El Mariacho: And look! There is a big heart coming out of my head right now! It's kind of painful, actually, but I shall endure the pain... for my brother!
The stylized heart shape, ♥ (or <3, A.K.A the "happy cyclops with a Cat Smile" face, as an emoticon), is a classic visual metaphor. But, that's for the tropes in the Heart index. This page is for when the heart symbol appears and isn't part of any of those tropes.
Something of note: According to The Other Wiki, the exact origin of the ♥ symbol remains controversial, since it doesn't take a doctor to realize that it looks nothing like an actual human heart; however, its existence as a stylized symbol seems to go back at least to medieval Europe, or maybe ancient Roman North Africa.
Wicked Heart Symbol is a subtrope, for when the heart symbol is associated with villainy. Say It with Hearts is one as well, the ♥ symbol is the only symbol that works with that trope, no anatomical hearts can be used for that, unless it's being played with.
- AKB0048: Every member of the AKB0048 has a heart-shaped shine in their hair and in their eyes as well. This feature in particular seems to be a manifestation of the potential of a girl to be a future Successor, as it shows up the young Lancastar girls after they witness their first concert. It happens again to another set of young girls after they see their first 00 performance as well.
- Former members have diamonds instead. Justified by the fact that there are tons of characters, makes it easier for people to just identify who is in and who isn't.
- The Japanese logo for Kaguya-sama: Love Is War features a heart which is usually superimposed over someone's eye on the volume covers. Hearts are also a major motif during the culture festival arc, as there is a legend that if someone give another a heart shaped object during the festival the two of them will be granted eternal love. Said arc's climax has Shirogane showering the school in hundreds of heart shaped balloons as a Grand Romantic Gesture for Kaguya.
- In Kaiju Girl Caramelise, Kuroe Akaishi turns into a Kaiju called Harugon whenever she experiences strong emotion, usually in relation to her crush Arata Minami. Harugon looks mostly like the standard Notzilla, except with noticeable heart shapes in her eyes and on one pair of wings. Similarly, her Kaiju-crazy classmate Manatsu has a sleeping bag and a fancy costume that look respectively like the larva and imago forms of Mothra with added heart designs.
- In Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf: Joys of Seasons episode 5, Wolnie blows some kisses at Wolffy when she congratulates him for digging up a water fountain for them. Heart symbols emit from Wolnie's lips as she blows kisses, and Wolffy's head emits heart symbols as he faints from the kisses. Wolffy's cousin then appears and grabs one of the heart symbols which came from Wolffy's head, cracking it as he makes fun of Wolffy's fountain for being nothing more than a ditch.
- The narrator of Pokemon Strangled Red mentions seeing a heart symbol when the protagonist of the eponymous hacked game shares a kiss with Daisy Oak.
- I Heart Huckabees: A heart symbol is used in the title, and is the slogan of the Huckabees company.
- In Conor Kostic's novel Saga: Ghost's symbol is a ♥, and is always represented that way. Why is it that symbol? We don't know. As she says in Saga when painting aircars:
I settled for a pale blue sky with fluffy white clouds as my background, and then filled it with floating red ♥s. Not much of a statement, I know, unless you think about how there are millions of aircars out there, and they are all a standard simple monochrome. To introduce playfulness and individuality is in itself a kind of subversion. Well, thats if my choice needed any justification.
- Naturally, the ♥ became the band logo of Seattle-based rock group Heart, at least in their original Seventies incarnation as soft-rock country/folk band fronted by hippie chicks. The ♥ became synonymous with sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson, who fronted the group and wrote most of its material. The symbol was downgraded a little after their make-over as 1980's big-haired rock chicks performing stadium rock.
- Hello! Project loves to use these in song titles... Koisuru♡Angel♡Heart, ♡Momoiro Kataomoi♡, Icha♡Icha Summer, Honki Mekimeki♡Toki Mekimeki, Hare Ame Nochi Suki♡, Zettai Tokeru Mondai X = ♡, Renai♥Rider, Ona no Ko no Torishirabe Time♥...
- Then there's the group Odoru♡11.
- The Harts, such as Bret or Owen, typically have a heart symbol with a winged skull in the middle of it.
- Luchador ATM has two heart symbol eye holes cut into his mask.
- Just to emphasize how much of a Girly Girl she had become in Fighting Opera HUSTLE, Erica had these symbols painted on her cheeks.
- Sassy Stephie has gear with the letter S twice on her chest. One is backwards so it forms a heart.
