A Stock Phrase
most often heard right before an action scene and used as a Pre Ass Kicking One Liner
. The Hero comes across a random Big Bad
, or one of his mooks
. When the Hero announces his intention to fight/kill said Bad Guy, he might laugh a little sadistically before a reply of "Let's Dance". Sometimes this is accompanied by a cracking of knuckles, or even of the victim's neck
Compare Bring It
. Dance Battler
also takes this literally.
Anime & Manga
- Naruto - Madara Uchiha does this a lot.
"Let's have another dance, shall we?"
"Seems you have a few dance moves left."
"How could you have danced this long?"
- Xadhoom's catchphrase in Paperinik New Adventures.
- Also with variations. A particularly satisfying one was, after a particularly bad day, she asked an Evronian what you do in a ballroom, and ''disintegrated him when he said "You dance?".
- Predator 2. When police officer Jerry Lambert confronts the title creature in the subway car, his last words are "Let's dance!"
- Antonio Banderas in Desperado.
(neck crack) "Let's play."
- Aliens. Just before the Marines fight the xenomorphs for the first time:
Vasquez: "Let's rock!" (opens fire with machine gun)
- Mortal Kombat had this as Johnny Cage's Pre Ass Kicking One Liner.
- In Full Metal Jacket, Cowboy says "Let's Dance" just before deploying his squad to search for a sniper they know is in the area.
- In Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Ron Burgundy himself uses this phrase right before a fight:
Ron Burgundy: Let's dance, dickweed.
Wes Mantooth: You wanna dance, Burgundy?" (whips out a knife) I wanna polka.
- Happens in Role Models:
Danny: God dammit Ronnie!
Ronnie Shields: What? Because I'm black you think I did it?
Danny: No, because you did it is why I think you did it. Let me tell you something, I'll hit you. I will hit a child. I've never done that before, but I will punch you in the face.
Ronnie Shields: Let's dance, Ben Affleck!
- In Van Wilder, one of the antagonists challenges the titular slacker with "Let's Dance", only to have Wilder respond with "It's a good day to die".
- Die Hard with a Vengeance, bomb squad technician Charlie Veiss says this to a bomb he's attempting to defuse:
"Six booby traps, four dead ends, "and a Partridge in a pear tree." Okay, honey. Let's dance."
- Apocalypse Now. Colonel Kilgore "turning on the music" as his helicopters are about to attack.
"Eagle Thrust, put on psy war op. Make it loud. This is a Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?"
- In The Wheel of Time book The Dragon Reborn a small group of battle-ready Aiel taunt a Myrddraal with the phrase "Dance with me, Eyeless." The Aiel use the term 'dance' as a metaphor for fighting; they will often say 'dance the spears.'
- John Ringo's A Hymn Before Battle:
"This is what I promise, nothing more. We are going to stick this operation up the Posleen's ass, sideways. I guaran-fuckin'-tee that. I don't guarantee that any of us will be around to see it. That is not part of the bargain," he hissed.
"So, to do that, we are going to get up on our damn feet and go out and dance with the devil. We may lead, or we may follow. But we are gonna do the damn dance, am I understood?" he whispered.
"God dammit, quit sounding off like a bunch of fuckin' hairdressers!" he shouted.
"What are we gonna do?"
"Fight?" "Get our asses kicked?" "Kick some butt?"
"We're gonna dance, sir," said Wiznowski, disconnecting from the power system.
"We are gonna dance. Now, what are we gonna do?"
"We're gonna dance, sir."
"Dammit . . ."
"WE'RE GONNA DANCE, SIR!" they sounded off.
"WHO'RE WE GONNA DANCE WITH?"
"WE GONNA LEAD OR FOLLOW?"
"WE'RE GONNA LEAD!"
"DAMN STRAIGHT! SCOUTS OUT!"
- The Audubon Ballroom from the Honor Harrington series uses "Shall we dance?" as a Battle Cry, just before proceeding to kick slaver ass.
