Man...is only separated from heaven by that which he will not ramp.
A character operating a vehicle is in a tight spot; there's something blocking the path
, someplace too high and/or far to reach, etc. What to do? Look for something that would be remotely be used as a ramp, or just build one, to perform a Ramp Jump
A Sub Trope
of Theme Park Landscape
. Not to be confused
with Use Your Head
, which covers improvised ramming
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Kenya Starflight's "Star Wars characters are trapped on Earth" story Eye of the Storm, Darth Vader takes over during a car chase with stormtroopers and uses the Force to pull an under-repair sign across the roadway and use it to ramp over a train, using the Force once more to keep the car stable. It still doesn't handle the landing well, though.
- Chapter one of Feed ends this way. George uses a hill as an improvised ramp.
- Matthew Reilly's books do it every so often. Avoid torpedoes, drive a truck into a fighter plane... He also figured out that the only way to make this trope more awesome is to blow up the improvised ramp behind the vehicle.
Live Action TV
- In Midtown Madness 2, you can jump from one embankment of the Thames to the other by use of strategically placed ramps in the Tower of London, and a (convenient) boat in the middle of the river.
- Used for many Insane Stunt bonuses in Grand Theft Auto, as far back as GTA 2.
- Appears frequently in Total Overdose. Ram's first mission doesn't exactly require one, but strongly encourages it to flee the top of a parking garage.
- Just Cause 2: There are absolutely dozens of conveniently placed piles of building materials, collapsed road signs and so on spread around for ramping.
- Jonny Quest episode "Mystery Of the Lizard Men'': while escaping enemy agents in the Sargasso Sea, Race Bannon and his pursuers both use an overturned boat as a ramp to jump their boats high in the air. The 2nd time, Race uses it to turn his hydrofoil into a deadly weapon. Watch it here, at 2:10-2:20 and 4:25-4:30.
- Gwen in Ben 10: Ultimate Alien makes her own ramp out of Anodite magic.
- Cars: Lightning McQueen uses a wrecked competitor during a race.