Characters from Shitsurakuen. There may be spoilers:
open/close all folders
Sora and her Harem
The revolutionary group in Utopia Academy. They defeat boys to free the girls of the opression of the Exaclan Game.
- Action Girl: Even without an Empathic Weapon, Sora can fight two guys twice her size. This is a good thing as she is outnumbered a few hundred to one.
- All-Loving Hero: Sora, after Character Development, grows into wanting to save all the girls and all the guys.
- Bi the Way: Sora's interest in girls needs no elaboration, but she also shows interest in Akane.
- Break the Cutie: Sora gets large amounts of it, but always manages to snap out of it; other times she needs to be slapped out of it.
- Bully Hunter: A particularly overloaded one.
- Cuddle Bug: At the omakes involving her possing with the girl of the volume's cover, Sora is seeing really enjoying the hug.
- Declaration of Protection: To the girls of her harem.
- Determinator/Plucky Girl: Sora will protect all the girls.
- Expy: Of Utena Tenjou.
- Happily Married: With Tsuki in the Revised Ending.
- Harem Seeker: Justified. All the girls are safer with her than with others.
- Hope Bringer: Part of her revolution is returning hope to the downtropped girls of the academy.
- Idiot Hero: Kinda. Sora is more naivete in a world like this than actually stupid.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Internal Reformist: Sora is the "become an icon" variety.
- Knight in Shining Armor: As she's emulating the knight character of "Paradise Story".
- Living Emotional Crutch: She's a beacon of emotional support for Tsuki.
- Meet Cute: She first met Tsuki by blocking with her head a ball coming to her.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Her relationship with Tsuki since their childhood. Later evolves into something else.
- Tomboy: A younger Sora had short hair and wore boyish clothing. She's still one in her teen years but it's played down.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Unwitting Pawn: To Tsuki's plan.
- Use Your Head: Sora has the habit of using her head to shield attacks meant to other girls.
- X Marks the Hero: Sora's forehead. Marked by Tsuki of all people.
- Covert Pervert: Koharu has rather risque "bedtime fantasies" involving Sora.
- Feminine Women Can Cook
- Gag Boobs
- Hair Decorations: Two little ribbons.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Imagine Spot: Koharu has the bad habit of losing herself in her fantasies.
- Luminescent Blush/Crush Blush
- Purple Eyes
- Rescue Romance: She actually fell in love with Sora after she won her.
- Schoolgirl Lesbian: For Sora.
- Shotguns Are Just Better
- Too Kinky to Torture: Many of her fantasies involve Sora's tying her up into submission.
- Action Girl: Besides Sora. in the battle against Shoujo, she easily dodged Shoujo's axe swing. It's implied that she was trained in dojo though she doesn't show it in earlier chapters.
- Bandage Babe: In the first two chapters because of all the abuse and injuries she got for being a weak weapon.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Yuki can be really mean when she wants to be.
- Broken Bird: Yuki was constantly abused, discarded and passed down before Sora makes her believe that things can get better.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Don't be fooled, Yuki can get really annoyed of Koharu's attempts of getting close to Sora.
- Girlish Pigtails: Combined with Braids of Action.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Thanks to her past as a "weak weapon", Yuki has low confidence.
- Ill Girl: Spends the mayority of the story bedridden because of being recovering of the injuries caused by her former owners.
- Knife Nut/Katanas Are Just Better
- Only Sane Woman: In Sora's harem.
- Rapunzel Hair: Even with her hair braided, her hair is pretty long.
- The Smart Girl: She's the only student who really know everything about Exaclan's rules, which is very useful to Sora.
- Took a Level in Badass: If it wasn't for Sora, she wouldn't overcome her low-self esteem.
- Short Hair With Tails
- Silk Hiding Steel: She was actually trained in her own dojo and thanks to Sora's encouragement, she became stronger, both mentally and physically.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She's a beautiful black haired girl that comes from a familiar dojo and she's faithful and supportive to Sora and her weapon transforms in a katana.
- A-Cup Angst: An omake suggest a diferent reason why she refused to be in Sora's harem at first.
- Blade on a Stick
- Broken Tears: Shed this when she realized how she could have avoided a really bad situation if she just had trusted Sora and how, despise thinking of herself as unworthy of her care, Sora still protects her.
- Children Are Innocent: Played straight. She's the one with the most innocent feelings towards Sora, which heavily contrast with Koharu's.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Curiously only Reiko, and sometimes Hiyo, get her in this attitude over Sora's attention.
- The Cutie: Of Sora's harem since she's a shy middle schooler.
- Ears as Hair: Inverted. Tomoko has hair which, according to Sora, looks like ears.
