Dragon City is a mobile app introduced by SocialPoint in May of 2012.
The idea is relatively simple: raise a magical floating island of various dragons. As of 2017, there are over 400 species. The other mechanics are the same as DragonVale: grow food to feed your dragons, battle them, breed them, and participate in events to unlock exclusive ones.
This game provides examples of:
- Color-Coded Elements: Red for fire, green for nature, brown for terra, blue for sea...
- Dem Bones: Several dragons.
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: There's a total of four dino-themed dragons: T-Rex, Pterodactyl, Brontosaurus, and The Good Dragon. The High Supremacy dragon is also stated to be a relative of the T-Rex.
- Elemental Powers: You betcha.
- Elemental RockPaperScissors: The battles use the elements to gauge strength and weakness in attack, based on the first element of the dragon. In a twist to the standard, Sea and Flame are mutually effective against each other.
- Expy: Many of movie-themed dragons take their design from Disney incarnations.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: Although the game's focus is dragons, a few (see Hybrid Monster) imply that the other fantasy creatures also exist.
- Feathered Serpent: Several exist like the Ozone and Quetzal dragons.
- Floating Continent
- Frickin' Laser Beams: The Laser Dragon.
- G-Rated Sex: Our old pal, the Breeding Den, returns once more.
- Guest Fighter: The Monstrous Dragon is Musu from Monster Legends.
- Hybrid Monster: A handful, including the Nisse, Unicorn, and Fairy dragons.
- Palette Swap: A few.
- Scales of Justice: A few examples exist.
- A dragon called the Zodiac Libra Dragon can be found in the Epic Dragon Pack, said dragon has scales hanging off it's horns and the constellation has long since been associated with law.
- A dragon called the Justice Dragon exists emulating Lady Justice with her blindfold, though instead of having actual scales it just has a emblem on it's chest and egg with the scales on it.
- Seahorses Are Dragons: The Seahorse Dragon, which provides the page image.
- Secret Character: The Butterfly Dragon was not available in the store, but could be bred. This was fixed in later versions of the game, however.
- Stock Dinosaurs: See Dinosaurs are Dragons.
- Shout-Out: Plentiful. Bieber Dragon, Cyborg Dragon, and Iron to name a few.
- Takes One to Kill One: The Legendary Type is only weak against the Legendary Type.
- Unicorn: The Unicorn Dragon, a rainbow-maned hybrid that can cure any disease and smells like cotton candy. The Dainty dragon is a distant relative of them.