open/close all folders
Played By: Vanessa Stacey
Seasons: S1, S2, S3, S5
- Big Fun: A very rare female example, Alice was a Cool Big Sis type of a character that several characters loved dearly for her often cheerful attitude.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: She was made a regular cast member for seasons 2 and 3 because she was voted the best guest character of the first season in a fan poll.
- Put on a Bus: Taken by the Technos in series 4, returns briefly for the last few episodes of season 5.
- Stout Strength: While she often was a fun, cheery gal to be around, if needed, she also could knock peoples' heads together, quite literally.
- Team Mom: For her own tribe in the beginning, and more or less for the Mall Rats whenever Amber wasn't around.
Played By: Beth Allen
Seasons: S1, S3, S4, S5
- Team Mom: A role she naturally assumes but occasionally resents.
- Teen Pregnancy: Gets pregnant via Bray, and gives birth on the run from the Technos, naming the child after his father.
- The Captain: Many of the other Mallrats thought of her this way after her false death in Season 1
- The Kirk: Rational, practical, empathetic, and a good leader.
- Not Quite Dead: it turns out in season 3 she survived the explosion on Eagle Mountain at the start of season 2, and has forged a new identity as "Eagle", now leader of the Eco tribe.
Played By: Lucas Hill (S4), Adam Sondej (S5)
- Dead Guy Junior: Amber names the baby after his father, who it later turns out has been "deleted" by the Technos.
Played By: Dwayne Cameron
- Chick Magnet: Girls go to war over him.
- The Hero: A role he grew into over the first season.
- Imaginary Love Triangle: Believes he and Amber are in one with Pride.
Played By: Beanie Palmer (S1), Kiriana Chase (S1), Story Rose (S2), Eva Rose (S2), Ariel Garland (S2), Georgia-Taylor Woods (S3-S5)
Played By: Charley Murphy Samau
Played By: Jaimee Kaire-Gataulu
- Bratty Teenage Daughter (to her pseudo-parents, Salene and Trudy)
- Guile Hero: Once the older Mallrats start trusting her with her own tasks in their dealings with the Technos, it turns out that she's rather good at manipulating Ved.
Played By: Ashwath Sundarasen
Played By: Ashwath Sundarasen
- Badass Bookworm: Dal proves to be this during the tribe circus invasion of the mall.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Jack's red. He's the practical, cool head that sees Jack's inventive ideas through to their application
- The Smart Guy: Like Jack he had a history of tinkering with electronics and chemistry sets, despite being one of the more younger members of the tribe, he was one of the smartest, even helping Jack to repair his rainwater collection system.
Played By: Ella Wilks
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: For Amber after her "death" in season 2.
Played By: Jennyfer Jewell
- Heroic BSoD: After Jack is taken by the Technos in early Season 4.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: towards Jack, and briefly Luke as part of his HeelFace Turn.
- The Smart Girl: Also a computer expert like Jack, which helps form their attachment.
Played By: Vicky Rodewyk
"I'm a scientist ... I lose things, forget birthdays and I'm more familiar with numbers than words!"'
Played By: Michael Wesley Smith
- Fake Defector: In Season 5.
- Gadgeteer Genius: having a talent for science and technology, he's responsible (along with Dal) for various inventions that benefit the tribe, including a water-filtration system and a wind turbine built from scrap.
- Hollywood Atheist: Averted. He doesn't put much stake in Tai-San's prophecies because they are unscientific.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Dal's blue. His ideas are generally more fanciful and inventive than Dal's; but Dal is practical enough that when he and Jack work together they come up with some pretty amazing stuff, like a water purification system and an electric generator.
- The Smart Guy: Came up with various inventions to help make life easier and like it was for the Tribe, as described above.
Played By: Ari Boyland
Seasons: S1, S2, S3, S5
"I don't need anybody."
Played By: Caleb Ross
- Abusive Parents: Lex's father beat both him and his mother.
- Anti-Hero: He's more than willing to take the role of The Big Guy whenever he gets something out of it.
- Cartwright Curse: A variant on it - Lex's partners are fine unless they say "I do."
- Dirty Cop: As sheriff, he's known to take bribes.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Very much a jerk when he was introduced - and occasionally even later seasons as well - but he always came through for the Mall Rats, helping them to fight off attacking Tribes.
- Never Learned to Read: A major source of his insecurity. The first episode contradicted this, but after that the series was pretty consistent about it, and strongly implied that he had Dyslexia.
- Off the Wagon: A pretty good depiction
- The Rival: To Bray and pretty much any other postpubescent male.
Played By: Beth Chote
Played By: Laura Wilson
Played By: Jacinta Wawatai
Played By: Sarah Major
Played By: Zachary Best
- The Voiceless: Subverted. Although deaf, he does occasionally speak.
- Psychic Powers: He feels "vibrations," as his sister, Patsy, puts it.
Played By: Ryan Runciman
- Beware the Nice Ones: Ryan is one of the nicest people, ever, yet if you get him angry he will beat the crap out of you.
- The Danza: Though it's most likely just a coincidence seeing how he's no more prominent than most of the characters.
