In 2005, the TV Show Supernatural first aired on television, detailing the story of two brothers, Dean and Sam Winchester, traveling across the country taking on cases and hunting creatures of the supernatural persuasion.
In 2011, the Japanese anime studio Madhouse Productions took the show and turned it into an anime, retelling the first two seasons of the show, which dealt with Dean and Sam trying to find their dad and the aftermath.
And then, also in 2011, the group TheWINChestersInc decided to do their own take on the anime that took its own take on Supernatural. And thus, Supernatural The Animation Abridged was born, albeit more on the more bizarre side of an abridged series.
- Adaptation-Induced Plot Hole: Dean and Sam are convinced that they cured Madison's lycanthropy in episode 4 after she confirms that her boyfriend bit her, and Dean already killed him. Only problem? She turned after he died and before she revealed that.
- Adolf Hitlarious: The guys noticed that a minor character had the misfortune of having an all too familiar mustache style and just rolled with it.Michael: Hey, Happy Hitler! How's persecution going!
Kevin: I know I'm running a master race but most people call it a marathon! And the name's Kevin! KEVIN!
Michael: Kevin! Whassup my nigga!
Kevin: Don't jew dare start that again! I'm nobody's "niggaaa!"
- Alternate Universe: Well, duh, but an offhand remark Sam makes in episode 6 implies he never hooked up with Jessica... because of his dad stealing her...
- Anachronic Order: So far, the episodes of the original anime that were abridged are (in order): "The Alter Ego"note , "Roadkill"note , "Ghost on The Highway"note , "Moonlight"note , "Savage Blood"note , and "Home"note .
- Anti-Hero: Both of the brothers. Sam is psychotic, and Dean is a serial killer.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Sam masturbates to the voice at the beginning of FUNimation videos.
- Armored Closet Gay: You can read a lot into Dean's insistence on doing overly masculine things and becoming insecure as hell when an openly gay man flirted with him.
- Back from the Dead: Gordon, with a little help from Zachariah... for a while.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Technically, the Ghost Impala in episode 3 due to every gay person in town being dead at the end.
- Sam and Dean in episode 4. Sam because he killed Madison without remorse, Dean because he got away with killing another hooker.note
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Right away, Dean suspects their old enemy GOOOOORDOOOOON!!! to be the cow-shafter. He is right.
- Bond Villain Stupidity: The Shapeshifter gets into this to the point where both Dean and Sam call him out on it.Sam: You didn't even kill the real [Dean]?!
Dean: He didn't kill us?
Dean: He fucking could have!
- Break the Cutie: Discussed and mercilessly parodied in episode 5.
- Brother-Brother Incest: Between Sam and Dean at the end of episode two. It's never mentioned again, aside from a short line in episode 5.Dean: HUG ME, BROTHER!
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: As Castiel explains in episode 6, trying to defeat Ghost Nappa, which has become a Tulpa, isn't going to be easy. Why? Because the show's own fanbase managed to add Dean and Sam into its lore... which is shown with a Youtube comment predicting that they would hunt Ghost Nappa in a later episode.
- Brutal Honesty: Dean very bluntly tells Sam that not only is Madison in Purgatory and not Heaven, but neither of them will be going there either.Dean: Aw, c'mon, it's not that bad. Neither am I, I'll see you in Hell!
- Catchphrase: "DEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!"
- Canon Welding: Due to the series gaining its own niche of fans, it led to their universe being forced into a crossover with Dragon Ball Z Abridged.
- Captain Obvious: "I'M ANGRY ABOUT THIS!"
- Cloudcuckooland: Go and watch an episode of the original anime. Then watch one of the abridged episodes. Compare and contrast.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Sam and Dean are assholes. The abridged series takes any negative traits they have in canon, Flanderizes them to hell, and produces a couple of psycho killers running around, killing both monsters and people and getting mixed up in zany hijinks. Basically, imagine if Dean and Henriksen were both right about who the boys are. This is all Played for Laughs. And, truth be told, it is really funny.
- Couch Gag: The "non-profit fan based parody" disclaimer, with the exception of Episodes 2 and 4, ends differently each time:
- Episode 1 has Dean tell Sam to shut up.
- Episode 3 has the "PLEEEAASE" husband show up only for Dean to ask how he got into the booth.