- Al Bundy's version was "Let's rock."
- Lampshaded in "Fool for Love" for a typical Spuffy Foe Yay moment. Spike is telling Buffy how he killed two previous Slayers.
Spike: The first was all business but the second, she had a touch of your style. She was cunning, resourceful... oh, did I mention? Hot. I could have danced all night with that one.
Buffy: You think we're dancing?
Spike: That's all we've ever done.
- Sure enough when we see a flashback of Spike fighting that particular Slayer in "Lies My Parents Told Me":
Spike: I spent a long time trying to track you down. Don't want the dance to end so soon, do you, Nikki? The music's just starting, isn't it?
- Invoked as episode titles in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Season 1's "Duet", and Season 6's "Waltz". Both are character pieces in which two adversaries spar verbally.
- Julius, owner of the Liberty Meadows animal sanctuary, when he prepares to catch his nemesis, Khan the giant catfish: "Let's dance, Khan."
- Seraphim01/Serah from Silhouette Mirage says this when her health is reduces to about two thirds.
- Shinobu Jacobs, the perky ninja assassin sidekick to Travis Touchdown says a few variations of this in No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle.
- A variation appears in The Witcher saga, with a Psycho for Hire calling for music before starting a fight. Geralt himself uses the same phrase in the game.
- Dimitri in Sly 2: Band Of Thieves says "Let's Dance!" right before the boss battle after Sly insults his taste in clothing.
- This is one of Raphael's opening lines in Soulcalibur 2.
- Tieger to zombie!Grissom as a You Shall Not Pass, in the ending of Vagrant Story.
"And now the slowest dance begins, partner. 'Tis a fine tomb we shall share."
- This is Mileena's intro quote in Mortal Kombat 9.
- The Street Fighter characters Elena and Eagle use the "Shall we dance?" variant.
- Star Control 2 has Orz who speak Starfish Language even after the Universal Translator, talk about battles as...
Nnnnnggggaaaahhhhh!!!!!! It is *dancing*!!!!
- Grandia II, before the boss fight with Melfice.
Melfice: Dance with me, brother.
- Said by Silly!Hawke to the Arishok when he/she accepts a duel with him in Dragon Age II.
- Also one of Varric's lines during the Scarface portion of his Act 2 companion quest.
- In Mass Effect 3, James Vega challenges Shepard to a sparring match the first time they talk on-board the Normandy. "Think you can dance and talk at the same time?"
- One of Nero's taunt in Devil May Cry 4 is to extend his (demonic) hand in a gentlemanly manner and ask "Shall we dance?". Said hand is also used for tossing enemies around like ragdolls, by the way.
- In the ending of Bayonetta, the titular character shouts "Let's dance, boys!" before blasting apart angels.
- In BlazBlue, said to Ragna by Hazama before a fight. He even seems to put on a faux southern drawl just to be extra hammy.
- Alpha Protocol has Brayko using a variation of this prior to his battle.
"You came for a fight, you got one, buddy. Put on your red shoes, let's dance..."
- This is a favored line of Sam Rodrigues in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Raiden says this to Senator Armstrong while also wielding Sam's sword.
- Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker: See the quote above.
- Another instance in the DCAU: When Lobo takes on the entire Justice League (sans Superman and Batman) in "Hereafter".
- The Penguins of Madagascar: As Skipper prepares to fight the Rat King, he says, "Let's dance. I'll lead."
- One of the Spammers from Bender's Big Score says, "You've got no code, no porn, and you're ugly. Let's dance!" just before attacking our heroes.
- In Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, Alex has to fight another lion as part of a rite of passage. When the other lion says, "Let's dance," Alex takes it literally and does a dance routine out of West Side Story. He gets clobbered.
- American Dragon Jake Long gives us this right before Jake's final battle with the Huntsclan.
The Huntsman: Before I wish for your annihilation, any last words?
Jake: Well, considering the occasion, I have just two: Let's dance!
- Todd Beamer, on the ill-fated flight 93. "Let's roll."