Democracy is a comic book written by Alecos Papadatos, Annie Di Donna (who have also worked in Logicomix) and Abraham Cawa in 2015.
The nigh before the Marathon battle begins, a warrior sees a nightmare with Gorgo turning her gaze towards him. Frightened, he asks Leander what his dream means and Leandros tells him a story back when his was little and saw the tyrant Hipparchus and his dad being murdered in front of his eyes. After that, he is forced to leave his city-state and go to Delphi. There, he meets Kleisthenis, an ostracized citizen who plans on forming a new region to Athens.
Together, they return back...
Democracy contains examples of:
- 24-Hour Armor: The Spartans wear their armors constantly, regardless the weather and the climate change.
- Adult Fear: Just the look at Promachus' face when he sees his son in danger says it all.Promachus: Leander go away! Run!
- Armor Is Useless: When the Athenians rebel against the Spartans, they easily injured and killed many of them, even though they were heavily armored.
- Athens and Sparta: The story is not about their animosity, but it features these city-states.
- Awful Truth: Leander when he finds out that the reason why Armodios and Aristoghiton killed Hipparchus not as an act of rebellion, but because they were lovers and he tried to separate them. Needless to say, he didn't take it well.
- Badass Gay: Armodios and Aristoghiton, the Tyrant slayers, were lovers.
- Bait-and-Switch Tyrant: While Pisistratus started as a tyrant, he cared about his people and tried to beautify the city.
- Berserk Button: The Athenians seems easy to control, right Kleomenes? Heh, you shouldn't abolish their parliament.
- Blue Is Heroic: Leander is The Hero of the story and he wears a blue loincloth.
- Color Motifs: Almost every character has one.
- Light blue for Leander, since he wears a light blue Loincloth ever since he was a teenager.
- Yellow fo Iro and generally, to the Pythias. She wears a yellow dress.
- Purple for Hechekratis. He wears a purple toga.
- Green for Isagoras. He also wears a green toga.
- Gray for Kleisthenis. He wears a gray toga.
- Doting Parent: Promachos does whatever he can to ensure a future for his son.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The graphic novel's title is "Democracy" and the story is about how well, Democracy was formed.
- Forced to Watch: Leandros sees his dad being killed in front of his eyes.
- The Ghost: Iro's dad is mentioned by her uncle, but we never meet her. The only thing that we know about him is that he wanted his daughter to be Pythia.
- Gorgeous Greek: Leander, Iro and Danae. All three of them have good bone-structure and appealing facial characteristics. The last is even being called that by the first one.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: At the beginning of the fifth chapter, Athena, Apollo and Dionysus appear wearing modern-day clothes, dancing a traditional Greek dance and making a lecture about history and mortals' fate, specifically intended to the audience.
- Love at First Sight: Leander, twice.
- The first time, when he is in Kardia and he meets Iro. He calls her "the summer".
- The second time, when Danae visits him because she has heard good things about his works and he is bewitched by her beauty.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Athena comes to help The Hero, but as Lenader stated at his comrades, it's them who control their fates, not the gods.
- Missing Mom: Leander' mom is not in the story and it's not known what happened to her.
- Mr. Fanservice: Leander is seen wearing only a Loincloth in all the scenes and he has nice facial features.
- Satellite Character: Smintheas, a slave that Leander meets at Delphi, serves merely as his Only Friend.
- Sleazy Politician: Hechekratis and Isagoras. They both plan to strengthen the power of rich men.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Leander and Iro, for two reasons. The first is because Iro is a Pythia and she ought to stay to Delphi (while Leandros wants to return beck to Athens) and the second is because she took seriously a myth about two lovers with the same names as theirs and who ended uo dead.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Leander. The only clothe that he wears is a blue Loincloth.
- You Killed My Father: Hechekratis and his Scythe archer killed Leander' father.