A Character sheet for Criminal Girls and its Updated Re-release, Invite Only. Beware of Unmarked Spoilers!
The InstructorThe player character. A young man tasked with leading a group of seven delinquent girls through Hell's Reformation Program, which he accidentally signed up for as a summer job. While he himself has not been sentenced to Hell, his consciousness is sent there while his body sleeps in the mortal world.
- Audience Surrogate: A 'fill in the blanks' and 'insert self' case.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Why the girls end up respecting him so much, especially when granting their wishes.
- Cool Hat: And it never comes off.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He signed up as a volunteer instructor for the Reformation Program completely by accident, but that's not going to stop him from being the best damn instructor in all of Hell.
- Determinator: He refuses to give up on any of the girls during the program even when things turn grim.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Only as a last resort if the girls don't listen to him.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Even after Miu acknowledges his success as an instructor, she still treats him like a know-nothing rookie.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Just barely averted in the first encounter with Himekami in Purgatory.
- Love Interest: Begins dating the girl he chooses to become a Knight in the standard endings.
- Made of Iron: Poor dude takes a lot of punishment, especially from Miu and Ran.
- Mission Control: The girls offer action suggestions in battle and he chooses which one to execute.
- No Name Given: Name him anything you want.
- Non-Action Guy: The only thing that the player character can do in battle is use items on the girls and give orders.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: In voiced clips the girls call him "Sensei", while Ran calls him "Oyaji" (old man).
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Miu praises him as one when she realizes how successful his approach of treating the girls with kindness and understanding has been, compared to her tactic of threatening and belittling them.
- Taking the Bullet: Protects the girls from Himekami's killing blow in Purgatory 1F.
- Unexplained Recovery: Gets hurt to the point of his vocal chords getting charred and being left unable to speak after the Taking the Bullet moment above. By the time of the very next cutscene, he's perfectly fine.
Voiced by: Akiko Hasegawa
A blonde, twin-tailed girl who claims to be a celebrity and fashionista due to her interest in and collection of expensive, brand-name products.
- Alliterative Name: Kyouka Kisaragi.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her second costume.
- BFS: She wields a curved two handed sword that looks like it's as long as she is tall.
- Can't Catch Up: She starts out as one of the better fighters, but as everyone else joins up and learns their skills, her damage output begins to fall off. She makes up for it by being very versatile.
- Compensated Dating: She became a paid escort so she could buy the expensive brand names clothes and accessories and become popular.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Why she became obsessed with earning money and buying expensive accessories.
- It's All About Me: She's very vain and selfish at the start of the game. She gets better.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Decent power and defense, with a variety of damage and support abilities.
- Last-Name Basis: Everyone within the game and the game itself always refers to her as Kisaragi.
- Lethal Chef: The curry she makes during her ending looks less than edible, but it was also her first attempt.
- Naked Apron: Averted. During her ending, she asks the player character if guys find aprons cute. She gets angry when he replies that they like the apron only if nothing else is worn underneath.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Greed. She became a paid escort so she could buy expensive designer clothing and accessories, and continuously lied in order to make her life seem more extravagant than it really was.
- Stripperific: Her second outfit, a tight-fitting bra and thong, is easily the most ridiculously skimpy in the game, one-upped only by Miu. Her first outfit being rather modest makes this especially jarring.
- Twin Tails: Sako and Himekami even call her by that in co-op attacks.
- Tsundere: Even one of Alice's co-op attacks with her has Alice shouting, "Summoning Tsundere!"
Kayoko "Ran" Randou
Voiced by: Mari Hagai
A tall girl who easily flies off the handle upon seeing that the instructor is a man and refuses to listen to anything he says until he manages to not get knocked out by one of her punches.
- Berserk Button: Men in general until she overcomes her past, but what sets her off even more is the camera used to take peep shots of her.
- Boobs of Steel: Not quite as busty or strong as Tomoe, but this applies to her on a defensive scale.
- Color Motif: Red. She has red hair, red eyes, a red scarf, a red zipper, and red outlines on her boots. Her second costume gives her a shield that is partly red.
- Defeat Means Friendship: She only begins to initially listen to the instructor's orders because he withstood one of her punches.
- Heroic BSoD: Aside from the ones shared among the cast when they meet their sinful past selves, Ran nearly has one a little earlier when she recognizes her old school where, as the game puts it, her life was ruined.
- Insult of Endearment: She calls the Instructor "Old Man" and nothing else, even after she warms up to him.
- Leotard of Power: Her second costume, combined with Chainmail Bikini.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: And boy does it...
- Meganeko: The only cast member to wear glasses.
