open/close all folders
- This lottery commercial plays it for comedy.
Anime And Manga
- One Piece
- Post-time skip had the fake Straw Hat crew attempting to hunt down a girl who refused to drink with them and the boy who attacked them with a plant Who happened to be the real Nami and Usopp. The Fake Luffy later "captured" someone who had earlier humiliated him who was none other than the real Luffy himself. Interestingly, none of the real Straw Hats openly broadcasted the fact that they were the authentic ones and when the Fake Straw Hats found out that they had interacted with the real ones, their reactions were appropriately stunned and terrified.
- Also the Straw Hats (minus Robin) when they first met Aokiji didn't fully understand how powerful the Marine's top people could be and how far Luffy and the others had to go before they even remotely stood a chance against one third of the Greatest Military Powers. Not long after that, the Straw Hats meet Kizaru, and then Luffy meets Akainu; those three remain the only ones who have ever made the Straw Hats seriously angry Ė while actually being their enemies Ė and gotten away with it.
- A variant serves as one of the Catch Phrases in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: "Who the hell do you think I am/we are?"
- In Gotham Knights #31, Batman tangles with an elite black-ops team:
Team leader: You don't know who you're dealing with.
Batman: Deren, Robert. Age twenty-three. Gave a kidney to his diabetic sister two years ago. Probably needs the other one.
Wilson, Scott. Thirty-four. Football knee injury.
Kellerman, Dana. Twenty-nine. Took shrapnel in the shoulder during the Gulf War. Still takes pain-killers for it.
Goldman, Eli. Thirty-one. Allergic to penicillin. Joint wounds are slow to heal and prone to infection.
Baithswaine, Gregory. Twenty-eight. Perfect medical record. So far.
- During the "Season of Mists" storyline of The Sandman, the demon Azrael seriously underestimates Morpheus and gets a lecture about it from the Shaper of Dreams for his troubles.
- In the first arc of Garth Ennis' The Punisher MAX, Frank's old partner Micro is trying to dissuade a trigger happy CIA spook that, if they want to take Frank alive, swarming him with Special Forces simply won't work.
Man: Some of these guys are meant to be pretty good. Delta Force, I think.Micro: I don't care if they're God's own anti-son of a bitch special forces. He'll go through them like a buzzsaw.
- In the Malibu Mortal Kombat comic, the Earthrealm heroes face a ninja named Siang, who warns them, "You have no idea with whom you deal." At this, Raiden begins crackling with thunder and warns, "Perhaps the same could be said of you."
- A Yakuza Mook tells this to Kyon in Kyon: Big Damn Hero. Since he's time traveling to the past, he already knows exactly whom he's dealing with.
- In Pokťmon: The Great Adventure, Mew says this to Mewtwo after the latter turns Ash into stone. She doesn't speak about herself, she's talking about the boy's mentor/surrogate father, Silver, who is a massive Papa Wolf and an extremely powerful Ice Aura Master
- Men in Black
Kay: Don't "Sir" me young man, you have no idea who you're dealing with.
- The Deaths of Ian Stone
Gray: You have no idea what you're dealing with here. They can alter reality, control minds. You only see what they want you to see.
- The villain of Red tries this on his captors while he's strapped to a chair, thinking his connections will keep him safe. They quickly prove him wrong. Similarly, Cooper is introduced by having a man strung up in a noose and standing on a chair while planting evidence to make it look like a suicide. The victim says, "Don't you know who I am?!" Cooper responds "Of course I do. Why do you think I'm here?", and kicks the chair out.
- A sex slave broker in Taken tries to use this line verbatim on Bryan. Bearing in mind that Bryan has already torn through half the broker's associates to find him and is currently in the process of shooting out the creep's limbs to disable him, it's safe to say Bryan knows exactly who he's dealing with, and he does not care.
- The Matrix
Lieutenant: I think we can handle one little girl. I sent two units, they're bringing her down now.Agent Smith: No, Lieutenant, your men are already dead.
- The "little girl" in question? Trinity, a hardcore operative of the Resistance against whom normal humans are simply out of their league.
