absolute advantage in battles between Shinki, even if the opposing Shinki being stronger as shown in his battles with Kazuma and Yukine.
- The Medic: He's very skilled at creating herbal concoctions, which help ease Bishamon's pains.
- Put on a Bus: He is eventually defeated by Yato and has his name revoked by Bishamon. However, rather than kill him, Bishamon chooses to teleport him away.
- The Bus Came Back: He later reappears while Yato is stuck in the Underworld to challenge Yukine's skill as a Shinki, and is eventually named and taken in by Tenjin, but as a captive.
- Shameless Fanservice Guy: He completely (and most unnecessarily) strips naked for everyone to see to confirm he is free of guilt markings. Kugaha has a surprisingly good figure.
- Slasher Smile: When he knows he's winning, his crazy grin will show it.
- Smug Snake: Kugaha is extremely arrogant and condescending, always looking down on others and never feeling unjustified.
- The Starscream: He intends to kill Bishamon and take control of the God of War when she is reincarnated, thereby claiming her power for himself.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Even after Bishamon took him in and gave him a home and a name, he still betrays her without remorse.
- Villain Ball: After Yato and Bishamon end their fight peacefully, Kugaha comes out and demands they keep fighting, apparently forgetting that Yato is still armed and angry.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Kugaha is the only thing keeping Bishamon's health in check, so naturally he commands a great deal of respect from Bishamon's other Shinki. Little do they know Kugaha's true intentions.
"Father"An enigmatic entity known to Yato and Nora only as "Father." He holds great power over Yato.
- Abusive Parents: Of the emotion and verbal kind. He refuses to see Yato as anything else but a God of Calamity and puts him down when he tries to do good things.
- Archnemesis Dad: Since Yato was actually born from his father's wish; he fears that if his father dies, he might disappear too.
- Bad Ass: He may be a smug, devious utterly amoral man, but Yato's father is this. He's a human whose effectively immortal with his Body Surf stchick, manages to manipulate Gods like it's part of his daily routine, and when he first goes up against Yato in his current form, dominates the battle with Yato not landing a single hit on him.
- Berserk Button: Yato implies that his attempts to escape "Father's" influence is this for him.
- Big Bad: He's actively trying to take Yato and Yukine and is conflict with the gods
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: When Hiyori finally detects him, he chews her out with barely restrained vitriol and takes troll like glee in mocking her relationship with his son.
- Body Surf: According to Yato, he's a human who survives by constantly changing bodies via a technique similar to divine possession. Currently he's inside one of Hiyori's classmates, Kouta Fujisaki.
- Faux Affably Evil: Dear Lord the man wears his contempt for those around him on his sleeve. Half his dialogue with Yato consists of slimy put-downs, oblique insults and a lot of mockery.
- The Dreaded: Yato fears his "Father" more than anyone else.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: The first meeting he has with Yato during the present day events of the manga is this in spades.
- Humans Are Bastards: Just as contemptuous of mankind as he is of Gods. Chapter 50 is his attempt at using this to drive Hiyori to the point of madness. He fails.
- Hidden Villain: He is mostly discussed by Yato and Nora, but never shown in person. It is not until much later that his physical appearance is shown.
- Manipulative Bastard: Manages to screw over the Gods and get Ebisu roasted by lightening in his place
- But the main victim has to be his son who despite his best efforts, ends up as a pawn in many of his plots.
- Older Than They Look: His true appearance. He's not a god, and he is older than Yato. Currently he appears as a teenager due to possessing a student.
- Psychopathic Man Child: A major league one. When Hyori called him out on how he made Yato suffer, he conducts a colossal case of Disproportionate Retribution by destroying her father's career, driving her to the point of madness and trying to force Yato to kill her
- The Sadist: He's the embodiment of this trope.
Voiced By: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese), Mike McFarland (English)
A mysterious and powerful God of Calamity. Rabou is said to grant dark wishes of people. His speciality entails killing Ayakashi, people, and even Gods. He is one of the many Gods that employ Nora as a Shinki.
