Characters: Valkyria Chronicles
Expect unmarked spoilers ahead!
open/close all folders
Gallian Militia, Regiment 3, Squad 7 (Protagonists) Main Characters
Voiced by Susumu Chiba in Japanese and Dave Wittenberg in English.The son of the legendary General Gunther, Welkin just wanted to live a quiet life as a teacher. This plan gets sidetracked when The Imperials invade his hometown of Bruhl. Welkin quickly adapts and joins the Squad 7 militia as its leader. Using his scientific knowledge, he quickly becomes a strategist rivaling his father and organizes Squad 7 into the Imperials' greatest threat. In combat, Welkin generally doesn't fight directly, and instead gives orders to the squad from his father's tank, the Edelweiss.
- The Ace: Played with/subverted. While Welkin is a tactical genius and incredible battlefield leader, he's not the best at actual soldiering. When on missions outside the Edelweiss, he's average at best when compared to other Scouts.
- Ancestral Weapon: The Edelweiss. Although granted, said weapon was originally a prototype made during the First Europan War that simply didn't reach mass production by the time it ended.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: His knowledge of animals and nature in general has often been useful for creating impressive strategies.
- Babies Ever After: The ending shows that he and Alicia have a daughter, who they named Isara in memory of the other Isara.
- Badass Bookworm: He doesn't look like one, but his tactical and operative planning wins every single victory for Squad 7.
- Berserk Button: Do not mess with Alicia.
- Beware the Nice Ones: His reaction when he found out that Faldio was the one who sniped Alicia? Oooh, boy...
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: If he says you look like a beetle, don't worry, that's a compliment.
- Catch Phrase: Squad 7, move out!
- Calling Your Attacks
- Welkin: THIS IS AN ORDER!
- Celibate Hero: More because he tries not to focus on sexual topics than by deliberate ignorance, and in fact seems quite shy about embracing his own sexuality. It gets so bad that at one point in the anime Faldio practically asks him if he has any sex drive at all.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Often. One notable example, he compliments Alicia's body armour by comparing it to the carapace of an insect, and then trails off from there. In the anime, he's even more scatterbrained like this.
- Cooldown Hug: To Alicia at several points. He even gives her a Cooldown Proposal towards the end.
- Establishing Character Moment: Talking to the fish before sketching them. Eventually turned into a Chekhov's Hobby.
- Expy: Of Yang Wen-li of Legend of Galactic Heroes, although Welkin's not lazy or a drunk. However, their similar approach to strategy and idealism are clear giveaways that Welkin's based on him.
- Happily Married: In the ending, he marries Alicia and has a daughter.
- The Hero: A textbook example.
- In the Blood: He doesn't want to be, but he's adaptable.
- Military Maverick: Welkin usually comes up with incredibly unorthodox strategies to win his battles.
- Nature Hero: Odd variation. He's a nature otaku, and every military strategy he uses is related to or inspired by nature in some way. Also, he's shown to be happiest when he be in a completely natural environment, just studying the wildlife.
- Nice Guy: Many so-called heroes would have much to learn from Welkin.
- The Power of Love: One of Welkin's hidden Potentials is even called this: all his stats are raised when Alicia is in battle with him.
- The Strategist: The most powerful weapon in the entire Gallian army is Lieutenant Gunther's brain.
- Tank Goodness: Commander of the Edelweiss.
Voiced by Marina Inoue in Japanese and Colleen O'Shaughnessey in English.Born and bread as a baker, Alicia was reluctant to go to war, but joined the militia to protect her hometown of Bruhl. After being rescued by Welkin, she joins Squad 7 as his second-in-command and love interest. She eventually learns that she is a descendant of the Valkyrur, and her inheritance of their powers make her one of Gallia's biggest assets. She doesn't take it too well, but she got over it with some help from Welkin.
- Action Girl: The standout case in a game chock full of them!
- Babies Ever After: With Welkin.
- Badass Adorable: Well, would you expect a girly girl like her to be a Game Breaking Action Girl who curb-stomps Selvaria?
- Beleaguered Assistant: Especially in the anime, although it's more due to that she tends to get worked up over Welkin's hijinks easily.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Occasionally serves as this for Welkin.
- Dungeon Bypass: Discover all of Alicia's potentials. Issue her an "Unlock Potential" order. Win the game.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Once she discovers her Valkyria powers later in the game.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: She's more of a baker.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Good Thing You Can Heal: She gets over her injuries rather quickly. Suspiciously quickly...
- Heroic BSOD: After discovering her Valkyria powers.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Subverted. She planned on using the Valkyria's flame to sacrifice herself and destroy the Marmota, but Welkin talked her out of it.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: After discovering her Valkyria powers. Welkin fixes this by reminding her that even if she has these powers, she doesn't have to use them and she can still follow her dreams once the war ends.
- The Lancer: Welkin's Number Two.
- Lightning Bruiser: When fully-levelled and given the best rifle in the game.
- Mysterious Waif: Depending on how you look at her.
- Person of Mass Destruction: As a Valkyria, she is capable of destroying any soldier or tank with ease.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She and Welkin hook up after the events of the main game.
- Team Chef: She apparently cooks meals for the squad at various times.
- Took a Level in Badass: She was always competent from the start, but when her Valkyria powers awaken, she becomes a BEAST.
- Tranquil Fury: When she first awakens as a Valkyria. To add insult to injury, Alicia didn't appear to be in full control of her body, yet managed to deliver a Curb-Stomp Battle to Selvaria, while dodging all of the latter's attacks with minimal effort.
- Unwanted False Faith: Finds the reaction of many people in the army/militia to her Valkyrur heritage to be rather disturbing.
- Tsundere: In the anime and manga, but not in the original game.
Brigitte "Rosie" Stark
Voiced by Megumi Toyoguchi (game) and Junko Minagawa (anime) in Japanese and Hedy Burress in English.Corporal and Shocktrooper. Rosie was a singer, but the war forced her to join the front lines of the militia effort. Because of certain events in her past, she hates Darcsens, and this instantly causes friction between her and Isara. Witnessing Isara's enthusiasm and bravery and seeing a Darcsen concentration camp do a lot to change her opinion, and Isara's death completely shatters her negative opinion of Darcsens.
- Action Girl: Such an Action Girl that Edy gets crazy jealous of her, among other reasons.
- Badass: She's a tough lady.
- Badass Boast: "Oh, they'll be running. I'm a damn shocktrooper."
- Cool Big Sis: She even has it listed as a potential.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Fiery Redhead: Loves to be in the thick of it in combat, and is prone to flying off the handle.
- Glamorous Wartime Singer: Rosie used to be a barmaid before the war, but still sings occasionally. She remarks that it was hardly glamourous though. She gets back into singing on a full-time basis after the war.
- Jerkass: Initially. However, after a little Character Development...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She gets over her hatred of Darcsens and warms up to the rest of the squad, although she's still pretty gruff.
- Odango Hair
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Rosie's real name Brigitte Stark is All There in the Manual. As a civilian she was a bartender and singer, and "Rosie" was apparently given to her by her regulars.