- In the film version of The Musical Little Shop of Horrors, Audrey II sings in "Mean Green Mother From Outer Space":
Ya don't know what you're messin' with.You got no idea.Ya don't know what you're lookin' atWhen you're lookin' here.Ya don't know what you're up against,No, no way, no how.You don't know what you're messin' with,But I'm gonna tell you now!
- Happens in Blade II when Blade says, before setting off the light grenade,
"You obviously...do not know...who..you're...FUCKING WITH!"
- The bank manager in The Dark Knight.
Do you have any idea who you're stealing from? You and your friends are dead!
- Although he doesn't say the trope exactly, in No Country for Old Men Carson Wells tries to get the gist across to anyone who asks him about Anton Chigurh. He has mixed success.
Moss: If I was cuttin' deals, why wouldn't I go deal with this guy Chigurh?Wells: No no no. You don't understand. You can't make a deal with him.
- Back to the Future Part II: "Kid, I own the police."
- Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2009) say this to each other - after they tumble to the fact that they're assassins for rival organizations.
- "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry"
- The Avengers: Thor breaks Loki out of the S.H.I.E.L.D. Quinjet, hoping to make him see reason and return to Asgard. When Iron Man interrupts his "stop this take-over-the-world nonsense and come home, brother" speech, he's not happy.
Thor: You have no idea what you're dealing with.
Tony: Uh, Shakespeare in the park? "Doth mother know you weareth her drapes"?
- In Pitch Black, Riddick uses this twice.
- First when Fry tries to convince him to come back to save the other survivors, and he suggests she abandon them and come with him instead.
Fry: You're fucking with me, I know you are.
Riddick: You know I am? You don't know anything about me. I WILL leave you here.
- And a second time, retroactively, after killing a vicious alien in hand-to-hand combat:
Riddick: Did not know who he was fuckin' with!
- First when Fry tries to convince him to come back to save the other survivors, and he suggests she abandon them and come with him instead.
- In El Dorado there is an example of the antagonist using this as a caution to one of his underlings after John Wayne's character (a famous gunfighter) shoots the gun out of a mook's hand during a conflict in a Cantina. Wayne approaches the man, taunting him to pick up the gun. As he moves to do so the mook's boss, another infamous gunfighter named Macleod speaks and the following exchange occurs.
Macleod: Don't do it Bill...I can't afford to lose another man.Mook: You got a lot of faith in me, don't you Macleod.Macleod: Faith can move mountains Bill, but it can't beat a faster draw. There's only three men I know with his kind of speed. One's dead, the second's me. And the Third Man is Cole Thorton.John Wayne: There's a fourth.Macleod: Which one are you?John Wayne; I'm Thorton (cue the mook with an Oh Crap! face.)Macleod: See Bill? Aren't you glad I didn't let you draw?
- Inverted in Left Behind: The Movie. A Too Dumb to Live Big Bad Wannabe tries to intimidate the wrong person. Bonus points for getting paired with an all-but-literal case of Mugging the Monster and Do Not Taunt Cthulhu.
Jonathan: Do you have any idea who you're dealing with?!
- The Usual Suspects. The protagonists are doing an armed robbery of New York's Finest Taxi Service.
Cop: DO YOU KNOW WHO THE FUCK I AM?Robber: (yanks off his badge and nametag) We do now, jerkoff.
- Victor Maitland's line to Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop:
"Now listen to me, my tough little friend. I don't know from under what stone you crawled, or where you get these ridiculous ideas about me, but it seems painfully obvious you haven't the slightest fucking idea who you're dealing with. Now, my advice to you is crawl back to your little stone in Detroit before you get squashed."
- John McClane in Die Hard tries to warn Ellis that he can't negotiate with the terrorists:
McClane: Ellis, Ellis, you don't know who you're dealing with. They're going to kill you! Tell them you don't know me!Ellis: Oh, John, how can you talk that way after we've known each other for years!
- Said in the Nicholas Sparks movie The Lucky One, by the boorish ex-husband of the female half of the featured couple to the male half. The man counters his threats by informing him that he does know what kind of a person he's dealing with, having spent years in the military.
- There is a fairly old joke that goes as follows:
A university class is writing an exam. At the end of the exam period all of the students pass in their exams and leave, except one. He stays there for two more hours finishing his exam before going up to the professor to hand it in.