- Anti-Villain: Type II, a Tragic Villain.
- Ax-Crazy: Based on his smile after killing people, we can safely say he's this.
- Badass: In his first fight with Yato, he overpowered Yato.
- Being Evil Sucks: Rabou is perfectly aware of how his life is a dead end road.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With Nora (called Furuhime when using her) in the anime.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: When he absorbs Ayakashi into his empty left eye socket, he gains a crimson eye with a completely black sclera.
- Blood Knight: He seems to enjoy fighting and killing, and even smiles when Yato comes close to injuring him in battle.
- Canon Foreigner: Rabou does not appear in the manga, only the anime.
- Canon Immigrant: While he doesn't appear in the manga, he does appear in a manga special.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Absorbing Ayakashi is logically a dangerous idea. However, Rabou sustained his God form by placing a life threatening curse on himself. Even if Yato had not killed him, he did not have much time left.
- Death Seeker: He pursues Yato in the hopes that his fellow God of Calamity will give him a wonderful fight to the death. Rabou has pretty much given up on living after hundreds of years of being forgotten, and wishes to be killed by the only person who remembers him.
- Deity of Human Origin: He used to be a human warrior, but after he was killed, those who feared him deified him into a God-like entity.
- The Dreaded: The few people that know of Rabou fear him for his ability to carry out death wishes.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: He is incapable of understanding why Yato has cleaned up his act and is not a psychopathic killer like him.
- Evil Counterpart: To Yato. Both are sword-wielding Gods of Calamity with obscure origins. Both have a history with Nora, but Yato has chosen to try turning over a new leaf and do honest work. Rabou continues to kill, and even thrives on it.
- Eyescream: He's missing his left eye.
- Expy: A pretty solid one of Vicious. Both are implied to be former partners with The Hero, both are considered Evil Counterparts to said hero, both instill fear into the otherwise unflappable hero, and both are Ax-Crazy scary looking psychopaths with white hair.
- Killed Off for Real: Yato fulfills Rabou's death wish and kills him. Because no one will remember him, this ends Rabou's existence.
- Knight of Cerebus: Him entering the fray fills Yato's heart with dread.
- The Last Dance: His fight with Yato.
- Living on Borrowed Time: He should be Deader Than Dead by now thanks to no one remembering him but he got an extension thanks to absorbing Ayakashi.
- Madness Mantra: When fighting Yato, he simply repeats "Remember" over and over again.
- Malevolent Masked Man: He wears a mask that conceals the left side of his face. The mask bears an eye-like design on it.
- Ninja Log: He's so fast he can avoid an attack by substituting his body with a water clone.
- Not So Different: Both Rabou and Yato yearn to be remembered, but since all they have to offer is death and destruction, they will never enjoy the adoration of people. However, whereas Yato continues to strive to make a name for himself, Rabou gives up.
- Professional Killer: He's basically the god of professional killers.
- Razor Wind: Using Nora, he is capable of unleashing this.
- Red Right Hand: Subverted, he conceals his clearly evil-looking black hole of a left eye behind his mask.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Slept for 500 years unto Nora woke him up for some extra muscle.
- Shadow Archetype: He's Yato's Shadow. Rabou is essentially what Yato would have been if he hadn't tried being more than a God of Calamity.
- Slasher Smile: He grins like a psychopath after slaughtering dozens of humans.
- The Stoic: He is mostly expressionless, unless he's fighting.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: He is a malevolent God of Calamity, after all.
- Teach Him Anger: He tries to trigger Yato's anger in a variety of ways, hoping he would regain his former strength as a God of Calamity.
- Tragic Villain: He knows Being Evil Sucks, but unlike Yato he can't change his ways.
- Voice of the Legion: After absorbing Ayakashi.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Silvery hair in contrast to the red he makes countless people bleed.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees one in Yato.