It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Someone poses with or appears to be riding in a good-looking vehicle. A shift of view, and it's revealed they drive something MUCH less glamourous — The Alleged Car
and bicycles are common. A variation is for them to be indeed riding said good-looking vehicle, but not actually in
See Not This One, That One
if it's the character being fooled as well as, or instead of, the audience about which vehicle they're going to take.
open/close all folders
- This happens lots of times in the Spanish comics Mortadelo y Filemón: for example, in the albums "Valor y al toro", "Contra el Gang del Chicharrón", "Los verdes", "La maldición gitana", to name just a few.
- Occurs in a comic book short for The Muppets. The crew stare at a huge ocean liner in awe, only for Kermit to reveal that the actual boat is on the other side of the dock, looking for all the world like an Alleged Boat.
- In one Harold Lloyd film, Harold is seen relaxing in the back of a rather luxurious car. Then he shifts position, the car pulls away, and it's revealed he's riding a bicycle.
- In one short of The Three Stooges, the stooges walk into a parking garage and we see a fancy 1930's car roll out. A few seconds later, the stooges emerge with Moe driving a motorized scooter with wagons attached to the back for Larry and Curly.
- Happens at the beginning of Peter Jackson's 2004 King Kong remake. Ann gets out of her taxi and stares at an ocean liner, only for Denhan to direct her attention to the Venture, a smaller and much less impressive boat on the other side of the dock.
- The Goodies: One of the early episodes has them leave their office and move behind a Rolls Royce, looking as if they are about to get in it. They then emerge from behind the Rolls riding their "trandem" bike.
- The Benny Hill Show: In a filmed sketch about the National Health Service, Benny is a private patient while another lower-class looking person is going through the public way. At the end of the sketch Benny is seen perched in a late model convertible; the lower class guy is then seen getting in the car and driving away, revealing that Benny is sitting on a bicycle.
- At the end of another sketch, which has Benny playing a famous rock star, it seems he in a car with happy people with champagne and beautiful women, and it pulls away, and a lonely Benny rides home on his bicycle.
- Mercenaries 2 does this in one of the missions - you're told to grab a vehicle called "Devastator" while looking at a cool tank, after which it is revealed you're supposed to pick a small pink moped standing behind the wall.
- In the Donald Duck cartoon The Autograph Hound, Donald appears to be in a limo with Greta Garbo. He is actually sitting on the fender on the other side.
- In the opening credits of Top Cat, Top Cat appears to be riding in the back of a limousine. However, as the car turns a corner, it is revealed he is actually riding on the fender.
- Ben 10: Omniverse: When Rook is showing his vehicle to Ben we first see a badass-looking green and black monster truck, only to learn it's a different car and Rook's actual ride actually is the old, silly-looking truck behind it. Then subverted when Rook reveals it's only in camouflage mode and can turn into a powerful, heavily armed, spaceship-like vehicle.