- Rape as Backstory: Her hatred and distrust of men comes from elementary school, when she was stalked and heavily implied to be raped by an older man.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath. After elementary school, she resolved to never let a man hurt her again, so she taught herself to fight and became violently aggressive to the point of attacking innocent men if they so much as talked to women.
- Scarf of Asskicking
- Shock and Awe: Her primary element is lightning.
- Statuesque Stunner: The protagonist notes that she's well over six feet tall, and she's certainly beautiful.
- Stone Wall: She isn't the best at dishing out damage and is one of the slower members of the party, but she can tank physical attacks like no one else.
- Tsundere: Her final request has her say a variation of the classic "i-it's not like I like you or anything" line. Notably, she never actually shows this anywhere else in the game.
Voiced by: Yuko Takayama
A shorter girl with her hair styled in cat-like ears that only cares about the whereabouts and well-being of her twin sister, who went missing at the start of the game.
- Animal Motifs: She has several cat-like mannerisms. One of her solo attack cries is "Neko punch!"
- Anime Hair
- Big Eater: Both her personal ending and the post-game ending reveal that she loves to eat.
- Casual Kink: She's the only girl that doesn't really mind being motivated and while all the girls begin to enjoy it over time, Sako is the most enthusiastic about it.
- Chained by Fashion: Wears a chain on her left hand.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: The Education Block reveals a scene from her past in which she used Yuko's sweaty gym clothes to stimulate herself.
- Expy: Her second costume looks very similar to what Rutee Katrea wears.
- Good Old Fisticuffs
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Played with. All of the praise that Yuko earned for academic achievements? Sako did all the work.
- Kill It with Fire: Her primary element, though it's augmented onto her physical attacks rather than used as a magic attack.
- Lightning Bruiser: The highest health, high speed, and high attack power.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Her short stature doesn't stop her from keeping up with Tomoe and Ran in terms of strength.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She pretends to be stupid in school and makes herself sound silly and childish so that Yuko has to look after her.
- Older Than They Look: She's in high school.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Lust. She has an unhealthy fixation on Yuko, to the point that she was willing to get herself held back in school just so they could stay together.
- Third-Person Person: Much like Yuko, she uses "Sako" as a pronoun throughout much of her dialogue. Subverted, she only talks that way to make herself sound more childish.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Yuko's Girly Girl.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: More purple than blue.
Yuri "Alice" Mizuna
Voiced by: Ai Matayoshi
A quiet, shy girl who claims to have psychic powers..
- A God Am I:Her sinful self claims, at least.
- Alice Allusion: Made very evident by her second outfit.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Since her parents only gave her attention when they were exploiting her powers, she equates being special with being loved.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Evident in her battle quotes. She's also the catalyst for Putting the Band Back Together in the Frost block.
- An Ice Person: Her primary element, but she can also use lightning.
- Cuteness Proximity: She adores cats.
- Improbable Weapon User: She'll use her spellbook as a bludgeon when called upon.
- Magic Nuke: Her most powerful skill is the only single attack in the game capable of doing more than 10,000 damage on its own.
- Purple Is Powerful: Purple is her primary color, and she has the greatest attack output of the girls after Tomoe.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Pride. While she has legitimate psychic abilities, they aren't nearly as powerful as her parents claim. This led to her going along with their scamming people and fabricating miracles in order to continue the charade.
- Squishy Wizard: She can utterly destroy enemies and bosses, but good luck keeping her alive.
- Third-Person Person: As evidenced above.
- Token Mini-Moe: The youngest party member and downright adorable.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: She went along with her parents' increasingly unreasonable demands and religious scams because she was afraid of disappointing them.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dark purple.
Voiced by: Azumi Asakura
Sako's younger twin sister and one of the escapees who later joins the party in the Morass block after a small series of fetch quests.
- Anime Hair
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Averted, as she is not as brilliant as people think, but is definitely lazy.
- Chained by Fashion: Wears a chain on her right hand.
- Cute and Psycho: Played for laughs. The others note that she seems a bit too enthusiastic about using magic to cripple and debilitate convicts, but that's as far as it goes.
- Cute Witch: On top of being a magic user and initially wielding broom, her second outfit is very cute and frilly, making her look like she walked out of a Magical Girl anime.
- Glacier Waif: Not physically, but Yuko is able to tank practically any magical attack sent her way — even those that would completely wipe the party otherwise.
- Improbable Weapon User: She fights with a broom. In her second costume, she wields a giant key.
- Light 'em Up
- The Medic: She is the dedicated healer.
- Older Than They Look: Like Sako, she's actually in high school.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Sloth. She often says she's too tired or weak to do something and often asks Sako or the Instructor to do it on her behalf. She's aware of Sako's willingness to help her so she exploited it to take credit for things she didn't do.
- Sleep Cute: She sleeps with a teddy bear.
