open/close all folders
Ayano "Yan-chan" Aishi
"Senpai will be mine... He doesn't have a choice."
Voiced by: Michaela Amanda LawsnoteThe titular Villain Protagonist of Yandere Simulator. Her sole goal in the game is to confess to Senpai without any troublesome rivals in her way. She's around 17 years old. She is in class 2-1.
- Alliterative Name: After months of speculation, her name was revealed to be Ayano Aishi.
- Almighty Janitor: If she joins the Occult Club, she's this compared to the rest of them. She's the greenhorn of the group but, unlike the rest of them, she can actually commune with demons.
- Always Female: While some fans have shown interest in (read: demanded) being able to play as a male yandere, and you can (or will be able to) change Senpai's gender, Yan-chan will likely always be a female according to Word of God. However, YandereDev has hinted at the possibility of Yandere-kun being a crowdfunding stretch goal.
- In March 2017, he put in the Yan-kun skin as a test, just to see if he could do it.
- Amazonian Beauty: Tying in with raising the Strength stat, a few official arts◊ portray her as such. Whether it will be a thing in-game, however, remains to be seen.
- Ambiguously Human: There's just something off about Yan-chan. From her flat affect and lack of empathy; unusual speed, strength, and stamina for such a small girl; to the fact that she can successfully commune with demons when the regular members of the Occult Club (its leader included) can't. Plus she can channel a demon's power if she sacrifices students to it.
- Anti-Hero: She can be this if the player has her only eliminate her rivals via Matchmaking or Befriending, and has her do tasks for various students while never hurting anyone. She is still in it for her own selfish motivation, but she isn't doing anything bad.
- Anti-Villain: She can be this if the player decides to remove some of her rivals via non lethal, but cruel, methods such as expulsion or sabotaging their meetings with Senpai, while eliminating others via Matchmaking or Befriending. This would make her a non murderous villain with a few redeeming qualities.
- Author Avatar: In some of the developer videos (including the infamous "apology" videos from Summer 2015), she serves as YandereDev's avatar.
- Asshole Victim: If the delinquents put her in a coma, or if Nemesis kills her in Mission Mode.
- Ass Shove: It's been hinted at by YandereDev that, while naked, Yan-chan uses her... various orifices to hide her weapons.
- Ax-Crazy: Depending on the player's choices, she can be this and simply Kill 'em All, or less so and dispatch her rivals non-lethally.
- The Bad Guy Wins: The final game promises several endings covering a spectrum from "Good" to "Bad" both ways, depending on whose perspective you're looking from.
- Badass Adorable: She's pretty cute, despite being an almost-completely-emotionless psychopath.
- Badass Bisexual: Combined with Depraved Bisexual (unless you play as an Anti-Hero) thanks to Senpai's sex being customizable. She is stronger and faster than most students (even moreso if she levels up PhysEd, which puts her on par with teachers), and she could not care less what sex Senpai is. Naturally crosses over with Single-Target Sexuality, as she wants ONLY Senpai.
- Badass Family: Her mother killed at least one person – the so-called Phantom Girl mentioned on the other subpage – back when she was in school, and got away with it. Also, her family has been propagating itself despite being yanderes for generations, implying they've been poisoning, blackmailing, misdirecting, and murdering countless people in the process.
- Bald Woman: One of the customizable hairstyles, as well as when you switch to 47 Mode or Punch Mode or Bad Time Mode.
- Berserk Button: Don't try to hit on Senpai. If you're lucky, you'll be stabbed in the front and die quickly.
- Beware the Nice Ones: The purpose of the game is keeping up the façade of a regular schoolgirl while eliminating your rivals from the shadows.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Ayano doesn't talk to people unless she has a good reason to.
- Big Bad: Technically, Yan-chan is this game's. The creator once described it as a horror game where you are the monster.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Can act like an innocent schoolgirl while still being a Serial Killer, or even just a vile bitch without the murder part.
- Blank Slate: She will be customizable and the final game will have different playstyle options. The method of eliminating rivals will determine Yan-chan's personality (and Senpai's psyche) in the ending.
- Boobs of Steel: The player has the option in the debug builds (and probably in the final game) to change Yan-chan's bust size, and the upper bound for her is massive. She's also a badass that can easily make a professional assassin nod in respect.
- Brainy Brunette: She's very resourceful. She can use her studies to learn how to kill her rivals more efficiently, as well as improving her forgery and interpersonal skills. Of course, this all depends on the player.
- Breast Expansion: In the debug builds, Yan-chan's bust size can be adjusted on the fly via < and >, from nearly-nonexistent to massive.
- Broken Ace: It's totally possible to play her as a popular girl who is a dedicated member of a school club, athletic enough to fight toe-to-toe with trained martial artists, gets good grades, and is able to easily seduce both men and women. That said, no matter how you dispose of the rivals, she'll always be an Empty Shell who stalks the first person who inspired emotions in her. Further, Word of God says her amazing abilities are due to her just being that determined to get Senpai.
- Buxom Is Better: As noted above, it's possible to give her Gag Boobs – her chest can be so big her arms clip through it. This can also be inverted. This doesn't actually have any gameplay effects, however, and it will not make it any easier to earn trust or win Senpai's heart.
- The Cameo: In Burning Love. If Sakura goes to get a teacher instead of picking up the ritual knife, she shows up and says the following:
Ayano: Heh. Right where I left it. I'll take that~ hehe~
- Cannot Spit It Out: She's unable to properly confess to Senpai unless all her rivals are permanently out of the way.
- Child by Rape: Heavily implied, given what's on the Basement Tapes. Basement Tape #1 features her parents back in 1989, with her father tied to a chair and her mother saying she won't let him go until she's sure he won't try to run away and that they'll be together forever. Basement Tape #10 has the two of them in the modern day, with her mom practically dragging her dad with her to the airport so she can track down the old Journalist, who's fled to America. What happened between the two tapes hasn't been revealed yet, but since her father has succumbed to full-on Stockholm Syndrome at this point...
- Clingy Jealous Girl: As a part of her Yandere personality, she refuses to share her Senpai with anyone and is intensely jealous of all his admirers.
- Color Motifs: Word of God says her trademark color is black, hence why her default design has black hair, dark gray eyes, and black stockings. Her aura is also black.
- The Corrupter: Downplayed. She can tell people to bully an actually innocent human being, thus corrupting them a bit. However, the bullies don't change that much other than that.
- Covert Pervert: As seen in this tweet by the dev himself, Yan-chan may wish to go into a boy-only area and look at Senpai.
- Creepy Child: She was pretty much always this for her lack of emotions and empathy, but it only starts to show when she becomes more and more insane.
- Creepy Monotone: If you listen closely, Yan-chan's voice has a flat, almost robotic affect to it most of the time. This is probably because she's an Emotionless Girl who only recently started experiencing feelings like love and rage. It's even more apparent when contrasted against the far more emotional Kokona or Osana.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Works both ways.
- She can easily dish these out when she has weapons – every student with a hitbox is a One-Hit Kill.
- Teachers are the opposite case; they will curbstomp her, as will high-strength or bereaved students if you don't get your physical stats up. Joining the Martial Arts Club (which currently gives the benefit of automatically winning fights) turns the tables in Yan-chan's favor very quickly.
- Delinquents note will curbstomp her even if she does have max stats.
- Nemesis is impossible to defeat in direct combat and must be beaten through other means. note
- Cute and Psycho: Is willing to go extreme lengths for her goal and is adorable.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She can present herself as one to splash liquids on her classmates. However, do it too often and she'll start to get a reputation for it.
- Daddy's Little Villain: A variant where her crazy mother is hoping for her to follow in her footsteps. Whether she does so is up to you.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Even without modding or messing with the camera, it's not difficult to see Yan-chan's panties.
- Dark Action Girl: She's lethal and will go to violent lengths to get rid of rivals for Senpai's affections. She doesn't have to be this way.
- Dark Is Evil: Her default design has black hair and black eyes. One of the early concept arts also showed her wearing a black uniform (incidentally, one of the selectable uniform styles – No.5 – is black with red trim). Just how evil she is is up to the player, as she can be anything from a Manipulative Bitch with a very, very deeply Hidden Heart of Gold (and even then, only bothering to show it if it comes at her benefit), or a flat-out murderous monster.
- Dark Skinned Blonde: Galo Mode gives her this appearance, complete with gold sunglasses and gold bracelets.
- Determinator: The developer cites her peak-human feats as a result of being just that determined to get Senpai. Depending on how the player handles her jealousy, she could end up killing ten girls (not counting possible NPC collateral damage) within as many weeks just to make sure he's single.
- Disproportionate Retribution: From the second intro, she states she wants to kill the girl who likes Senpai just because that girl clearly can't appreciate Senpai the way she can.
- Dissonant Serenity:
- Can be completely calm even if she is Laughing Mad.
- She has an incredibly peaceful expression on her face while she's dismembering a corpse.
- Driven to Suicide: While usually this is something she inflicts on a rival, in this promo video, Yan-chan sees a girl confess to Senpai… whereupon she kills both of them and then slits her own throat. The dev preemptively answered whether the video had anything to do with SNAP mode with "Yes and no."
- Dude Magnet: Portrayed as this in the 2017 April Fools trailer; had everyone been Gender Flipped, all the rivals would be after her, in a twisted version of an Otome Game plot.
- Emotionless Girl: She was unable to feel emotions before meeting her Senpai for the first time.
- Empowered Badass Normal: After helping out The Horror, she effectively becomes a Diclonius (and looks like a Dead Hand).
- Empty Eyes: When she loses sanity, her eyes lose their highlights.
- Empty Shell: The dev wants her to be this so that we can put ourselves in her shoes a bit more easily. The second intro to the game reveals that she's always been like this, and didn't feel anything at all until she met Senpai.
- Entitled to Have You: She believes that Senpai is hers because she wants him more than anyone else.
- Even Evil Has Standards:
- In the second intro, she outright calls Info-chan disgusting, even though she's a stalker. Also, assuming that it doesn't get implemented, she's slightly less evil than her mom, considering there doesn't seem to be an option to induce Stockholm Syndrome in Senpai (at least within the timeframe of the game – after she gets Senpai, it's more likely than not depending on how she wins him).
- Based on her tone of voice when you offer to help Kokona with her problems, she seems pretty disgusted by loan sharks.
- Even the Girls Want Her: If she maxes out her Seduction stat, she'll be able to seduce girls as well as boys.
- Evil Duo: With Info-chan.
- Eviler Than Thou:
- Being evil doesn't make Yui Rio any more safe from Yan-chan's crimes than any other student.
- Mr. Ronshaku is a criminal Loan Shark. He's seriously out of his depth once Yan-chan gets involved.
- Evil Is Not Pacifist: A potential aversion. It's possible for her to ruin her rivals' lives or even get them killed without once raising a weapon.