- Neutral No Longer: Tomoko finally decides to stop running away and help Sora to change the school's system.
- Shrinking Violet: Even after getting under Sora's wing, Tomoko is quite shy as she's one of the younger members of the group. Later on, she opens herself a little more.
- Aloof Ally: Initially.
- Attempted Rape: Downplayed. Sora, following the advice of Yuki of using the bedtime fantasies of Koharu, started slightly molesting Reiko to force Tougyo to release control over her.
- Cool Big Sis: She tries to act like one, as she's a year older than Sora, has spend more time around the enemy and she knows best, but her tsundere attitude gets in the way.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Epic Flail
- Girlish Pigtails: She has pigtails styled in ringlets. Sora compares them with a pair of croissants.
- Gold Digger: Reiko, at first, is fine with being a student council member's possesion because after graduation, he'll get money and power and he might decide to keep her as his companion. Suvberted, as she as her own plans to save girls.
- Hurting Heroine: All her inicial jerkassy is because, before Sora arrived at school, she was the only one brave enough to wanting to fight the system but have to do it all alone and she considered that Sora will ruin all the progress she have done so far, but deep down she wishes to have an ally.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Sora founds them beautiful and full of determination.
- Tsundere: A very tsun-tsun one.
- Tsurime Eyes: Sora even lampshades it in chapter 9.
- You Are Not Alone: A heartwarming moment when she realizes that she can actually rely on Sora.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Tomoko.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Reiko deserves special credit, because she's a Grade S (twintails, tsundere and Grade A zettai ryouiki).
- An Axe to Grind
- Berserk Button: Don't mention the word "sister" at her.
- Bratty Half-Pint: To the other girls.
- Cheerful Child
- Children Are Innocent: Subverted. She's the first girl in ever lampshade the potential Les Yay when she said that she is Sora's lover.
- Cute and Psycho: She agreed to be Tougyo's weapon if he hunted and tortured the girls that insolated and never helped her sister.
- Creepy Child
- Deliberately Cute Child: Hiyo ctually is more mature than she seems, but likes to play the cute child card for all its worth.
- Genki Girl
- It's All My Fault: Her sister went to a poor revolutinary war against the system after finding out that Hiyo would be joining the school. Since she didn't knew the reality of Utopia Academy, Hiyo was very excited about joining, what motivated her sister even more and got her excommunicated.
- Memento Macguffin: A chicken pin that her sister gave her. She gives it to Tougyo at the end, as a way to show him she doesn't hold any bad feelings against him.
- The Mole: For Tougyo. She makes a HeelFace Turn.
- Nice Hat
- Stepford Smiler: Type A, with a little C.
The Student Council
The main antagonists. They look upon the school, taking care that Exaclan continues smoothly, which is getting difficult with the arrive of Sora.
El Karin Asagiya
- Dragon-in-Chief: He's the dragon to Iwahiriji's Mega-Corp but he's practically a god inside Utopia Academy.
- Dragon with an Agenda: And he has other plans in mind.
- Eye Patch Of Power: When possing as Karin.
- Eye Scream: Courtesy of Tsuki in a jealousy influenced freak out.
- Malevolent Masked Man: Subverted.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: He forced himself to be the bad guy, because every story with a knight and a princess needs a villain.
- Older Than He Looks: He's actually in his late 20's. He's just possing as a student because of his bet with Tsuki.
- Student Council President
- Ambiguously Brown
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Gentle Giant: Despise being in the student council.
- Last-Name Basis
- Opaque Lenses
- Token Good Teammate: Reiko stated that Sumita never touched her with any kind of ill will.
- The Quiet One: He doesn't speak much, but his actions talk for him.
- Depraved Homosexual: Mitarai is madly in love with El and will do everything he asks him to do. Torture is not out of the table. Subverted, as he tells Tomoko: "Between a guy who you don't know what he's thinking, and an okama who you don't know what he's thinking, which would you prefer?"
- Gag Penis: His penis didn't stop growing and at the final groupal picture, Tomoko has to cover his crotch.
- Guy Liner: He wears makeup.
- Whip It Good
- The Atoner: At the end.
- Dragged into Drag: In the epilogue, Yuki makes him wear the female uniform as a way to atone for his sins.
- Driven by Envy: He's jealous that El trust Kuchinawa and Sumita about the reality of his plan but not him, who is loyal to him to the end. Even Tamao Kawasu seems to know more than him.
- Evil Virtues: His loyalty to El is compared to Yuki's loyalty to Sora.
- Expy: Of Rolo.
- Last-Name Basis
- Locked Out of the Loop: El never told him about the truth of his plan; Shoujo had to found information all by himself, spying on the other council members.
