open/close all folders
Tropes that fit them allMukokuseki: There's a lot of japanese naming, but except for Natsuki, who looks like an stereotypical asian character, most of them look Caucasian, European, or Latino.
KaimanThe main protagonist. He's lost his memories and got a Caiman Lizard head. He seeks to regain both his face and memories by hunting down Magic-Users, whom he believes to be responsible for his state. His M.O.? Find em and stick their heads in his mouth, where they meet a strange man later revealed to be a duplicate of Risu who, so far, has said nothing but,"You're not the one." Yes, this man is living inside his mouth. Then he pulls em out, and when they tell him that they are not the one, he kills them. Horribly.
- Amnesiac Hero
- Anti-Hero: Type III, though he's rather nice with those he considers his friends. It's mostly because he lives in a Crapsack World.
- Anti-Magic: He's immune to Magic, which makes him very dangerous to the Magic-Users, who often are too reliant on their powers. Unfortunately, this only makes him immune from being transformed or affected directly by smoke. Magical items can still hurt him, as seen when he fights En.
- Big Eater: So much so that Nikaido is in debt because he does not pay his tab.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Does a miniature dance of joy at being allowed to fight Shin and Noi.
- Heroic Build: The guy looks like he came from the first few sagas of Jojos Bizarre Adventure.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: He hunts down Magic-Users in order to regain a human head and live a life as normal as Hole permits him.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Being rather lazy and sometimes violent aside, he's a pretty nice guy. It helps that he usually targets Magic Users and jerks.
- Knife Nut
- Laser-Guided Amnesia
- Lizard Folk
- Mage Killer
- Put on a Bus: Sort of. He's actually Kai.
- The Bus Came Back: Finally reappears at the end of Chapter 117. However, whether or not its actually him is still in question.
- Progressively Prettier: As you can see in the image, he looks positively more reptilian at the beginning.
- Red Baron: Called the Magician Killer
- Spell My Name with an "S": Rendered "Caiman" by the Viz Media translation.
- Split Personality: He's shown to be Ai/Kai/Aikawa. He also has at least 9 heads, possibly one for each personality.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: as a normal guy
- Subverted however, as Devil!Nikaido puts it:"you're average, not handsome, nor ugly"
- Trademark Favorite Food: Nikaido's gyozas.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He is afraid of ghosts. But okay with zombies. Apparently zombies are just hungry. Which somehow makes them better.
Aikawa/Ai ColemanAikawa is what Kaiman was before he was caught on Ebisu's smoke. He looks similar to Guts, but more civilized. Was Risu's best friend, but things got complicated because of his powers, ending up killing him. Later, Risu comes for revenge
- Anti-Hero: Moreso than Kaiman
- Cool Mask: Has a pretty badass looking gas mask.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Well, he's a cooler guy in that sense, than Kai at least...
- Death Seeker: Implied, and outright confirmed when he was Driven to Suicide, however, he Cannot Self Terminate due his other personalities.
- Emo Teen
- He's Back
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: he stole food, was lazy, and wanted to be a magician so he'd be no longer a pariah... too bad he has a lot of hatred inside him, which created Kai, with the help of demonic energy from Hole.
- Literal Split Personality
- Nice Hat: as a teen it was a baseball cap, as an adult it's a more hermetic cap with a gas mask.
- Older Than They Look: He's actually 30 years old.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Except Not, at least, by Nikaido standards
- Teens Are Short: Averted! He's actually quite tall as a teen, which is actually realistic.
NikaidoKaiman's friend. She follows him into his quest of regaining his memories and human face. She runs the Hungry Bug restaurant and makes the best gyozas of the city. She's a Magic-User who came to Hole and vowed to never use her Magic again. She has the ability to manipulate time, and gets hunted down by En because of it.
- Action Girl: Strong enough to fight Noi.
- Dark Action Girl later in the manga
- Anti-Hero: Nice gal all around, yet it's wisely recommended to don't get on her bad side. Or hurt her friends.
- Badass Normal: Survives a few blows from the Devil-trained Noi, which would turn pretty much anyone else into a thick, red paste. Noi is very surprised by this.
- Empowered Badass Normal Except she's a Magic user.
- Little Miss Badass: As a child, she could defeat adults in hand-to-hand combat.
- Took a Level in Badass: After training under Kawajiri.
- Brainwashed: When En hunts her down and makes her his partner.
- However, she can resist the contract (albeit with severe drawbacks) and eventually gets better after En dies.
- Chef of Iron: She makes the best gyozas of Hole (according to Kaiman anyways), and can karate-chop off your head.
- Cute Bruiser
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her life was not that bad, seeing as she had friends and a family of sorts. The dark and troubling part about it is that she erased it with her Time Travel powers.