Professor: You can't hand in your exam two hours late! You get a zero!
Student: What?! This is an outrage! Do you have any idea who I am?!
Professor: Not really, no.
The student then sticks his exam in the middle of the stack and leaves the room.
- In the first novel, after Erast Fandorin is captured by a baddie for the nth time, said bad guy proceeds to explain that the conspiracy Fandorin is targeting is much bigger than he thinks.
- Artemis Fowl - "Stay back, human. You don't know what you're dealing with."
- Gets even funnier in the Time Paradox when Artemis says to his younger self: "Stay back, you don't know what you're dealing with." It didn't work that time either.
- Done again in the Last Guardian: After Artemis's spirit goes back in his clone, Artemis says this to Holly before he gets his memories back - "Stay back. You don't know what you're dealing with."
- Discworld - In Thief of Time, Lu-Tze has this done for him by the dojo master.
- In Peter David's Knight Life, when Gwen (Queen Quinevere reincarnated) summons a demon, it tells her that she has no idea what she's screwing with. She says just enough to prove she knows exactly what she's screwing with and then binds it to her will.
- Professor Moriarty says that to Sherlock Holmes in The Final Problem referring to himself and his organization.
- The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. A Communist Party official makes the mistake of saying this to Captain Belov, only to end up against the wall with a rifle across his neck while Belov points out that he doesn't know who he is dealing with.
- Star Wars: Used and subverted in one of the X-Wing novels. Two mooks are scared off from hassling Corran Horn and Mirax Terrik when they find out that Mirax is the daughter of notorious smuggler "Booster" Terrik. Later, Corran tries the same thing on someone bidding against them for some parts and weapons, only to find that the other bidder is "Booster" Terrik.
- We get this marvellous subversion from Graham McNeill's Ultramarines series. An important merchant tried to invoke this on Sergeant Learchus, whom he had just witnessed picking up a supply truck by himself and placing it back on the road, then forbidding the convoy from leaving the city.
Merchant: Don't you know who I am?!Learchus: No. Nor do I care.
Live Action TV
- Burn Notice - "Fight or Flight"
Bruce Gellman: You have no idea who you're dealing with.Michael Westen: No, I read the article. Most of it anyway. Scary guys, drugs, guns. Did I miss something?
- Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - "The People vs. Lois Lane"
D.A. Clemmons: I suggest you keep your emotions in check, Mr Kent. You obviously have no idea who you're dealing with, here.Clark Kent: Yeah, neither do you.
- 24 - "Day 5: 2:00 a.m.-3:00 a.m."
Bill Buchanan: You have no idea what you're dealing with, you little ass kisser!
- Kings - "The Sabbath Queen"
William Cross: You insist on keeping Andrew in the cold, you'd better learn to live in the dark.Queen Rose Benjamin: You have no idea what you're dealing with.
- Angel, episode 1:
Cordelia: You don't know who he is. Oh, boy... you're about to get your ass kicked.
Head demon: Do you know what walks this city? (Kate shoots him four times; he barely flinches) You have no comprehension! You do not understand what stands before you!
- Detective Kate Lockley finds a criminal ring is secretly run by demons, who naturally assume she really doesn't know who she's dealing with.
Angel: A big, ugly drug-running demon, who thinks he is a lot scarier than he is, maybe? Yeah. She knows.
Mr. Ashet: You have no idea who I am, do you, Miss Raiden? Or of the dire importance of recent events.Raiden: I know enough to go to Tahiti.Mr. Ashet: Well said. Perhaps, then, I won't kill you for your— (The Beast punches his fist through Ashet's chest)Buffy: You ever heard the expression, "biting off more than you can chew"? ...Okay, um, how about the expression "Vampire Slayer"?Vampire: What the hell are you talking about?Buffy: Wow. Never heard that one? Okay, how about, "Oh God, my leg, my leg?" (Breaks his leg)Vampire: Oh God, my leg! Ah!
- And subverted in typical Joss Whedon style.
- Buffy also has the First Evil who says this quite a lot.
- In a scene from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
Police Officer: Now wait a minute, buddy, who the hell do you think you're talking to?