- Evil Is Petty: In the "Indestructible Rival" videos, she resorts to nuking the surrounding area and blowing up the planet with the Death Star in an attempt to get rid of Rival-chan. (Suffice to say, it does not work.)
- Evil Laugh: The game has a dedicated button for this. It's actually useful if Yan-chan is visibly insane, as laughing is one way to calm her down. However, people do react to it, so be careful where and when you do it.
- Evil Virtues: Word of God says that her persona is "Devoted", referencing her undying dedication to Senpai. In this game, though, that isn't a good thing.
- Fate Worse Than Death: The dev says this verbatim as something that describes what Yan-chan considers a life without Senpai.
- Faux Affably Evil: The second intro monologue shows that Yan-chan doesn't feel emotions, and that all interactions she has with other people are a part of keeping up a façade. But she can choose to have opportunities to be genuinely Affably Evil.
- Femme Fatale: She can up her "seduction" stat by reading erotic manga, which will make boys more comfortable around her. Boost it enough times, and it will work on girls too.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: Not in the game proper, but the "Contact" page on the official website is styled after a Visual Novel conversation with Yan-chan. She's generally polite and courteous throughout… until you click on the option that says you haven't read the relevant page for bug-reporting or volunteering. This will prompt her to remind you at knife-point.
- Generation Xerox: Zigzagged. Ayano looks a lot like her mother. Also, being a yandere is In the Blood; her mom was a yandere, as was her grandmother, and Word of God implies that each generation of the Aishi family has consisted of a yandere girl and her unfortunate soulmate. The aversion is that Ayano's mom Ryoba was a killer, whilst Ayano can choose not to go to that level, and Ayano can be a lesbian instead of straight.
- Good All Along: One of two speculated endings for the matchmaker route. Yan-chan might prove to be more human than even she realizes.
- Gray Eyes: Ones to match her soulmate's. (Well, his default at any rate.)
- Green-Eyed Monster: She is intensely jealous of anyone who might take her precious Senpai away from her. Emphasis on the "Monster" part.
- Goofy Print Underwear: You can give her these. They serve a gameplay purpose (specifically, wearing them lessens reputation penalties).
- Hammerspace: How and where is she able to hide two weapons while completely naked?
- It was hinted at by YandereDev (though he could've been joking) that she places them in her… special areas.
- Heartbroken Badass: One of the game over types, and possibly the teased "SNAP" mode.
- Heel–Face Turn: Despite being an Ax-Crazy Yandere, she can go through this if she chooses to get her Love Interest and remove her rivals in the most humane way possible.
- Hidden Badass: Ayano was specifically designed to appear as plain as possible, and the creator has stated that she blended in so well that no one really noticed her her freshman year, except possibly Oka Ruto.
- Hollywood Thin: According to YandereDev, she is 165cm tall and weighs 43kg (that's 5'4" and 96lbs in US/Imperial measure). Realistically, that is incredibly underweight. Anticipating pushback, he then hung a lampshade on it by saying:
"Remember, anime girl weights are different from real-life."
- Humanoid Abomination: Ayano can become one via the transformations from the Demonic Possession route, though there's something inherently off about her to begin with.
- Improbable Weapon User: Equally good with a range of weapons, including katanas, screwdrivers, and syringes.
- In Love with Love: Ayano says in the second intro that she's addicted to the way Senpai makes her feel. She never says that she actually loves his personality or truly cares about him.
- Insecure Love Interest: To Senpai. She just Cannot Spit It Out to Senpai if there's someone else in the way.
- In-Series Nickname: Yan-chan. Short for Ayano In-Universe; short for that or Yandere-chan to players.
- Instant Expert: If she joins the Martial Arts Club, she'll be able to overpower any (killable) NPC she struggles with, even other members of the club who have been training for longer than her.
- In the Blood: Her mother was also a Yandere who murdered a student for love, and a secret tape states that her grandmother was the same. Word of God says that it goes back many generations.
- Intercontinuity Crossover: With YandereDev's permission, Ayano was added to Crush Crush as a love interest, though she's aged up a year to 18.
- It's All About Me: Ayano believes she's the only one who deserves to be with Senpai. After all, no other girl could appreciate him the way she does.
- Japanese Delinquent: If her reputation is low enough, she can associate with the other delinquents at school and get them to help her. If her reputation is moderate or high, they won't talk to her.
- Karma Houdini: She can get away with murders with ease. Just leave the bodies alone and get rid of your bloody clothes and weapon by putting them in the incinerator and activating it. If there's no evidence to connect you to the crime, you get off scot-free.
- Kick the Dog: YandereDev has said the only reason why he would consider putting a pet in the game is to show Yan-chan killing it if she felt it got in the way of her and Senpai. He later posted a comic made by a fan which shows exactly that.
- In July 2016, upon implementing the bury-a-body-in-the-garden mechanic, he teased the idea of throwing police dogs off the trail by having Yan-chan murder a small animal (probably a kitten) and burying it above the corpse, so the cops would give up the search upon finding it. However, he backed off of this idea a few days later when he realized that police dogs are trained to ignore false positives like that.
- Kill It with Fire: Ayano can douse a rival with gasoline and then flick a match in her direction, immolating them.
- Lack of Empathy: She admits that she was unable to feel anything for anyone until she met Senpai. How bad it is exactly depends on the actions she partakes in.
- Even for Senpai himself, she has no empathy. It doesn't matter how traumatized and heartbroken he is as long as she can have him.
- Laser-Guided Karma: It has been heavily implied that if Senpai finds out you're the one who killed his childhood friend and beloved little sister, you're going to regret it… all the way to the grave.
- Late for School: Being late to school will affect Yan-chan's Study Points. The tardier she is to class, the more the available study points will decrease, progressively dropping from five (on-time) to a minimum of one. Doing certain activities (like torturing a prisoner or reading manga at night) will make her arrive at school an hour later than normal, which isn't technically late, but you pretty much have to go straight to class.
- Laughing Mad: Can do this if you press the laugh button note repeatedly. It calms her down. However, doing so in front of your classmates hurts your reputation. Doing it in front of Senpai or a teacher will lead to a very swift Game Over.
- Lead You Can Relate To: The dev wanted her to be this. She is thus an empty, emotionless shell so that people can be in her shoes.
- Light Is Not Good: Her default school uniform is white. So are her panties.
- Limp and Livid: When her sanity is low she slouches menacingly.
- Love Interest: To Senpai. Not that he knows it. Yet.
- Love Makes You Evil: Her personality type is stated to be "Devoted", which is exclusive to ruthless Yandere people like her and her mother.
- Manipulative Bitch: Her social skills will make it easier for her to get people to help her. Also, she can set up her rivals and other people up so that she can have Senpai all to herself without shedding any blood.
- Mask of Sanity: Word of God says that the phrase "Sanity" is somewhat of an inaccurate term for that mechanic, as Yan-chan has more than a few screws loose regardless. Instead, it tracks how obvious her true nature is to onlookers. If it's high, she'll be able to interact normally with her classmates. However, if it's too low, the mask slips and people will be able to notice that there's something off about her.
- The Matchmaker: You can play her as this if you want.
- Meaningful Name: The Fakebook page for Akademi reveals her full name is Ayano Aishi. "Aishi", appropriately enough, is a mixture of "love" and "death". Additionally, the developer wanted a name with a "Yan" sound.
- Mega Twintails: This is one of her selectable hairstyles.
- Modesty Shorts: She can wear spats to make her run faster. The game puts a lampshade on the modesty part by saying that if a woman only wears spats under her skirt, it still counts as a Panty Shot to look at them, and saying that they are for sporty girls or exhibitionists.
- Multiple-Choice Past: How she acts at the end of the game will be determined by how you play.
- Murder Makes You Crazy: She will gradually lose sanity if she directly kills multiple people.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: You can do this to get rid of rivals.
- Nice Girl: Zig-zagged. She can't actually be nice – she lacks empathy along with most emotions, so she's a Manipulative Bitch at best – but she can fake it pretty well if she wants and act like a decent person. If the player goes through the game taking out rivals solely via matchmaking (essentially the Pacifist Run), she'll certainly come off like this.
- No Name Given: Prior to October 2015, she had no real name other than "Yandere-chan", which was more of a placeholder than anything. YandereDev eventually decided her name would be Ayano Aishi. He has taken to using her proper name more and more often when writing about the character.
- No Social Skills: At the start of the game, she knows how to pretend to be normal, but has no idea how to make friends or sustain conversations with other people.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She can pretend to be a Cute Clumsy Girl to seem unsuspicious when she trips and throws a bucket of water on someone. It becomes flat out Implausible Deniability if she "accidentally" tosses a bucket of gasoline on someone who then happens to burn to death that same day, or a bucket of blood on someone that you intend to frame.
- Oh, Crap!: When caught by Senpai or a teacher doing something wrong and it results in a Game Over.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Was this before she met Senpai. Can still be this if you don't do anything extreme. However, the Dev has said that because of her Empty Shell status, pretending to be one is the closest thing she has to a hobby.
- Pet the Dog: It is possible for her to do nice things for certain people such as pairing them up with someone they like (not the rivals with Senpai, of course).
- In the debug builds, she can help Kokona's father get out of debt… by kidnapping the Loan Shark's daughter and holding her for ransom, of course. Kokona is so thankful for this that she willingly stops her pursuit of Senpai (if you don't kill her during the cutscene).
- Playing Cyrano: The Matchmaking elimination method involves her telling a rival's suitor what to do through an earpiece.
- The Power of Love: Word of God says that the reason she's such a juggernaut in her pursuit of Senpai is because Yandere girls like her are just that driven to get the one they "love", which is why she can exert so much strength.
- Pragmatic Villainy: The other speculated ending to the Matchmaker route. Rather than finding her inner humanity, Yan-chan may just find murder, kidnapping, and bullying too messy and impractical.
- Professional Killer: In the alt-universe of Mission Mode, she's one of these instead of a yandere.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She used to wear pantyhose, but it was later switched to Zettai Ryouiki. The reason for that is that in the final game she'll conceal small weapons under her skirt, tucked under the side of the panties. Some of the Easter-Eggs still wear pantyhose, though.
- Psychotic Smirk: She flashes an unsettling grin when she flicks a lit match onto some poor gasoline-soaked sucker.
- Punny Name: YandereDev stated that he wanted a name that allowed her In-Series Nickname to be Yan-chan, an abbreviation of Yandere-chan – offering Ayana, Ayano, and Ayane as possibilities. He settled on Ayano.
- The Quiet One: Plot-wise, Yan-chan rarely talks to anyone unless necessary.
- Rapunzel Hair: You can give her this, either in pigtails or loose.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her eyes turn red when she activates Yandere-Vision.