- Genki Girl: When she gets an influx of devil energy she becomes extremely energetic.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Zig Zagged while there's nobody truely good in the manga, she's one of the most kind and caring persons in the setting. Despite that, in our standards, she, along pretty much everyone, is a serial killer.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her Devil-outfit doesn't even cover her ass.
- Orgasmically Delicious: The gyozas she made one time when she was in a devil-induced manic state.
- Our Demons Are Different: She's becoming a devil accidentally (unfortunately those parts were skipped by the translators, but it seems to be Asu helping her to control her powers), mainly because unlike most magic-users she's used to not using her powers.
Dr. Kasukabe/HazeA scientist and Hole resident who studies magic users. He was married to magic user who later became a Devil.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Fluffy Tamer: Decided a giant, man-eating cockroach would be a handy pet. The two have been inseparable ever since.
- For Science!
- Gone Horribly Right he made a surgery to Ai to see if he could be able to use magic, a few days later Ai was found dead, except he wasn't,.... he.... succeeded... Very well
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Whenever he interacts with Shin. The two of them are downright friendly and even end up helping each other.
- Happily Married: Sort of. He hadn't seen her for years prior to the story, though they are still very fond of each other.
- Haunted House: Lives in one due to magic users' smoke filling the place.
- Mad Scientist: He has a lab filled with the corpses of magic users and a door that he made out of magic user body parts. He also operated on Shin to help him use magic. For no apparent reason. See For Science! above.
- Oh God Why the surgery I gave Ai worked so well?
- Older Than They Look: He's actually in his sixties but looks like a teenager. His explanation is that he was a test subject for a magic user.
- Only Known by His Nickname: His real name is Haze, though it seems only Haru knows this. In addition "Kasukabe" is actually his wife's real name.
- Teens Are Short: Yup.
- Tattooed Crook: it's a wonder he's able to work with those tattoos.
A doctor that works in an hospital in hole which helps those affected by Magic Users.
- Bald of Awesome
- The Eeyore: More or less, but the guy looks like he's either bored or moody most of the time.
- Facial Markings: Looking like as a termometer.
- Smoking Is Cool
JonsonA cockroach changed by the residual magic in the Hole to become human-sized. Wears sneakers and proclaims, "Shocking!"
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: A seven-foot-tall roach wearing tennis shoes and who can say "Shocking!"
- Creepy Cockroach: At first, definitely.
- Cyclops: It's not entirely clear whether the upper half of his head is one giant eye or whether it's actually a shiny, black Eyeless Face.
- Extreme Omnivore: Eats baked goods, sentient fungi, and human flesh with equal enthusiasm.
- Friend to Bugs: An ordinary cockroach helps Jonson out of a bind, and the two dance briefly in celebration.
- Logical Weakness: Jonson can't stand bug spray.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Jonson or Johnson?
- Team Pet: Kasukabe has him trained.
ThirteenA Hole resident who eats at Nikaido's restaurant and plays baseball.
Magic-Users' World Residents
TanbaOwner of a restaurant in the Magic Users' World.
- Anti-Magic - Limited example - he go so used to Asuka's love-powers he's immune to them.
- Badass Beard
- Benevolent Boss
- Chef of Iron
- Expressive Mask - it's basically his face, just "furrier".
- Heroic Build: Except it's more of a traditional japanese way. Which means...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family - He's got a mouth like a piranha.
- Spiky Hair
YamasudaWorker at Tanba's Meatbags.
- Bishōnen: he's actually pretty good looking.
- Nice Guy
- Screw The Money We Have To Get Outta Here He wanted to get the hell out and escape as every other magic user when Kai appeared. Tanba wanted to make money off the refugees.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: he can create... pies.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power which ended up saving his ass against Kai
KirionOther worker at Tanba's Meatbags. Badass Normal that helps Tanba with his food, wears a bear suit.
- Anti-Magic: She's unaffected by Aikawa/Kai's paralyzing "force field" and the debilitating rain.
- That's because she's confirmed in chapter 138 that she's a full blooded human.
- Glasses Girl
- Samus Is a Girl
- The Voiceless
AsukaEx-worker at Tanba's Meatbags turned rival. Her magic charms men making them fall in love with the food and her.
- Bat out of Hell: Her mask is a whole skinned bat.
- Brainwashed / Love Potion: Her powers summon a demon who can influence men.
- Cheaters Never Prosper: And if En finds out he was enchanted he's gonna kill her.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Even Evilhas Standards: In the end... she makes ammends with Tanba and the others
- My God, What Have I Done? she regrets everything she did to Tamba, according to Word of God
- A Pupil of Mine Until He Turned to Evil: After Tanba found out that she had unconsensual sex with him while charmed a lot of times, he was visible shaken, but he was kind enough of not killing her due to her talent... this backfired.