- Shipper on Deck: For both Welkin/Alicia AND Eleanor/Largo
Voiced by Hisao Egawa (game) and Kenji Nomura (anime) in Japanese and Fred Tatasciore in English.Largo is a sergeant, and a veteran of the First Europan War. He served with Captain Eleanor Varrot and her lover Frederick, and still harbors a crush for her during the events of the game. Largo was at first hesitant of Welkin's leadership, but he quickly becomes one of Welkin's most trusted and supportive soldiers. Largo is also a sort of father figure to the rest of the members of Squad 7.
- Anchored Ship: Harbours feelings for Eleanor Varrot, but hasn't said anything about it due to the touchy subject of Frederick.
- Badass: Tanks? Pffft.
- The Big Guy: A Class 4.
- Berserk Button: Don't threaten the vegetables. Seriously.
- Beta Couple: With Eleanor.
- Call to Agriculture: Largo always had a dream to have a vegetable garden.
- Captain Smooth and Sergeant Rough: The Rough to Eleanor Varrot's Smooth.
- Cool Old Guy: Ehhhh... Sort of. He's in his late thirties, compared to the rest of the cast, who are mostly teenagers.
- Happily Married: To Eleanor at the end.
- Heroic Second Wind: He has the Big Hearted potential, which keeps him alive past the point that he should have died."Ahh, a little spit'll hold me together!"
- Hot-Blooded Sideburns: Largo sports an impressive pair, and he lives up to them well.
- The Lancer: Both literally (being a Lancer class) and to Welkin.
- Old Soldier: He's even peeved at first at taking orders from the much younger Welkin... until Welkin pulls a Crowning Moment of Awesome so massively badass that Largo literally has to shut up and follow orders.
- Serious Business: Largo. Vegetables. That is all.
- Trademark Favorite Food: "VEGE-TA-BLES!"
- Turn the Other Cheek: Although he was good friends with Frederick, unlike Eleanor, he did not go seeking revenge on Geld.
Voiced by Houko Kuwashima in Japanese and Laura Bailey in English.Daughter of the genius Darcsen engineer Theimer, and adopted daughter of General Gunther, hence making her Welkin's adopted sister. Isara is gentle and good-hearted, and very brave for such a small girl. She is also an absolute engineering genius, constantly coming up with innovations during the game that save Squad 7 countless times, including waterproofing the Edelweiss for immersion and creating smoke mortars (which border on Game Breaker territory). She gets gunned down by a sniper, in the game's definitive Tear Jerker moment. Prepare a hanky.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Not a kinder soul in Squad 7. Except when she's gunning down a fully armed enemy soldier in the beginning of the game, or piloting a giant-ass battle tank."I will thank you to watch your tongue in this house. You have to leave. Now."
- Cute Clumsy Girl: During the beach trip, she smacks the other players in a beach ball game no less than 3 times.
- Disappeared Dad: The Design Archives states that her parents died in a car crash.
- Famed In-Story: Squad 7 never forgets Isara. Welkin and Alicia even name their daughter after her.
- Go Out with a Smile: Just to complete her death scene.
- The Heart: OH SO MUCH. She's so much The Heart that her death is what motivates Squad 7 to REALLY glue together as a family, and it is her memory that drives them to continue on. Rosie is DEVASTATED by her death.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Feared water in her childhood, according to Welkin, and it's implied that this may still be true.
- Wrench Wench: Isara is a really sweet, feminine and gentle version of this.
Voiced by Kazuya Nakai in Japanese and Steve Blum in English.Darcsen engineer who helps Squad 7 as an informant. Squad 7 first meets him inside one of the Empire's Darcsen concentration camps. He does a lot to change Rosie's perception of Darcsens, and proves a resourceful, intelligent ally. Eventually, he joins Squad 7 as a tank driver, piloting the tiny-yet-powerful light tank, the Shamrock.
- Badass: Anyone who custom builds a tank and pilots it into battle himself qualifies.
- Eyes Always Shut: Well one of them anyways. It opens during a few cutscenes.
- Friend to All Children: Spends his time entertaining children while off-duty. In the ending, he opens Fouzen Toy Factory.
- Gentle Giant: Lampshaded when Ellet calls him a "grizzly bear", Zaka replies that he'd rather think himself as a "teddy bear".
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: He is proud of being a Darcsen, he even paint the Shamrock with Darcsen pattern.
- Turn the Other Cheek: Doesn't believe in revenge, even when most of his people are burnt to death inside a concentration camp, saying it won't bring them back to life.
- The Sixth Ranger: He joins up quite a bit later in the game, and traditionally fits the standard slot.
Voiced by Grey DeLisle in English.
- Action Girl: Just like in her original game.
- Canon Foreigner: From Skies of Arcadia, along with Vyse and the Medic.
- Fiery Redhead: Red headed and Hot-Blooded.
- Girlish Pigtails
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: Her phrase when calling the medic is basically this trope.
- Ship Tease: With Vyse.
- Dumb Blonde: She's The Ditz, and she's blonde. Pretty self-explanatory.
- Teen Pregnancy: In her epilogue.
- Valley Girl: Even if she's killed, she keeps this up.
- Casanova Wannabe: Acts like a ladies man, but due to his chronic fatigue, he can't even stay out late on dates.
Voiced by Kate Higgins in English.
- Belly Dancer: Her passion, before and after the war.
- The Drifter: Wanders from town to town as an entertainer.
- Ms. Fanservice: In-universe.
- The Tease: Just listen to her dialogue.
- Token Minority: Freesia is pretty clearly Romani (or the local equivalent, anyway).
- Badass Beard: Quite a nice one.
- Badass Teacher: Even opens a school for underprivileged children after the war.
- Cool Old Guy: OK, he's 37, but that's still much older than most of the squad members.
- Berserk Button: "You will NOT harm my people!"
- Beware the Nice Ones: "Though a placid man, he fights ferociously to protect his loved ones."
- Genius Bruiser: He may be a schoolteacher, but he's pretty tough even by soldier standards. Most notably, he's got the highest HP of all the Scouts.
- Happily Married: To an unnamed wife.
- Stone Wall: Oddly for his class. It's even one of his potentials!
- Submissive Badass: He follows Welkin's orders loyally.
- True Companions: With the squad's other Darcsens.
- Afraid of Needles: Due to a close encounter with a stag deer.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Has the Impatient potential
Voiced by Nolan North in English.
- Badass Boast: Plenty."I wrote the book on trench warfare!""Hold still and smile for the flash!""I can dodge bullets, no problem!"
- Cool Old Guy: He's middle-aged and a veteran of the First Europan War.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Played with. He's heavily scarred, but he's not really a bad guy.
- Optional Party Member: You get him by beating the game
- Red Baron: Known as "the mole" or "that damned mole," depending on which side you talk to.
- Sergeant Rock: His ego is considerable, but Musaad is a seasoned warrior. Among EW1 veterans, he is considered a living legend.
- Wrote the Book: See Badass Boast.
Voiced by Grey DeLisle in English.