- Removing the Rival: Her goal in the game. She can get rid of rivals in multiple ways: hooking them up with other people, sabotaging their interactions with Senpai, having them bullied until they stay home (or hang themselves), kidnapping them, or just outright killing them in one of myriad ways.
- Sailor Fuku: Her default look, which, as was soon pointed out to YanDev by someone who had taught in Japan, is actually a middle school uniform rather than a high school one.
- Sanity Meter: She has one. It decreases when she commits violent acts, and having low sanity makes her murder animations longer and more violent. If someone sees her visibly insane, she loses reputation, while if Senpai sees her insane, it's Game Over. You can restore sanity by laughing evilly or "using" pictures of Senpai.
- Sarashi: When wearing the Martial Arts Club uniform, the front of Yan-chan's gi is open enough to reveal she's wearing chest wraps underneath.
- Second Year Protagonist: Yan-chan's class is on the second floor (while Senpai's is on the third), suggesting that she is a second year student and Senpai is a year above her.
- Serial Killer: She can be this, and the earliest mechanics added into the game were geared to it.
- Shrinking Violet: Despite her resourcefulness and murderous intent, she experiences crippling shyness around Senpai. She seems to be fine around other people, though.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: One of the hairstyles you can give her is based off of Rei Ayanami.
- Significant Birth Date: The dev has said that he would like her birthday to be April 1st. Aside from the obvious, it's also the day before the game's development began in 2014.
- Significant Double Casting: Shares a voice actress with her mother, Ryoba. Why is it significant?
- Single-Target Sexuality: Yan-chan only has eyes for Senpai. It doesn't matter how many other nice guys she meets, or what Senpai's gender actually is. According to the second intro, she felt no emotions, positive or negative, until she met him/her.
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy: With ten† different girls making a move on him during the course of ten weeks, you can't dispute that Senpai is pretty popular.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Senpai comes off as a really sweet guy, overall — it's actually totally understandable that so many girls are into him. The poor bastard just has the bad luck of having also caught Yan-chan's eye.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: With Senpai.
- The Sociopath: She lacks empathy for others and is capable of doing anything to get with Senpai, from spreading rumors about others to outright killing them. She admits herself that she feels very little emotion and doesn't relate well to anyone in the school, not even knowing her beloved Senpai as a person. This can ultimately be played straight or averted, however, based on how you play her to the end – she has the option of being completely peaceful and this is said by Word of God to affect the ending.
- Stalker Shrine: She has one in her room. The developer has hinted there might be optional side-quests to obtain items for said shrine.
- Stalker with a Crush: For her beloved Senpai.
- Stalker Without a Crush: For her rivals. She can eavesdrop on people's conversations and learn more about them.
- Stalking Is Funny If Its Female After Male: YanDev has explicitly stated that he finds the idea of a male yandere character very unappealing. Downplayed in that what makes her stalking funny is not her gender, but how over-the-top her character is. Also, no matter how hilarious her antics are, the game and development videos make it clear that she's still a monster whose behavior should always be taken (relatively) seriously.
- Stepford Smiler: The second intro reveals that she has always been an Empty Shell, and was fine with it. It wasn't until she met Senpai that she felt love, and Osana when she felt rage. She can still act like a friendly teenage girl around her classmates while actually being a ruthless murderer. Word of God also says the closest thing she has to an actual hobby is pretending to be a normal girl.
- Superior Successor: Ryoba only has one known victim. Ayano can have up to a hundrednote , only ten of whom remotely count as threats.
- Teens Are Monsters: Stalking, violence, deceit, and murder are all perfectly okay to her. The developer has outright called her a monster on more than one occasion.
- Terse Talker: Her sentences tend to be brief, blunt, and to the point (unless she's talking about Senpai). This is shown best in her living room conversation with Kokona.
Kokona: You have a nice place, Yan-chan!
Kokona: Where are your parents?
Kokona: So you take care of yourself? That must be hard.
Yan-chan: I manage.
- There Are No Therapists: Downplayed. YandereDev has considered that Mr. Aishi may have tried to get help for Ayano when she was younger, due to him being unsettled by her emotionless personality as well as knowing the Aishi family's true nature from first-hand experience. However, all it did was teach her the importance of appearing normal.
- They Look Just Like Everyone Else!: By appearance, she's a normal high school girl. Under the surface, however...
- Trouser Space: Word of God says that she hides the smaller weapons (such as knives) in the side of her panties. This is supported by the Promo Concept video, where she pulls out a knife from her skirt's waistband.
- Twitchy Eye: If her sanity is low enough, she'll start to twitch a lot.
- Underboobs: You can see hers when you go into Venom Snake mode.
- Unknown Rival: Is this to Osana Najimi and possibly eight of the other nine rivals. The notable exception is the Student Council President, who appears to already know her.
- Unscrupulous Hero: Befriending a rival generally has the side effect of harming a student who has nothing to do with Senpai (but is connected to a threat to the rival).
- For example, Yan-chan can help Kokona's family get out of debt to a loan shark. How? By kidnapping his daughter and threatening to chop off her fingers. Borders on Nominal Hero; she's doing a brutal deed in a good cause for completely selfish motivations.
- Villain Protagonist: Fans of the game may like her, but no matter what, she's still a bad person because she's trying to ruin Senpai's love life for her own desires, to say nothing of the lives of the ten girls who get in her way (or any ordinary high school students in the wrong place at the wrong time). The developer himself put it best…
"Remember. Yandere-chan is not a good person. She's a monster."
- Of course, just how much of a villain she is is up to the player. While she will always hurt the people around her no matter what, it's entirely possible to do a Pacifist Run, in which case she is just a Manipulative Bitch with a few (downplayed) redeeming qualities, and not a full-on mass-murderer. One can even make her an Anti-Hero if they have her remove her rivals via matchmaking and befriending.
- Villainous Breakdown: If she doesn't get to confess her love to Senpai. In fact, you can invoke this from the Game Over screen instead of restarting.
- Villain Forgot to Level Grind: If you get her into a "fight" with a teacher or Heroic student without upgrading her Physical Education stat enough first.
- Villain with Good Publicity: If you keep her reputation up.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: Has these for most of the bad ending cutscenes. It also happens when she's visibly insane.
- When She Smiles: Can be seen smiling when preparing food as a member of the Cooking Club, and it's adorable.
- Would Hurt a Child: If you end up going down the "kill everyone" route with Senpai's cute younger sister, Yan-chan is almost certainly going to end up doing this. Well, "child" is a relative term in this case, since Hanako-chan is a freshman (that's 10th grade in Japan), only two years younger than Senpai.
- Yandere: The entire point of this game. She's one for Senpai, playing every aspect of the trope to a T as part of the game's shtick. However, YanDev has also admitted that Ayano may or may not count as one depending on how strictly one defines a yandere.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is customizable. While most of her hairstyle options are natural colours, some fall into this. One of the updates allowed the player to give her Yuno Gasai's pink hair, as well as Rei Ayanami's light blue bob. Also available are Info-chan's ruby-red hair, Pippi's two-tone hair, three variations of a short pink 'do, and a couple of green styles that defy all logic and sanity.
Taronote /Taekonote Yamada
"What's up with her? She's acting strange..."
Voiced by: Austin HivelySenpai is a regular Senior-year student at Akademi High who inadvertently becomes the target of affection for Ayano-chan and ten other females at the school. He (or she, eventually) is around 18 years old, has a "Loner" personality, and is in Class 3-2.
- Author Avatar: In one of the videos showcasing the problem that YandereDev has with e-mails, his model is used for demonstration purposes. He's also used to represent YanDev in a couple of other videos.
- Bald of Awesome: One of the hairstyles you can give him on the customization screen.
- Beware the Nice Ones: YandereDev states if he's pushed too far and he finds out that Yan-chan was the cause of all his torment, it doesn't end well... as we see Senpai grab a knife.
- Big Brother Instinct: It's implied that he will have this to his little sister once she's implemented in the game.
- Big Man on Campus: Downplayed. At first, only the unpopular girls will like him. Then, each subsequent rival is more difficult to defeat than the previous one. Sometimes because of popularity.
- Bi the Way: Senpai can be male or female, yet the rivals are Always Female, and adding a Spear Counterpart to Ayano is a proposed stretch goal.
- Brainy Brunette: He has black hair by default. He's frequently seen reading a book at the fountain during the morning, implying that he's a bit of a bookworm.
- Break the Cutie: He has close relationships with two of the rivals (Osana Najimi and his younger sister), and the developer has stated that the way they disappear from his life may give him serious mental problems by the end of the game, including PTSD. Even if rivals are dealt with non-violently, it appears he'll either suffer trust or abandonment issues, depending on the methods used.
- Broken Bird: Like Yan-chan, Senpai has a sanity meter. It will be damaged if he witnesses something disturbing. note Heaven help you if he finds out you killed his best friend and his sister when he has low sanity...
- Call to Agriculture: Sort of. Info-chan won't give you any information on Senpai, but players who have looked at the character files in the early builds noted he was in the Gardening Club (the game's original "null" setting for club stat, since replaced by "None"). He can also be seen on Akademi's social media site asking how old the cherry blossom trees are. However, Word of God officially stated that Senpai will never join any club (though he may drop in on several).
- Canon Name: While YanDev has stated that he wants players to be able to change Senpai's name, the character bio on the official site more or less states that the male and female variants are canonically Taro Yamada and Taeko Yamada respectively. That said, unless Hanako's surname gets programmed to change to whatever is set as Senpai's surname, the Yamada surname will be consistent despite renames.
- Chick Magnet: He's very popular with the female student body, but not at the start of the game. This is the reason why rivals must be killed/kidnapped/paired up with someone else.
- Childhood Friends: With Osana Najimi.
- Conveniently Seated: Word of God says he has "the main character chair" seated in the back next to the window. Sure enough, in the redesigned school (where the students finally sit at their desks), that's where his desk is.
- Cool Shades: You can give him a pair when you're customizing him.
- Covert Pervert: When someone asked whether he'd really accept the Nurse's feelings on Twitter, the Dev replied by basically implying that he might have a nurse fetish.
- Cowardly Lion: Senpai has a "Loner" persona, meaning his reaction to seeing a dead body is to run off campus to call the police. In addition, many of his quotes upon seeing Yan-chan doing something... unsavory have him react with shell-shocked horror. However, YandereDev is considering having it where if Senpai sees you kill a rival while wearing a mask, he'll rip it off you personally to expose your identity.
- The Dog Bites Back: YanDev has mused the possibility of Senpai actually killing Yan-chan himself, should he lose sanity and discover she (that is, you) caused the death of a loved one (his sister mentioned specifically) in front of him.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Presumably the case if you decide you want a female Senpai, since you and the potential suitors will still be female.
