- There are a couple of Shout Outs to the developers' native Scotland. The railroad bridge leading from San Fierro is obviously modelled on the Forth Railway Bridge. There are probably several more in the series.
- There's also the Mr.T hair and beard you can get. And The Lil' Probe Inn? And Kurt Cobain.
- Certain NPCs look like Will Smith.
- A pedestrian found in the upstate parts of San Andreas looks almost identical to Sharon Stone as Catherine Tramell in Basic Instinct, right down to the iconic white dress and twisted hairstyle.
- Look at a picture of Ryder◊, then a picture of Eric Wright◊, a.k.a. Eazy-E, a pioneer of Gangsta Rap.
- Blink and you'll miss it: During the convenience store/tanker robbery with Catalina, the convenience store's bulletproof outer glass has a logo in the corner that says Max Pane. You can see it most clearly just at the end of the mission's opening cutscene.
- Clucking Bell may be a reference to Blackadder; at a stressful moment Edmund says he's thinking of "a phrase that rhymes with [it]"
- In the mission "Air Raid", you have to gun down RC planes that are coming to bomb Zero's antennas. After you gun a few down, Zero may call out "Great kid, don't get cocky!"
- In one of the car-modding garages, one of the custom paintjobs for the Sultan◊ is very similar to the one seen on the Subaru Impreza used by the company to participate in the World Rally Championship.
- There is a reference to the original Half-Life inside Area 69, which bears a striking resemblance to the Black Mesa Research Facility, complete with Gordon Freeman's crowbar sitting on a table.
- The mission "Just Business" features a large truck breaking off of a bridge over a flood control channel into the channel below. It looks suspiciously note like a scene from Terminator 2: Judgment Day, released one year before the game is set.
- Certain NPCs are dressed as Cuba Gooding, Jr.'s character in Boyz n the Hood.
- One mission for The Truth which has CJ stealing a combine harvester from a farm run by survivalists is entitled Body Harvest.
- The Truth's preoccupation with the number 23 is a reference to Illuminatus!
- Los Santos cemetery is home to a crypt where you see a lounge chair, TV and pizza boxes, suggesting that Spike vacationed here before moving to Sunnydale. And in what cannot be a coincidence the Triads have as part of their business association a bespectacled cutie named Fred.
- The first mission in San Fierro (alongside a hippie) is of course titled "Wear flowers in your hair".
- Ken Rossenberg has a pet bird named Tony, named after the protagonist of Scarface, and even quotes a line from the flick.Tony: I never fucked anybody over in my life who didn't have it coming to them.
Shout Out / Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas