Not Your Daddy's X
An oft-used stock phrase when it comes to merchandising or advertising, done to ensure the intended consumer that their product has evolved beyond its original form. How true such a bold statement actually is tends to be subject to personal opinion. This can also use other family members in place of "father". "Mother", "Grampa", or "Grandma" are the most common. Also appears as "isn't your father's".
- Late 1980's: "This is not your father's Oldsmobile... This is the new generation of Olds."
- DC Comics' Punchclock Hero team The Conglomorate once announced themselves with "This is not your father's Justice League."
- The first issue of Transformers Generation 2 proudly proclaimed, "This is not your father's Autobot."
- A TV spot for the new Star Trek movie advertised it with "Not your father's Star Trek.".
- Ads for 9 touted it as "not your little brother's cartoon movie".
- Farscape was often advertised with the slogan "This ain't your daddy's Sci-Fi."
- Lewis Black, during one of his "Back in Black" segments on The Daily Show (this one entitled "Sexy Gaming"), has this to say about Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball.
Lewis Black: "Now this is not your father's Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. This one lets you choose which girl you get to be, which tiny bikini she gets to wear, and... uh, what's it matter after that?"
- An early issue of Wizard magazine described DC's Adam Strange as "Not your father's superhero. He's your grandfather's" — due to the fact that the only time when he was especially popular was in the early Silver Age.
- Miranda Lambert's "Mama's Broken Heart": "This ain't my mama's broken heart."
- From RiffTrax: "These aren't your daddy's drug dealers. They're your grandfather's!"
- From the Powerthirst commercial: "These aren't your dad's puns. These are energy puns! TURBO PUNS!"
- A Machinima video called "Counter-Strike for Kids", advertising a Lighter and Softer version of Counter-Strike, ends with an ad for "Counter-Strike: Extreme Gore Edition", described as "not your dad's kind of game".
- The Pulse
Shepard Smith: "This isn't your father's news magazine."
- Clothing brand Not Your Daughter's Jeans.
- Included among the long list of Content Warnings in Brawl in the Family's "Nasty" strip is a notice that "This isn't your father's Brawl in the Family."
Dad: "Say there, sport! This is one squeaky-clean comic!"
- One episode of G.I. Joe: Renegades has Flint remarking about the laser-based weaponry manufactured by M.A.R.S. Industries (which is slowly beginning to replace bullet-based guns as the weapon of choice on the frontlines), warning his men, "Watch the recoil! These are plasma-pulse rifles, not your daddy's M16s!"