- Third-Person Person: Much like Sako, but not nearly as much as Alice.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Girly Girl to Sako's Tomboy.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Her ending reveals that it's strawberries.
- White Magician Girl: Though she's capable of offensive spells as well.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Unmistakably pink.
Voiced by: Yumi Hara
A beautiful young woman who has the ability to attract the attention of those around her and one of the escapees who later joins the party in the Morass block.
- Absolute Cleavage: She wears a kimono-styled prisoner outfit that shows off a whole lot of cleavage. Her second outfit showcases even more!
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Not as evident in-game, rather it's the reason she's in the reform program.
- Boobs of Steel: The bustiest character in the party and has the highest physical attack stat.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Tomoe weaponizes this as her Extra Skill, which gives her a chance to confuse enemies. Additionally, as part of the story, she gets herself all sweaty in order to make her outfit translucent, so she can lure out a perverted Convict.
- Expy: She bears more than a passing resemblance to another Tomoe.
- Glass Cannon: The game outright states that she's sacrificed all of her defense for offense in her tutorial.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: In true form, she keeps her sword sheathed until it's time to make a single strike and she has instant-death skills to boot.
- Informed Attribute: Her fatal flaw is much less evident than the other girls'.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Her weapon of choice.
- Lonely at the Top: It's implied that the reason she started manipulating everyone was because the constant praise and idolization made her feel bored and detached.
- Magic Sword: Can augment her sword with ice or lightning with Alice or Ran's help.
- Manipulative Bitch: She's fully aware of her own charisma and the effect she has on people, and uses it to destroy other people's relationships for fun.
- Mighty Glacier: The slowest character in the party, but the highest physical damage output, bar none.
- Noodle Incident: Of all the girls, the exact nature of her sin is the most vague. All that's revealed is that she made her cousin's fiancé leave her at the altar. How she did so is never elaborated on.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: As part of being a Manipulative Bitch, she often acts clueless while playing people like a fiddle.
- One-Hit Kill: Has several skills that had a chance of inflicting this, and it works on quite a few regular monsters.
- Rapunzel Hair: It reaches her ankles!
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She's fully aware of how revealing her outfit is, and she openly flirts with the protagonist.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Gluttony, but not in the traditional sense. Instead, she "feeds" on emotionally manipulating people, causing others grief and strife for no reason other than her own amusement.
- Stripperiffic: And she knows it.
Makoto "Shin" Hatsurai
Voiced by: Mayumi Yoshida
A self-proclaimed genius mathematician and tactician who earned a doctorate at 17 and one of the escapees who later joins the party in the Morass block.
- Assist Character: Her entire kit revolves around having the other girls follow up with one of their attacks whenever she uses the appropriate OPR (Operation) spell. Using OPR Fire, for example, will cast a fire spell which is then followed up with Sako charging in with a Fire Punch.
- Badass Longcoat: Her second outfit.
- Berserk Button: Do not touch her precious laptop!
- Blatant Lies: Before the party can examine a chalkboard any further, Shin quickly erases its contents. She claims, "The chalkboard was dirty, so I felt the need to clean it." Said "dirty" chalkboard contained insults and derogatory comments aimed at her.
- Casting a Shadow: Her non-elemental magic uses mainly dark orbs.
- Cool Hat: She gets a cute beret as part of her second outfit.
- Death Dealer: She fights with a deck of cards.
- Emerald Power: She has green hair and eyes and wears a lot of green.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Her "Operation" skills, which allow other party members to use their skills in sync with hers at no cost.
- Gamer Girl: What she was in the mortal world, which is evident early on when she uses gaming terms like "Game Master" and "Flag". This allows her to be fairly Genre Savvy...some of the time.
- Genre Savvy: She picks up on some of the mechanics used in the Reformation Program ahead of the rest of the group and makes the connection between Hell matching its portrayal from Dante's Inferno.
- Hidden Buxom: She appears to be about as well endowed as Alice, but then it's her turn to be motivated...
- Hikikomori: As her sinful self put it, she achieved an entirely brand new level of MMO addiction. The catalyst to break her out of her Heroic BSoD is the hot meal her mother left outside her room every day.
- I Just Want to Be Special: She pretended to be her MMO character upon realizing she was in the Reformation program and saw it as a new beginning, hoping to separate herself from every aspect of who she was when she was alive.
- Improbable Weapon User: Cards, though they're infused with magic.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: She clearly doesn't have great social skills after joining the party. She was also a bully-magnet in high school, to the point of dropping out and becoming a shut-in.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Despite being well versed in RPG tropes and conventions, she continually picks the incorrect switch to open the gate that separates her and the party before she joins.
- Never My Fault: At first, especially during the events that lead to her joining the party, but she quickly gets better.
- Older Than They Look: While she looks like she should be in high school, she's actually a 20-year-old high school dropout.