- Action Girl: It helps that she has the "Born Leader" potential.
- Badass Bookworm: She was actually a classmate of Welkin's back at the university, and she's
- Cannot Spit It Out: Towards Welkin, mainly out of pride.
- Hopeless Suitor: She's harbored a crush on Welkin since their university days, but her reluctance to tell him means he hasn't noticed a thing.
- Hot Librarian: She could lose those glasses and let her hair down, but... she doesn't really need to.
- Hot Scientist: Goes on to continue her studies of microorganisms, eventually discovery a new, medically valuable bacteria that she chooses to name after "a certain EWII hero."
- Meganekko: Though a lot more assertive than the norm.
Voiced by Liam O Brien in English.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Gender Inverted. Does NOT like Welkin being close to Alicia.
- Hypocritical Humor: Wonders how Alicia can like "a rube like him," except him and Welkin come from the same town and Welkin spent most of his young adult life studying in the capital.
- What Does She See in Him?: See above.
Voiced by Kathryn Feller in English
- Cloudcuckoolander: Anyone who yells "Yay, happy grass!!" in the middle of a battle certainly qualifies.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She has the Klutz potential."Ooopsie! I dropped my bullets!"
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: When activating 'Full HP Recovery': "Wowee, I feel all tingly!" Okaaay...
- Genki Girl
- Nice Hat
- No Sense of Direction: Invoked in her death quote."I hope I can... make it to heaven... I have no sense of direction anyhow..."
- The Klutz: Often lose her grenade for some reason. Though this works both ways, she sometimes can step on mines without setting them off.
Voiced by Rie Tozuka in Japanese and Megan Hollingshead in English.
- Apologetic Attacker: Her biography basically defines her as a mellow person, and has the (not-exactly-useful) "Humanitarian" potential to back it up. That doesn't stop her from shouting words and doing things that contradict each other while in combat, since she is yelling things indignantly while carrying out Welkin's orders under obligation by law.. And FYI, also check out Jane for her apparent mirror-reverse.
- Ill Girl: She suffers from anemia, if her DLC skirmish mission is any indication. She frightens herself unconscious after worrying about what creepy Imperials may be crawling around in the dark. She passes out again if you beat the mission with an A-rank.Oh, dear... Th-the blood... rushed... to my head.
Mnngh. Ms. Medic. Ms. Mediiiiic!
- The Load: Kind of borders on this, thanks to her "Humanitarian" potential, which keeps her from getting the job done.
- [Non-Action Guy: Gender Inverted, which really doesn't help her case when there's a war going on.
- Ojou: She's a rich tycoon's daughter.
- Reluctant Warrior
- Technical Pacifist:Susie: (Before filling the enemy's skull with lead;) "Sorry if this hurts!"Susie: (Just before grenading the enemy to bits;) "I'm a pacifist!"
- Heterosexual Life-Partners / Those Two Guys: With Ted
- The Nicknamer
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Those Two Guys: with Ted
Voiced by Roger Craig Smith in English.
- Ambiguously Bi: He's the only character with both the "Fancies Men" and "Fancies Women" Potentials. Also, when you heal him, regardless of whether it's a guy or a girl healing him, he says "I could just kiss you!"
- Bond One-Liner: Expected of someone constantly in "performance mode":"I'll knock 'em dead!""Hi, I'm Ted.""I guarantee this one'll slay ya.""Thank you. Thank youuu."
- Heterosexual Life-Partners / Those Two Guys: With Melville
- Must Make Her Laugh: His profile mentions that he's tried time and again to make Marina laugh. He doesn't succeed if the Encyclopedia Exposita is any indication.
- My Name Is Inigo Montoya: Played for Laughs. When he attacks an enemy, he'll greet them.Hi! I'm Ted!
- Nice Guy: Lends moral support to the rest of the group, according to his profile.
- Plucky Comic Relief: A born comedian, he assumes this role in the squad of his own accord.
- The Tease: A rare male example of this trope.Ted: (being healed with Ragnaid;) "I could just kiss you!"
- Awesome but Impractical: She's the only member of the squad to have the Chameleon ability, which is essentially an advanced version of the more common Stealth potential. Yet as nice as that sounds on paper, like Stealth, the list of scenarios in which it would be useful (i.e taking fire from an enemy that doesn't realize they're shooting at you) is rather small.
- Not a Morning Person: Described this way in her file, due to being a heavy night owl. This contributes to her firing accuracy being just as sharp on night maps.
Voiced by Roger Craig Smith in English.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: His hair is black in the anime, and the lens of his goggle eyepatch is tinted grayish green as apposed to its usual pinkish red.
- Badass: He's one of the best Shocktroopers in the game, and his personality reflects that.
- Bullet Dancing"Dance, punk!"
- Canon Foreigner: From Skies of Arcadia, along with Aika and the Medic.
- The Determinator: Of course. He wouldn't be Vyse if he wasn't.Vyse: (being shot at by a number of Imperial soldiers;) "WHOOEE! OUR HERO'S IN TROUBLE NOW! HA HAAA!!"
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: In the anime.
- Eyepatch of Power: Granted, it has a clear part so he can see out of it, but it's no coincidence that he has an eyepatch and is one of the best Shocktroopers in the game.
- Hero of Another Story: Well, obviously.
- Hot-Blooded: Of course.
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: One of the modelers said when designing him, they assumed he'd be at least 24 by the events of this game, yet he seems to be stuck "17 forever."
- Ship Tease: With the scout Aika.
- Sociopathic Hero: He definitely has shades of this. Just listen to him laughing and cheering as he guns down Imperials.
- Walking the Earth: He and Aika travel the globe in search of adventure, according to the Encyclopedia Exposita. In his ending, he and Aika leave on a boat one morning and both are never seen or heard from again.
- Loners Are Freaks: Even extends to one of her potentials.
- Mad Bomber: She has all the hallmarks of one, be it her introduction ("heheh Ka-boom! heheh") her background and motivations for joining the milita (accidentally blew up her house, and joined so she could test out some of her creations.) or her epilogue ( becomes part of the Gallian military R&D division, where her pieces of work are described as 'potent' and 'very effective' but too unstable for use by any sane soldier.)
- Nice Hat: Everyone thinks she keeps a bomb under it.
- The Eeyore: He eventually self-published a gloomy memoir called "I Think I Can't," which ended up selling quite successfully.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: His excessive tinkering with his guns causes them to jam often.
- The Perfectionist: May overlap with Super OCD, since his obsessions with minor details frequently leads to his downfall.
- Shrinking Violet: Another rare male example.
Voiced by Roger Craig Smith in English.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde
- Multi Coloured Hair
- Mythology Gag: "Alex" was the project name for Skies of Arcadia. Naturally, he's friends with Vyse and Aika.
- Jumped at the Call: Always enthusiastic and tends to jump in feet-first, regardless of danger.
Voiced by Kanae Itō in Japanese.
- Action Girl: It's particularly surprising with her, since she's 12!
- Badass Adorable: Lisp or no, she's packing a huge MG and she'll fill you full of holes.
