Video Game: Rise of the Tomb Raider
Psychiatrist: For many people, these traumas become a mental trap. They get... stuck... like a ship frozen in ice. There's another type of person. Do you know what happens to them? ...Ms. Croft? Rise of the Tomb Raider
Lara Croft: We become who we're meant to be.
is an upcoming direct sequel of Tomb Raider (2013)
, developed by Crystal Dynamics. The game will first be released in holiday 2015 exclusively for Xbox One
and Xbox 360
. A later PC release was teased in the German magazine PC Games
Previews: Trailer 1
The game contains examples of:
- Bears Are Bad News: In the trailer, Lara jumps off a cliff to escape a ravenous bear looking to eat her.
- Dual Wielding: Promotional images show Lara wielding twin climbing axes.
- Grim Up North: According to a developer, at least part of the game will take place in a remote area of Russia.
- In the Hood: Lara wears a blue hoodie in the trailer. It was replaced for a red parka in later information.
- Irony: In the first trailer, Lara's psychiatrist tells her to venture into the world more as part of her rehabilitation, only for it to be revealed that Lara has been (or will be) fighting through the wilderness, and mercenaries, in far off lands.
- Item Crafting: Lara will have to hunt for items to use to make upgrades to her arsenal.
- Like Father, Like Daughter: Invoked by Lara, who believes being a swashbuckling adventurer, like her father, is her calling in life.
- Recycled Trailer Music: James Horner's "The Car Chase" from the A Beautiful Mind soundtrack is used to great effect.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted in the first trailer, at least; Lara goes to visit a shrink in an attempt to get over the trauma of what happened to her on Yamatai. Whether or not the therapy is successful is another matter that we'll have to discover.