- Psychopathic Manchild
- Slasher Smile
- The Spymaster: He spies on people to help on El's plan. El is the only one able to know when Shoujo has put a microphone to spy on him and those close to him.
- Undying Loyalty: To El. He's so loyal that the he desperately wants for El to recognize him as an equal and be able to walk his path by his side.
- Bishounen: Subverted, he's a she.
- Hot Scientist: She admist that she's in the same or even a highter level than her ex-husband's or Tsuki's programming talent.
- Mrs. Robinson: She joined Karin's plan and worked in disguise in Iwahiriji's systems to try to seduce him after her husband left her.
- Mum Looks Like a Sister: She's actually Tamao Kawasu's mother. Karin Lampshaded it while meeting her for the first time. Furthermore, in the epilogue she looks amazingly well in a female uniform, despise being in her 50's.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Around El.
- Older Than She Looks: She can pose as a Bishounen student, despise being a 30-something year old woman.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: To avoid any problems with Iwahiriji's male chauvism while working in her ex-husband's programs.
- Walking Spoiler: It's dificult to talk about Haruka without spoiling a lot.
- Woman Scorned: She had a bad image of her ex-husband because he left her. She was convenced it was because she was more capable than him and thought that his pride and machismo were the reasons. She then discovered that he left her to protect her from the male chauvism of the company he was working in. Since he was already dead when she found it out, she at least made peace with her son for regarding him a "wuss like his father".
- Forced into Evil: He's forced to duel Sora to protect his mother Haruka. He also admits that, from the moment he set foot on the academy, its mysogynist philosophy was forced upon him.
- Generation Xerox: He looks a lot like his father. His father was Tsuki's stepfather and he succumbed to despair for Iwahiriji's male chauvism, like he did.
- Locked Out of the Loop: He's the only member of the student council that doesn't know anything about El's plan. He only knows that his mother is involved and that's enough for him to play along.
- Strong Family Resemblance: In the epilogue, he looks exactly like his father looked in his 30's.
- Villainous Breakdown: His breakdowm in his duel with Sora was what let her know that deep down, the boys are also victims of the mysoginistic system.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Subverted. It's implied that he holds feelings for Koharu but he can't stop seeing her as an object.
- Determinator: The mayority of the girls Sora set free were possessions Shinji lost to Sora in attempts to gain back Koharu.
- Face of a Thug: Downplayed.
- Starter Villain: He was Sora's first opponent from whom she won Koharu, one of the strongest weapons.
- Ax-Crazy: His weapon even is an axe.
- My Greatest Failure: Not stepping in to help Hiyo's sister and letting her be excommunicated.
- Psychopathic Manchild
- Redemption Equals Fate Worse than Death: Tougyu gets "excommunicated" after Sora whacks him in the head.
- Torture Technician: Tougyu has the hobby of torturing the girls in his personal harem. Because all those girls made fun and didn't help Hiyo's sister and Hiyo asked him to do it in revenge.
Characters who support Sora despise don't getting involve in Exaclan's fights.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Broken Bird: Orphaned at young age, misunderstood and untrusting, and forced to program for a Mega-Corp.
- Buxom Is Better: When describing her, the first thing Sora does is saying Tsuki's a beautiful girl with a big chest.
- Child Prodigy/Teen Genius
- Clingy Jealous Girl: The mere sight of Sora playing with other kids pissed her off.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: In her childhood, thanks to Sora. But her emotional state is rather dangerous.
- Distressed Damsel: Was keep chained to a chair in the darkness, with snakes crowling over her body by Shoujo.
- Game-Breaker: As Exaclan's main programmer passing as El's possesion, she holds the most powerful weapon of the game.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Tsuki was a genius child so many children didn't approach to her. Or rather, she consideres them inferior to her and unable to understand her.
- Meaningful Name: Tsuki is the moon in Sora's sky. Her full name also can be read as "Blue moon".
- Mission Control: She is El's "possesion" so she can help Sora being The Mole, getting information and telling her what to do next. Because she actually wants to manipulate Sora to depend on her for guide in what to do, just like Princess Ix manipulated her knight.
- Mysterious Protector: She was the mysterious girl that led her weapon to Sora in her first duel with Shinji.
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents died in an accident.
- Please Don't Leave Me: She broke down when Sora seem to start to consider not being Tsuki's knight, begging her to don't leave her. She also desperately tried to stop Sora from leaving her at the final chapter.
- Psycho Lesbian
- Straw Feminist: Doesn't consider men need any kind of protection and/or consideration and insists knights are supposed to protect princesses; girls and girls only.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Under all the cold expressions there's actually a heart that loves Sora deeply.