- Little Miss Badass: The youngest enlisted trooper at age 12.
- Magikarp Power: Possibly. All her starting potentials are negative, but her unlockable one is very good, and at higher levels she has access to the Ultimate Damage potential.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: Aw, isn't she just the cutest little shocktrooper ever?
Voiced by Grey DeLisle in English.
- Battle Couple: With Karl.
- Deadpan Snarker: "You're colorful as ever, Homer."
- Lady of War: She's certainly graceful and noble, and is wonderfully effective in a fight.
- Only One Name: Like all the Darcsen characters.
- Optional Party Member: One of five unlockable characters if certain conditions are fulfilled. You need to do something very specific in a mission or skirmish with Karl in order to be able to recruit her. To acquire Lynn, Karl's HP must hit 0 during an operation - regardless of whether Karl is rescued by a medic or not afterwards, Lynn's bio states that she enlisted when she heard her lover was in danger.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: With Karl again. Eventually, they become Happily Married.
Voiced by Yui Kano in Japanese and Megan Hollingshead in English.
- Action Girl: One of the reasons for her one-sided rivalry with Rosie.
- Brown Note: Played for Laughs. Her singing kills her own teammates. It's THAT bad.
- A Day in the Limelight: The Edy Brigade DLC.
- Dreadful Musician: Wants to be an Idol Singer, but finds out she's tone deaf; so she opts to be an actress instead.
- Epic Fail: She treats her teammates to a song if you earn an A rank in her DLC mission. A large yellow FAIL appears on screen as a Unsound Effect when she starts. It acts as a Brown Note to her teammates.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Idiot Hero: Edy in her DLC, which surprises the people who thought she'd be more of the Alpha Bitch.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Leeroy Jenkins: The entire basis of the Edy Detachment DLC is due to Edy doing just this. However, since she has the Panicky potential, you're not encouraged to pull this with her in actual gameplay.
- Edy: What?! Since when was any of this MY fault?Jann: Maybe the part where you charged after those imps, screaming like a banshee.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: When activating her Melee Skills potential:"I hope you're ready for my close-up!"
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Homer.
- Ship Tease: With Homer again. And if this is anything to go by, then it also counts as Single Woman Seeks Good Man
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Edy's attitude towards Rosie. When she heard that Rosie got shot, she runs across the map to make sure she's alright.
- Tsundere: Type B, but even her deredere side can be pretty abrasive.
- Unknown Rival: Edy has a one-sided rivalry with fellow Glamorous Wartime Singer Rosie, and thinks Rosie's fame is impeding her own path to stardom. Rosie has no idea about any of this.
- Berserk Button: A part of the reason for his Lancer Killer potential is based on the fact that they "dare to attack a tank."
- The Casanova""Well... Hello, my lovelies." (activating Fancies Women)"Edy/Freesia/Audrey! Your knight is here!"
- Tank Goodness: He gets a bit too enthusiastic about protecting the tanks.
Voiced by Jack Fletcher in English
- Power Trio: With Jane and Oscar.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge"Hate Imps!"
- Turns Red: Have Kamikaze ability
- Walking Shirtless Scene: An Informed Attribute, sadly. Or not.
- Ax-Crazy: She's rather violent and unhinged.
- Berserk Button: The mere sight of an Imperial gets her almost frothing at the mouth with bloodlust.
- Combat Sadomasochist
- Dark Action Girl: One of those rare anti-heroic examples.
- Defiant to the End: Upon her death."Damn you... Imps... I'll haunt the filthy lot of ya..."
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Becomes one when the war is over.
- Mad Eye: In the animation when her "Sadist" potential triggers.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: She must've really liked that flower shop of hers....
- Mook Horror Show: She appears to enjoy inflicting this on the Imperials.
- Power Trio: With Hannes and Oscar.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
- Sociopathic Hero: She likes killing Imperials a little too much.
- Sociopathic Soldier: "Mmmm, scream for me!"
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: With her eventual husband in the epilogue.
- Badass Grandpa: 65 years old and still quite the asskicker.
- Identical Stranger: His Alicia Hater potential stems from her resemblance to the daughter he lost in EW1.
- Old Soldier: The oldest in the squad at 65, in fact. His Bad Back potential came from an injury in the first war.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: Her single greatest passion lies in crafting jewelry and metal accessories.
- Pastimes Prove Personality: A decidedly non-glamorous example of a jewelry-crafter.
- Shrinking Violet: So extreme that she freezes up when being sighted by more than 5 enemies. This is considered one of the most detrimental potentials in the game.
- The Ditherer: Prevented him from his becoming his preferred class as either a Sniper or Engineer. It shows up as one of his potentials too, with his accuracy dropping when there are too many enemies in the vicinity (he's unable to pick which one to fire at).
Voiced by Steve Blum in English.
- Badass: He's a very good Lancer, and in the epilogue, he takes over Gallia's underworld.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Though it's more due to his lone wolf nature."Girls just get in the way."
- Neighborhood Friendly Gangsters: Used to be a gangster before he was thrown in the militia.
- Rated M for Manly: A tough gangster turned anti-tank trooper
Voiced by Grey DeLisle in English.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Appears to be stuck permanently in lazy-weekend-afternoon mode.
- Heir to the Dojo: Her father, a fencing instructor to nobility recommended her enlistment. She eventually follows in his footsteps.
- Idiot Savant: She's described as being able to master nearly anything, once she's built up enough steam. She eventually gets over the idiot part and her successes in the war and combat prowess sees her become a member of Cordelia's royal guard.
- Magikarp Power: She's neither weaker nor particularly more powerful than anyone else in her class, but shines once her Slow Starter potential kicks in.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: This could be said of a few of the female Lancers, but Elysse fits this the best.
Voiced by Keiji Hirai in Japanese and John DiMaggio in English.
- Agent Peacock
- Badass Gay: Camp man-lover or no, he's a dangerously competent tank-killer (though not as good as Audrey or Largo). Nevertheless, if you go into battle riding something with treads, stay the fuck away from this guy.
- Camp Gay: The facts that he wears make-up and lipstick, fancies men AND has a potential called "Largo Lover" do not help. There's also the way he talks... especially in the Japanese track where he uses a feminine pronoun of "I". The Edy Detachment add on gives him a Paul Lynde voice to complete the look.
- Friend to All Children: He used to be a babysitter before enlisting in Squad 7, and he founds a kindergarten after the end of the war.
- Gentle Giant: See above. Although he's a tank-killing machine, he's a Nice Guy and has a soft spot for kids.
- Hopeless Suitor: He has a huge crush on Largo, but it is unknown if Largo is aware of this.
- Macho Camp: As one of the largest, most solidly-built characters in the game, and a Lancer, he also qualifies as this. Going by the combination of his make-up and military crew-cut hairstyle, if he was actually a woman, he would be a shining example of the very stereotype of a Butch Lesbian.
- Department of Redundancy Department: [Activating 'Stand Ready'] "Getting hurt hurts!"
- Face of a Thug: Apparently prevents his restaurant from being as sucessful as he'd hoped.
