El Mariacho: And look! There is a big heart coming out of my head right now! It's kind of painful, actually, but I shall endure the pain... for my brother!
The stylized heart shape, ♥ (or <3 as an emoticon), is a classic visual metaphor. But, that's for the tropes in the Heart index. This page is for when the heart symbol appears and isn't part of any of those tropes.
Something of note: According to The Other Wiki, the exact origin of the ♥ symbol remains controversial; however, its existence as a stylized symbol seems to go back at least to medieval Europe, or maybe ancient Roman North Africa.
Wicked Heart Symbol is a subtrope, for when the heart symbol is associated with villainy.
- AKB0048: Every member of the AKB0048 has a heart-shaped shine in their hair and in their eyes as well. This feature in particular seems to be a manifestation of the potential of a girl to be a future Successor, as it shows up the young Lancastar girls after they witness their first concert. It happens again to another set of young girls after they see their first 00 performance as well.
- Former members have diamonds instead. Justified by the fact that there are Loads And Loadsof Characters, makes it easier for people to just identify who is in and who isn't.
- The Japanese logo for Kaguya-sama: Love Is War features a heart which is usually superimposed over someone's eye on the volume covers. Hearts are also a major motif during the culture festival arc, as there is a legend that if someone give another a heart shaped object during the festival the two of them will be granted eternal love. Said arc's climax has Shirogane showering the school in hundreds of heart shaped balloons as a Grand Romantic Gesture for Kaguya.
- In Conor Kostic's novel Saga: Ghost's symbol is a ♥, and is always represented that way. Why is it that symbol? We don't know. As she says in Saga when painting aircars:
I settled for a pale blue sky with fluffy white clouds as my background, and then filled it with floating red ♥s. Not much of a statement, I know, unless you think about how there are millions of aircars out there, and they are all a standard simple monochrome. To introduce playfulness and individuality is in itself a kind of subversion. Well, thats if my choice needed any justification.
- Naturally, the ♥ became the band logo of Seattle-based rock group Heart, at least in their original Seventies incarnation as soft-rock country/folk band fronted by hippie chicks. The ♥ became synonymous with sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson, who fronted the group and wrote most of its material. The symbol was downgraded a little after their make-over as 1980's big-haired rock chicks performing stadium rock.
- Hello! Project loves to use these in song titles... Koisuru♡Angel♡Heart, ♡Momoiro Kataomoi♡, Icha♡Icha Summer, Honki Mekimeki♡Toki Mekimeki, Hare Ame Nochi Suki♡, Zettai Tokeru Mondai X = ♡, Renai♥Rider, Ona no Ko no Torishirabe Time♥...
- Then there's the group Odoru♡11.
- The Harts, such as Bret or Owen, typically have a heart symbol with a winged skull in the middle of it.
- Luchador ATM has two heart symbol eye holes cut into his mask.
- Just to emphasize how much of a Girly Girl she had become in Fighting Opera HUSTLE, Erica had these symbols painted on her cheeks.
- Sassy Stephie has gear with the letter S twice on her chest. One is backwards so it forms a heart.
- Shazza McKenzie has a one piece with heart symbols cut into it, bearing the sides of her midriff.
- "La Chica de la Actitud" Roxxy has her name sewn into her ring gear with the "O" being in this shape.
- Castlevania: The various games use hearts as ammunition, mana pickups, and/or money.
- Kingdom of Loathing: It has a "Less-than-three-shaped box", which is aptly named. It is shaped like a heart, and can hold up to 2 items.
- Kingdom Hearts. Hearts are everywhere. They pop up in symbolism, menu icons, and whenever you kill most enemies. The "true" Kingdom Hearts (the combined heart of all worlds) is a heart-shaped MOON!
- Panel de Pon: Heart-shaped panels are a staple.
- DSBT InsaniT: Martha gets a blue heart hairpin as part of her Clothing Switch in 'Store Story'.
- The ghost and his smaller ghost minions the deadbeats from Mystery Skulls Animated all have glowing beating heart shapes on their chests. The ghost's is revealed to be a heart shaped locket which contains a picture of him with his girlfriend from before his death.
- In Ava's Demon, once Ava agrees to the pact, we get a heart split in half, with two colors, one side shattered.
- Girl Genius:
- Agatha has several floating hearts when she sees Gil defending her town.
- Agatha is accompanied by floating hearts when she launches herself at Gil to give him a hug when he says he's revived Punch and Judy.
- Violetta produces floating red heats when describing what Agatha and Gil's potential relationship would be like.
- Bangladesh DuPree, of all people, gets a huge floating heart when she meets Vole, a Jägermonster of her taste. More specifically, from hearing his jubilant, bloodthirsty anticipation regarding a war that would devastate the continent.
- The Wasp Eaters gain a cloud of floating little pink hearts when they decide they like Tarvek.
- Queen Larana and Jiminez Hoffmann fill the entire background with floating hearts in the panel where they exchange their first kiss.
- Questionable Content: Dale floats into the coffee shop with trailing floating hearts after he and Marigold get together. The background behind Hannelore fills with floating hearts when she's talking about all the romance around her.
- Whateley Universe: There's "an adorable little blonde kid in curls" whose codename is Less Than Three, but if it's intended to be this symbol or not, is unknown, and we don't know why she picked that codename either, presuming that she didn't have it assigned involuntarily.