- Everyone Has Standards:
- Nice as he is, there are limits to what he'll take. If you stand near him too long, he'll get creeped out and eventually lash out and tell you to go away, triggering a game over. And he also (obviously) won't react well to any signs of Yan-chan's true murderous nature. Adding on to this, he'll be repulsed if he sees Yan-chan taking panty shots.
- On a darker level, in the final game, he will not accept a love confession from a rival who has a sufficiently bad reputation. This also extends to you (though him rejecting you will result in a game over).
- Fetish: YandereDev has implied that he might have one for nurses.
- Gay Option: Senpai is male by default, but he can be made a female, turning Senpai (and the entire game) into this. If the option is given to play as a boy, then it will be this a second time around.
- The Generic Guy: He's a walking nod to all the generic Nice Guy protagonists of harem anime and dating sims. It's to the point where his name is the Japanese equivalent of John Smith.
- Gray Eyes: His default design includes these.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: So far, it's planned that while he's only referred to as "Senpai"† in dialogue, the player would be able to pick a name for him that would appear in Student Info and social media.
- Hero of Another Story: With the tropes listed above and the fact that he slowly starts amassing a harem, he'd more than likely be the protagonist of a harem anime or dating sim if he was the main character.
- Love Interest: To Yan-chan. And about ten other ladies… who need to be… dealt with.
- Meganekko: You can not only decide to give your Senpai glasses, but have several options. You can even give him Cool Shades (including 3D glasses) if you want. And because you can also make a female Senpai, you can make her one.
- Meaningful Name: Senpai's placeholder name, Taro Yamada, is about as generic a name as the default design for Senpai (being a rough, Japanese equivalent to John Smith or John Doe).
- Multiple Endings: Senpai will develop different complexes depending on how Yan-chan eliminates the rivals. Some examples:
- Majority of rivals commit suicide — Senpai develops a fear that all women are on the brink of suicide.
- Majority of rivals framed for murder — Senpai develops a fear that all women are murderers.
- Majority of rivals set up with another boy — Senpai worries that no girl will ever love him.
- Majority of rivals expelled from school or have their interactions with Senpai sabotaged — Senpai develops a negative opinion of women.
- Majority of rivals die in "accidents" — Senpai worries that he is cursed.
- Discovers that Yan-chan is behind the murders — Senpai attacks her.
- Nice Guy: He seems to be a kind and all-around decent guy, which is possibly what attracts Yan-chan.
- No Name Given: He's simply known as "Senpai", although the October 2015 update implied his actual name is Taro Yamada (the Japanese equivalent of John Smith). The Dev has said he would like for the player to be able to choose Senpai's name.
- Not Good with People: Downplayed. He was originally a member of the Gardening Club, and Word of God says he prefers nature more than he does people. That said, while he's introverted, he's a Nice Guy who happens to become a Chick Magnet over the course of the game.
- Oblivious to Love: He may not realize that he's very desirable to his classmates.
- Oh, Crap!: When witnessing something bad happen.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Is this for the most part.
- Please Wake Up: In the second part of the January Osana Progress Report, as he witnesses Osana choking to death on poison, he'll say this to her.
"Osana, answer me! Wake up! Please wake up! Don't do this!"
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: While he's male by default, it will be possible to choose his gender in the final product.
- The Quiet One: According to the developer, Senpai prefers solitude, and he's often seen sitting alone at lunch.
- Reality Ensues: The methods the player takes to eliminate love rivals can potentially have a negative impact on Senpai's psyche. Kill too many of them, and Senpai could become a Broken Bird. Ruin his relationship with all of them, and he could wind up as a He-Man Woman Hater.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: The developer has hinted that, at the end of the game, if you have pushed him too far and he finds out that Yan-chan is the source of all his misery, she's probably getting a knife to the face.
- Sanity Meter: He also has one that steadily decreases as he witnesses bad things happening around him. If his sanity is at rock-bottom by the end of the game... see Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Sanity Slippage: YandereDev plans to have this happen to him if his sister and/or his Childhood Friend are killed.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: If he sees a (non-poisoned) body, he'll leave campus to alert the cops. This is in contrast to the other boys, who will always run into the school to get a teacher or fight you.
- Sempai Kouhai: Senpai is Ayano's sempai because he's one year above her. He's also Osana's (as she and Ayano are in the same class).
- Significant Double Casting: If male, he shares a voice actor with Yan-chan's father. Why is it significant?
- Teacher's Pet: Averted. He'll only report a corpse to a teacher if the school atmosphere is low or if they're poisoned. Because that is what all students will do, regardless of their persona.
- Unlucky Everydude: He attracts the attention of a Yandere and is going to be put through the worst experience of his life.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Him meeting Ayano, and Ayano falling for him, is the reason for (almost) everything evil that happens in the story. Certainly for everything evil that happens around him.
- Whipped: He's portrayed as a pushover in response to how his tsundere friend Osana Najimi treats him, as well as his own little sister (he'll actually agree if she demands he not get any girlfriends, for example).
- You Monster!: Says this verbatim to Yan-chan in at least one of the bad endings.
"You're a client and I'm a provider. That's all we need to know about each other."
Voiced by: Cayla M. MartinAyano's ally in "winning" Senpai's affections. Yan-chan can take pictures of her classmates or panty shots and send them to Info-chan for, well, info. She's around 17 years old. She belongs to her own little club of one, and somehow is exempt from a lot of school rules.
- 0% Approval Rating: Her reputation, at least as "Info-chan", is permanently set at -999.note Everyone at school knows what she does. This is a big reason why she keeps her true identity a secret.
- Ambiguously Bi: She was originally intended to be the final rival for Senpai's affection, but in her official art, she's looking at a Panty Shot photo while blushing. This implies that her reasons for requesting them aren't just so she can sell them to other people.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Part of her reputation is that when she asks for a favor, you do it… or else.
- Blackmail: According to Yan-chan, she has a history of blackmailing girls. For a price, you can have her do her thing to your rivals.
- Crazy-Prepared: She has at least one CCTV camera installed, right outside the Info Club room (wherein she has barricaded herself).
- Curtains Match the Window: Red eyes and red hair to match.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: It's the default uniform, after all. However, she has thus far never appeared on campus in person – at least not in a way you can see her up close – so you can't take panty shots of her.
- The Dragon: She's Yan-chan's main ally in her quest for love.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Though her currency is panty shots, she doesn't accept any panty shots from corpses, though it might actually be for pragmatic reasons, as they'll probably be a bit too incriminating for her.
- Evil Duo: With Ayano. Yan-chan will send Info-chan upskirt photos, while Info-chan introduces the rivals to her and also provides basic information about anyone whose face Yan-chan photographs. If Yan-chan sends Info-chan enough upskirts, then Info-chan will do favors, such as give out blackmail or send a student home.
- Eviler Than Thou: She's even worse than Yan-chan, and that's saying something.
- Evil Redhead: Absolutely.
- In the first (now outdated) intro, she was the one who pushed Yan-chan to take action against Osana Najimi, outright telling her to kill.
- In the second intro, she's fully aware of Ayano's nature (Yan-chan already wants Osana dead), and also seems to hold some sort of grudge against Osana and has no qualms about sending Osana to her death. She will probably be similarly callous about other rivals.
- In-game, she responds to photos of your murder victims with nothing more than "good work, but I don't need photos like this".
- Final Boss: Played straight early in development but later averted. She's the mythical Second Yandere, and concept art exists of her and Yan-chan having a rooftop knife fight during a thunderstorm. However, that idea was eventually scrapped.
- Freudian Excuse: Although Word of God could eventually refute it, some things in the game imply that she's the daughter of the Journalist.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Wears glasses which are visible even in the gloom of her hideout and is just as sociopathic, if not moreso, than Yan-chan herself.
- Friend to Psychos: She's a "friend" to Yan-chan, although they're less actual friends and more simply allies who are mutually exploiting each other. The second intro of the game seems to imply that Info-chan has something against Osana Najimi.
- Get Out: If the player manages to glitch or mod their way into the Info Club, the game resets the week. Before that, though, you can hear Info-chan's response to Yan-chan suddenly appearing in the room, which is… less than positive.
- Greater-Scope Villain: It's very likely that she has her fingers in many other pies. If nothing else, she's definitely the Greater-Scope Villain to Yan-chan's Big Bad.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: Unlike Ayano, Info-chan's reasons for wanting Osana to die are completely unknown. All she says about it is that she'd "be happy if something bad happened to Osana-chan", and that Yan-chan is the right person to give Osana "what she deserves".
- In-Series Nickname: She acknowledges her nickname when introducing herself to Yan-chan.
- Karma Houdini: YandereDev doesn't want her to be killable, and her being the second Yandere was scrapped. Unless she ends up being a Bonus Boss, it's likely she'll get away with everything scot free.
- Knowledge Broker: She's able to identify any student you send her a picture of along with various other useful information on them.
- Meaningful Name: She helps the player learn more about the other characters. When a picture of a character is taken, she'll tell Yan-chan everything she knows about them.
- Meganekko: She wears a pair of glasses with red, rectangle-shaped frames, and it fits with her being the game's Knowledge Broker. However, it only makes her creepier.
- Oh, Crap!: Not a reaction you'd expect from a girl as cool-headed as Info-chan. But, in Mission Mode, if you manage to snap multiple photos of Nemesis, Info-chan's reactions slowly go from confused to this.
"Strange, I don't recognize this girl."
"…wait. I think I know who she is."
"You are in danger. Avoid her."
"Do not engage. I repeat: Do. Not. Engage."
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Everyone calls her "Info-chan" because no one knows what her real name is. The developer has implied this is intentional on her part – she goes out of her way to avoid anyone associating her true identity with "Info-chan", to the point of leading a double life.
- Panty Shots: It's her currency. However, because she is not an accessible character, you can't get any photos of hers. She also won't accept panty shots of dead girls. YandereDev is also entertaining the idea of alternative ways to earn access to her services,
- Psychotic Smirk: Her default expression.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: If you send her enough photos of an undisguised Nemesis, she will be quite succinct in telling you to stay the hell away from her.
"I repeat: Do. Not. Engage."
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She's red-eyed, and she's the handler who's manipulating a (potential) Serial Killer. Heck, she was originally a second Yandere.
- The Rival: The original plan for the game, as stated by the dev, was for Info-chan to like Senpai during the final week and for you to have a Battle in the Rain with her. This idea has since been scrapped.
- Sailor Fuku: Just like every other girl in school.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Red half-frames.
- Stalker Without a Crush: This might be the way she gets her information. However, she might also get the info from connections she has. Yan-chan herself can be one such connection if you so choose.
- Teens Are Monsters: She's definitely this. Just think about it. Her currency is Panty Shots!