- Finagle's Law: Seems to be a believer in this, seeing as he says "It'll probably miss" whenever he fires. Considering his class, he's usually right.
- Gentle Giant: Walter looks intimidating on the battlefield, but when he's off-duty, he enjoys simpler hobbies, such as baking bread.
- Mood-Swinger: His confidence in battle wanes and waxes rapidly.
- Morton's Fork: When at full HP, his evasion suffers due to his Cocky potential. Conversely, his defense goes down when at half HP due to his Pessimist potential. Since units heal every turn, he has to be hit both frequently and in a very specific way to be at his best (which is to say, on the same level as everyone else).
- Sunglasses at Night: Has the Night Vision potential even with them on.
- Action Girl: Doubly so, thanks to her Super Strength.
- Ascended Fangirl: In-game example. Audrey, who was so inspired after hearing of Welkin's exploits that she joins the militia hoping to be part of Squad 7.
- Badass: She's the best Lancer in the game, hands down. She can potentially one-shot the Batomys.
- Bodyguard Crush: Inverted in her epilogue, see Rescue Romance below.
- Broken Pedestal: Like any sensible soldier, she doesn't take too kindly to Welkin giving her orders while horribly injured."Aww...Lieutenant Gunther...""You're killing me here!"
- Glacier Waif: Invoked when she warns the opponents that she's stronger than she looks.
- The Knights Who Say Squee: "Ooh, orders from the boss!"
- Na´ve Newcomer: Judging by her quote when calling for a medic, she clearly had no idea what she was getting into.
- Nice Gal: She's quite a friendly young girl.
- Optional Party Member: And, fittingly, one of the best lancers in the game.
- Rescue Romance: Gender inverted in her epilogue.
- The Scrounger: One of her potentials is "Mooch", where she "borrows" extra ammo.
- Super Strength: She is said be able to crush a watermelon with one hand. It even comes into gameplay - eventually, Audrey can punch through armor better than anyone else in her class.
Voiced by Quinton Flynn in English.
- Badass: His backstory should be enough evidence of that,
- Heroic Spirit: "Heh, numbers? We've got guts on our side!"
- In his backstory, he also routed an unit of Imperials with only a handful of soldiers despite being outgunned and outnumbered.
- Mr. Fanservice: Appears to be considered one in-universe. He starts a succesful shipping business after the war, but doesn't seem to realise exactly why it's so popular...
- One-Hit Kill: His strongest potential gives him a chance to inflict one on tanks.
Voiced by April Stewart in English.
- Action Mom: Yoko leaves the kids at home to join the militia and blow up some tanks.
- Identical Stranger: Largo reminds her a little too much of her ex-husband for her liking, and so she has the "Largo Hater" potential.
- May-December Romance: In her epilogue.
- Team Mom: One of the older females in the game.
Voiced by Masasa Moyo
- Badass Boast: Boasts that her abs can stop bullets.
- Fantastic Racism: Apparently, she hates Darcsens because they're skinny.
- The Lad-ette: Well, she constantly boasts about working out...
- Berserk Button: "First one to call me a hick gets it!"
- Everyone Has Standards: When calling for a medic: "Even I'd rather not have a teammate die on me!"
- Glory Hound: (when selected): "Save me some glory!"
- Improbable Hairstyle: A blonde quiff? In the 30s?
Voiced by Grey DeLisle in English.
- Crack Pairing: In-universe crack, with Cezary in the manga, after she mistakenly thinks that he saved her from an Imperial sniper, when it was actually Marina who saved her.
- Hidden Depths: Writes a series of highly successful romance novels after the war.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Which it makes more funnier once you read the manga and realize that her novels might actually be about her and Cezary!
- Meaningful Name: Her name is the French form of the Russian name Nadia, which itself is a diminutive of Nadezhda, which means "hope" in Russian.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Has a very lackluster attitude towards weapon maintenance.
- Emotionless Girl: Never seems to feel anything, even when the bullets are whizzing around her head or when she's calling for a medic.
Voiced by Umeka Shoji in Japanese and Candi Milo in English.
- Bishōnen: Bordering on Adorably Precocious Child due to his cherubic features.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: Homer uses these exact words to snap Edy out of a panic attack in the DLC.
- Ill Boy
- Love at First Punch: Implied towards Edy in her DLC. Justified in that he is a masochist, though one must wonder if he winds her up deliberately just to get her to punch him.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With Edy.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Edy again.
- Ship Tease: Again, with Edy, and the anime turned this Up to Eleven.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Homer really enjoys getting hurt; emphasized by one of his potentials which gives a stat boost when his health is depleted to half, complete with a face rubbing animation (and almost orgasmic voice) much like Jane's when her sadist potential is activated. Edy even remarks on it in her DLC. "So pretty, so broken" indeed.Homer: Oh, woe is me!
- Does Not Like Men: Developed this disposition due to being raised in an all-girls school. This is one of her potentials, and causes her to lose combat prowess in the proximity of males. Put her with women, on the other hand, and..."Oooh, Ms. Alicia!"
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: She quickly develops crushes on cute girls, most especially Alicia. The focus of her affection switches to Rosie after Alicia gets married to Welkin.
- Cosmic Plaything: Claudia suffers from a supernaturally bad streak of luck whenever she leaves the house. Since her home was demolished by a tank shell, this is probably now permanent.
- The Klutz: She apparently has a streak of tripping frequently.
- Made of Iron: Her last class potential makes her invincible. Sometimes.
Voiced by Liam O Brien in English.
- Battle Couple: With Lynn. Eventually, they end up Happily Married.
- Determinator: Seemingly the cause of his Invincible Potential. He refuses to let it end here.
- Name's the Same: Shares his surname with Faldio, though it's unknown whether or not the two are related.
- Shrinking Violet: Rare male example.
Voiced by Liam O Brien in English.
- Greed: Completely motivated by money. You acquire him by having a million ducats on hand when you enter the Command Room.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Thinks Cezary is an alright kinda guy.
- Lazy Bum: To the point that he actually took up horse riding so he wouldn't have to use his legs as much, and became quite skilled at it as a result.
- Lucky Bastard: Became a millionare overnight when he accidentally came across a huge deposit of ragnite, but couldn't be bothered spending the money, so he gave it all to his brother.
- The Slacker: He's lazier than Shikamaru, and that's saying something.
Voiced by Natsuki Dai in Japanese and Cindy Robinson in English
- Action Girl: Easily the best Sniper in the game, and a total killing machine from a safe perch.
- Badass: The best Sniper, and all-round cool person.
- Cold Sniper: The only one bearing the potential "Ultimate Accuracy". Ultimately subverted if you purchase the add-on content: her potentials imply she is a sociopath, but the Edy's Brigade reveals that she has a soft side. Apparently she just doesn't like being around other people.
- Cuteness Proximity: In the downloadable side-mission "Edy's Detachment", Marina is revealed to have a thing for cute animals.
- Emotionless Girl: So much that even Ted, the squad's joker, never succeeds in inciting a laugh out of her.