- Shazza McKenzie has a one piece with heart symbols cut into it, bearing the sides of her midriff.
- "La Chica de la Actitud" Roxxy has her name sewn into her ring gear with the "O" being in this shape.
- Castlevania: The various games use hearts as ammunition, mana pickups, and/or money.
- Do It For Me: The collectibles are giant hearts, representing the love between the protagonist and his girlfriend. Or so it seems, but it actually represents the protagonist's unhealthy "love" for his psychotic and manipulative abuser.
- Kingdom of Loathing: It has a "Less-than-three-shaped box", which is aptly named. It is shaped like a heart, and can hold up to 2 items.
- Kingdom Hearts. Hearts are everywhere. They pop up in symbolism, menu icons, and whenever you kill most enemies. The "true" Kingdom Hearts (the combined heart of all worlds) is a heart-shaped MOON!
- Panel de Pon: Heart-shaped panels are a staple.
- Undertale doesn't have a heart symbol in the game's logo for nothing. Character's souls are depicted as heart symbols, including the one that represents the menu cursor and player's hitbox in fight scenes. The broken heart symbol is used to symbolize dying.
- Hearts can be picked up as an item in Who Framed Roger Rabbit; they're used on Dolores to get a hint on where to find a piece of Marvin Acme's will, because you're giving your heart to her.
- DSBT InsaniT: Martha gets a blue heart hairpin as part of her Clothing Switch in 'Store Story'.
- The ghost and his smaller ghost minions the deadbeats from Mystery Skulls Animated all have glowing beating heart shapes on their chests. The ghost's is revealed to be a heart shaped locket which contains a picture of him with his girlfriend from before his death.
- Extra Credits: Multiple times in "The Division - Problematic Meaning in Mechanics":
- My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Summertime Shorts: In "Pet Project", heart symbols start flying all around Sunset Shimmer when she meets her soon-to-be pet gecko Ray.
- In Ava's Demon, once Ava agrees to the pact, we get a heart split in half, with two colors, one side shattered.
- Girl Genius: Used as part of Cardiovascular Love:
- Agatha has several floating hearts when she sees Gil defending her town.
- Agatha is accompanied by floating hearts when she launches herself at Gil to give him a hug when he says he's revived Punch and Judy.
- Violetta produces floating red heats when describing what Agatha and Gil's potential relationship would be like.
- Bangladesh DuPree, of all people, gets a huge floating heart when she meets Vole, a Jägermonster of her taste. More specifically, from hearing his jubilant, bloodthirsty anticipation regarding a war that would devastate the continent.
- The Wasp Eaters gain a cloud of floating little pink hearts when they decide they like Tarvek.
- Queen Larana and Jiminez Hoffmann fill the entire background with floating hearts in the panel where they exchange their first kiss.
- Questionable Content: Dale floats into the coffee shop with trailing floating hearts after he and Marigold get together. The background behind Hannelore fills with floating hearts when she's talking about all the romance around her.
- Zita the Spacegirl has an alien species named Star Hearts (featured in both the web and print versions). They resemble the heart symbol in shape, but are anything but loving, especially when they launch heart attacks.
- In El Goonish Shive a couple extras get hearts above their heads when they think Grace is thinking of playing Undertale only for their hearts to become broken in the next panel as Grace reveals she'll play Deus Ex: Human Revolution instead.
- Sleepless Domain: It shouldn't come as a surprise that the magical girl Heartful Punch is heavily associated with the classic heart symbol. Her Sigil, a type of unique Power Tattoo that every magical girl has, is in the shape of a heart with an explosion inside of it. Stylized heart shapes are also incorporated into her costume, her magical attacks, and on occasion, they can be seen very subtly in her eyes.
- Whateley Universe: There's "an adorable little blonde kid in curls" whose codename is Less Than Three, but if it's intended to be this symbol or not, is unknown, and we don't know why she picked that codename either, presuming that she didn't have it assigned involuntarily.
- Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart: A very common motif in Pure Heart Valley, right up to the mysterious Ruby Pure Heart that protects it. Outside the city, it's seldom seen.
- Naturally, these are everywhere in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- The Powerpuff Girls series debut episode "Monkey See, Doggy Do" featured a variation of the Bat Signal which used pulsating hearts (the standard ending title card for each episode). Also, Blossom's ponytail barrette brandishes a heart on it.
- Punky Brewster: Punky had a small heart embroidered on the right side of her vest.
- The opening titles of Ruby Gloom include some shots of heart symbols with faces and pirate-style crossbones, singing the the title while zooming toward the camera.