- Episode 5 has the vampire kid read the "please support the official release part" only for Dean to tell him that he fucked it up.
- Episode 6 has Dean tell the viewer to support the live action show instead of the anime.
- Crossover: Technically, episode 6 is one with Dragon Ball Z Abridged due to the Big Bad being Ghost Nappa.
- Cutting the Knot: Nope! Whenever Dean and Sam need to use Google, they actually drive to Google Headquarters.Sam: Dean, we didn't have to come to Google Headquarters to use Google.
Dean: Fine, Sam, if you want to half-ass everything-
Sam: No no no! I want to use my whole ass!
Dean: Mmmm, later, but for now, we have a case.
- Dean Winchester Is About to Shoot You at the End of the Fourth Episode's Teaser: Yep.
- Death by Irony: Invoked by Alucard, who, believing that Dean is a sexual deviant (true) molesting his cows and his son (not true), plans an ironic death for him by tying him to a chair and pushing him off so that Dean will land on top of upturned pitchforks, which will then penetrate and kill him.
- Depraved Omnisexual: Dean. Kills prostitutes after having sex with them, and there was that Twincest thing joked about earlier...
- Driven to Suicide: Madison attempting to kill herself with a mirror shard is reimagined in episode 4 as being because of Sam returning.Madison: [thinking] Oh God, he's back.
- Disappeared Dad: John Winchester, of course. More intentionally this time around.Sam: You remind me of this other dick I know. Oh yeah! Dad.
Dean: Where the fuck's Dad?
- Disposable Sex Worker: One episode was about a Serial Killer killing prostitutes... it was Dean.Sam: I know, Dean. Twas you that killed the hookers!
Dean: Only two!
- Disproportionate Retribution: Why did Dean chuck Sam's candy bar out the window in episode 3? Sam didn't buy him one.
- Do Wrong, Right: In episode 1, Dean and Sam are pissed that the Shapeshifter didn't kill them after attacking them, let alone bothering to hide the real Dean after taking his appearance.Dean: I'M ANGRY ABOUT THIS!
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: In episode 4:Sam: [Madison] transformed [into a werewolf]—
Dean: [thinking] Saw this coming.
Sam: —during sex.
Sam: I didn't stop. I just kept going. It was a mistake. You should see my dick.
Dean: Why didn't she transform earlier?
Sam: Maybe she's gotta be asleep to turn.
Dean: [beat] So... she was asleep during...?
Dean: You know what, you don't have to explain.
- Although, the implication is that she fell asleep during, not that she was already asleep.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Episode 1 is the only episode with a letterbox format. The rest are full video.
- Everyone Has Standards: Dean and Sam are pretty much psychopaths in the series but it's clear even they have lines they don't want each other to cross. Dean in particular is disgusted when he thinks Sam was having sex with an unconscious Madison and realized how damning the image of him taking a little boy to a secluded location to change his clothes and wrestle with him is.
- Eye Scream: In episode 6, Castiel burns out Missouri's eyes in Revenge for her tricking Dean into drinking pee.
- Failed a Spot Check: Somehow, after Dean and Sam got arrested in episode 3, the cops didn't think to take Dean's blowtorch away from him.
- Filk Song: Two, one a filking of "Giggle at the Ghostie" (when the Shapeshifter is about to murder someone's wife), the other of "Hungry Like the Wolf"... while Sam's being attacked by Werewolf!Madison.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: WANTED: John Winchester's PenisDean: Ha!
- Fricking Laser Beams: Dean's necklace fires laser beams.
- Funny Background Event:
- Every shot inside the car has been edited so there's random videos in the background.
- Dean can be heard banging on Madison's front door and yelling at Sam to let him in during Sam's inner monologue concerning "Operation Morning Dew". Part of this is Dean threatening to get in the Impala and leave Sam behind. The other part?Dean: I'M ANGRY ABOUT THIS!
- Episode 1 has a Missing Poster of John Winchester behind Dean.
- Gilligan Cut: In episode 4, after Dean calls Sam telling him to let him into Madison's apartment when he gets back:Sam: [after hanging up] Sam loves you, Dean.
[cut to Sam standing in the doorway of Madison's bedroom]
Dean: [from the other side of the front door] SAM! [begins banging on the door] OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR!