Played By: Victoria Spence
- Team Mom: Started as the more domestic version but eventually took Amber's place in the tribe.
Played By: Lucas Hayward
Played By: Michelle Ang
- The Fundamentalist: Vehemently opposed to modern western science and medicine.
- The Lost Lenore: To Lex, in later seasons.
- Pragmatic Hero: She does whatever is necessary to keep the group stable, and isn't ashamed of any of it. 'Necessary' has, to her, included sleeping with Zandra's boyfriend, defecting to the Mall Rats' enemies, and saving The Guardian's life.
"Come anywhere near Bray or Brady and I will scratch your eyes out!"
Played By: Antonia Prebble
- FaceHeel Turn: In Series 2 after returning from the Chosen.
- HeelFace Turn: After visiting the Nomads.
- Heroic Sacrifice: While not resulting in death Trudy allows herself to be taken away by the Chosen to save Lex's life
- Teen Pregnancy: much of the first series revolves around her getting pregnant by Zoot and her vulnerability after the Locos throw her out.
- Who's Laughing Now?: In Series 3, now that she has the Mallrats at her mercy:
- Trudy: "Do you remember Jack? When I was just a scared pregnant girl begging to be allowed to stay here?"Salene: "We took you in Trudy!"Trudy: "I was never welcome here! Do you have any idea how that felt?"
Played By: Amy Morrison
Played By: Meryl Cassie
- The Cast Show Off: Sings the series intro, and in most of the endings as well, as lead or backing vocalist.
- Dark Action Girl: A skilled fighter and an extremely ruthless one, with no compunctions about fighting dirty and no clear loyalties.
- Enemy Mine: Due to the break up of the Locos Ebony is forced to work with the Mallrats for most of Season 2, though neither side likes this arrangement.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: She'll work with or against the Mallrats as best suits her needs at the time.
- Not So Stoic: When it comes to Jay.
- Still Wearing the Old Colors: After joining the Mallrats, Ebony still wears the red and black clothing associated with the Locos, her old tribe.
- Wild Card: After the fall of the Locos, her only consistent allegiance is to herself, and she switches sides as best suits her needs at the moment.
Played By: Keegan Fulford-Wierzbicki
Played By: Lee Donoghue
"Power and Chaos - it's the only way!"
Played By: Daniel James
- Big Bad: As leader of the Locos (the main antagonist tribe) during season 1.
- Burn Baby Burn: Gets sent off like this.
- Dark Messiah: Preaches an ideal of "power and chaos" (rejecting the old world of the adults with their rules) which the Locos adopt; after his death, the Chosen take this and turn him into a god figure.
Played By: Damon Andrews
Seasons: S2-S3, S5
- Big Bad: as leader of the cult "The Chosen" in Season 2-3, which kills/enslaves the members of the other tribes.
- The Fundamentalist: He turns Zoot into a god.
Played By: Jacob Tomuri
Played By: Megan Alatini
Played By: James Napier
- The Captain: This is his role as the military head of Ram's organization.
Played By: Calen Maiava-Paris
- Big Bad: after taking over the Technos in Season 5.
- Manipulative Bastard: though the Technos appear to be reduced in power after being overthrown in season 4, he cleverly manipulates his way to power.
"I'm a genius. Didn't they tell you? "
Played By: Tom Hern
- A God Am I: His obsession with immortality in Reality Space comes close to this.
- Big Bad: as leader of the Technos in Season 4, subjecting everyone to insane virtual reality experiments.
- HeelFace Turn: after defeat and abandonment at the end of season 4, he is slowly worked round over the course of season 5.
- Teen Genius: manages to turn the City from post-apolcalyptic wasteland into a hi-tech dystopia, manages to create successful virtual reality and even a malevolent AI by the end of season 5.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Cyberspace is this to him.
Played By: Monique Cassie
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Is fine with Lex still pining after Tai-San.
Played By: Dan Weekes-Hannah
Played By: Sam Kelly
"Is it just me or did you get a feeling? (...) Like I just blinked and missed something."
Played By: Nick Miller
- The Big Guy: Actually Season 3 and 4's best example of this.
- Chick Magnet: Second only to Bray.
- The Fundamentalist: Violently opposed to the idea of society returning to the evil old ways. In Season 4, believes that once electricity is switched back on it will carve the way for pollution, inequality and war.
- The Reliable One: In Season 3, one of the few characters whom all sides seem to trust.
- The Rival: To Bray, about Amber.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: After becoming addicted to the Game.
Played By: James Ordish
Played By: Joseph Crawford
"Being a girlie doesn't mean I didn't got to be big and strong."
Played By: Kelly Stevenson
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Is this often to Lex.
- Manipulative Bastard: Doesn't hesitate to play Ebony against Amber - all in the name of helping Lex.
Played By: Miriama Smith
Played By: Bevin Linkhorn
Played By: Morgan Palmer Hubbard
- Odd Couple: With Dee.
Played By: Fleur Saville
Played By: David Taylor
Played By: Matt Robinson
Played By: Amelia Reynolds
Played By: Sam Husson
- Gang of Hats: His tribe, Tribe Circus.