This is what happens when someone takes a well known phrase or saying, and then decides that it doesn't convey quite as much information as it needs to. So the speaker adds a little bit on the end, usually with the modifier "But", usually either missing the point or totally reversing the original meaning of the phrase.
Related to the Ice-Cream Koan
, but differs in that while the first part of the phrase is valid, the second part is clearly tacked on by the speaker. Often said by a Seemingly Profound Fool
in some of his more fauxlisophical moments.
- Spider-Man: When life gives you lemons... squirt them in somebody's face and run like hell.
- In the very first issue of Paperinik New Adventures, when the titular hero is having a hard time defending a woman from the coolflames: "Don't worry! When the game gets tough... I wish I was somewhere else."
- Ron White: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, then find someone whose life has given him vodka and have a party.
- The Babyshambles song "Sticks and stones" has the following chorus: Sticks and stones may break my bones/Oh but your words, they really hurt.
- About 90% of They Might Be Giants lyrics.
- Katamari Damacy: Love makes the world go round... But Manners keep you from getting motion sickness.
- Cave Johnson, founder of Aperture Science rails against life late on in Portal 2:
"When life gives you lemons
, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons
! What am I supposed to do with these
?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day
it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS
! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'm the man who's GONNA BURN
YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS
! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN
- Achewood: Eating an apple a day keeps the doctor away... but throwing it at him works better!
- Here in The Order of the Stick: "You can't make an omelet without permanently deafening someone."
- And later on: "You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disembowling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others."
- xkcd offers two takes on a classic, one in this comic and one in its Alt Text.
Father: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words-
Child: -can make someone else feel happy or sad, which is literally the only thing that matters in this stupid world?
: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can make me think I deserved it.
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL, but don't forget to steer!
- From Starship:
Junior: We have a saying where I come from too; God save the Queen.
Bug: Oh, good.
- "Today's proverb", the Credits Gag at the end of each episode of Welcome to Night Vale are usually like this:
What has four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three legs in the evening?note I don't know, but I trapped it in my bedroom. Send help.
If you love someone, set them free. Set them free now. This is the police, and we have you surrounded.
- Also, a twist on a National Rifle Association motto: "Guns don't kill people,note it's impossible to be killed by a gun, we are all invincible to bullets and it's a miracle".
- A staple for the Night Vale twitter feed. For example, "Home is where the heart is. You'll never guess where we hid it, though."