- You Dirty Rat: Her clothes are decorated with dead rats.
EnA Magic User and gang leader of a sort. His "Family" engages in various enterprises, obviously quite successful as he lives in what amounts to a small town. He has great influence in the Magic Users' world and has connections to Devils. If the origin story in his movie is to be believed, his magic was strong enough as a child to turn both of his parents into mushrooms. Afterwards, he was abducted by weak Magic Users who held him prisoner and sold his smoke on the black market. Eventually, he was discarded and ended up in hell, where he apparently impressed the Devils enough to escape. He returned to the place where he had been imprisoned and freed the others, starting his "Family." Somewhere along the line he sent his men to fight the Cross-Eyes, and many of them died. After that, En decided that his destiny was to take down the boss of the Cross-Eyes.
- Anti-Villain (Type I): Orders to kill his enemies around the town and threatens to turn his subordinates in mushrooms if they double-cross him. In the other hand, he does care for his subordinates and despises injustice despite the whole Yakuza-like behavior.
- Benevolent Boss: He's quite nice to his subordinates. Can overlap with A Father to His Men.
- Breath Weapon: Like his cousin, he prefers exuding smoke with his mouth instead of through his fingertips.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Has an obsession with mushrooms: it's the only thing he eats and he's filled his mansion with the stuff. Doesn't change the fact that he's the strongest magic-user in the series.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivers one to Kaiman.
- He, in turn, gets a fatal one from Kai.
- Cut Lex Luthor a Check: Runs a number of mushroom-related franchises alongside his more shady dealings.
- Evil Redhead: More or less Evil (it's a mafia don, after all) but you can't deny that he's a redhead.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: His smoke grows mushrooms of various sizes and transforms basically anything into mushrooms.
- Even better, he can then use these mushrooms to fight, with devastating results.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Serves the mushrooms he makes out of people in his restaurant, much to Shin and Noi's disgust.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Killed Off for Real: Though he makes an appearance in Hell.
- Large Ham: He makes a movie about himself, with an overly dramatic origin story and description of the Cross-Eyes' boss as his fated enemy. And in a visual example, his estate has statues of himself everywhere.
- Man of Wealth and Taste
- Mask Power
- Person of Mass Destruction: Well, technically he doesn't destroy things so much as turn them into mushrooms. Entire towns, if you push him too far.
- Renaissance Man: He's an actor, singer and successful business man, also, he's a fan of fine art.
- Spiky Hair: Believe it or not, he appeared a couple of times with his hair down, either in the barber, or just while sleeping. He looks pretty good.
- Villainous Widow's Peak
ShinA Magic-User who works for En as a "Cleaner." He wears a heart-shaped mask. Underneath, he has an ordinary appearance. He likes to eat and engages in casual conversation with Noi. On the job, he becomes bloodthirsty and ruthless, ripping apart anyone in his way. His magic involves vivisecting people, who remain alive no matter how much he tears them up. He comes from the Hole, where, due to being half-Magic User, he was attacked by the militia from the Hole. After cutting off his arms in an effort to use magic, he gets Dr. Kasukabe to help him. He uses his newfound power to massacre the militia and heads to the Magic Users' world. There he meets and fights Noi, and gets a job working for En.
- And Then Shin Was A Zombie And Later A Pile Of Mushrooms: Got zombified by Kai, or whatever Kai has become, then mushroomed by En.
- He's Back: He's resurrected by En in the latest chapter, no longer a zombie.
- Ax-Crazy: Only when he fights. he's otherwise a rather reasonable person.
- Anti-Villain: Mostly Type IV.
- Back from the Dead: He's going to be rescued from zombification/mushroomification, assuming En forgives him.
- Badass: without a doubt.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: he's most of the time dressed with his black suit.
- Brought Down to Badass: Stopped Shin from using his smoke? Well, don't worry, he'll just murder you the old fashioned way.
- Barbarian Long Hair: Even if he was a Bishōnen as a teenager, and had his hair tied, he was still a force to reckon with.
- The Berserker: Without a doubt. The guy is a maniac.
- Best Served Cold: The motto of his biological family.
- Blond Guys are Anti-Villains
- Blood Knight: Gets an expression of crazed excitement when En tells him that Kaiman will try and kill him.
- Body Horror: His victims, who usually end up as a head and a few assorted organs while still alive.
- Covered in Scars: His hands are a dead giveaway
- Determinator: If he's angry enough, nothing will stop him.