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Who else but the Winchesters?
- Hulk Speak: Dean wonders why Sam is in pain in this way in episode 6:Dean: Sam? Sammy?! Why am frown?! Is it the music? I'm not turning it down!
- Imaginary Boyfriend: Sam refers to Castiel as Dean's Imaginary Friend. Dean quickly corrects him.
- Inner Monologue: Dean has one in episode 5. You all know the one.
- Organ Autonomy: However, special mention goes to this:Vampire Kid: So, I'll see you tomorrow?
Dean: [thinking] Alright, decision time. [out loud] Yes! [thinking; looks at his mouth in shock] DAMN YOU, MOUTH, I WASN'T DONE DECIDING! [out loud; mouth moves to face Dean] Sorry.
Vampire Kid: You don't have anything to apologize for, Mr. Batman. I love you!
- Organ Autonomy: However, special mention goes to this:
- Insane Troll Logic:
- When Sam reads a newspaper article in episode 4 concerning hookers being killed in the area, and noticing that a picture in it resembles Dean, what does Dean do in response?Dean: [grabs the paper and moves it away from Sam and onto the bed] And now the paper's over there! What say you now?
Sam: Hmm... ...perhaps it's a shapeshifter?
Dean: Hypothesis accepted!
- One shared by both Dean and Google is in episode 5: by typing in "sex with cows decapitation" into Google, the Winchesters are taken to Gordon's Tumblr... which Dean thinks makes perfect sense. Never mind that they're both right...Dean: [thinking] Gordon... Gordon? [shouting] Of course! The cows! ALL SIGNS POINT TO GORDON!!!
- When Sam reads a newspaper article in episode 4 concerning hookers being killed in the area, and noticing that a picture in it resembles Dean, what does Dean do in response?
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY": Missouri is pronounced as "Misery."Dean: That's awful!
- Jerkass Has a Point: After Sam mentions he was about to punch him in the face for his "WE'RE ABOUT TO CRASH" prank, Dean points out the problem:
- Jump Scare: Technically, Sam spontaneously screaming in episode 4 counts.
- Kick the Dog: In episode 2, after being fed up with dealing with Molly, Sam decides to reveal to her that she's been dead for 15 years and her husband moved on out of spite.Sam: It's amazing how I've hated you completely since we've met and you're STILL losing points!
Molly: It's amazing how little I care about what some douchebag in faggy little pants thinks!
Sam: ...alright, you know what?! That's it! I'm gonna show you something!
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Sam points out that Dean's going too fast when he says he can't make out the scenery, which is drawn as being blurred.
- Loophole Abuse: Despite Castiel not appearing in the anime (since it was based off of the first two seasons), the abridged series worked around this by either by A) having him be The Voice or B) having him appear as a blue orb.
- Male Gaze: Dean marvels Katherin's "dat ass", which comes into play as it's how he deduces that the Katherine he encounters in her apartment is a shapeshifter.
- Medium Awareness: The Winchesters can hear the closing song in episode 4. ...and begin laughing over how it fits with Madison's death.
- Mind Screw:
- The climax of episode 1 involves Dean and Shapeshifter!Sam accusing the other of being a shapeshifter while in the Impala. As you can imagine, both are confused by the end.Dean: WHO'S TALKING?!
- Alucard tries to do this to Dean in episode 5. Castiel does it more effectively back to him when he zaps all the pitchforks away and sticks them in haystacks that had not in fact even existed on Alucard's farm before then. That in particular gets Alucard riled up.Alucard: Do you feel my huge cock in your ear? Fucking your mind?
Dean: Aw, dude, that's so not cool, my ear just started to itch.
- Same episode: somehow, John's journal has an entry describing someone going around having sex with cows, and then getting decapitated... despite it being in that day's paper.
- There's one scene in episode 4 that none of the characters can explain why it happened: Sam spontaneously screaming and Dean teleporting out of Madison's apartment.
- The climax of episode 1 involves Dean and Shapeshifter!Sam accusing the other of being a shapeshifter while in the Impala. As you can imagine, both are confused by the end.
- Mythology Gag: Roughly a quarter of the abridged series' humor. You can watch it without having watched the show and still get some laughs, but a Supernatural fan will pick up on some very clever little in-jokes. Example from episode 5:
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Although it isn't outright stated by the characters, Youtube user dbzbaw1's comment predicting Dean and Sam hunting Ghost Nappanote complicated things in episode 6 because that effectively added them into his lore.