- Yandere: When Sora seem to be "taken astray" from her path of knighthood by Karin, she violently snapped.
- Beautiful All Along: Quite the bishounen was hidden behind the glasses.
- Gender-Blender Name: "Akane" is commonly a girl's name.
- Neutral No Longer: While never agreeing with the misogyny in the school, he never tried to rebel in fears of never being allowed to graduate. Sora called him out when he tried to made her his possesion to look like he was playing along with the system. Thanks to Sora's encouragement, he decides to stop hidding his discomfort and becomes an ally.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: His glasses serve to hide himself from the world around him. When he stops wearing them, he no longer hides his true feelings.
- Redheads Are Uncool: He's introduced as a weak-willed dork.
- You Look Familiar: He's an Identical Stranger to the knight character of "Paradise Story" because Sora's mind associated the character with him, in virtue of being son of the writer of an analysis on the fairytale.
An in-universe tale that parallels events of the main plot. As both of them are very intertwined, it's necessary a space for the characters of this fairytale to understand the real depths of the plot.
The Red Knight (Adam)
- All-Loving Hero: All he longs for is everyone's happiness.
- Broken Messiah: He suffered an Heroic BSoD after finding up that his actions were hurting a lot of people.
- The Hero's Journey: Paradise Story is about his journey to found his princess and it's very similar to this motif.
- Knight Errant: He originally wandered the land, doing good deeds in order to bring happiness to as much people as he could.
- Journey to Find Oneself: At the end of the story, Adam stops pursuing Ix after realizing her manipulations and leaves to found a way towards everyone's happiness and matures in the process.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He's known just as the Red Knight, and few people know his true name.
- Save the Princess: But doing it so would just continue the painful vicious cycle.
- Take a Third Option: Instead of chasing after El and rescuing Ix, which meant a cycle of pain to both El and his people, Adam decided to join both realms by becoming El's Blood Brother and a king able to marry Ix and stopping her worries about him leaving her.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: He believes in an utopia he wants to help build. Deconstructed by the analysis. His naiveness didn't let him see that Princess Ix was manipulating him.
- X Marks the Hero: The iconic scar on his forehead.
- Deliberately Distressed Damsel: After El's first kidnapping, she let herself be kidnapped by him over and over in order to keep Adam from leaving.
- Distressed Damsel: Kidnapped constantly by El.
- Flower in Her Hair: A white lilly.
- Karma Houdini: Despite all the troubles she caused to everyone, she got to get married to the man she loved who owned the lands she lost. Of course, she now is El's sister-in-law, and she hates that man.
- Love Makes You Evil: Demonized another kingdom, used and manipulated people to keep the errant knight she fell in love with from ever leaving her lands.
- Manipulative Bitch: Called a rival, yet non malicious kingdom as "evil" in order to get the knight to fight them.
- Opera Gloves
- Please Don't Leave Me: Paralleling Tsuki's own breakdown, Ix beg Adam to don't desert on her when he found out the truth and decided to stop rescuing her.
- Princess Classic: Beautiful, the hero's love interest, getting constantly kidnapped...and actually a Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Woman in White
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: She constantly marked El's kingdom as evil to keep the knight at her side. When El's started kidnapping her at his people's demand, she played along as another way to manipulate Adam.
- Anti-Villain: He doesn't kidnap Ix just For the Evulz; he does it to please his people who are enraged at her for mark them as evil. Since he doesn't hate her, but actually loves her, he has to rely on the knight stopping him and start the vicious cycle over and over again.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Flat Character: The fairy tale paints him as a classical villain, whose only importance is kidnapping the princess to iniciate the knight's journey. The deeper analysis reveals he's an anti-villain who suffers more for his own actions than the princess or the knight, and actually has good reasons to do as he does.
- Forced into Evil: He always has to appeal to his people despite he would rather stop kidnapping the princess.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: In Akane's ending, Adam becomes a king thanks to El's giving him the lands he stole X's kingdom because he wanted Ix to be happy with the man she loved.
- Malevolent Masked Man: Subverted.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood
- Obviously Evil: Subverted, but Ix use it for all its worth.
- Take a Third Option: Either he kills the princess or his people will declare war against her kingdom. He chose an equally sadistic third option and relies on kidnapping her and has to trust the knight will stop him eventually.
- Trapped in Villainy: Forced to constantly kidnap the woman he loves because the other options are either her death or war.
- Villains Act, Heroes React: He kidnaps the princess and the knight goes to her rescue. He actually laid his hopes on the knight doing so.
- Walking Spoiler: His true motivations and colors give a 360 grade spin to the whole story.