- Drop the Hammer: He favors fighting with a hammer rather than Magic.
- Forehead of Doom: Which each passing chapter his forehead became bigger. He's not going to be bald anytime soon, but it's noticeable.
- Freudian Excuse: He was hunted down by the Hole militia for being a half-magic user.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half-human, half-magic user.
- Hybrid Power: He's immune to the black rain.
- Hard Head: His head is very hard, evidently when he's stabbed in Volume 8.
- Heroic Build: YES
- Hunk as an adult.
- Killed Off for Real: so far...
- Let's Get Dangerous: When he puts his mask backwards, start to pray, better yet, don't.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: When he was a teenager.
- Mask Power: Has the shape of a heart.
- Megane: He's able to see without using them too
- Older Than They Look: can you believe he's 28?
- Punch Clock Villain: It's just his job to 'clean' some people.
- Secret Identity: Not him but his dog, who is actually a devil.
- Sempai/Kohai: He's Noi's Sempai, though she has been with En longer. Probably because he's been En's cleaner longer than Noi.
- Ship Tease: Not so much on Shin's side, but he's incredibly modest about Noi, becoming embarrassed whenever he sees her under-dressed, and usually responding with a red face when she does her own side of the Ship Tease. Almost done when he implants the charms that could bring someone back from fatal wounds, but he pulls back the last minute.
- Start of Darkness: When he was a teenager, his parents were murdered in different ocasions, due racism against magic users and those with ties with them.
- Sympathetic Murderer
- Those Two Bad Guys: Him and Noi, as much as you can call them "bad".
- Tsundere: Definitely. He's shown blushing with Noi, but it's pretty obvious she loves her, also he doesn't like to being told nice things.
- Used to Be a Sweet Child: Really, a normal teenager.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: When surprised. It's a common expression.
- You Killed My Father: The Anti Magicians Millitia killed both of his parents.
NoiEn's cousin and Cleaner, Noi works alongside her partner Shin, wearing a sort of wrestler's mask. Shown to be albino in colored pictures, Noi is almost always friendly and laughing. However, she can't take people being stronger than her, and she worries a lot about her partner. Her magic is a Healing Factor, allowing her to rebuild anyone from almost anything unless they're dead. When she was younger, she was trying to become a devil, and had gone with Shin to face an incredibly tough opponent three days before the Blue Night came. The final phrase of becoming a devil involves not using your magic until the Blue Night; unfortunately, moments before the hit had ended, Shin was fatally wounded, having jumped in to save Noi from a killing blow. Noi ruined her contract to heal Shin, but she never held a grudge against it - when that Blue Night came, they signed a contract to become partners and have been that way ever since.
- Action Girl
- Amazonian Beauty
- Anti-Villain: Type IV, even moreso than Shin.
- Barbarian Long Hair: A rare female example.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Boobs of Steel: As far as raw physical strength goes, she's stronger than Nikaido
- Combat Medic
- Combat Stilettos: Averted, she always wears sensible tennis shoes and the one time she wore heels she could barely walk.
- Evil Albino: Played with, if she wasn't En's hitman, she's a pretty nice person.
- Friendly Enemy: When she meets Nikaido, she is pretty impressed by Nikaido's strength, and declares that the two of them should be friends. Later, when Kasukabe, Shin's close friend, starts to stay with them with several other Hole residents, Noi gets along with them just as well as Shin does.
- Genki Girl: Borders on being really creepy because she stays this way while killing people.
- Just look at this page◊. She's ripped off someone's arm, the blood is spraying on her face, and her victim is going into shock with his friends too horrified to do anything. And she's laughing!
- Healing Factor / The Medic: Cut up? Rotting? Have large chunks of flesh missing? Zombified? She can help. Getting up after a fatal headshot is a matter of seconds for her.
- Hidden Buxom: in her work clothes.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Back in the day.
- Mask Power
- One Head Taller: With Shin... she's the tall one.
- Our Demons Are Different: Almost became a devil but used her powers to save Shin practically in the last minute of her magic power abstinence. She absolutely does not regret it.
- Punch Clock Villain: Though, unlike Shin, her personality doesn't change to go with.
- Punny Name: Noi = No.1
- Samus Is a Girl: It's usually assumed Noi is male, since most people only see her in her work clothes.
- Sempai/Kohai: Kohai to Shin.
- Ship Tease: With Shin, to an unbelievable amount. On at least two occasions, Noi has kissed Shin to fully heal him even though just hovering over his open mouth would've work just as well, she's teased him onscreen once by sleeping on his bed (which lead to a regular member thinking he was interrupting something, and from how Noi worries about Shin, even in an omake becoming worried that he wanted to return to the Hole, it would feel like they're in a relationship or already married. Not helped by them sharing an apartment (though not rooms), and even Shin returning some feelings too.
