Main Character Index | The Bat Family | The Justice League (The Founders) | The Titans | The Young Justice | The Outsiders | Dark Justice | The Legends | The Green Lantern Corps | Doom Patrol | The Advena Legion | Challengers Of The Unknown | The Society | Seven Soldiers of Victory | Metal Men | S.H.A.D.E. | WildC.A.T.S. | Crimebusters | Other Heroes
The Birds of Prey were founded by Oracle when Batman was nearly beaten to death by Bane during the Cataclysm in Gotham as an effort to keep the city from being overrun.
- Action Girl: All of them are women perfectly capable of thrashing their opponents like fellow male superheroes.
- Amazon Brigade: They are an all female group of crimefighters and superheroines, though male characters frequently appear as allies to the team.
- Animal-Themed Superbeing: The name of the team itself invokes this but Black Canary, Hawk, Dove, Lady Blackhawk, Oracle (when she was Batgirl), Nightwing, Red Robin, Bluebird, Batwoman, Batwing, Black Bat, Strix and Vixen fit this trope.
- Deadpan Snarker: Almost everyone has a few moments of snarking with each other.
- Power Trio: The founding members Oracle, Black Canary and Huntress.
Helena Bertinelli, born into one of Gotham's mafia families, became a spy and vigilante, destroying those that had killed her family. She was the second Batgirl after Barbara Gordon. However, after Jason Todd's death by the Joker and after the break-up between her and the Bat, it was mere nights before the Huntress showed up among the ranks of the nascent vigilante group known as the Birds of Prey.
- Action Girl: She's skilled in martial arts and weaponry.
- The Alcoholic: Downplayed; Helena is a heavy drinker but does not seem to be an alcoholic as she seems fully capable of being sober for weeks at a time if she is working on an important case.
- Ambiguously Bi: Helena's sexual orientation as "straight-ish" because Helena admits she can become "lesby-like" if you put a few drinks in her. Having been on the receiving end of Barbara's former roommate's drunken affections, Oracle can verify this. Apparently, someone told Hal Jordan about this and he tried his best to hook up with Helena and Zinda for a threesome. Helena and Zinda both say it didn't happen, Dinah is convinced it did.
- Badass Teacher: Helena has taught at various schools as a teacher of history and Italian language. She has also worked as a substitute teacher for a variety of classes. Oracle heard that she is a rather popular teacher, but she suspects that may be more on account of her wardrobe choices or the fact that she is prone to putting movies on so that she can take cat-naps in the back of the room with the lights out to make up for lost sleep due to her particular nocturnal activities.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her suit has an opening that shows her well-toned abs. She's actually quite proud to show them off.
- Berserk Button:
- Do not threaten Helena Bertinelli's friends and her students.
- A more minor one, but she also dislikes being lumped in with the mob, and particularly hates the phrase "mafia princess".
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Helena was captured and brainwashed by SPYRAL. Her cooperation with ARGUS might be involuntary, but she might have been persuaded by Andrea Beaumont, who promised to find her parent's killers.
- Brainy Brunette: Actually fits this trope, though more often has the image of a bruiser. Black Canary points out that she and Oracle have a lot in common, both being extremely intelligent.
- Broken Bird: The murder of her family when she was a young child led her to become ruthless and distrustful.
- Combat Pragmatist: Much more so than most of her colleagues in both the Bat family and the Birds of Prey - and mostly by necessity, since good as she is, she often has to face threat levels far above street level.
- Cool Bike: Helena uses a customized MV Augusta Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso motorcycle with a purple and black paint job, added armored plating, an enhanced Kord-Tech engine, and all the standard Bat-Cycle gadgetry added after-market. Dinah calls it Helena's crotch rocket as an insult to its design, but Helena isn't bothered by the term and affectionately calls it the same.
- Cultured Badass: Loves opera and fine cuisine. She's also a skilled crime fighter.
- Guns Akimbo: Over the years Helena realized that firing and reloading bolts at armed individuals may not be the most effective even if they were the most non-lethal. Since the return of Jason Todd to Gotham, she's been coerced to adapt her arsenal over time to include various firearms.
- Heroic BSoD: After Jason's death, Helena ends up being depressed and quit the Titans becoming the first Titan Alumna to be a Drop Out. Her membership was reinstated later as Victor Stone understood her reasons for having quit.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Karen Starr and Donna Troy.