- The Unseen: Sort of. She does attend school, but she spends all of her time in the (locked) Info Club room and cannot be interacted with directly, although you can peek in to see her at work. Her profile picture is in silhouette (except for her glasses and hair). Attempting to access her profile leads to a glitched out screen and a (recorded!) message from her telling you not to bother.
- Voice with an Internet Connection: While she'll be attending school like all other students and will communicate with Yan-chan, you'll never actually encounter her in-game in order to avoid the dilemma of being able to kill her. note
The 10 Rivals
These are the ten ladies who challenge Ayano's love for Senpai. All of them like him along with one other so that you can play matchmaker and set them up with someone else if you wish.
At the beginning of the term, Senpai will only be liked by unpopular girls who are easy to deal with. Over the next ten weeks, the rivals become tougher – popularity being one possible reason. The rivals will also not be in school before their week begins, so you can't get rid of them early. note If you finish off a rival early, you will get the option to skip to the next week.
At the beginning of the term, Senpai will only be liked by unpopular girls who are easy to deal with. Over the next ten weeks, the rivals become tougher – popularity being one possible reason. The rivals will also not be in school before their week begins, so you can't get rid of them early. note If you finish off a rival early, you will get the option to skip to the next week.
These people provide examples of:
- Always Female: All ten rivals are female.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: All of the rivals will do this if you don't stop it. note
- Bi the Way: The dev stated that they will all remain girls even if Senpai becomes a girl. It's assumed that all their other crushes are boys, so they'd like both boys and girls in that case.
- Buxom Is Better: A few of the rivals are pretty gifted in a certain area, some to ridiculous levels.
- Both adult rivals – Muja Kina and Mida Rana – have busts so big (especially in concept art) that they qualify for Gag Boobs status.
- Kizana and Megami are also shown to have larger than average busts.
- Guillermo "kjech" Iglesias, the current (as-of-2016) character artist, lampshaded this when he drew this sketch of Hanako, calling her the "cute little sister who doesn't appear to be so little."
- Exceptions thus far are Oka and Osana (whose models exist and have average-sized busts at best), along with Amai. Osoro constantly wears a sarashi, so it's difficult to tell with her.
- Contractual Boss Immunity: Info-chan has (or will have) an option where you can call in a favor to get a student sent home by faking devastating family news. However, the Rivals will be immune to it, to prevent Yan-chan from sabotaging their confession that easily.
- Their schedules will keep them in front of many witnesses at all times to prevent you from simply waltzing up to them and stabbing them in the face.
- Curtains Match the Window: The vast majority of the rivals have the same color hair and eyes, regardless of how much or little sense it makes. Amai is the major exception. Asu's hair and eyes don't quite match either.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Just like all the other girls at school. All the better to take Panty Shots with.
- Dark Secret: Each of the rivals will have one that can be used against them.
- Driven to Suicide: If you destroy their reputation enough.note
- Gender Flip: For April Fool's Day 2017, the introduction video was re-posted featuring bishified male versions of them… only this time, it wasn't Senpai they were after, but Ayano herself.
- Has a Type: The Matchmaking elimination method revolves around figuring out each rival's type and molding a student who has a crush on them into fitting those criteria.
- Hero of Another Story: In a less-insane Dating Sim, they would be the members of the harem each trying to win protagonist Senpai's heart. You could honestly make a game based around them romancing Senpai. Unfortunately for them, they're in this game.
- Iconic Item: YandereDev had mentioned (and the Rival Introduction video later confirmed) that each rival would be recognizable by a pair of unique stockings.note
- Love Interest: To Senpai. All the rivals will also have a second crush that you can pair them with.
- Kill the Cutie: Some of the rivals are meant to be likable and/or cute (such as Hanako and Oka Ruto), but all will be killable. That's one of the punishments you can mete out for their getting in between Yan-chan and her Senpai.
YanDev: "Several of the rivals are supposed to be likable characters who don't deserve to die. I want the player to feel shame/guilt."
- Murder the Hypotenuse: You don't have to kill them, but you can, and many of the gameplay features involve the various ways you can murder them.
- Pair the Spares: Aside from murder, you can peacefully remove them by setting them up with someone other than Senpai.
- Permanently Missable Content: Maybe? Four of your rivals are club presidents. Normally, killing or kidnapping a club president results in their club being disbanded and any perks Yan-chan could gain from that club disappearing. However, YandereDev has given conflicting information about whether killing or kidnapping these club presidents during their "Rival" weeks would also result in the club shutting down for good. note
- As mentioned on the main page, killing or kidnapping a student who is set to be a Rival's secondary suitor renders Matchmaking impossible for the week. Same story if you kill a student who would be involved in a Rival's Befriend/Betrayal (e.g. Musume). This is intentional, and is your consequence of playing the game as a murder-happy nutcase.
- Punny Name: All but one of the rivals (Hanako) has either this or a Meaningful Name.
- Removing the Rival: You'll have to get rid of them one way or another if you want to keep your Senpai.
- The Rival: Each one is Yan-chan's rival for Senpai's affections.
- Sailor Fuku: Every student rival – that is, all of them except Muja Kina (substitute nurse) and Mida Rana (substitute teacher) – wears the standard Akademi uniform. Some, like Osoro and Oka, may wear a jacket over it.
- Shock and Awe: You can kill them this way. Here's how! Here's why it works!
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: They all went after the Nice Guy. Of course, they're also planned to have another crush that Yan-chan can pair them off with to get them out of her way without killing them.
- You Bastard: Many of the rivals are designed to be extremely likeable girls with endearing personalities. The developer stated that he wants players to feel guilty about killing them.
- Zettai Ryouiki: All the rivals are designed with special stockings to make them stand out. The only exceptions are Asu and Osoro, who wear short socks; and Hanako, who wears normal knee-socks, although in the future she might also have special stockings.
"Did you oversleep again? Ugh, you always keep me waiting! D-don't get the wrong idea! I-it's not like I like you or anything… dummy!"
Voiced by: Brittany LaudaThe very first of Yan-chan's rivals. She is Senpai's Tsundere childhood friend and secretly harbors feelings for him. Because she believes in the Myth of the Cherry Tree, she plans to tell him of her feelings on Friday under that tree to make sure he'll accept her. Osana serves as a tutorial of sorts for the player and is the easiest rival to defeat.
- Berserk Button: In this video (made by the game's voice actors), Osana is willing to have a (relatively) civilized rap battle with Ayano, until Ayano taunts her about banging Senpai. Osana responds by attacking her.
- Butt-Monkey: As the first true rival to be revealed, she tends to be on the receiving end of a lot of abuse.
- Several non-gameplay-related videos – "I Want My Senpai Back", "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Murder", etc. – feature her being brutally killed.
- "Raising the Strength Stat" doesn't show her being killed per se, but Yan-chan does grab her by the pigtails and hammer-toss her into the stratosphere.
- As progress on her AI and routines continued into 2017, she took on this role in-game as well.
- Her original design – now the non-character symbolic stand-in "Rival-chan" – zig-zags this.
- Rival-chan adorns the Challenges page. Almost every picture shows the girl getting beaten up or dying in one way or another. Her death is also the climax of "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Murder" (where Osana and Kokona are taken out easily offscreen).
- On the other hand, Rival-chan's model (present in the debug builds since January 2015) has no hitbox. Two videos have been made lampshading her indestructibility.
- Several non-gameplay-related videos – "I Want My Senpai Back", "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Murder", etc. – feature her being brutally killed.
- Childhood Friends: With Senpai.
- Childhood Friend Romance: If you don't butt in, she'll become Senpai's girlfriend.
- Coy, Girlish Flirt Pose: During development, her character model before her redesign sometimes did this.
- Curtains Match The Windows: More or less for her ginger hair.
- Fiery Redhead: She has orange hair to go with her Tsundere personality.
- First Girl Wins: If she gets to confess to Senpai.
- Freudian Excuse: Her Dark Secret has been hinted at. Apparently someone is harassing her and someone close to her somehow, to the point where Osana threatens to call the police. It hasn't been revealed what exactly is going on, but the fact that Osana refers to them as a "creep" may suggest she has a stalker of her own.
- Girlish Pigtails: Wears her hair in pigtails, as a nod to the typical Tsundere image. They were originally short and plump, but were later designed as more long and slender.
- Hair Decorations: She wears pink and white polka-dotted scrunchies with her pigtails and a red ribbon.
- Jerkass: She is a Tsundere. However, as befitting the trope, she's only truly a jerk to Senpai. See the next bullet point.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She seems to be a decent person otherwise. As an example, she acts rather friendly to Ayano during her Friendship Task.
- Meaningful Name: Her full name is Japanese for "childhood friend", and has this sort of relationship with Senpai.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: According to YandereDev here, Osana is the only aversion to this that Hanako will allow. Since they're childhood friends, Osana is the one person she is willing to "give" her big brother to.
- No Sympathy: If Yan-chan eliminates Osana nonlethally, but kills Hanako, YandereDev has said that Osana will make no attempt to comfort her grieving childhood friend. This is especially jarring since Osana is also friends with Hanako, and Hanako herself would be upset if Osana were the one to die.
- Off with Her Head!: Her unique elimination method appears to result in this. Yan-chan removes the protective grate covering the school's rooftop heat/air unit, then grabs one of Osana's long pigtails and feeds it into the moving fan – Osana gets sucked into the unit and violently decapitated before it explodes.
- Ordinary High-School Student: She doesn't appear too abnormal, aside from being Akademi's only ginger.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: She's had feelings for Senpai since they were kids. It's even in her name.
- Punny Name: Her name loosely translates in English to "childhood friend".
- Rapunzel Hair: She has thin butt-length pigtails and is in contention for longest hair of any girl in the game. Ayano can exploit this for a unique (and incredibly bloody) murder, as noted above.
- Starter Villain: She's the first "villain" to go up against our "hero", Ayano-chan. The developer has said she functions as a tutorial of sorts… though there is also likely to be an actual tutorial to teach new players basic mechanics before Osana's week officially begins. note
- Subcultures In Japan: Her old character model orange hair, loose socks, and Hair Decorations give her a distinctly kogal appearance. Whether that's intentional or not is unknown.
- Tareme Eyes: Her original model – now officially a placeholder non-character known as "Rival-chan" – had these. Her look and intended personality not matching up was the reason she was redesigned.
- Technicolor Eyes: Orange ones.
- Through His Stomach: The progress report video on her shows her trying to win over Senpai by preparing him a boxed lunch, which Yan-chan can sabotage with rat poison and emetic medicine.
- Tsundere: This is her character type, first glimpsed in the original opening cutscene:
"Don't get the wrong idea! It's not like I want to walk to school with you! I only walk with you because you'd probably get lost without my help! You're hopeless!"
- Parodied to an extent in the story "I Want My Senpai Back".