- She Cleans Up Nicely
- Statuesque Stunner
- Those Two Bad Guys: With Shin. Those Two Punch Clock Sympathetic Anti Bad Guys, to be precise. Think Vincent & Jules, with magic and Unresolved Sexual Tension.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Shin criticizes her for relying too much on her healing magic. He notes that she doesn't even try dodging attacks anymore, which comes back to bite her in the ass when going up against the Cross-Eyes for the first time.
FujitaA weak Magic User who works for En. Despite being something of an errand boy, he ends up getting involved fairly regularly with the higher up members of the family, most likely because of his connection to Kaiman. Who, incidentally, killed his partner Matsumura.
- Avenging the Villain: Wants revenge for Matsumura's death.
- Butt Monkey
- The Chew Toy: This verges on being downright sadistic, like when he ends up playing baseball against a zombified, disfigured Matsumura.
- Fear Is the Appropriate Response: Compared to the others of En's Family, Fujita shows what most of us would usually do in the situation. It's exactly why he's picked to go undercover and invisible to find out information about the Cross-Eyes and their boss; everyone else, especially the best fighters Shin and Noi, would use the opportunity to attack and would likely die.
- Finger Gun: he used it so little times, but this is his power.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Ebisu. He's taller than Nikaido. Who's pretty tall for a woman.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: Having very weak magic and being bullied because of it, Fujita asks Shin and Noi to teach him to be stronger, which they turned him down immediately.
- Multicolored Hair: Blond and black.
- Oh Crap!: When he's forced to work with one of the Cross-eyes to escape the wrecked shopping center and the Cross-Eye realizes Fujita's hiding something — the tiny devil-shaped tumor that can help resurrect En.
- Ship Tease: With Ebisu, but in a more playful manner.
- Underestimating Badassery: When the ocassion requires it, he'll kick your ass, or at the very least, put up a fight
EbisuA young female Magic User who loses her memory and her sanity after getting her face ripped off by Kaiman. She gets "rescued" by Fujita, who wants her for her expertise in reptilian transformations, thinking she might have a connection to whoever cursed Kaiman.
- Big Fancy House: Her childhood home.
- The Chew Toy: Even more so than Fujita. At times to the point of deconstruction. She gets eaten, disemboweled, zombified and otherwise nearly killed on a regular basis. In her character description she's even listed as "En family comic relief"!
- Children Are Innocent: Some comments she does come across as this, or not realizing what she says hurts.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: At first it was because of the psychological trauma of having her face ripped off. Then it was because of a hairpin that makes its wearer happy got trapped in her brain.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: When using black powder. She turns into a large lizard and chomps down on her opponents.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Hers are... kind of several circles, not like an spiral, but like several rings inside one another.
- Hairy Girl: Averted completely! believe it or not, but in Volume 15 she's shown from the front, and we have a clear view of her, ehem, lady bits, and she's completely shaven.
- I care for you:Fujita: Tomorrow he'll be defenseless.Ebisu: You m'ght die in the process.''Fujita: I don't care.Ebisu: I do.Fujita: Ebisu...Ebisu: If you die, how am I gonna come back?Fujita bangs his head against the wall
- Likes Older Men: She's 13 while Fujita is 18.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Had Fujita arrived a moment later the whole incident with her face would not have happened (Kaiman would have spat her out to ask what the man inside his throat said to her).
- Purple Eyes: Which shows that she can be deadly when stimulated enough, the thing is, that she's actually pretty weak.
- Replacement Gold Fish: When she ran away from home her parents paid a magic-user to make a clone; unfortunately the clone was very unstable and scared them out of their house.
- Squee: after seing En naked... from the front.
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: Towards Fujita, but it's mostly teasing, it's pretty obvious she has a crush on him.
- Token Mini-Moe
- Tom Boy And Girly Girl: Presently a tomboy, in the past she dressed extremely girly.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Until her memories come back as a result of tripping on En's mushrooms of all things.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
ChotaA Magic User who works for En. Wears a bird mask and can reverse magic.
- The Big Guy: He stands at 198 cm. tall
- Facial Horror: he looks like the Chattererbut he's not proud of it...
- Gender Bender: in universe, Asu transforms him into a perfect copy of Nikaido (completely with reproductive organs, if we're to believe him), so he can trick En a couple of days. Chota protests at first, but then reconsiders, saying that he'll be able to be near En. And let's say that, there's something wrong with it, but if you pretend it's Nikaido for a couple of chapters... she looks nice with those clothes
- Hell-Bent for Leather
- Heroic Build
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: However after En's death he's shown that he lost a lot of muscle mass and broke his bones when he fell after escaping. He's getting better, however.