- Otaku: She loves her pop culture. Used as a derogatory term against her by her schoolmates.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Envy. She was heavily bullied in school because of her hobbies and began to hate herself, eventually dropping out and becoming a shut-in, despite her incredible academic potential. She spent years playing net games in her room because they let her pretend she was someone she thought was better than herself, ignoring how badly it was hurting her family.
- She's Got Legs: And sits in a position to show them off in the Infirmary. Even more prevalent after becoming a Knight.
- Tsundere: While not looking like a typical one, she's just as much of one as, if not more than, Kisaragi.
- Ungrateful Bastard: She doesn't like to admit when she needed help. It's the nature of her sin. Being a shut-in and wasting her talents to become a game addict is sad, but what made it wrong was how she leeched off her family's unconditional love to do it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green hair. Some portrayals show it with a hint of blue too.
Voiced by: Mutsumi Tamura
The Instructor's superior and a veteran instructor in her own right. She initially serves as expositor on how to guide the girls through the Reformation program but ends up playing a much larger role.
- Alliterative Name
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Because she made significant progress before failing in her attempt during the Reformation Program, the committee gave her the choice between eternal damnation or becoming an instructor permanently. Either way, she was stuck in Hell.
- The Atoner: Wants to make amends with Himekami for placing the entire burden of the Knighthood program onto her.
- Bare Your Midriff: Once she's de-aged.
- Cool Hat: In both her instructor and third outfits.
- Dressed Like a Dominatrix: Her third outfit and very fitting for her personality.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Her primary approach to getting delinquents to fall in line.
- Fountain of Youth: When she joins the party, she's de-aged to how old she was when she first entered Hell.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Her real personality is a lonely wallflower. Her inability to make friends and interact with people in life caused her to adopt her Drill Sergeant Nasty persona when she arrived in Hell, as she believed being assertive and speaking her mind would make people notice her.
- My Greatest Second Chance: First, her chance to help redeem Himekami after her failure to make her a Knight. Second, her own chance to make another attempt at completing the Reformation Program for herself.
- No Social Skills: The reason she's always snippy and harsh with everyone is she just doesn't know how to talk to other people, and she thinks being aggressive is the best way to get your point across.
- Promoted to Playable: Post-game, in the remake.
- She's Got Legs: They're the primary focus during Motivation Time.
- Stripperific: She manages to give Kisaragi a run for her money once she gets her third costume. Hell, her left breast is only covered by a loose shawl that's one light breeze away from a wardrobe malfunction!
Voiced by: Fumiko Uchimura
A young woman encountered by the group in the Frost block who claims to have been separated from her own Reformation group. In reality, she's an innocent soul that was denied going to heaven in order to be a candidate for Knighthood in the early stages of the Reformation Program.
- Apologizes a Lot: Even apologizes for not making a formal apology.
- Bad Butt: Despite her power, she is the most prone to crying out of the girls and, even after her defeat, she apologizes for "being a meanie".
- Bare Your Midriff: In both her costumes.
- Big Bad: Of the main story.
- Blessed with Suck: She was chosen to become a Knight and gain immense power... except she was denied passage into heaven, despite being without sin, and forced to keep being perfect while Miu and seven delinquent sinners heckled her.
- Easily Forgiven: Once the protagonist and girls realize just how much pain she's gone through.
- Expy: Her hairstyle and weapon selection make her look very much like Mitsuru Kirijou.
- Extreme Doormat: Her big failing is she never stands up for herself. The stress of always having to be the "perfect" girl for her parents and friends, and later for Knighthood, is what eventually made her snap.
- HeelFace Turn: After she's redeemed.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: In the post-game party.
- Last-Name Basis: Much like Kisaragi. Only Alice calls her by her first name.
- Magic Knight: With both magic and physical skills.
- Not So Different: Her sinful past self says this when it comes to her complaining about her home life and gossipy friends.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Covers her left eye.
- Promoted to Playable: Post-game, in the remake along with Miu.
- Rapunzel Hair: Reaches all the way down to her legs.
- Royal Rapier: Though not technically royalty, her name means "Divine Princess" and she fits the general aesthetic, especially once she gets her second costume.
- Underboobs: In her second outfit.
- Underwear of Power: Her red panties are clearly visible through the wide gap in her costume.
- Walking Spoiler: Nearly everything about her gives major insight to later plot developments.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Unlike all the other girls, she wasn't at risk of being damned. The Knighthood program simply needed someone who was without sin and she was chosen. The abuse she got from all the other sinners and Miu constantly pushing her to keep going drove her right into the Despair Event Horizon, leading to the annihilation of the other sinners and her plan to destroy the entire Reformation Program.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pink hair, complete with rose hairpin.