Ryan Nicks, better known as PurpleEyesWTF (a possible play on LittleKuriboh's alias CardGamesFTW), is the creator of the abridged series Code MENT, as well as the abridged series genre known as the abridgement. Unlike other abridged series, the abridgement genre relies on distinct voices, slick editing, nonsensical humor, and pushing the limit from offensive to insanely absurd. Although most of his works are extremely wacky in both their premise and execution, Ryan has a clearly high standard for comedic timing and writing, frequently making what should be lowbrow jokes somewhat intelligent.
Sadly, it seems the madman is retiring from making abridged series (as stated in this podcast) to spend more time with his fiancee and his regular job.
Even though Ryan may be done abridging series himself, he still does show up every now and then in other abridged shows.
Works from PurpleEyesWTF:
Other works he has participated in:
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged
- Final Fantasy VII: Machinabridged
- Hellsing Ultimate Abridged
- My Hero Academia Abridged (Made by Something Witty Entertainment of Sword Art Online Abridged fame)
- Naruto: The Abridged Comedy Fandub Spoof Series Show
- Pokémon The 'Bridged Series
- Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: The Abridged Series
Tropes applying to PurpleEyesWTF and his works:
- Author Appeal:
- April Fools' Day: As a joke, Nicks made a one-shot called Pokemans: The Adventure.
- Black Comedy: Which he will usually follow up with something that makes little to no sense.
- *Bleep*-dammit!: When the same swear word is used twice in quick succession, one will be bleeped out while the other will not.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Whatever this guy makes makes, its pretty...odd.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: In a video about an internet comment, Nicks talks about an early review of the SSX series where the reviewer ragged on the music, despite the game letting a player use their own music tracks. Nicks threatened that if he ever found the reviewer, he would make them walk his cat with a cat leash.
- Genius Ditz: Occasionally has his characters spontaneously spout philosphical theories on the human condition, along with a subtle way of making ironic statements one wouldn't notice on the first watch. Then something usually explodes, dies, murders, etc.
- Insane Troll Logic: One of his two major sources of comedy, alongside stupidity.
- Logic Bomb: The man's logic seems to run on the rule that one should break normal logic. Case in point, his channel is "Retrofitted for the future!"
- Man of a Thousand Voices: He's got a wide range of voices, and he's even able to do females...though to varying degrees.
- Mind Screw: If you're asking questions about Nicks bizarre train of logic within his videos, that's likely because you tried it before and all it led to was more questions.
- Never Learned to Read: Many of his characters are illiterate for the sake of comedy. It's generally safe to assume that a character can't read until proven otherwise.
- Non Sequitur: Pretty much everything.
- Reclusive Artist: At first he was just as mysterious and faceless as most Abridgers when they start out, but he had begun to become more open about himself as he attended more conventions. This was mostly still outside his videos until he began showing his face within the episodes of his shows themselves, including some bizarre live-action shorts. However, these shorts were eventually deleted and Nicks had been making fewer and fewer live action appearances. It eventually came to a head and he fully retreated back into reclusive mode following his marriage and semi-retirement from abridging. Information on this very page was altered or removed to respect his privacy.
- Refuge in Audacity: Pushes the envelope to its absolute limit, and then some.
- Rule of Funny: Frequently runs on this and little else.
- Self-Deprecation: Most of the stuff featuring just him involves him dying, being insulted, or having the channel move on without him and becoming wildly successful.
- Shared Universe: Let's see...Lelouch vi Britannia is the cousin of Death the Kid and the nephew of Alucard and Shinigami. Jeremiah Gottwald, Monkey D. Luffy, Brock, and Junko Enoshima have all visited Death City at one point. Edward and Alphonse Elric have also summoned Lelouch into their universe as well as resurrected Kiyotaka Ishimaru via successful Human Transmutation. Also, Soul Evans might have abridged Paprika.
- Stuff Blowing Up: It's very rare that something doesn't blow up when he's writing or directing.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: His usual parody style is to drop most characters' IQ levels into the basement.
- Vocal Dissonance: It's very common for most of the characters he voices to sound absolutely nothing like one would expect them to, such as the least feminine-sounding voice he could do for Misty. It's a lot funnier this way.
- Would Hurt a Child: Suggested fighting a middle school as an alternative to Youtube.