Yan-chan: "Have you seen my Senpai?"
Osana: N-no! Why are you asking ME!? I-it's not like I like him or anything! I don't even NEED a Senpai! I wouldn't date YOUR Senpai! D-don't ask me any more questions! Baka!
- Parodied to an extent in the story "I Want My Senpai Back".
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: If only because she unintentionally ran afoul of Yan-chan.
- Warm-Up Boss: The developer confirmed that Osana is this, as her strength is weak, she has no club or posse, and she's much easier to befriend or frame than future rivals. However, she'll still have a routine that always keeps her near Senpai or other students, unless you put in the work to get her alone.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She has long pink socks with white polka dots. Since she's a Tsundere with Girlish Pigtails… yup, Grade S.
"Senpai, you're just in time! I baked cookies, would you like some? ...Y-y'know, Senpai...I wouldn't mind cooking for you everyday..."
Voiced by: Kimberly Ann CampbellThe caring president of the Cooking Club. She is an excellent chef-in-training who loves to see people enjoy the food she prepared. A sweet, gentle girl who will bond with Senpai quickly.
- A Friend in Need: After Senpai is feeling sad and vulnerable, reeling over however you eliminated Osana in the previous week, Amai becomes Senpai's friend just when he really needs one, which also kick-starts Amai's own romantic feelings towards him.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Inverted; if you don't eliminate Amai, then a romance can happen because she was nice to him.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: While her current 3D character model lacks them due to technical limitations, her official design shown on the game's website is noteworthy for making her one of the only characters in the entire game to have thick eyebrows (Osoro is the other).
- Boyish Short Hair: Her hair is fairly short compared to most other rivals, probably so she doesn't have to tie it back when cooking. However, she's about as far from a tomboy as one can get.
- The Chick: Is probably the kindest rival out of all of them.
- Cool Big Sis: She's very cool, considering she's so sweet and caring.
- Curtains Match the Window: Notable for being one of the only rivals to avert it – Brown hair and green eyes.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Very girly-seeming and the president of the Cooking Club.
- Nice Girl: She's been consistently described as a gentle, caring Cool Big Sis type; as her profile on the website notes, "nothing makes her happier than seeing people enjoy the food that she has prepared." Also, she's nice enough to offer to be Senpai's friend simply because he was feeling sad and vulnerable and really needed one, which is what can kick-start a romance if you fail to eliminate her.
- Punny Name: "Amai (甘い)" means "sweet (taste)" in Japanese; odayaka means "calm" or "gentle".
- Relationship Upgrade: It is remarked that Amai and Senpai become close because she is friendly and Senpai needs a friend. She is hoping for more.
- Supreme Chef: She kinda has to be, since she's the president of the Cooking Club. The character page confirms that Amai's culinary skills are far beyond those of a normal high schooler.
- Through His Stomach: She will make Senpai food as she gets close to him.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the Girly Girl to Asu's Tomboy.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: Since Amai is not a "demo" rival like Osana, it's likely that eliminating her will be significantly more difficult than the first week.
"It's only natural that I'd get the lead role in the play! I deserve it more than anyone else. Senpai~, I'm going to be Juliet. Would you be my Romeo?"
Voiced by: Katelyn BarrThe self-centered president of the Drama Club. She harbors three desires – to be the most popular girl in school, to be the greatest actor to ever live, and to get Senpai. That last one means Yan-chan must deal with her.
- Alpha Bitch: Has elements of this. Her short-term goal is to become the most popular girl in school, and she's described as haughty, arrogant, and rude. In the video addressing Kokona's and Kizana's similar appearances, she is shown copying Kokona's hairstyle, then demanding that Ayano tell Kokona to change it because it's now "hers."
- Composite Character: Potentially. Her current design strongly resembles Kokona Haruka, one of the first NPC's to be introduced into the game and also the debug builds' test rival.note It is possible that some of Kokona's backstory could be reused for Kizana. While the developer once considered making the two characters one and the same, blowback from fans (who pointed out the two characters have nearly opposite personalities) forced him to consider more creative options. As of now, nothing is settled.
- Drama Club: She's its leader.
- Dramatically Missing the Point: Kizana hopes to win over Senpai's heart by asking him to be the "Romeo" to her "Juliet". It's fitting for an aspiring actress like Kizana to choose a famous Shakespeare play, but the problem is that Romeo and Juliet kill themselves at the end of the play, which is probably not what Kizana wants a relationship with Senpai to be like.
- Fatal Method Acting: In-Universe. It's been hinted that each of the rivals will have unique murder methods that can be used only on them, and hers would involve dying on-stage.
- Flower Motifs: Red roses, as a symbol of both the romance she's hoping for and her desire to be adored as a performer. She wears two roses in her hair and one on her black choker, her stockings are patterned with images of roses and leaves, and her introductory video has her being showered with roses while spotlighted on-stage.
- Hair Decorations: Wears two red roses, one on each pigtail.
- Irony: The play she's trying to romance Senpai with is Romeo and Juliet, of all things. This play is one of Shakespeare's tragedies, a drama about two kids who just fell in love and, in less than a week (three days to be exact), it ends abruptly with their self-inflicted deaths. Depending on how things go – that is, how the player deals with her – either Kizana will be killed in less than a week (abruptly ending her attempt to woo Senpai), or she'll confess her love to Senpai… at which point Yan-chan might very well kill them both and herself (if the "Promo Concept" is any indication).
- It's All About Me: She's very fond of herself. One proposed solution for the whole Kokona/Kizana problem is to have her rip off Kokona's hairstyle, then browbeat Yan-chan into forcing Kokona to change her hair so she can have her own unique hair. Real mature.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Though she must have some talent to become the president of the Drama Club, she's still described as "arrogant".
- Large Ham: Kizana clearly has a flair for the dramatic, as shown in her currently available dialogue. She also speaks a lot with her hands during her proposed task, as seen in the video focusing on her and Kokona. It makes sense really; she is a stage actress, after all.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Newer videos from YanDev have had him toying with the idea of making Kizana this, rather than a straight-up Alpha Bitch. Sassy, commanding, and charismatic, but still likable and ultimately a nice person.
- Meaningful Name: "Kizana" means "snobbish", while "Sunobu" is Engrish for "snob".
- Mega Twintails: Hers are very tightly coiled and pinned with red roses. Note however that the developer has openly discussed changing her hairstyle to rectify the Kokona problem described above.
- Pride: Has a lot of confidence in herself.
- Proud Beauty: According to hypothetical dialogue, Kizana wouldn't feel too bad about masks being banned because "a mask would only rob the school of the privilege of being able to see my stunning good looks."
- Romance on the Set: In-universe, apparently this is part of her tactic of romancing Senpai. She's trying to nudge him into the Drama Club. The school's play happens to be Romeo and Juliet. She feels she's the best to play Juliet. And well, what better way to get your crush to notice you than having to act out a romance together? She doesn't seem to consider how the play turns out for the titular characters, however.
- Small Name, Big Ego: She's very fond of herself, and while she is a talented actress, she doesn't appear to have any other skills. This may change once we see more of her, though.
- To Be a Master: According to her character profile on the official website, Kizana's goal is "to be the most famous actress who has ever lived".
- The Tragic Rose: Potentially. She has a rose motif reflecting her desire for love, and this can result if you take her out via murder or bullying by proxy.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: In twin-drill-tails, no less.
- However, this may change along with her hairstyle due to fans' attachment to Kokona, the test rival who has a nearly identical look but totally different personality. Test art exists of Kizana sporting silver hair.
"We're about to summon a demon... Would you like to join us...? ...I can't stop thinking about that boy... I think he cast a hex on me..."
Voiced by: Caitlin "Mom0ki" MyersThe weird president of the Occult Club. She has a strong belief in the supernatural, and wants to dedicate her life to proving such creatures exist. After falling in love with Senpai in a short period of time, she believes there's something supernatural about him. Uniquely amongst the rivals, she appears in the debug buildsnote as an interactable NPC to provide functionality for her club. Her routine will be different when she is a rival. Her NPC persona is "Coward". She is in class 3-2.
- Adorkable: She's shy, insecure, wants to have friends, everything about her is adorable.
- Not in the game itself, as they are never shown to interact, but in works by their shared voice actress, мσм0кι, Oka Ruto and Midori Gurin are always at odds with each other, especially in this video, with Oka using demon powers against "Magical Girl Pretty Midori".
- Given her obsession with "unmasking" them, Oka might view the Basu sisters this way.
- Aura Vision: She claims to have this, and if she witnesses Yan-chan committing a murder, she'll say she can't join the occult club because her aura is too dark and will attract evil spirits.
- Breakout Character: She may very well be the most popular of all the rivals. This is due in large part to her strange, cute, and quirky personality… and the fact that she was present in the debug builds (while most other rivals stayed under wraps for nearly a year) so fans had a chance to get to know her. YandereDev openly said he considers her the cutest of the rivals, although that was only part of the reason he introduced her early.* As such, she appears very often in other works outside of the game itself, especially those made by her voice actress.
- In fact, a thread on the game's subreddit asked players who they were going to kill or spare once the game was finished. Almost all of the commenters vowed to spare Oka.
- Kjech has also alluded to this. When he drew this sketch of Oka, he referred to her as "Everyone's favorite" and admitted he feels tremendous pressure when drawing her due to not wanting to upset her legions of fans. Of course, said fans loved the sketch.
- Chuunibyou: She has a severe case.
- Creepy Child: "Child" is pushing it (as a senior, she's 18 or close to it), but still… Word of God describes her as "creepy" and "spooky". Her idea of a fun club activity is attempting to summon a demon.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: Turns out you can summon demons…
- Curtains Match the Window: Dark blue hair and eyes. An updated character model made her eyes more purple, but it's still close enough to count.
- Early-Bird Cameo: In a meta sense. Oka's not the first rival (she's actually the fourth), but she was added to the debug builds as a NPC nearly a year before most other rivals were unveiled, for a variety of reasons – while Kokona was the elimination guinea pig, Oka has been used to test several technical character model things.note Her presence in the game led to her club being one of the first to have full functionality.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: She has very dark blue hair, and she will eventually have a pale skin tone.
- Everyone Has Standards: Like the rest of the Club Presidents, she'll kick you out if she finds out you killed someone. If she does so in person, she'll even note the irony of getting kicked out of an Occult Club for being too spooky.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: Always has these.
- Expy: Word of God describes her as a mixture of Tharja from Fire Emblem Awakening, Hex Maniac from Pokémon X and Y, and Tomoko from Watamote.
- Goth: Word of God says he was inspired to make her when someone suggested a goth girl rival. She definitely counts in appearance and tastes.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Oka's dialogue makes it clear that she's very lonely and insecure, and she's surprised and elated if Yan-chan joins her club.