- Queer as Tropes
- Agent Peacock: More like Agent Crow
- Bara Genre: He'd fit perfectly
- Camp Gay
- Gay Guy Seeks Mafia Leader
- Gym Bunny: Downplayed he's actually quite buff due the fact that he wants to attract, En. Unfortunately for him, En is straight as an arrow.
- Hard Gay he gives this vibe with his leather pants.... Which have studs
- Manly Gay
- Macho Camp
- Sissy Villain: although he's not one of the worse villains in the story
- Ravens and Crows: The motif of his mask.
- Stalker with a Crush: For En. It get's so bad En occasionally has him locked up.
- Spikes of Doom
- Sugar and Ice Personality: He's generally all sparkles and sunshine, but surprisingly cruel when you get on his bad side.
- Torture Technician: It's disgusting, really.
- Ultimate Job Security: En hates his guts, but his magic is just too useful to pass up.
- He pushes the limits when he tricks En by impersonating Nikaido.
- Unfortunate Name: Chota in Spanish is a vulgar way of saying penis.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
KikurageEn's beloved pet. Likes to play with Ebisu. Can also revive the dead.
- Accidental Misnaming: Dokuga couldn't remember Kikurage's name and tends to call her by other mushroom names (Kikurage is a type of mushroom).
- Death Is Cheap: Provided you can convince Kikurage to revive the corpse.
- Mix-and-Match Critter: Looks like a mixture of a cat, bunny, goat and devil.
- Team Pet
ShouVeteran assassin working for the En family. Uses invisibility magic.
- Bandaged Face: Instead of a mask.
- Benevolent Boss: Keeps up the tradition after assuming control of the En family remnants. Very supportive of Fujita in particular.
- Killed Off for Real (or as real as it gets without Kikurage present)
- Remember the New Guy: Inverted, there's some pictures of him seen hanging in En's mansion before he first shows up, yet when he finally does no-one remembers who he is.
- Shout-Out: To H.G. Wells The Invisible Man.
- Slasher Smile: He's got a sharp set of teeth under those bandages.
TurkeyFriend of the family. Specialty is clone magic.
A gang which sells black powder, a substance that dramatically increases the amount of smoke a Magic User can produce. They set themselves up as the heroes of the weak Magic Users, who are treated little better than humans.
KaiThe mysterious boss of the Cross-Eyes. He was originally a human from Hole, who asked Kasukabe to make him into a Magic User. After he met Dokuga and his friends, about to be exiled by some Magic Users to the Hole, he killed the Magic Users, took them along with him through the door into the Magic Users' world, and formed the Cross-Eyes. He was attacked by Risu's Curse power after killing Risu and ended up in the Hole as Kaiman. Due to Mega Manning and his own strength, he is an extremely formidable fighter.Also rather insane.
- Ax-Crazy: And how! He leads a Kill 'em All against Magic Users.
- Badass: Oh, HELL yeah. He completely destroys anything that crosses his path.
- Bad Boss: Kills Natsuki to get her defensive magic. Also kills Risu for a similar reason.
- Body Horror: C'mon, he can sprout multiple heads, which just hang there from their own spinal cords. He also puts the devils from the heads of Magic Users into his own head.
- Dark Messiah: He's seen as a savior by non powered humans, and members of his gang. But in reality, he's closer to being The Antichrist.
- Extra Life: Had nine spare heads, but most of them are gone.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: He starts out as a kid in the Hole who wants to be a Magic User. He ends up (briefly) ruling the Magic Users' world.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: he's always shown wearing his leather boots and black leather hoody
- Humanoid Abomination: He removes his own heads when he switches personalities and his mere presence makes Magic Users see their surroundings distort. Fujita sees the headless/shoulderless person from Kaiman's dreams when Kai is near.
- Human Sacrifice: What he called the mass of corpses and devil-tumors he brought with him to refuse lake in Hole. Possibly what he's going to use to appeal to the devils to become one himself.
- I Just Want To Be Abnormal: As a human he cannot become a magic-user and and becoming a devil is impossible but he seems be succeeding.
- In the Hood
- Jekyll & Hyde: The Hyde to Kaiman/Aikawa's Jekyll.
- Knight of Cerebus: After his appearance, the whole story becomes Darker and Edgier. He kills En and takes over the Magic Users' World, leading to wholesale slaughter. The Gorn gets taken Up to Eleven.
- Kiss of Death: How he kills Natsuki
- Ludicrous Gibs and it looked painful, poor girl
- Knife Nut
- Mega Manning: His M.O. It's pretty creepy.