- Played for Laughs in The Dick Van Dyke Show episode "Buddy, Can you Spare a Job?" as Buddy's replacement Jackie Brewster heckles Mel.
Mel: Listen, do you know who I am?Jackie: Don't you know who you are?
- Crops up in Doctor Who, especially in the revival.
- Merlin uses variations of this whenever he has to use his powers on people.
Bad Guy: You don't even have a sword.
Merlin: I don't need one.
- Also, when Merlin is cornered by Agravaine and his men in a cave:
Merlin: (reluctantly) Be careful.
- Merlin uses variations of this whenever he has to use his powers on people.
- The second season finale of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine has a slight variant. A Dominion agent is confronted at weapon-point about who she is and what she wants. She tells the heroes "You have no idea what's begun here," before teleporting away. She's right: the Dominion later nearly lays waste to the Alpha Quadrant.
- A variant appears when the cast of The Walking Dead is captured in Terminus:
Rick: They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out.
Abraham: Find out what?
Rick: They're screwing with the wrong people.
- In one episode of Veronica Mars, Logan pulls exactly the subversion listed under "jokes" (asking angrily if a teacher knows who he is, then turning in an exam late when the teacher says no and he doesn't care.)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: When Ganondorf meets Link for the first time.
"Pathetic little fool! Do you realize who you're dealing with? I am Ganondorf and soon I will rule the world!"
- In Max Payne, when Max confronts the cop traitor B.B., the latter keeps repeating that Max "has no idea how huge this is", referring to the conspiracy that Max has already caught wind of at that point.
- Team Fortress 2 - The Scout in "Meet the Scout".
- In the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC for Mass Effect 2, Shepard can invoke this towards a hostage-taker, listing off some of their more infamous accomplishments so far. And the following is the Paragon version of the threat;
Shepard: I sacrificed hundreds of human lives to save the Destiny Ascension. I unleashed the Rachni on the galaxy. So for your sake, I hope your escape plan doesn't hinge on me hesitating to shoot a damn hostage.
- Said in Freelancer by Governor Tekagi, whom Trent thinks is just a corrupt Kusari politician, who suddenly develops a bad case of Voice of the Legion and Glowing Eyes of Doom.
- Said almost word-for-word in Popful Mail when the fake king reveals his true form.
Fake King: You don't know who you're dealin' with! Let me show ya somethin'!
- Delivered by Hades to Ryoma Nagare, when they fight in Super Robot Wars Z3: Jigoku-Hen
Hades: You who use that destructive power, dares to oppose me!? You have no idea what the Getter rays can do!
Ryouma: Shut up! I'm tired of false gods! I believe in the Getter Rays! Unlike you, I'm not afraid of them!
Hades: Getter Rays will be the end of us all!
- In The Force Unleashed II, when Starkiller faces corrupt ruler Baron Merillion Tarko, Tarko angrily says he has no idea who he is dealing with. Of course, since Starkiller is an uber-powerful Jedi and Tarko is just a guy with a bunch of mooks and droids, Tarko was the one who didn't know who he was dealing with.
- In Portal 2, this is part of Cave Johnson's famous rant.
Cave: You know, I've been thinking... When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it tried to give Cave Johnson lemons! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!
- Irenicus in Baldur's Gate II seems irritated any time anyone is foolish enough to try to attack him. In particular: "You dare to attack me here? Do you even know whom you face?" (Then everyone dies.) Being a level 30 mage in a world where level 20 means legendary power (at least until the BG 2 expansion), he can hardly be blamed.
- Dominic Deegan
- When Miranda Deegan shows up at the climax of an early arc, the infernomancer sent to kill her boasts that by coming out in the open, she's just signed her own death warrant. She responds that he clearly has no idea just who he's messing with, and quickly shows just why she's considered one of the world's most powerful wizards.
- In a different story arc similar words are spoken to a ruthless gang of cutthroat thieves when they almost without intending to kill Dominic's GF, with a reference the readers will get to this incident as he tells them how they don't want to know what she did to the last person to hurt a family member.
- Subverted in this Cyanide & Happiness strip, in which a diner repeatedly asks a waiter, "Do you know who I am?". It seems like he's using it to get his own way, but the punchline is that he's suffering from amnesia.