- Idiot Hair: Yes, but it doesn't extend to her personality.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Of all people. She bears some responsibility for getting the detachment lost in Edy's DLC for running after a cute looking puppy.
- Crazy-Prepared: Always carries more ammunition than necessary, due to a fear of running out of ammo. This stems from an incident in the First Europan War, where this actually happened and she lost a comrade as a result.
- Named After Somebody Famous: After Canadian actress and comedienne Catherine O'Hara, who notably played Sally in The Nightmare Before Christmas and Delia Deetz in Beetlejuice.
- Nice Gal: She's very polite and mild-mannered.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Her accent keeps changing between Scottish, Irish and a sort-of vague "Celtic".
- Older Than They Look: She's a 35 year old veteran of the First Europan War! You couldn't tell from looking at her.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Shell-Shocked Senior: Despite her friendly demeanor, she still has deep mental scars from her experiences in the previous war.
- Big Brother Instinct: Enlisted in the militia to keep Emile safe.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a tiny X shaped scar on the left side of his forehead.
- Power Trio: With Hannes and Jane.
- Sibling Team: With Emile.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: afraid of mice.
- Determinator: Has the Never Say Die potential. Unlike Oscar that wimps out if he is near an enemy, Emile Turns Red if he is sufficiently injured, increasing his accuracy further."I've been through worse than this!"
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: His in-game quotes suggest he thinks of himself as The Load, but his Critical Shot and Ammo Refill potentials make him one of the best Snipers next to Marina, and his base-stats range from excellent to decent. His Meadow Bred and Roof Hunter potentials stand in stark contrast to Marina's Pollen Allergy and Nest Master as well, allowing him to occasionally take on jobs she may not be the best suited for.
- Hidden Depths: He goes on the become one of the most respected painters in Galia.
- Ill Boy
- I Regret Nothing: If he falls in battle, he will say that he is glad to die in battle rather than in a sickbed.
- Big Brother Instinct: Inverted. Enlists in the militia to keep Oscar safe.
- Optional Party Member: One of five unlockable characters if certain conditions are fulfilled. To acquire Emile, Oscar's HP must hit 0 during an operation - regardless of whether Oscar is rescued by a medic or not afterwards, Emile's bio states that he enlists when he hears his brother is a casualty despite his own failing health.
- Sibling Team: With Oscar.
- Weak, but Skilled: His potentials reflects this. He has ability to boost his accuracy further, good at taking out enemies in high grounds, and an ability that makes every hit a Critical Hit.
Voiced by Steve Blum in English
- Cold Sniper: Played with. He's more of a Selfish Asshole Sniper, than a traditional Cold Sniper like Marina.
- Crack Pairing: In-universe crack, with Nadine in the manga.
- Dirty Coward: Became a sniper so that he could stay as far away from the fighting as possible, and is all too pleased whenever he is excluded from the squad roster.
- Insufferable Genius: Specializes at counter-sniping and is good contender for title of second best sniper in Squad 7 (after, of course, fully-levelled Marina). He's also selfish, obnoxious and cruel.
- Jerkass Sniper: Gradually switches to Jerk with a Heart of Gold in the manga.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: If he gets taken out in combat, he passes out before he can blame Welkin for it.Welkin, this is your...
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: In his epilogue. On the plus side, it meant he forgot he was such a Jerkass.
- Raise Him Right This Time: His epilogue will probably lead to this.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Amazingly, he's a Sniper with a fear of heights. His accuracy suffers if he's in a tower or on a building.
Other Gallian Characters
The MedicSquad 7's dedicated medical specialist. The Medic will valiantly run to the battlefield to evacuate any of your members who has been taken down.
- Canon Foreigner / Expy: Looks very much like Fina from Skies of Arcadia, which was produced by the same team. Given that Vyse and Aika show up in the game as well, this is obviously intentional.
- Twin Switch : The "Medic" is actually a trio of identical triplet sisters named Fina, Gina and Mina.
The Drill Sergeant/Clavaro Rodriguez
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Well duh.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He may be harsh to the troops during training, but he's genuinely proud of them once a class become Elites, and once all classes reach lv 20.
- No Name Given: Subverted. But you'll have to get every class to lv 20 and then check his personnel profile to see it.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "Congratulations [class name], as of today YOU! ARE! ELITES!"
- Red Baron: Was known as "Hot Rod" during EW 1.
- Rousing Speech: Gives one once every class reaches lv 20.
- The Reveal: His name (see above), and that he fought as a Lancer in EW 1.
The Aged Gentleman/Roald KankkunenA retired EW1 veteran who frequents the War Cemetary. Teaches Welkin orders in exchange for experience points.
- Lost Forever: Subverted, if you turn down one of his orders, he will offer it again but much later on, leading some players to think they've fallen victim to this trope.
- Infinity+1 Sword: Judging by his speech before teaching it, he seems to consider "Recon Request" this. To most players though, it's probably Awaken All.
- No Name Given: Once it's revealed that he once worked with Welkin's father, his bio states that he bears a similarity to a famed officer, though it doesn't outright confirm that this is his true identity.
- The official artbook does give his name as Roald Kankkunen, an EWI cavalry general who relinquished his command to Welkin's father after recognizing the latter's talent.
- The Unreveal: You never find out exactly who he is in the game proper, only that he fought alongside Welkin's father in the first war.
Voiced by Atsuko Tanaka in Japanese and Julia Fletcher in English.Commanding officer of Regiment 3, hence making her Squad 7's superior officer. Elle (as she's known to Largo) is a wise, concerned leader for her troops, and she specifically has a fondness for Squad 7, both for their bravery and service and for the fact that Largo is one of the members. She never unnecessarily puts Squad 7 in harm's way, and trusts them to perform any mission to success. She also tends to turn a blind eye to some of Welkin's most outrageous strategies, since, well, they work.
- Beta Couple: With Largo.
- Captain Smooth and Sergeant Rough: The Smooth to Largo's Rough.
- Cold Sniper: Served as one in the first war before earning the rank of Captain.
- Hot Librarian: Captain Varrot's totally rockin' the look. It helps that she also has an office full of books, and that a local bookshop actually owes its livelihood to her.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: Takes this attitude towards Geld after encouragement from Largo. Well actually, it's more like If You Kill Him You Will Be Betraying Your Dead Lover's Ideals.
- Not So Stoic: In the side chapter dealing with Giorgios Geld.
- Revenge: The reason she stayed in the army after the First European War. She almost lost it when she met Geld, and was about to Kick the Son of a Bitch until Largo talked her down
- Running Gag: She talks a lot in the anime version when she speaks to other characters. Which irritates them to no end.
Voiced by Takahiro Sakurai in Japanese and Robin Atkin Downes in English.Longtime friend of Welkin's, and commander of Squad 7's sister unit, Squad 1. Faldio, like Welkin, was drafted as an officer, and is an avid historian. He is one of the lead researchers on Valkyrian lore and technology for the Gallian Army. He also discovers that Alicia is a Valkyria, and shoots her to awaken her powers, an act that brings him much grief but he deems necessary for the war effort.
