open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- During the fight between Naruto and Pain, Hinata arrives on the battlefield to help Naruto. After Naruto pleads her to run away, she confesses her love to Naruto and tries to fight Pain, but ends up getting stabbed. Believing she's dead, Naruto goes into an Unstoppable Rage of epic proportions.
- After getting called out by Sai for how much of a burden telling Naruto to bring back Sasuke was, Sakura tries confessing to Naruto that she loves him now. Under a lot of stress at this moment, Naruto easily sees right through her, calls her out for lying, and rejects her outright by telling her that he hates people who lie to themselves.
- Madara Uchiha reveals to Obito Uchiha that he manipulated things to get Rin killed so as to make Obito his pupil. Obito, who was starting to become a good guy again, fully switches sides as a result.
- In The Last: Naruto the Movie, when Naruto confesses his love to Hinata, she's depressed about her still-missing younger sister Hanabi, so she doesn't respond. Then Toneri ruins the moment, and Hinata coldly "rejects" Naruto and goes with Toneri (in order to save Hanabi). Thinking it's a real rejection, Naruto does not take it well, nearly gets killed, passes out for three days, and comes very close to giving up on everything. Thankfully Sakura sets him straight.
Film - Live Action
- Played for laughs in the movie Bananas, where a felon rushes into a courtroom to confess his crime, but when he realizes this was the wrong trial, makes a break for it.
- In the climax of Joe Versus the Volcano where Patricia "confesses" to Joe that she loves him... right before he is supposed to face his titular opponent.
Patricia: I love you.Joe: I love you, too! I've never been in love with anybody before, either! It's great! I'm glad! ...But the timing stinks. I gotta go.
Live Action TV
- In The A-Team, Season 5 "Family Reunion", Murdock finds out partway through the episode that one of their clients for the episode, A.J. Bancroft, is Face's Disappeared Dad. Bancroft begs Murdock to let him break the news, but he can never quite work up the nerve and dies before managing to do it. This leaves Murdock to tell Face about it. As Face has always been upset about never having a family growing up, he understandably does not react well.
- In an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry confesses something to a mechanic just before he's about to fix Jeff's classic car, causing the mechanic to refuse fixing it, and he can't find any others who work on such cars.
- In the Glee episode "I Kissed A Girl" Puck is comforting Quinn when she feels unworthy of love and has depression after giving their child up for adoption. Puck chooses this moment to tell her that he slept with Shelby, the woman who adopted their child and Quinn's best friend's mom.
- At the end of one episode of Necessary Roughness, Dani finally realizes that she still has strong feelings for Matthew and goes to him to confess her love. Matthew, who's since moved on to a relationship that he's happy with, is less than appreciative.
- George confesses to his girlfriend that she's pretentious, and so she goes crazy— right while she's in the middle of doing Jerry's taxes, causing her to throw all his accounts away.
- In the first half of the Grand Finale, the private plane bearing Jerry, George, Kramer, and Elaine seems to be dropping into a crash landing, and while they all panic, George confesses to Jerry that he cheated in their contest, which means Jerry was the real winner. Afterwards, Elaine starts to make a confession to Jerry as well, but before she tells him, the plane stabilizes, and all is well again.
- A plot point in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Just as Sweeney is about to kill Judge Turpin, Anthony bursts in and blurts out the fact that Johanna (the Judge's ward, who he intends to marry and is insanely possessive of) has agreed to elope with him. Cue a massive Oh, Crap! moment. Not only does it foil Anthony's own rescue mission, it also robs Sweeney of his chance to revenge himself on the Judge, tipping him into a Heroic B.S.O.D..
- Defied in Tales of the Abyss. Luke considers telling Tear he loves her, but because he is Secretly Dying and will not likely survive the final battle, he decides not to tell her because it'll hurt Tear.
- In The Walking Dead Episode 4, Ben finally decides to tell Kenny about his dealings with the bandits which led to the death of Katjaa and Duck while walkers, that were accidentally let in thanks to him, are trying to break in. Kenny becomes furious and tries to attack Ben, but he was held back so he decides to not let him on the boat when they escape. And before escaping the area, Lee has to decide Ben's fate to live or die and Kenny silently encourages Lee to let him die.
- In American Dad!, Season 10 "Rubbernecker", Roger and Klaus accidentally spill some wine on the new couch and they try to cover it up. Their cover gets blown by an insurance adjuster who's investigating Stan's story and Rogers pins the blame on Klaus. Roger calls Stan to confess that he was the one who spilled the wine on the couch but he called during the time the insurance adjuster was investigating Stan's car and he finds Stan's phone in his car with photos to prove that Stan has committed insurance fraud.
- In an episode of Family Guy, the Griffins are locked in a panic room after their house gets broken into by burglars, and the room is being slowly flooded with water. Right before the water reaches the ceiling and drowns them, Peter feels that he has one last thing he should tell his family; He did not care for The Godfather. However, this trope is subverted when instead of yelling at Peter for the inappropriate timing, they're shocked that he didn't like the movie and begin debating him on why it's good.
- In the Futurama episode "Love and Rockets", Bender has been dating the Planet Express ship's AI, and decides to break up with her while the crew is trying to escape from angry Omnicronians. The ship is so distraught she gets hit, leaving the crew stranded in space. Later, Bender said "the moment seemed right" and he likes his break-ups to be as devastating as possible.
- In Total Drama World Tour, Alejandro invokes this several times to mess with the other team:
- In "Newf Kids on the Rock", a cursed DJ has to kiss a fish for a challenge and he notices that the fish has a Egyptian symbol on it. Alejandro tells him that that kissing the fish will break his Egyptian curse, but by the end of the episode it's revealed that Alejandro drew the symbol on the fish. In "Jamaica Me Sweat", with DJ believing that the curse is lifted, he starts doing well in the competition and he believes he can win. But when Alejandro "accidentally" confessed to Tyler about the truth about the fish with DJ standing behind him, DJ starts doing poorly and eventually gets eliminated.
- In "Greece's Pieces", he invokes Tyler into doing this during the competition to create a rift between Gwen and Courtney, who were starting to become friends. Tyler witnessed Duncan and Gwen kissing each other despite Duncan being in a relationship with Courtney. Before the tie breaker match can begin, when Tyler reveals the kiss to everyone, Courtney became furious at Gwen. And while their team won the challenge, Courtney began trying to sabotage her own team into losing so she can vote Gwen off.