- Billy Thatcher from morphE tries pulling this card when he wakes up in a crate. He believes his status as a genius celebrity will make his captors regret their decision. His captors are mages. Powerful mages who couldn't care less what mundane wrath Billy could conjure with his wealth and fame.
- Epic Rap Battles of History
- Melvin says a variant of this to Joey while his Millenium Rod turns into a lightsaber in Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series.
Melvin: You really have no clue what your fucking with here, do you?Joey: Uh, yeah, I'll just be getting out of the way now.Melvin: Yeah that's what I thought.
Melvin: The man did not know what he was fucking with.
- And later, after killing his own abusive father in horrible fashion:
- In Worm, PRT Director Tagg explains to Skitter, who murdered his predecessor and who he ordered attacked in her civilian identity, why she can't win against the PRT, and against him in particular.
Director Tagg: All of this goes someplace. Do you really see yourself making it five more years without being killed or put in prison?Skitter: I havenít really thought about it.Director Tagg: I have. Bad publicity fades with time. So do welts and scabs. Five or ten years from now, provided the world makes it that long, nobody will remember anything except the fact that we fought back. Good publicity will overwrite the bad, carefully chosen words and some favors called in with people in the media will help whitewash any of our mistakes. Weíre an institution.Skitter: So you think you automatically win? Or youíre guaranteed to win in the long run?Director Tagg: No. They didnít pick me to head this cityís PRT division because Iím a winner, Ms. Taylor. They picked me because Iím a scrapper. Iím a survivor. Iím the type thatís content to get the shit kicked out of me, so long as I give the other guy a bloody nose. Iím a stubborn motherfucker, I wonít be intimidated, and I wonít give up. The last few Directors in Brockton Bay met a bad end, but Iím here to stay.Skitter: You hope.Director Tagg: I know. You want to fight this system? Iíll make sure it fights back.
- The Navy Seal Copypasta
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? Iíll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and Iíve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and Iím the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. Youíre fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and thatís just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little ďcleverĒ comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldnít, you didnít, and now youíre paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. Youíre fucking dead, kiddo.
- Beast Wars - "Optimal Situation"
Blackarachnia: No, Bowser Boy. You have no idea what you're dealing with.
- The Ren & Stimpy Show episode "Stimpy's Fan Mail" has Ren imagine what it would be like to be president:
- Invoked by Adam DeCobray in G.I. Joe: Renegades to James McCullan, moments before revealing himself to be Cobra Commander.
- Animaniacs - "Bagdad Cafe"
- Sodarn Insain: Do you know who I am?!Yakko: Why, did you forget?
- And in another episode:
Beethoven: Do you know who I am?Yakko: No, but maybe if you hum a few bars...
- Steven Universe - "Jailbreak"
- Jackie Chan Adventures - "The Masks of the Shadowkhan"
Tarakudo: You have no idea who you are dealing with.Uncle: Enlighten me.Uncle: *gasps* So you are Japanese!
- In the Defenders of the Earth episode "The Gods Awake", Ming teams up with a humanoid being known as Mystic (who's really the destroyer god Shiva) to seek a sacred borje, with which he hopes to conquer the world. Mandrake, however, is able to sense Mystic/Shiva's true nature and, along with the other Defenders, hastens to warn Ming:
Mandrake: Ming, do not let it have it!Ming: Have you lost your senses, conjuror?Mandrake: He is not who he seems! He wants to destroy everything!Ming: Is this true?Mystic/Shiva: All true - and more.Ming: Then perhaps I should withhold this from you.Mystic/Shiva: Impudent mortal! Do you think you can keep that which is mine by destiny?! Give it to me! Give - it - to - me!Ming: No!Mystic/Shiva: Give it to me!Mystic/Shiva uses his telekinetic powers to take the borje from Ming, then transforms into his true form.
- During the early 1990s in Britain, a traffic policeman stopped a guy speeding in a Mercedes-Benz SL and before taking the ID papers asked sarcastically: "Who do you think you are, Nigel Mansell?" The driver answered calmly: "No, officer. My name is Ayrton Senna da Silva."