Video Game: Total Overdose
Take Grand Theft Auto, combine it with Max Payne, add in a ton of action movie tropes and Mexican stereotypes, and you pretty much have Total Overdose. The game might not be original, but it sure is funny as hell.The plot involves the DEA, some Mexican gangsters, and drugs. Fill it out if you want but who cares about the plot, anyway? We're here to blow up cocaine burrito stands!Total Overdose was created in 2005 by the Danish game company Deadline Games. A slightly more linear version was released for the PSP the next year, called Chili Con Carnage.
This game provides examples of:
- Badass Family: You get to play as three different members of the Cruz family.
- Bullet Time
- Car Fu: You can do a Bullet Time-style dive out of a car before it crashes into something.
- Casual Danger Dialog
- Exploding Barrels / Made of Explodium: Above average amount of exploding scenery for a shooter/driver, and every car becomes explosive on contact after diving from it
- There is a button set aside specifically to target explosive object.
- Evil Twin: Ram is more accurately the Heroic Comedic Sociopath Twin, but still...
- Guns Akimbo: You can dual wield almost anything after a while.
- Gun Fu
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath / Karma Houdini: Ram gleefully commits every crime in the book without consequence.
- Impressive Pyrotechnics
- Leap and Fire
- Logo Joke: Both the Eidos and Deadline Games logos are introduced via humorous animations of luchadores and men in skeleton body costumes performing a juggling act with dynamite (with the Eidos logo) and doing a dance in sombreros (the Deadline Games logo).
- Revolvers Are Just Better
- Rules Of Cool And Funny
- Sawed-Off Shotgun
- Senseless Violins: The El Mariachi Loco Move
- Shout-Out: The El Mariachi Loco Move is a rather obvious shout out to well... El Mariachi.
- South of the Border
- Spiritual Successor: Chili Con Carnage, at least in terms of the feel and setting, minus the Wide Open Sandbox element.
- Super Drowning Skills: If you ever fall into the ocean your character will immediately climb out of the water and a caption will show up saying "THIS IS NOT A BOARD DIVING GAME!"
- Super Mode: The Loco Moves
- The Unfought: Papa Muerte, the man behind everything. You never even come face to face with him.
- Time Bomb: Several missions and side challenges force you to run for your life
- Twin Switch: The player character is the Evil Twin who shoves off his brother's attempts to keep control of the missions.