- Honorary True Companion: Helena is an honorary Amazon warrior, having been given the honor by Queen Hippolyta herself.
- Hot Teacher: Helena has taught at various schools as a teacher of history and Italian language. She has also worked as a substitute teacher for a variety of classes.
- Last of Her Kind: Helena Bertinelli is the last of the Bertinellis, who were once the dominant of Gotham's Five Families. The Bertinelli name is still highly respected in Gotham's underworld, however, and Huntress uses that to her advantage.
- Legacy Character: She was the second Batgirl after Barbara Gordon.
- The Mafia: Born to it, rejected it, continually drawn to it and eventually infiltrated it. Her mission in life: take it down.
- Mama Bear: Threatening her students brings this out. With a free order of dangling-from-rooftops!
- The Mole: Recently Barbara have become aware of Helena's outings with Andrea Beaumont (first one when Thomas Elliot started impersonating Bruce after shooting him in 2016) as the two have been investigating the "Court of Owls" (believing they are responsible for her parent's death). When Barbara discovered that she willfully lied, sabotaged her equipment, and put Dick Grayson in danger to further her investigation, she sided with Red Hood and his Outlaws, gaining their aid in fleeing Gotham. Which she ends up being suspended by the Birds, Outsiders and Justice League. Her whereabouts remain unknown.
- Official Couple: She's the girlfriend of Jason Todd.
- Religious Bruiser: Helena is a devout Catholic. She goes to confession usually about twice a week when she is in Gotham, having revealed her identity as Huntress to a particular priest.
- Simple Staff: A collapsible, combat metallic staff that she has adopted since she realized that she needed extra tactical support when dealing with metahumans. The staff has taser mounting jolt delivery system incorporated and an emergency grapnel line.
- Statuesque Stunner: She fits at 5'10"/178cm and she's gorgeous.
- Their First Time: According to Babs, after a night of heavy drinking, she learned that Helena lost her virginity to Jason in the Batcave of all places. Though, she does not know if she can believe this as she heard at least four other stories about how Helena lost her virginity, two of which don't involve Jason. Yes... Helena is as promiscuous as that makes her seem.
- The Straight and Arrow Path:
- Helena carries her trademark crossbows on her at all times when "on-the-job". Whether she decides to use dual mini-crossbows or one large crossbow is up to her whims and fancy her as she has expert skill and equal proficiency in the use of both styles. Oliver Queen himself has remarked that she's likely a better crossbow shot than he is.
- Helena uses dual mini-crossbows or a heavy duty large crossbow with a scope to fire her plethora of trick bolts, though mostly she just likes to shoot people in the knee with the real thing.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her mother used an antique crossbow to save Helena's life. Helena uses a crossbow as a heroine now as a reminder of that night.
- Tranquil Fury: Helena Bertinelli is usually a hot-tempered, passionate person, but it's when she gets very calm that you should really be afraid. Whenever she gets ready to murder someone in cold blood, she's invariably totally calm.
Former US Naval Military soldier and Member of the Birds of Prey who is a master strategist as well as being on the top of multiple Government watch lists.
- Abusive Parents: Evelyn Crawford was born into an abusive life. Evelyn had an alcoholic father and absentee mother. She was also abused by an uncle and when she got the nerve to finally come forward with it, she was pulled away from all her friends and family and placed in a foster home in Gotham.
- Badass Normal: Has no powers but she has but her skills as a gunslinger.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her civilian outfit shows her toned midriff.
- Bi the Way: She swings both ways.
- Deadpan Snarker: By far the snarkiest member of Birds Of Prey in general. Every other sentence that comes out of her mouth drips with sarcasm.
- Guns Akimbo: She wields two handguns and also able to use any type of firearms like machine guns, shotguns, etc.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Her Starling outfit looks like a black corset that helps emphasize her, assets.
- The Runaway: Evelyn didn't care that her foster parents were just interested in doing the bare minimum and collecting the check. As a teenager, she ran with a rough crowd and was well on her way to becoming the same time of losers that her parents had been.
- Tattooed Crook: She has a tattoo on her left forearm and is one the most snarkiest members fitting to her personality.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: She wears a ponytail in both her civilian and costumed appearances and she's not particualrly feminine.