- No Fourth Wall: Sam and Dean are apparently fully aware that they are in an Abridged Series, that the ghost they are hunting is from another similar series, and that they have their own fanbase by Episode 5. The two of them discover that Nappa is dead by watching Episode 9 of DBZ Abridged.
- Not Me This Time: When Sam thinks that Dean is the one mutilating and shafting cows in episode 5.
- Off-Model: Michael's corpse in episode 3 is very... off-putting.
- The animation of Dean drinking pee in episode 6.
- Papa Wolf: Alucard.
- Parental Favoritism: Dean notices that Mary doesn't bother telling him that she loves him and only tells him to look after Sam.Dean: Oh, I see how it is...
- Pedo Hunt: A bullied kid asks Dean to train him, to which he agrees, but his father believes he's a pedophile and so tries to kill him.
- Plot Hole: In-Universe. Dean spontaneously appearing in the apartment after Sam locked him out in episode 4. This is lampshaded by the man himself:Dean: Well, apparently, I'm back. Nobody let me in, I don't know how I got here...
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Both Sam and Dean are both sexist and homophobic. Played for Laughs.Sam: What the fuck is wrong with you!
Molly: I don't know any better.
Dean: [nods furiously] It's true, she is a woman.
- Race Lift: Gordon, a black man, is resurrected as a white man (with an Australian accent!). The anime character was intended to be a totally different character, but he was so obviously based on Gordon that the abridged series just rolled with it.
- Rated M for Manly: Dean sure loves doing things that makes him feel manly.
- Random Events Plot: Episode 5, although it manages to get back on track near the end. In order: note
- Reality Ensues: As Dean points out in episode 1, punching the driver of a supposedly about to crash car in the face is not going to help things...
- Refuge in Audacity: How was the Ghost Impala dealt with in episode three? By the asshole cop killing his son... the last gay person in town.
- Running Gag: In scenes from inside the car, instead of the road passing by outside the windows it's nonsensical Stock Footage. The boys have driven through things ranging from The Angry Video Game Nerd to Spongebob Squarepants to a YouTube copyright claim.
- In episode 2, mentions of "You dirty fat whore".
- In episode 6, bringing up the fact that Dean drank pee.
- Sam and Dean keep going to Google headquarters to use Google.
- Sanity Slippage: Sam immediately starts going nuts in episode 4 after Dean disappears from Madison's boring apartment.
- And then it proceeds to get worse:
- Say My Name:
- Dean does this repeatedly with "SAM!" and "GORDON!"
- Also, DEEEEAAAAANN!!!!
- Screamer Prank: In the opening of the first episode.
- Self-Serving Memory:
- At the end of episode 6, Dean leaves out a key moment in his recap:Dean: Dude, we saved a family, destroyed a meme, and got to see mom again. All in all, a good day!
Sam: [looking incredulous] You drank pee!
Dean: THAT'S NOT HOW WE'LL BE REMEMBERING IT!
- Also in the same episode, Dean thinks that he killed Gordon in the previous episode.Sam: God, I wish you'd get off your ass and do some work!
Dean: [watching TV] I took care of Gordon!
Sam: NO! NO, YOU DIDN'T!
- At the end of episode 6, Dean leaves out a key moment in his recap:
- The "HUG ME BROTHER!!!" line mentioned above is said pretty much the same way as on Drake & Josh.
- Episode 3 has a direct one towards Code Geass, which may also be a subtle one towards Code MENT, whose style the series' abridging takes after.
- Episode four's opening is a huge shout-out to Death Note.
- Same episode, what does Sam say before having sex with Madison?
- A stealth one: when Dean and Sam drive away, Sam exclaims "Dean! We have to go back!" (because he wants to have more sex with Madison) as "Back In Time" plays on the radio in the Impala.
- While Dean is changing channels in Episode 6, you can briefly hear the intro to Game Grumps.
- Skewed Priorities:
- While Sam is being attacked by Werewolf!Madison in episode 4, Dean is dancing and singing a "Hungry Like The Wolf"-style Filk Song. Dean even points out in his lyrics that he should be helping... but "[he doesn't] give a fuck".