- Action Fashionista: He attempted this at one point, making clear his disdain for the Gallian uniform. His redesign proposal was rejected on the grounds of being "impossibly florid."
- Anti-Hero: Type III, with Type IV leanings, given his predilections for I Did What I Had to Do.
- Badass Bookworm: Shares this quality with Welkin, which is understandable given their shared military/college education.
- Hero of Another Story: Essentially Faldio's initial role.
- Honor Before Reason: Maximillian would have made a valuable prisoner of war, see Redemption Equals Death.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Considered shooting Alicia necessary to save Gallia, though later comes to regret that decision.
- Name's the Same: Shares his surname with Karl, though it's unknown whether or not the two are related.
- Redemption Equals Death: Sacrifices himself while killing Maximillian in penance for wounding Alicia.
- Unfriendly Fire: He shot Alicia to awaken her Valkyria power
- Shipper on Deck: Oddly, despite the fact Faldio hits on Alicia several times in the anime, he also seems to be working his ass off to convince Welkin to hook up with her, though, as a flashback reveals, he was there when Welkin could have married one of the most sought after women in college and let her get away, so it's fair to say most of his attraction, while possibly genuine, is also probably an attempt to get a rise out of Welkin (thus revealing Welkin has a sex drive) and get him to realize there's an attractive young lady and he would make a cute couple with her. In fact, he more or less practically screams that in Welkin's face in Episode 11.
Voiced by Naomi Shindo in Japanese and Kari Wahlgren in English.Intrepid reporter extraordinaire. She starts off interviewing the members of the militia to bring the news to the public, but eventually settles on covering Squad 7 exclusively, not only for their news-worthiness but also because she thinks they're good people. She also, against government orders, publishes The Writing On The Wall, a clandestine paper to report the news of the war without censorship, letting the Gallian citizens know exactly what's going on. She is eventually revealed to be Irene Koller, the narrator for the game and author of the book that tells Squad 7's exploits.
- Intrepid Reporter: She decides to tag along with Squad 7 after deciding that they're the most interesting of the Gallian military. She eventually writes a book about them.
- Narrator All Along: It takes us a while to learn that Ellet is her maiden name and that her first name is Irene, and it explains how side-chapters are annexed into the book that serves as your main menu.
General Georg von Damon
Voiced by Kozo Shioya in Japanese and John DiMaggio in English.A Gallian aristocrat and overall commander of the Gallian military. He was recommended to the post by the Gallian prime minister Borg, in spite of being completely unsuitable for the job.
- Asshole Victim: Was among those incinerated by Selvaria's Final Flame.
- Bling of War: Despite not really earning any of it.
- Fat Bastard
- General Failure: He often forced the Gallian army to perform actions that will obviously only end up in defeat. In Selvaria's episode, it is obvious that while he is willing to engage in war crimes by using chemical weapons, he is such a horrible strategist that Ghirlandaio fell to the Empire very easily.
- General Ripper
- Glory Hound: General Damon is more worried about his reputation and victory than the welfare of his troops, especially the militia. Most of the missions he issues to the militia are practically suicidal, and would invariably rack up huge body counts if not for the fact that they are far more capable than he gives them credit for.
- Large Ham
- Kick the Dog: In the anime version, he throws a tantrum after seeing Isara's Darcsen-print poncho draped over the Edelweiss. She died in the previous episode. He's also pretty abusive to Selvaria after you defeat her.
- The Neidermeyer: If it weren't for actual competent officers like Captain Varrot and Lieutenant Gunther, Gallia would be doomed.
- Nepotism: His rapid rise to the rank of General and overall command of the Gallian army stems from his being the grandson of a more competent General who fought in the First Europan War and his political connections to Prime Minister Borg.
- Small Name, Big Ego: He firmly believe the regular army kicks ass and he's a great commander when the only reason he's in command at all is thanks to having friends in high places.
- Stay in the Kitchen: His ideas about the proper place of women would get him repeatedly shot by any random feminist. He's even this way to Varrot, who is far more competent than him even on her worst day while sleep deprived and drunk.
- We Have Reserves: What he sees the militia as.
Princess Cordelia gi Randgriz
Voiced by Kate Higgins in English.
Maurits von Borg
Voiced by Hidekatsu Shibata in Japanese and Dwight Schultz in English.The head of Borg family and is the Prime Minister of Gallia
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- Big Bad Wannabe
- Dirty Coward: He is happy to sell Gallia to the Federation, and later the Empire just to that he could rule
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: After helping Maximillian, he is 'rewarded' appropriately by execution
- The Chessmaster: Seemingly the one playing it for Gallia's side except it isn't for Gallia's good
Empire of Europa (Antagonists)
Voiced by Jun Fukuyama in Japanese and Matthew Yang King in English.
- And Now You Must Marry Me: To Princess Cordelia.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Not only he kick ass with the Batomys, but in the anime he is shown to be capable of wiping out the assassin squad sent to kill him that already made short work of his royal guards.
- Big Bad: Though he is only one of the Empire's Princes, so a Bigger Bad might still be possible.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Even Evil Has Standards: Maximillian is very strict on respecting the rules of warfare, and orders Geld to be court-martialed and executed for his atrocities. He also dislikes sellouts to their own country and expects loyalty in his subordinates. In which, even when Borg contributes greatly in his invasion to Gallia and wished to join him, Maximillian instead asks him if he'll eventually stab him in the back for personal gain, then sends him to death.
- Equal-Opportunity Evil: Maximillian allows anyone to join his forces whether they be women, former enemies of the Empire or Darcsens. Which explains why he has no problem of marrying Princess Cordelia after the truth about her heritage is revealed. Except if they're sellouts to their own country, in which he'll just execute them on spot.
- Evil Prince: Played with. He may be the Big Bad. However, he is also one of the least evil of the Empire's nobles. He prefers to gain power by archivements and gaining respect instead of through backstabbing political maneuvers that other Empire nobles are well known for.
- Expy: He's essentially what happens when one strips Lelouch vi Britannia or Reinhard von Lohengramm of any redeeming and sympathetic qualities.
- Freudian Excuse: Maximilian's ambition to conquer Europa was fueled by his low standing at the Imperial court due to his mother being of common birth, and him surviving an assassination attempt from within his family early in life.
- It's All About Me: Maximillian has a severe Lack of Empathy towards pretty much everyone.
- Knife Nut: Maximilian is said to be one in his background fluff; justified in that at the time it was for self defence, but it eventually grows to him having a collection of hundreds of knives, if not thousands.
- Light Is Not Good: Blonde hair and a white Ermine Cape with gold embroidery do nothing to disguise his ruthlessness.
- Man in White: His Ermine Cape.
- Missing Mom: His Freudian Excuse.
- One-Winged Angel: He gains Valkyria-like powers in the final battle, thanks to a mighty device created by his engineers.
- Overly Long Name: Maximillian Gaius Von Reginrave.
- Parental Abandonment: His mother was killed by jealous conspirators.