The twin sister of Edward Blake/The Comedian and former member of the Blackhawks. After being presumably death following her dissapearance in the Bermuda Triangle, she's now the pilot for Birds of Prey.
- Ace Pilot:
- Her skill at flying is what allowed her to land safely in Themyscira.
- In addition to her ability to handle a fighter plane, Zinda is also an expert in in aerial maneuvers and combat.
- Antiquated Linguistics: She speaks in slang and expressions that have fallen out of fashion since the 1940's. This actually confuses her teammates on occasion.
- Badass Normal: She has no superpowers but Zinda has superior abilities in hand-to-hand combat.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Lady Blackhawk, though one of the sweetest and kindest women you will ever meet, is a lady who loves herself a good rumble and is always happy to run screaming into battle.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: She disappeared on the Bermuda Triangle during the forties and reemerged in the present day near Themyscira.
- The Lad-ette: Lady Blackhawk can order beer in many languages and hold her own in a Bar Brawl with ease.
- Legally Dead: She was presumed dead for 70 years when she reappeared.
- Polar Opposite Twins: She and Eddie grew up to be almost complete opposites, remaining idealistic while Eddie turned increasingly cynical.
- Related in the Adaptation:
- Zinda is the twin sister of Edward Blake aka The Comedian of the Minutemen/Crimebusters in Earth-27, meaning that she's also the paternal aunt of Laurie Juspesczyk aka Silk Spectre II.
- She's also the aunt of Paula Nguyen, who's also Eddie's daughter who survived after he killed her mother on the day of "Victory in Vietnam Day", which makes her grandaunt of Jade Nguyen and Artemis Crock, aslo would make her great-grandaunt of Lian Harper and Tommy Blake.
- Her younger sister Mabel is the mother of John Winchester and grandmother of Dean and Sam, which also makes her the grandaunt of both the Winchester siblings.
- She's Got Legs: She wear Leggings that emphasize her toned legs.
- Super Reflexes: It was discovered she has a meta-gene that gives her faster than average reflexes.
- Legacy Character: She's the second Misfit after Carrie Kelly.
Katherine Spencer is a lawyer and former district attorney. She took on the identity of Manhunter to correct the wrongs the judicial system could or would not.
- Adaptational Heroism: While still hard on criminals in the pursuit of justice, she hasn't remorselessly killed criminals as far as we know of. She even spared Copperhead despite wanting to kill her, which actually earned the attention of J'onn J'onzz to serve as his deputy.
- Adaptation Origin Connection: Rather than a separate group, she became a deputy Manhunter for J'onn J'onzz, a group which even Lobo technically belongs to.
- Amoral Attorney: Kate herself is forced to become one as part of her deal with Director Bones. Defending Copperhead against charges for her actions part of the Catclysm where she murdered people as part of the Four Horseman.
- Badass Normal: Normal is stretching it, Kate likely has some low-key metahuman power, but not enough to make her more than unusually athletic baseline human.
- Byronic Hero: Efficient, clever in applications of law, and reasonable enough as an attorney, but also prone to acts of violence; loves her family and cares for her son, but is a blatant workaholic who neglects her son and wrecked her marriage to her ex-husband.
- The Confidant: Serves as this for Adrian Chase, Though she's actually unaware of his identity as Vigilante.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Kate has this due to her cornucopia of issues. She often remarks that not having criminals to beat to a pulp makes her antsy and she smashes a stone statue to pieces simply because there is no-one around to pummel.
- Hello, Attorney!: Superhero escapades aside, Kate is a respected prosecuting attorney.
- Locked Out of the Loop: She doesn't know her partner is Vigilante.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Adrian Chase, who swings the other way. He's aware about her secret identity and even helps cover for her.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: When Vigilante surprises her after taking a shower, she remains nonchalant about it.
- Simple, yet Awesome: The suit, which not only has tech built in to protect her from psi-powers, but covers her body completely and avoids Combat Stilettos.
- Sociopathic Hero: At least a borderline sociopath. By DC superhero standards (also by normal-person standards), she has killed a fair number of people and never seemed to feel bad about it. It's no wonder she gets along so well with Huntress of all people.