"…y-you…actually…want to join?" [yes] "…this is wonderful news… perhaps the world isn't such a dark and lonely place after all…"
- This carries over to if Yan-chan decides to leave the club. Oka's obviously devastated by it.
"y-you're not…going to leave us…are you?" [yes] "…well…that's to be expected… I mean, who would want to be in this club anyway…"
- Mechanic aside, her dialogue if Yan-chan tries to rejoin suggests that Oka isn't getting over it anytime soon.
"...um... you already left this club once before... I... don't want to let you back in... you might just leave again... and it hurts when people leave... I don't want to be hurt again..."
- This carries over to if Yan-chan decides to leave the club. Oka's obviously devastated by it.
- The Insomniac: YandereDev confirmed that the shadows around her eyes are from her staying up late researching paranormal things.
- I Reject Your Reality: Oka dismisses any evidence that the Basu sisters aren't supernatural. The fact that Inkyu can survive in sunlight leads her to rationalize that Inkyu's a special kind of vampire.
- Irony: This girl is a walking, talking ball of it.
- She rambles about Aura Vision to someone who actually has it (that'd be Yan-chan).
- Upon inquiry, Oka says the Occult Club's goal is to "develop a resistance to horrific and terrifying things... or succumb to them", and its activity consists of trying to summon a demon.
- She's obsessed with and stalks the Basu sisters, convinced that they are supernatural beings, but has no idea that a real supernatural being (or three) inhabits the club room where she would otherwise spend all of her time.
- If Yan-chan leaves the Occult Club of her own accord, Oka will grimly muse aloud about why anyone would ever want to join her club anyway… in front of her five club-mates.
- If Oka herself witnesses Ayano murder someone, she'll either refuse membership or kick Yan-chan out, saying Yan-chan's aura is too dark and will attract evil spirits. Once again, the club's activity is attempting to summon a demon.
- If Yan-chan is in the Occult Club and one of the other members sees her commit murder, Oka will kick her out on the basis that Yan-chan is too scary. Oka herself lampshades the situation.
"um… I'm sorry… you can't be a member of this club anymore… you're too scary… huh, that's ironic… being kicked out of a club about scary things… for being too scary…"
- Loners Are Freaks: Is described by the dev as an outcast. She's also pretty freaky. Note however that, as an NPC, she does not have the game's "Loner" personality type, but rather the "Coward" one.
- Messy Hair: She essentially has perpetual bed hair.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Comes with the territory of being the President of the Occult Club. She also spends most of her evenings watching horror movies, reading Creepypasta, and researching paranormal things. Student Info even tells us she doesn't appear to have much interest in anything else.
- One-Winged Angel: In the Yanderetale minigame, she gains The Horror's Not!Vectors.
- Opposites Attract: She, a self-proclaimed seeker of the supernatural, is attracted to the milquetoast Senpai.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her first hairstyle was like this, as part of her unsettling appearance.
- Permanently Missable Content: In the debug builds, killing or kidnapping her results in her club being shut down. May or may not be the case if you take her out during her Rival week.
- Punny Name: "Oka Ruto" sounds like an Engrish pronunciation of "occult".
- Shout-Out: Does one in-game. Her description of the Occult Club contains this little gem:
"…witches, ghosts, vampires, demons, aliens, psychics, and time travelers are all welcome here."
- Shrinking Violet: She walks with her head down and with a slouch, similar to how Yan-chan acts when Senpai is around. Oka, however, always walks like this. Her quiet voice only drives in the point further.
- Speech Impediment: Prior to her having voiced dialogue, the developer typed out a sample line from her that suggested she had a stutter. In the game itself, she does not speak with a stutter, but her speech is very halting and deliberate, like how someone who subconsciously compensates for a stutter would talk.
- Stalker Without a Crush: She stalks the Basu sisters in an attempt to prove their supernatural nature.
- Symbol Motif Clothing: She has dark purple gloves and stockings absolutely covered in a spider web design. It fits with such a spooky girl. Based off this picture that has been released it will probably be part of her final design.
- Unkempt Beauty: One old picture◊ of her depicts her quite nicely, and she's still pretty good looking despite her messy hair.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Oka's dialogue in the Rival Intro Video suggest she is not actually aware that her feelings for Senpai are "romantic love", so she thinks Senpai put a hex on her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is a greyish shade of very dark blue.
"Nobody in the sports club ever turns down a challenge! Come on, let's get started right away! Senpai… would you like to go on a run together? Y'know, just the two of us?"
- Action Girl: She is the president of the Sports Team, so she must be.
- Action Girlfriend: Will be this with Senpai if you don't stop it.
- Ambiguously Brown: She is quite tan in concept art, although her in-game model has lighter skin.
- The Big Guy: Is the most active of the rivals.
- Boyish Short Hair: As a president of the Sports Club, this is practical.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: She is one.
- Genki Girl: Her character profile describes her as "perpetually cheerful and energetic".
- Lovable Jock: Is your rival, but seems alright.
- Modesty Shorts: She wears black and yellow shorts under her skirt.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Must be to get on the Sports Team, let alone be captain of it.
- Punny Name: Like Oka's name seen above, Asu Rito's name is Engrish for "Athlete".
- Tomboy: We're assuming this because she's so sporty. Also that hair.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The president of the Cooking Club is the Girly Girl to her Tomboy.
"Oh, my! Your face is turning red! Do you have a fever? Come see me anytime. I'm always happy to take care of you~."a little blind to certain implications.
- Buxom Is Better: Is quite gifted in a certain area.
- Combat Medic: She will have a "Heroic" persona, meaning that she will respond to murder by attempting to disarm Yan-chan. Just how strong she is hasn't been revealed yet, but since the teachers are no pushovers, she likely won't be either.
- Crazy-Prepared: In the game, she moves around certain items so that the player won't know where to get them. Why would she do that? The only reason must be that she's Crazy-Prepared and guessed that a Yandere was at school.
- Curtains Match the Window: Pink hair and pink eyes.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She's even spilling ethyl alcohol in her character art, and in the Rival introduction video, the in-game visual it freezes on is of her tripping while carrying a tray of syringes.
- The Ditz: She's described as rather less than intelligent.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She's in the debug builds, albeit as a model without any programming. Her status as an official rival is confirmed by her red aura.
- Ephebophile: On a technicality. She does show interest in a high school senior. However, unlike Mida, she does not have a history of doing this. Also, she doesn't appear to be more than about five years older than Senpai. Also-also, it's been implied by Word of God that Senpai may come on to her due to having a nurse fetish.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: Word of God says Senpai will become ill at the start of her week, and will visit the nurse's office once a day. Combined with Senpai's thing for nurses, this only illustrates why you need to eliminate her.
- Foil: To the substitute teacher, whose schtick is intentional innuendo, unlike Muja's own tendency to make Innocent Innuendo.
- Hartman Hips: Isnote also quite gifted in another certain area. Further emphasized by the fact that she doesn't appear to wear any sort of skirt or pants.
- Hospital Hottie: She's a nurse and she doesn't look so bad.
- Impossible Hourglass Figure: Even in the context of this game, she has one.
- Innocent Innuendo: Word of God says that her schtick is "unintentional innuendo".
- May–December Romance: Will get one with Senpai, though she's so innocent that she might not actively search for it.
- Meaningful Name: Her name, Muja Kina, is derived from mujaki na, which is Japanese for "innocent".
- Punny Name: See Meaningful Name above.
- Put on a Bus: Being a substitute nurse, she will leave the school when her week is over, regardless of how she is eliminated.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She's so innocent that she's unaware of how things can sound to teenage boys. Naturally, she has bright pink hair.
- School Nurse: It's in her description!
"I can teach all sorts of things. Would you like me to be your… private tutor?"
Voiced by: Marissa LentiThe horny Substitute Teacher.
- All Women Are Lustful: Lusts after Senpai.
- Asshole Victim: If you decide to kill her. She regularly seduces her own students (who may or may not be of legal age) for sport. However pleasant she may appear to be, she's still in gross violation of occupational ethics at best and a sex offender at worst.
- In fact in the same subreddit poll mentioned above under Oka Ruto, when ever the commenter wasn't going for a multi kill or full Kill Them All scenario, in which case she is usually included as a victim, she is the rival most commonly singled out as being the one rival they would specifically kill off, even in a mostly pacifist run, and she is rarely ever spared, so apparently even the fanbase agrees that, in this case, it would be good thing to Kick the Son of a Bitch.
- Badass Teacher: Like the other teachers, she will have extensive self-defense training, so she'll be just as capable.
- Buxom Is Better: She has a large amount of cleavage to emphasize this. The Dev has stated she has the largest breasts of any of the rivals (and possibly in the entire game).
- Determinator: It's said that once she has her sights on a boy, she will not let up. Of course, she's yet to meet Ayano-chan.
- Ephebophile: The thing she enjoys most about her job is that it gives her access to teenage boys she can seduce.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Maybe not "evil", per se, but she is doing an illegal activity by seducing students (which is still a crime even if they are of consenting age due to her being in a position of power). That said, she will be horrified by murder just like the other rivals.
- Foil: To the substitute nurse, a faculty member whose shtick is Innocent Innuendo, while Mida's innuendo is completely intentional.
- Hartman Hips: Like Muja, and unlike her, she's fine with using them to her advantage.
- Hot Teacher: She's sexy, and she certainly knows it.
- May–December Romance: Clearly wants one with Senpai, and is said to have had some similar relationships with previous students.
- Mrs. Robinson: An adult woman who's a serial seducer of teenage boys.
- Ms. Fanservice: As part of her lewd nature, she has a more overtly sexual design.
- Proud Beauty: She's well-aware of the effect she has on teenage boys, and enjoys the attention.
- Punny Name: Her name is a play on midara na, which means "lewd".
- Put on a Bus: Like the School Nurse, she will leave the school at the end of her week. She's a substitute teacher, after all.
- Really Gets Around: Seducing schoolboys is her hobby.
- Sexophone: Her leitmotif, heard during the "Rival Introduction" video.
- Shadow Archetype: To Genka. Both are school faculty members who dress in dark clothing, have shapely figures, show a lot of cleavage, and play an adversarial role to Yan-chan. They also happen to share a voice actress. However, while the counselor is consistently professional in her dealings with students, this woman has numerous sexual conquests among the teenage boys she's taught, and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: YandereDev has confirmed that her reaction to Ayano taking a upskirt shot of her would actually be to become flattered. She'd also still turn you in to Genka if you're caught taking panty shots of other students, but only for your lack of subtlety than you doing it at all.
- The Smart Girl: She is a teacher.
- Teacher/Student Romance: What's she's hoping for. Will happen if you don't step in.
- Possibly if you do, as well. If matchmaking with her works the same as with all the other rivals, you'll be able to set her up with a different student than Senpai.