- After assuming the music on the radio is causing Sam's headache in episode 6, Dean... tells him he's not turning it down.
- Same episode: a flashback to the night Mary died revealed John's method of handling it:John: I'll stare down the flames and buy us some time!
- Same episode: a flashback to the night Mary died revealed John's method of handling it:
- Soundtrack Dissonance:
- The climactic scene of Dean and Shapeshifter!Sam fighting in the Impala on the highway and Real!Sam running up to shoot Shapeshifter!Sam through the windshield in episode 1 is set to, of all things, The Youngblood's "Come Together".
- Stating the Simple Solution: After the vampire's elaborate plan to impale Dean on pitchforks fails:Vampire: [after lamenting how his plan went wrong] To be honest, the thought of killing you seems kind of empty.
Dean: Aw, thanks man, I really appre—
Vampire: [Evil Laughs] PSYCH, I'M THIRSTY!!
- Talking in Your Sleep: Sam says his entire sex dream out loud in episode 2.Sam: ...did you hear anything?
Dean: I heard enough forever.
- Take That!:
- In-Universe, Dean eating Pizza Time pizza in episode 5 made him give up on food entirely... until he got hungry.
- A subtle one from the same episode: Dean is looking around town and winds up spotting "a bunch of kids killing one kids for entertainment". And by "a bunch", Dean means four.
- Not only is the similarity pointed out in the episode itself (where upon it's clarified that the Ghost Impala kills gay people instead of black people), but the description for episode 3 is:The Animation's failed attempt at "Route 666".
- At the beginning of almost every episode, there is a disclaimer that ends with whoever's reading to asking the viewer to support the "official" release, meaning the anime. Episode 6, on the other hand?Dean: The following is a non-profit fanbased parody. Supernatural: The Animation is owned by Eric Kripke, Warner Bros., and Madhouse Productions. Please support the live-action show.
- Behold: the description to episode 2:If the original anime can choose when the snow abruptly stops, so can we.
- a meme is to overuse it. And the best way to do that is with a Tumblr. As Dean and Sam state in episode 6, the best way to kill
- Tulpa: Ghost Nappa in episode 6. However, Dean and Sam can't kill it in the normal way (getting people to stop believing in it): not only does their attempt at using Tumblr backfire, but as Castiel reveals, they were added into the lore by their own fanbase. Ultimately, it was killed by Mary destroying his scouter.
- The Power of Hate:
- How Dean's necklace shoots lasers: if Dean is particularly pissed about something, it will go off. While Dean screams his own name.Dean: [thinking] Damn you, tree. I fell out of you and broke Sam's arm. [necklace activates] DEEEEAAAANNNN!
That Mom Like Person: Is my tree on fire?!
Dean: We would love to come in!
- How Sam describes killing Molly in episode 2:Sam: [cheerful] I killed a ghost with nothing but hateful words!
- How Dean's necklace shoots lasers: if Dean is particularly pissed about something, it will go off. While Dean screams his own name.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Dean realizing he'll eventually have to kill that vampire kid in episode 6... and we already quoted that. But we didn't quote THIS:Vampire Kid: I'm sorry... Probably has to do with me being a vampire...
Dean: Is that right? Well, fuuuu-uuuuuck...
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior:
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: Sam shows up near the end of episode 5 to shoot Gordon... despite that no point did Dean say that Sam should do something.Sam: I think I misunderstood the plan...
- Verbal Backspace: Missouri's first words to Sam and Dean in episode 6?Missouri: I knew you were coming, so I peed in this p- brewed some tea...
- Verbal Tic:
- The husband in episode two who starts his sentences with "Pleeeeeaaassseee". This drives his wife to attempt to kill him.
- When ever Dean mentions / thinks about Gordon, he has to scream his name.
- Vocal Dissonance: What happens when you cast PurpleEyesWTF as a Cool-Ass Baby.
- Vocal Evolution: Dean sounds less and less deep voiced as the series progresses and actually sounds more like Live Action!Dean. Sam, on the other hand, is more or less the same (albeit a bit more higher pitched).
- The Voice: Castiel in episodes 5 and 6.
- Yandere: Sam turns into one for Madison in episode four.Sam: I am your boyfriend now. Dream about my dick.