- Royal "We": Fairly subdued for most of the game, but Maximillian talks like this almost nonstop during the final chapters of the story. We, Us, Ours, he uses them all. He does sometimes speak without it, however.
- Visual Pun: The armour he wears can be associated with the "Maximilian" style of armour.
- Warrior Prince: Let it not be said that Maximillian is not willing to lead his troops...
Voiced by Sayaka Ohara in Japanese and April Stewart in English.General of the Empire's Central Forces, the blood of the Valkyrur runs in Selvaria's veins. Their blood gives her incredible powers, making her the deadliest soldier in the Empire's employ. Selvaria is very much devoted to her cause, and would give up her life for Maximillian. Even so, she is not without honor, and is genuinely concerned with the welfare of her soldiers. When Maximillian decides that she is no longer an asset, Selvaria sacrifices herself to destroy Gallia's main army.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: For Johann's Accidental Pervert moment in her DLC.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Unlike other boss characters who fight you using their Ace Custom tanks, she fights you on foot each time.
- BFG: Her custom gun, Ruhm
- Bodyguard Crush: Towards Maximillian. Tragically and pathetically one sided, however. According to the anime, it seems that Maximillian hardly needs a bodyguard at all: (killing all by himself, with a sword, the entire group of assassins sent to take him out who managed to break into his estate and kill all the guards with ease...), leading to the question of what she's even doing there.
- Boobs of Steel: She's best known for two things: Her bust size and being a very though badass (more so when she goes into Valkyria mode).
- Climax Boss
- Dark Action Girl and Dark Magical Girl
- A Day in the Limelight: Behind Her Blue Flame.
- Co-Dragons: Forms the Drei Stern alongside Gregor and Jaeger
- Empowered Badass Normal: Even without her Valkyria power, she is already a One-Man Army. With Valkyria power, she can wipe out the whole army easily.
- Evil Albino: Eventually subverted - she's far less evil than most of the Imperials.
- Expy: The similarities, both visual and otherwise, to Reinforce I are so many that it leaves one wondering if Selvaria is this or an outright Captain Ersatz.
- Hidden Depths: She apparently enjoys cooking in her spare time.
- I Owe You My Life: Her attitude towards Maximillian. However, it's implied he was aware of her former circumstances when he took her in and had something to do with it, meaning he invoked this trope to make her loyal.
- Love Martyr: Towards Maximillian, although she holds no illusion of redeeming him.
- More Dakka: The Ruhm, her personal rifle.
- One-Man Army: Even when not in her Valkyria form, she is still a very tough opponent.
- Pet the Dog: Her strict but caring attitude towards her soldiers.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: She's not exactly small, per say, but come on, the Ruhm makes anyone look tiny by comparison.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Her Japanese spelling was actually more like 'Selveria'.
- Taking You with Me: Her Final Flame allows her to detonate in a nuclear explosion. She uses this once captured to take out the entire Gallian army.
- Villain's Dying Grace: Selvaria "begs" General Damon to have the Squad 7 Militia escort her personal troops as POWs out of Ghirlandio. This saves them (and her men) from her Final Flame.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Her and Jaeger in the anime. Granted, she's icy and he acts like a playboy, but he tries to be a nice guy when Maximillian is an asshole and professionally they do work well together.
- Worthy Opponent: to Alicia
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After realizing that she can be defeated, Maximillian orders her to do a Suicide Attack on the Gallian army.
Voiced by Akio Ohtsuka in Japanese and Patrick Seitz in English.
- A Father to His Men: He is shown to be willing to put his tank between his men and Squad 7 as his men is retreating.
- Anti-Villain: More or less. Turns out, he was just helping Maximilian conquer Gallia so that his homeland gets freedom afterward.
- Chivalrous Pervert: The man practically channels Shunshui Kyoraku at times during the anime. Fitting, considering his seiyuu voiced him as well.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: The only character who puts armor plating over his tank's radiator - and then develops a strategy to reduce the overheating problem this brought back.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Both Jaeger and Gregor are former enemies, but now that they are working together they are quite willing to confide in each other, and despite being total opposites personality wise get along surprisingly well.
- Had a slightly smaller scale version of this with Selvaria, who he often tried to be nice to when Maximillian was a prick.
- Heel Realization: After being defeated by Squad 7.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Don't let his affable ladies man attitude fool you. He's very sharp, and in the anime he pretty much figures out someone was trying to kill Maximillian in Episode 9 on his own.
- Nice Guy: Despite being on the villain team.
- Punch Clock Villain: Especially in the anime version, where he's basically like the aformentioned Kyoraku, except on the villain team.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Does to Maximillian in both game and anime. In both cases, this happens after he realizes his boss is a coldblooded asshole and he's one by proxy for helping him.
- This Is Unforgivable!: His misgivings about Maximillian mount throughout the anime, but they hit their peak when he finds out Selvaria's aide Karl, the anime expy for Johann, was shot in cold blood for standing up to Maximillian in defense of Selvaria's well being.
- Turns Red: Has a tendency to issue ALL his orders at once when heavily damaged.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: His fate at the end of the game is unknown.
Voiced by Chikao Ohtsuka in Japanese and Roger Jackson in English.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Tends to wear a hat over most of hair, though.
- Back Ground Boss: His armored train, the Equus.
- Cool Train: The Equus
- Flat Earth Atheist: A variation. He think Selvaria's Valkyria power is a joke, and that victory can only be achieved by the Empire's military power and good strategy instead of relying on some Magical Girl power.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Hypocrite: In his dying moments, he accuses Gallians of being cowards for taking down the Equus by bombing the rails. This after he spent the whole battle hiding up inside his superarmored train.
- Insufferable Genius: He is an excellent military strategist, and he is happy to hammer that on everyone's face.
- Mechanical Horse: In a manner of speaking. He is an avid equestrian, and he goes to battle aboard a custom armored train car he has named "Equus".
- Nazi Nobleman: He clearly has all the markings of one, even down to his speech mannerisms.
- Sergeant Rock: While Gregor does have a personality fit for The Neidermeyer, he actually has read a book or two on military tactics and actually proves a legitimate threat to the Gallian forces, because, despite the fact he's a Jerkass to his troops (especially in the anime), he's a competent, effective Jerkass.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Has an obsession with destroying the Edelweiss in the anime.
- : This Cannot Be!: He utters something along these lines when the bridge is dropped from under his invincible armored train.
Voiced by Yukimasa Kishino in Japanese and Dwight Schultz in English
- Bad Guys Do the Dirty Work: After Largo convinces Elenor If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him, he flees back to the Imperial headquarters, but upon arriving discovers his torture of civilians really pissed off Maximillian, who orders him excecuted.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: His favorite hobby.
- Dirty Coward: When he is on the receiving end, though, he's quick to beg for his life.
- I Surrender, Suckers: Was clearly TRYING to pull this, but no-one was fooled.
- Karmic Death: Let's just say his Dirty Coward tendencies backfire HARD.
- Mook Lieutenant
- Shoot the Hostage: Is all too willing to do this if you let your troops be seen during his side mission, causing an immediate Game Over.