The Character Sheet for the Anime and Film Speed Racer. (Needs Wiki Love)
- The Ace: Speed has proven time and time again to be one of the best racers in the entire business, taking on some of the most dangerous racers and tracks in sports. In the end, Speed almost always comes on top.
- Badass Driver: He's no slouch when it comes to being a racing driver.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Speed is, for the most part, a kind and friendly young man, yet he's very capable of whooping your ass.
- Big Brother Instinct: Very protective of Spritle.
- Big Brother Worship: Towards Rex.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Will often put the needs of others above winning a race.
- Fatal Flaw: Speed's desire to become a professional racer tends to make him rather reckless. Desperate to practice before his race against Racer X, Speed snuck out of the house in the middle of the storm and drove in the middle of a thunderstorm, which is actually a real-life risk. Needless to say, Racer had to deal with heavy rain, strong winds, and fallen debris, nearly killing him in the process.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The responsible one to Spritle's foolish.
- Motor Mouth: He has a tendency to talk rather fast.
- Mr. Fanservice: Yes.
- Nice Guy: What else can you say about someone who'll abandon a race to help you out?
- Steven Ulysses Perhero: He's a guy named Speed Racer who can race.
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: Chim Chim.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Spritle tends to be like this towards the older characters.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: The two of them might seem like a hapless child and a silly chimpanzee, but the two of them have proven to be able to hold their own against actual threats.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Chim Chim.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Spritle is the foolish to Speed's responsible.
- Little Stowaway: They tend to sneak into the trunk of the Mach 5 (or in briefcases, or on airplanes) when no one's watching.
- Motor Mouth: Spritle has a tendency to talk rather fast.
- Nice Guys
- Plucky Comic Relief: They provide most of the humor.
- Sweet Tooth: These two love candy so much that they fight between themselves over whatever bribes they manage to collect. Needless to say, they eat a lot of candy!
- Timmy in a Well: Chim Chim will attempt to notify other Go Team members about whatever fix Speed is in.
- Action Dad: Much like his children, he's very capable of kicking ass.As champion of the Westside Grunters and Groaners I promise you are in for a lot of groaning!
- Badass Driver: Like father, like son.
- Badass Mustache:
- The Engineer: Pops is a brilliant engineer, having created the Mach 5, which is largely considered to be one of the most advanced racing vehicles in the world.
- Fantasy-Forbidding Father: He was one towards Rex, but he grew out of it.
- Good Parents: Towards Speed, Spritle and Rex.
- Hot-Blooded: Pops takes his work and race-car driving very seriously. doesn't take much to get Pops angry. And when he gets angry, he's a force of nature.
- Motor Mouth: His words fly nearly as fast as the cars he designs.
- My Greatest Failure: His over-protectiveness over Rex and refusal to let him become a racer is what drove Rex to run away. Years later, Pops still seems to shoulder a lot of guilt over the incident, and is determined not to make the same mistake with Speed.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He can be very loud, grouchy and quick to anger at times, but underneath it all, he loves his family with all his heart.
- Papa Wolf: Don't mess with his children or he'll let you have it.
- Badass Driver: It should be expected given that he's Speed Racer's brother.
- Big Brother Instinct: Very protective of Speed and Spritle.
- Black Knight: He is a feared and brooding international spy often seen thwarting evil schemes.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Long Lost Sibling: Unbeknownst to Speed, Racer X is really his long lost brother (Ken'ichi Mifune). The Narrator tells the viewer this every chance he gets; or Rex thinks about it where only the viewer can hear.
- You Can't Go Home Again: He originally planned to go back to his family after helping out his brothers, but decided not to in "The Trick Race" as he decided to become a full time agent.
- Action Girlfriend: Manages to throw a few punches against Speed's foes when she is a passenger in the Mach 5 during races.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She gets jealous if Speed is with another girl that is at her age, even if Speed is just being friendly towards the other.
- First-Name Basis: English anime only. In the Japanese version, she is Michi Shimura. The English release of the manga keeps the Shimura Aviation mention, implicitly naming her Trixie Shimura. In Speed Racer: The Next Generation, her last name is Tredwell.
- Mission Control: During races, she is most often seen in her helicopter above the Mach 5, radio-relaying information to Speed.
- Wrench Wench: A solo helicopter pilot who can operate Speed's gadgets.
- Never a Self-Made Woman: The manga notes that her father is the president of Shimura Aviation, and therefore flying is easy for her.
Recurring and one-off characters
Tropes applying to them as a whole
- Enemy Mine: They form one with Speed in "The Trick Race."
- Jerk Jock
- Ramp Jump: True to their name, these are the kind of antics the Car Acrobat Team do.
- Big Bad: He's the man in charge of the Car Acrobatic Team
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He vows vengeance against Speed when Snake Oiler gets injured during the dangerous race he and Speed were taking part in.
Characters exclusive to the film
- Big Bad: Of the movie.
- Heel To Face Turn: When Speed wins the Grand Prix at the end.
- Karma Houdini: was just as crooked as the other racing champions, but it looks like he'll never have to answer for it. Though most likely he was never happy with the situation in the first place.