- Pet the Dog: Saving Dokuga and his friends, and giving Ton one of his hamburgers. Though it just makes what he does to Natsuki worse.
DokugaA member of the Cross-Eyes who went into hiding after the boss vanished. He is extremely skilled in hand to hand combat and can kill Magic Users with ease. Solemn and serious, he is also capable of wreaking havoc when needed. He is devoted to his small group of friends, who, like him, live in poverty to make sure that En does not find them.
- Almighty Janitor: The second-in-command of the Cross-Eyes, an organization that even En takes seriously, and also a termite extractor, bath attendant, and whatever else he can land as a job.
- Anime Hair: Although, done in a realistic way.
- Badass Normal
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Gets chopped up by Shin and nearly eaten by Chota's "diet bug".
- Exotic Eye Designs / Animal Eyes: Has pupil-less irises that look like crystals or insect eyes.
- A Father to His Men: Dresses up like a woman and sneaks into a party of Magic Users and kills them all in order to get high quality healing smoke for his friends.
- He also tries to save Natsuki from Kai.
- Identity Amnesia: After crashing into Hole's Central Department Store he apparently thinks he's Ebisu's butler. Ebisu's certain this will wear off if he sees En's corpse (which he's carrying).
- Knife Nut
- Macabre Moth Motif: Played with, while he has moth eyes, and wears a moth mask, he's no less evil than everyone else in the series.
- Poisonous Person: His saliva is toxic. Which is why he eats, bathes and brushes his teeth separately from his comrades. Of course, if he wants to poison the punch at a party...
- Played for Laughs when he uses this to exterminate termites in order to earn some money.
- The Stoic: He actually can't laugh, or he'll end up killing his friends.
RisuA former member of the Cross-Eyes, who is searching for his killer. He is the man in Kaiman's mouth, having cursed him after the Cross-Eyes' Boss (a.k.a. Kaiman's Split Personality) killed him. Shin and Noi find and restore his head, and he eventually gets his normal human body back. He wields Curse magic.
- Badass: When he wants to.
- Blonde Guys Are Morally Ambiguous Individuals: More or less.
- Dem Bones: How he looks as Curse.
- Death Is Cheap: In the beginning of story, he was already dead, being killed by Kai. He was revived by Kikurage.
- Death Seeker: According to Death, who appears as an extraordinarily beautiful woman, but eerie, he is a person full of hatred, ill will, and seeks to die.
- Et tu, Aikawa?: He's killed by Kai and wants revenge, even after he already killed (technically) Aikawa.
- Gray Eyes: Official Material list his eyes as blue-gray
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Hellish Pupils
- Hollywood Cyborg: After being revived his head is put into a some sort of Dungeonpunk Powered Armor.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: He just wants to be a Magic User, and goes to a magic academy to try and develop any latent abilities he might have.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He's able to use the Curse Magic
- Knife Nut
- Multicolored Hair
- No Ontological Inertia: Subverted. His Curse power is the only type of magic that remains after the Magic User's death.
- Punny Name: Risu means Squirrel. Fitting considering his behavior. The author even mocks this in one of Nikaido's nightmares.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: as Curse
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: He's prone to this.
- Spikes of Doom: Prominent is his character design and his Super-Powered Evil Side
- Superpowered Evil Side: His Curse ability. Complete with dark smoke, a skeletal head, too many eyes, and a tendency to duplicate your attacks and injure you seriously.
- The Big Guy: He's a hooping 6 ft. 10
- Took a Level in Badass: After transforming into Curse, he is practically invincible with exception to Natsuki's magic.
- Variable-Length Chain: When he's Curse, he uses chains to deliver a world of pain to his enemies.
- Weaksauce Weakness: A Devil's song will weaken or destroy his magic.
NatsukiA cheerful girl who joined the Cross-Eyes because she saw them as heroes, sticking up for the weak and powerless. However, she is disillusioned with her boss when he attempts to con said weak and powerless. She follows Kaiman, thinking him to be a real Cross-Eye and eventually joins Dokuga's gang. Her magic is defensive, manifesting itself as a large, impenetrable blob around her body.
- Blob Monster: Her magic, sort of. It does leave her impervious to attack.
- Compressed Hair: While wearing her hoody she looks like it's just normal Wild Hair, when she's shrinked, and comes back to her real size, albeit naked, her hair is much longer than expected.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Genki Girl
- Killed Off for Real
- Minion with an F in Evil: Not that she's evil per se.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Played for Laughs when, being the kind person she is, she asks the wish-granting Devil to let Dokuga laugh. Cue Dokuga laughing uncontrollably and spraying his poison spit everywhere.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Sempai/Kohai: Considers Kaiman her sempai.
