This is what happens when someone takes a well known phrase or saying, and then decides that it doesn't convey quite as much information as it needs to. So the speaker adds a little bit on the end, usually with the modifier "But", usually either missing the point or totally reversing the original meaning of the phrase.
Related to the Ice-Cream Koan
, but differs in that while the first part of the phrase is valid, the second part is clearly tacked on by the speaker. Often said by a Seemingly Profound Fool
in some of his more fauxlisophical moments.
- Spider-Man: When life gives you lemons... squirt them in somebody's face and run like hell.
- In the very first issue of Paperinik New Adventures, when the titular hero is having a hard time defending a woman from the coolflames: "Don't worry! When the game gets tough... I wish I was somewhere else."
- Ron White: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, then find someone whose life has given him vodka and have a party.
- NewsRadio: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for.
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a fifty foot fall will kill y'all!
- The Red Dwarf episode "Stasis Leak" has:
- In Caméra café, Paolo always repeats twice the first part of the proverb he's about to say. For example: "An apple a day... an apple a day".
- 3rd Rock from the Sun: When life gives you lemons...just shut up and eat the damn lemons.
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: "When God gives you lemons, you find a new god."
- Modern Family: "When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like 'whaaat?'"
- The Babyshambles song "Sticks and stones" has the following chorus: Sticks and stones may break my bones/Oh but your words, they really hurt.
- About 90% of They Might Be Giants lyrics.
- Katamari Damacy: Love makes the world go round... But Manners keep you from getting motion sickness.
- Cave Johnson, founder of Aperture Science rails against life late on in Portal 2:
"When life gives you lemons
, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons
! What am I supposed to do with these
?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day
it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS
! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'm the man who's GONNA BURN
YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS
! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN
- Achewood: Eating an apple a day keeps the doctor away... but throwing it at him works better!
- Here in The Order of the Stick: "You can't make an omelet without permanently deafening someone."
- And later on: "You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disembowling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others."
- xkcd offers two takes on a classic, one in this comic and one in its Alt Text.
Father: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words-
Child: -can make someone else feel happy or sad, which is literally the only thing that matters in this stupid world?
: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can make me think I deserved it.
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL, but don't forget to steer!
- From Starship:
Junior: We have a saying where I come from too; God save the Queen.
Bug: Oh, good.
- "Today's proverb", the Credits Gag at the end of each episode of Welcome To Night Vale are usually like this:
What has four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three legs in the evening?note I don't know, but I trapped it in my bedroom. Send help.
If you love someone, set them free. Set them free now. This is the police, and we have you surrounded.
- Also, a twist on a National Rifle Association motto: "Guns don't kill people,note it's impossible to be killed by a gun, we are all invincible to bullets and it's a miracle".