"Girls like you really get on my nerves. Get lost! ...That boy... he's the only one who..."
Voiced by: Alexis SilveraThe leader of Akademi's gang of delinquents, she is the strongest character in the game. She spends the first several weeks of the game suspended from school due to some very serious infraction. Beyond that, little is known, due in part to everyone else being terrified of her.
- Amazonian Beauty: Some official artwork portrays her in a flattering light.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: She's the delinquents' boss, and YanDev has stated that she'll be the most difficult rival to (physically) take down.
- Badass Armfold: Her official character art features her standing with her arms crossed.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Considering it's been stated that her love for Senpai will bloom from a friendship, as well as her saying Senpai was "the only one who..." before being cut off in the rival video, it's implied this is why she falls for him.
- Coat Cape: She wears a coat this way, which is fitting for a delinquent girl.
- Contralto of Danger: Her voice is one of the deepest in the game. As for the "danger" part, she's said to be tougher than Budo.
- Cool Big Sis: She is this to the other delinquents. The Dev has said they idolize her absolutely and form their core identities around her. Their self-worth comes from her approval.
- Covered with Scars: A promo image shows her with scars on her back and arms, most probably from fighting. Her in-game model shows she has a large cross-shaped scar on her face.
- Dark Action Girl: She's the leader of a group of delinquents, the toughest student in the school, and was suspended for unknown but serious reasons.
- Delinquent Hair: Her hair is bleached blonde and poorly maintained.
- Difficulty Spike: Osoro is described as the "strongest student in the school", which will increase the difficulty of eliminating her through violent means given how skilled at self-defense Osoro is.
- The Dreaded: Most of the school avoids her out of fear due to her history of violent behavior.
- Hidden Depths: Almost certainly. All of the Rivals are, for the most part, nice girls, if very different girls, so it makes sense why they'd like a Nice Guy like Senpai. (Except for Mida Rana, who's just a perv.) Osoro, however, is a hotheaded delinquent with a violent history... but she likes him, too.
- Japanese Delinquents: The core premise of her characterization, really.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The Dev has made it a point to mention that while she's a delinquent, she's not evil; and that if she catches Yan-chan in the act of murder, she will attack her, just like anyone with a "hero" persona. Further, she will form a bond with Senpai, and the fact that she's attracted to such a Nice Guy at all means something. Not to mention, Senpai won't ever accept you if he catches you doing something evil, or if you have an exceedingly low reputation... but he will accept Osoro if you don't intervene. There must be some good in her.
- Meaningful Name: Her name comes from osoroshii, meaning "terrible", in reference to her fearsome delinquent reputation. "Desu", the other part of her name, suggests her Hidden Depths. Here's Why
- Modesty Shorts: She wears black shorts under her skirt.
- Noble Demon: Considering how she is the leader of the delinquents who are students who bully those weaker than themselves and she has been suspended multiple times. When she goes against Yan-chan, she will become one of the most difficult rivals however YandereDev has stated that she isn't as bad as she appears.
- Odd Friendship: She's the type of person that Senpai normally avoids, but will strike up a friendship with him when she becomes the rival.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: She's a tough Dark Action Girl who is interested in dating an introverted Nice Guy.
- Sarashi: A piece of concept art (that did not show her face) reveals this is how she ties her boobs down.
- Skirt over Slacks: She wears dark blue pants under her skirt.
- We Cannot Go on Without You: If she dies, her underlings will give up their delinquent ways.
- World's Strongest Woman: Is the strongest student in the school, even stronger than the Martial Arts Club president, Budo Masuta.
"Welcome home, big brother! How was your day? Tell me all about it! If you got a girlfriend...would you forget about me? That won't happen, will it?!"
- Ambiguously Bi: Averted. Considering she's The Not-Love Interest, and her matchmaker interest is probably male, she could be straight as an arrow even with a female senpai.
- Big Brother Worship: She absolutely adores her big bro. It's to the point where her screenshot in the rival video is her snuggling to him.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Averted. She is not incestous for her brother, but is clingy enough for Yan-chan to consider a rival.
- Cheerful Child: YandereDev has described her as an "happy anime girl", implying that she's going to be this. In one picture, she's making a similar pose to the Social Butterfly persona.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Non-romantic version. She doesn't like her brother romantically, she just wants him all to herself.
- The Cutie: Most likely the youngest and cutest of them all.
- Girlish Pigtails: The Dev has released an image of her that gives her shoulder-length pigtails, with a heart-shaped hairpin for her bangs.
- Girly Girl: The developer tells us that she's girly and cute.
- Infant Immortality: Averted (since she's a rival), in as much as one can call a high school freshman a "child".
- The Ingenue: Originally planned to be this, but developed into a bit more of a brat.
- Little Sister Heroine: Her presence in the game is a clear reference to this trope's prevalence in romance anime and dating sims. However, she's just clingy, not incestuous.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Variant. Senpai has a hidden Sanity stat that can take a hit if rivals are killed off in similar ways. The death of his little sister takes a much larger chunk out of Senpai's sanity.
- My Brother is Off-Limits!: According to YandereDev here, Osana is the only aversion to this that Hanako will allow. Since they're childhood friends, Osana is the one person Hanako is willing to "give" her brother to.
- New Transfer Student: She's so clingy that she transferred to Akademi because she couldn't bear being away from her big brother for so long.
- The Not-Love Interest: She's not interested in actual incest, but she does want to be Senpai's number one girl anyway.
- Tag Along Kid: She might just be the youngest of the rivals.
- Token Mini-Moe: She's Senpai's little sister after all. Downplayed because she's only two years younger than him.
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment: You can kill Hanako just like all the other rivals, but Dev has made it abundantly clear that if you do that, it will result in a big hit to Senpai's sanity.
- "My top priority is to put a stop to anyone who poses a threat to this school! Senpai, I think someone may be stalking you. But don't worry, I'll keep you safe."
Voiced by: Amanda LeeThe absolutely perfect Student Council President, who is also the sole heir to the Saikou Corporationnote . She's in the game's debug builds, albeit only seen on a laptop in the Student Council room. She seems to have a vendetta against someone who may or may not be Yan-chan.
- The Ace: She's close to perfect. Of course, she could also be a Broken Ace the more we see of her; each rival has a Dark Secret, and she seems to be more in the loop than other rivals. That said, quoth the character page: "Weakness: None". Fuck with her at your own peril.
- Alpha Bitch: The bitch part is debatable. YandereDev describes her less as a corrupt leader and more of a strict disciplinarian.
- Ambiguously Evil: Her venomous speech certainly sounds sinister, but considering the lack of context, it's not clear who she's talking to or how malevolent she is. Combine this with YandereDev describing her as "strict" (an adjective usually used to describe a number of morally upstanding characters), and it's not clear whether she deserves to be labelled as a villain. However, this ambiguity will probably be cleared up in the finished game.
- Declaration of Protection: Towards Senpai.
- Expy: She looks a lot like Satsuki Kiryuin with a slightly messier and pale hairstyle, and has the same kind of authoritarian personality, based off what we've seen so far and Word of God.
- The Face: As student body president, she serves as this for Akademi. She must have been charismatic to get there.
- Face Framed in Shadow: When she speaks to Yan-chan through the laptop, her eyes are obscured by shadow.
- Following the redesign that gave her model silver hair, she is now entirely framed in shadow.
- Fiction 500: Being heiress to the largest business conglomerate in Japan, she has enormous amounts of money.
- Final Boss: She is the tenth-and-final rival Yan-chan must face. Fun Fact
- Final Solution: Unlike her father, she says she has no tolerance for "vulgar creatures" and, if it were her decision, then "every last one of you would be exterminated." Who or what she's referring to isn't exactly clear.
- Hero Antagonist: More than any other rival. It's heavily implied that she knows that Yan-chan is a Stalker with a Crush who is Yandere for Senpai, and will do anything to stop her.
- Hidden Depths:
- While ostensibly a Mary Sue or a parody of one, her speech implies that she has a surprising amount of awareness about Yan-chan's true nature, and she herself exhibits unexpectedly dark traits.
- She's noticeably upset about having to attend school via web chat, and resents her initial circumstances that prevent her from being a normal student.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: She's physically absent for the first nine weeks of the game and attends via laptop, but she'd much rather attend school as a normal student.
- Iron Lady: Authoritarian and strict, and with ruthless tendencies. Highlighting this, on the official website's character page, whereas most of the rivals have two character portraits, 'normal' and 'blushing', Megami is unique in having 'normal' and 'gentle'… and even her 'gentle' portrait still comes across as serious and stern.
- Knight of Cerebus: Compared to practically every other character introduced to the game, she and everything known about her is portrayed completely seriously. No comedy, levity, or over-the-top exaggeration of anime clichés surround her character at all. The only remotely humorous thing about her is an Undertale Shout-Out in one of her lines and some intentional Sueishness, and even then, she still speaks some surprisingly threatening words in a grim tone. She seems to know exactly what's going on around her and is not going to take it sitting down.
- Meaningful Name: Megami means "goddess", while Saikou could be derived from "saikō", meaning something along the lines of "the best/the highest", or from saiko, meaning "talented". Both names are quite befitting of someone stated to be absolutely perfect.
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: As detailed under Final Solution, she has no tolerance for "vulgar creatures" and, if it were her decision, then "every last one of you would be exterminated."
- The Not-Love Interest: Possibly, considering a Declaration of Protection can be completely platonic, and the pose she does when declaring it isn't referred to as a blush pose (as opposed to every other rival, even Senpai's own sister, having a blush pose). Regardless of whether or not she truly loves Senpai, she is still a threat once you take into account the various implications that she knows Ayano's true nature and will do anything to stop her.
- Parody Sue: The Dev himself once described her as a Mary Sue. Her profile on the official site describes her as the most popular, the most beautiful, the smartest, and the most talented. She's the heiress of a massive corporation that she will one day inherit, and is the Student Council President. All this, on top of her also being somehow in the know about Yan-chan's true nature and the secrets of Akademi High.
- Rich Bitch: She's the heiress to the powerful Saikou Corporation, and is impossibly wealthy.
- The Smart Guy: Considering she's president of the entire Student Council, she must be. You must have good grades to become what's basically the face of the school.
- Spoiled Sweet: The fact that she's an Ambiguously Evil Nazi By Any Other Name aside, she seems genuine when she said she'll protect Senpai.
- Student Council President: She is one, though you can join the council to enact a plot against her.
- Tranquil Fury: Her laptop speech is absolutely full of quiet, visceral disgust towards the subject of it.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She knows Senpai has a stalker, and that there's someone dangerous at Akademi. She will do anything in her power to protect the school. This includes installing security cameras, hiring security guards, and instituting a zero-tolerance policy.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has pale blue-silver hair, though concept art of her with black hair exists.