- Took a Level in Badass: After getting her arm cut off and discovering her magic. She even fights off Risu's Curse power, which Dokuga and the others were unable to do.
- The Ditz: Oh good lord is she ever.
TonA member of the Cross Eyes, he's shown most of the times eating
SajiA member of the Cross Eyes, he's quite pessimistic most of the time, but nevertheless, devoted to his friends.
- Anime Hair
- Badass Beard
- Barbarian Long Hair
- Killed Off for Real
- Real Men Wear Pink: Real men knit!
- Villainous Widow's Peak
TetsujoSecond in command after Dokuga, he's a very loyal Cross-eye, he's blind from one eye.
- Handicapped Badass: He's blind from his right eye.
- Katanas Are Just Better: For a while anyways...
- Losing Your Head
- Ronin: has the appearance of one.
UshishimadaA bald middle aged man, he has great strength
AsuA Devil who knows Nikaido and helps her out on several occasions. A former Magic User named Kawajiri.
- [[spoiler: Biseinen
- Body Horror: He gets butchered (as in gets his horn cut off and then has his skin and several inches of flesh taken away to be sold) and turned back into a Magic User. A bloody, nearly dead Magic User.
- Childhood Friend: Nikaido's. Though, since she changed the past with her magic, he doesn't know it.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: After the above body-horror he has a chunk of flesh missing near the base of his spine in the shape of an upside-down cross.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin - When Asu serves Nikaido devil-meat it looks a lot like his former head.
- Eye Scream: When he tries to use his clairvoyance to find a way out of Hole Central Department Store after it's been taken over by demon-Kai/Aikawa "something bad" gets in his eyes, blocking his powers and blinding him.
- Fantastic Racism: Used humorously with him and Thirteen.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: A sidestory revealed that he both worked at a devil orphanage and drove people to death for his own amusement.
- Lawful Evil: When he was a demon, he was not a bad guy, but had a soft spot for Nikaido.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: His hair is styled spiky and weird, but he actually has soft features.
- Older Than They Look: He's actually 32 years old.
- Panda-ing to the Audience: His facial tattoo is this basically.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Not terribly obvious, but after being turned back into a magic-user he finds he can only wear fine clothes.
- Supreme Chef: He's one for the devils's
- Teleporters and Transporters: His magic.
- That Man Is Dead: or rather devil when he's back to normal, as a magic-user called Kawajiri.
ChidarumaAn apparently high-ranked Devil who knows En. He loves pranks, but will unflinchingly inflict horrible deaths upon people. Poor Asu.
- Big Red Devil: Not so much as red and big, but otherwise fits.
- It Amused Me: A bonus curse story shows him pulling pranks on anyone he can. Said pranks involve scooping up bird poop and throwing it at people, and making En's mushrooms rot.
- Large Ham: Dear Devil, he's so full of himself he knows it and enjoys it.
- The Man Behind the Man: Presumably to Kai.
- Rich Idiot with No Day Job: Why he has time to scoop up bird crap in the first place is a mystery.
- Satan: Or at least, the equivalent in this world.
Haru/KasukabeKasukabe's wife. A former magic user, she fulfilled her dream of becoming a devil sometime before the start of the story.
- Amicably Estranged: Despite not having seen in each other in 25 years, Haru and Kasukabe are still friendly and have feelings for each other.
- Dreadful Musician: Likes to sing. However, because she's a devil, humans and magic users find her singing to be horrendous, while devils love it.
- Loud of War: When her singing is used to get rid of Curse. Also a quirk of being a devil.
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have: She's 59
- Only Known by Her Nickname: Her real name is Kasukabe, but everyone calls her "Haru".
- Shota Con: Averted. Haru is a bit peeved that her husband is now physically 16 years old.
- Skin Walker: She can act in her human body for limited amounts of time, and seems to actually wear her devil body.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Not that Haze is a bad looking guy, but, good lord, she's gorgeous.
GarugaruA devil with a dog's face. Became Shin's pet dog on a whim.
- Big Friendly Dog
- It Amused Me: Why he became Shin's dog. Also amusing: taking advantage of Shin's kindness by sitting on his head.
- Secret Identity
- They Have the Scent: Used by Noi to find Shin
StoreNot a devil but something more powerful, he/it sells "a certain kind of meat" butchered devil at his shop.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade - His knives are the only thing that can harm devils.
- Eldritch Abomination: Even to devils.
- Feathered Fiend - Is bird-like, with knives at the end of his "wings".
- Knife Nut
HouseA living being in the shape of a small, floating house that the devils use during the Blue Night. It's currently diving down the refuse pit to meet Ai/kawa/Kai.