A character establishes their cachet by making a laconic self-statement, often in the form of a Badass Creed. This commonly follows the formula:
A variation inserts the character's role or vocation:
This trope echoes the old military tradition of revealing nothing to your captors but "name, rank and serial number," as well as the poetry of saga.
See also Badass Creed.
- All-Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder — "Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman."
- X-Factor — "I'm Layla Miller. I know stuff."
- X-Men — I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!
- Daredevil and Spider-Man supporting character Ben Urich, "investigative reporter for the Daily Bugle."
Urich: I've been saying that for so long I feel like "investigative reporter for the Daily Bugle" is my last name.
- Hellsing Ultimate Abridged: "Hello. My name is Walter C. Dornez, ex-vampire hunter and butler to the Hellsing Organization. I answer the door, I clean up the estate, and I take out the trash. And I also kill self-entitled little twats like yourself."
- Apocalypto — "My name is Jaguar Paw. I am a hunter."
- Bonnie and Clyde — "This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."
- The Doors — "I'm the Lizard King. I can do anything."
- A Fish Called Wanda — "I'm Harvey Manfren-gen-sen-ten. I'm, uh... with the CIA".
- And then, in Fierce Creatures — "My name is Rollo Lee, and as of yesterday, I have assumed command of this zoo."
- Gladiator: - "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of etc etc..."
- Lawrence of Arabia :
Auda: I am Auda Abu Tayi, does Auda serve?
Lawrence: Lawrence. I've been seconded to the Arab Bureau.
- Parodied a few times in Mystery Men, particularly in the Terrible Interviewees Montage.
The Waffler: I... am the Waffler. With my griddle of justice, I bash the enemy in the head, or I burn them like so! I also have some truth syrup, which is low in fat.
Postal Carrier: I'm the mailman. Here's your mail.
- The comic book adaptation adds a snarky one, based on the fact that they're conducting the interviews in the front yard of one of the heroes.
- The Princess Bride:
- The Prophecy - Christopher Walken, as Gabriel, has a great one.
I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls. And from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never understanding why.
- Public Enemies: - "I'm John Dillinger. I rob banks."
- Pulp Fiction - "I'm Winston Wolf. I solve problems."
- The Rock:
Stanley Goodspeed: I'm an agent with the federal, FBI, well... I'm Stanley Goodspeed.
John Mason: But of course you are.note
- Shutter Island : - "My name is EDWARD DANIELS !"(twice). Later : - "My name is Andrew Laeddis. And I murdered my wife in the spring of fifty two".
- In Pitch Black, there are two in the same scene.
Paris: Paris P. Ogilvie. Antiquities dealer. Entrepreneur.
Riddick: Richard B. Riddick. Escaped convict. Murderer.
- In Sky High (2005), Ron Wilson, bus driver, always refers to himself as "Ron Wilson, bus driver."
- In Star Wars: "I am C-3PO! Human-Cyborg Relations!"
- Danger Man varies the order a bit: "A messy job? That's when they usually call on me or someone like me. Oh, yes — my name is Drake. John Drake."
- Doctor Who:
- "I'm The Doctor. I make things better."
- And "Harriet Jones, MP Flydale North," later "Prime Minister" and former Prime Minister.
- "Good evening. I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time. And this is my wife."
- Dragnet: "My name's Friday. I carry a badge."
- Saturday Night Live:
- I am Lothar, of the Hill People. Much have I seen, and much have I done.
- Hi. I'm Matt. I'm a radar technician.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine:
- [threateningly] "Maybe you didn't read the crew roster, but my name is Dax, and I'm the new science officer on this garbage scow, and you were in my seat."
- "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."
- BlazBlue: I am the White Void. I am the Cold Steel. I am the Just Sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world, and cleanse it in the fires of destruction! I am Hakumen! The end has come!
- Dragon Age II: "I am Cassandra Pentaghast, Seeker of the Chantry."
- MadWorld: "I'm Jack. I don't help people. I kill them."
- Monkey Island: "I'm Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate!"
- Sam & Max: Freelance Police: "I'm Sam. This is Max. We bust punks."
- Team Fortress 2: "I am Heavy Weapons Guy. And this is my weapon."
- "I'm an Engineer, that means I solve problems. [...] I solve practical problems."
- Twisted Metal: "I am Calypso, and I thank you for playing Twisted Metal!"
- The Nostalgia Critic — "Hello, I'm the Nostalgia Critic. I remember it, so you don't have to."
- DuckTales (1987), "Armstrong": "I. AM. ARMSTRONG. I. AM. YOUR FRIEND!!!"
- Looney Tunes - "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius."
- Megas XLR - "I am Ender. I end things."
- Transformers Animated - "I am Wreck-Gar. I dare to be stupid."
- Metalocalypse: "I'm Doctor Rockzo the Rock N' Roll Clown! I do cocaine!"
- The Fairly OddParents!: "I'm Doug Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome."
- Rocky and Bullwinkle: Boris introduces many of his alter egos this way.