Fanfic Recs: Valkyria Chronicles
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Valkyria Chronicles, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be. Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business.
Authors and WebsitesNone yet.
General StoriesValkyrian Mercs Quest by Merc Command
- Recommended by Rei Kusanagi
- Synopsis: You are JAGER STURMFUHRER, leader of the fledgling mercenary company DEMONS OF RANDGRIZ. In addition to fighting Imps for money and vengeance, you have your own private mission to hunt down Karla, your former fiance who sided with the Imperials and destroyed your home.
- Comments: A look at the greater world of the games making a point to avoid excess contact with canon things, though he does mix in things from other games pretty well (One of the members is named Ramirez used to doing everything). It's rather dice intensive to be warned.
- Recommended by clarkkent01
- Synopsis: The Empire launches a surprise attack on the Gallian border outposts, with Squad 7 caught in the middle. The start of the Imperial invasion as witnessed by Largo and Rosie.
- Comments: A prequel to the game, and the first in an interconnected series of stories by the same author. The action and the characterization are solid, with just the right blend of drama and humor to keep things interesting.
- Recommended by Ogaiami
- Synopsis: An introspective one-shot that focuses on Welkin's thoughts following the events of the first battle at Naggiar.
- Comments: The writing here is amazingly professional, with beautiful descriptions and believable dialogue. Also, even though it's written in third-person POV, the reader is made to feel extremely close to Welkin. It's angsty to be sure, but it's a good angsty.
- Recommended by Dick Richardson.
- Synopsis: An accident leaves the US Joint Strike Force teamed with the Gallians, the Russian Spetsnaz with the Imps, and the European Kommandos with the Federation. Things happen.
- Comments: Aside from punctuation errors being rampant (this is fanfiction, after all), it's... actually pretty damn good. It is currently being re-written by the author to include much more backstory from End War.
- Recommended by Doomship
- Synopsis: A crossover Fanfic with Command and Conquer Red Alert(specifically 1) that asks a what if question: what if the invading Imperials were replaced by Soviet Forces?
- Comments: A fairly well written fanfic that calls VC's idealism about defending your home country against superior forces into question. The Soviet leader's comments and thoughts about the Valkyrur are particually interesting and the ending and aftermath of the invasion is memorable.
- The Soviets might come off as a bit God Mode Sue-ish in how easily they roll over the combined powers of the Allies and Gallia. Not helped by the author himself stating that he loves playing the Soviets in Red Alert.
- As a general Rule Of Thumb, anything published before Valkyria Fortress, I regret making. In fact, I was remaking Red Alert in the form of the oh-so-creatively titled Red Alert Redux. Which features Friendly Soviets and a more Red Alert 3 styled take on Red Alert 1 (I even felt inclined to call Soviet Heavy tanks Anvils), but simply put I lost interest.