Hellion's EntourageThe judge characters who oversee the tournament and ensure it runs smoothly, all of which answer to the Trickster directly.
The godly master of manipulation and trickery, the Trickster Hellion is the overseer and organizer of the tournament. He claims to have started the tournament entirely for his amusement, but time will tell if there truly is a method to his madness.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: The Singularity, which outright obliterates matter on contact, but can only be used to stab instead of slash.
- "Awesome McCool" Name: The Hellion, Undying Augur of Eternal Darkness. Not that it means anything anymore, he just keeps it to sound cool.
- Living Shadow
- Not Drawn to Scale: He's always bigger than the next-tallest person in the room. Justified, as he is a shapeshifter.
- Reality Warper: He can change the properties of local space at whim, creating Alien Geometry, Endless Corridors, and fold space between two points.
- Royal Rapier: The Singularity, which is formed from a condensed black hole.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Complete with Waistcoat and top hat.
- Trickster Archetype: His entire shtick. Supposedly his job is to manipulate people into becoming heroes without them knowing it, making him something of a Trickster Mentor as well. He may or may not be running the tournament for that reason.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: He can change his form at will, but he can't change his colors and refuses to shapeshift his top hat.
The bizarre recruiter of the tournament, in charge of seeking out potential contestants and bringing them to the Higherworld. They seem to have their own agenda for the completion of the tournament...
Revan is the self-appointed lifeguard of the tournament, helping others get to the safety of the sanctuaries when night falls. She is also the only being in the known universe to have control over her shadow.
Aria is the resident Sanctuary Keeper. A kind person at heart, she'll take care of anyone who wanders into the sanctuaries during the Higherworld's dangerous night.
Tau is the resident brawler and guardian of the vault where Johl's Tincture is located. He took up the mantle of guardian in order to search the Higherworld for something important to his people.
- Dishing Out Dirt: They can manipulate the ground around them, as well as levitate and fire stones that have been carved with a special rune.
- Extremity Extremist: Uses kicks almost exclusively in melee combat.
- Threshold Guardian: Tau's job is to prevent anyone from gaining access to Johl's Tincture before a winner has been chosen.
- The Quiet One: But they might start speaking if you get to know them.
Residents of the HigherworldThese creatures are natives of the Higherworld. Though they don't have anything to do with the tournament proper, interaction between them and the contestants is almost inevitable
Strange, eldritch monstrosities that come out at night to hunt down anyone who is caught outside. Each Shadow of Man is a malformed, dark-colored replica of a person who happens to be outside during the Higherworld's night cycle. They seem to have no purpose other than to seek out and kill their counterpart.
- Always Someone Better: The Shadow of Man is this to their counterpart. They are faster, stronger, smarter, and they have a wealth of benefits like Resurrective Immortality that their counterparts do not.
- Fighting a Shadow
- Super-Persistent Predator: They always know exactly where you are, and they will stop at nothing to hunt you down and kill you.
- The Unintelligible: They can vocalize, but none of it makes any sense.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Shadows of Man cannot enter a building if it is entirely enclosed unless they are invited in, even if that building is made of moldy old wood.
The Denizens of the Higherworld
The wildly diverse groups of people that live on the islands of the Higherworld. They are more or less neutral towards the contestants, though their actual reactions may vary.
- Action Survivor: Any creature that has survived the dangers of the Higherworld all their life is automatically this.
- Celestial Body: The denizens of the constellation island, the Constels, are animal-like creatures with constellations glowing on their bodies.
- Man-Eating Plant: The plants on the Twilight Island are active and hostile during the daytime.
- Non-Player Character: Essentially the role they play.
Johl, ascendant beyond space and time
The mysterious creator of Johl's Tincture, the final prize at the end of the tournament. Having supposedly ascended beyond space and time, he has no direct hand in the tournament, but he may have left clues to his true nature around the Higherworld, and the denizens might have something to say about him.
- The Ghost: None of the official tournament materials depict him, and he supposedly ascended beyond time and space.
The ContestantsThose individuals who were brought to the Higherworld to fight each other for a chance to gain the legendary Johl's Tincture... and to amuse the Hellion.
- "The Alchemist Shaman"
- "The Rookie Reaper"
Hybrid is the commanding general of the country called Wysteria. Being a military leader, he is a member of BLADE, a group consisting of only the highest in the ranks of the army. He doesn't stand away from the frontline, however, and in fact is built to be a living war machine due to his mostly cybernetic body.
- A Dog Named "Dog" A mechanical hybrid of many experimental weaponry... who then proceeded to call himself "Hybrid".
- Cyborg: He's a ball of metal and dragon parts, with only his head, internal organs and around half of his lower torso being in tact. The rest is metal, the most obvious being his arms, legs and tail.
- Frontline General His cybernetics were in fact designed to make his offensive capabilities the focus. He practically lives on the frontline.
- Lightning Bruiser He's incredibly quick despite his size.
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range There doesn't seem to be many cases, but Hybrid mentions that he can 'crack' his legs suited for a four-legged stance.
- Anatomy Arsenal Particularly his talons, his high hearing capacity and the tail (which is technically purposed as both a blade and a flail).
- Badass Cape A navy one, bearing the BLADE insignia.
- Dual Wielding He's ambidextrous and is even mentioned to be able to even grab things with his feet.
- Super Strength While Hybrid isn't the strongest in terms of physical capacity, his tail could do a fair amount of damage.
- Lizard Folk Hybrid was formerly draconian, a subspecies of dragon.
- Chaotic Neutral Even if he comes across as someone harsh or threatening, he doesn't stray off into villain territory.
- Mysterious Past Hybrid doesn't remember much of his early memories.
- Cryptic Conversation Every time he decides to demand any answers from NOVUS.
- Aloof Ally In groups more than two, he tends to set a distance and prefer not to interact. Same thing if he's been angered.
- Darkand Troubled Past Despite not knowing much about his species, past or anything prior to his military career, he's been informed of being around when the Draconian-Lupus War.
- Beneath the Mask is a lost soul seeking his past.
- Being Watched by N 0 Vu 5.
- "The Childish Imp"
- "The Genie of the Lamp"
Miles is a feline wild child who comes from a society of superpowered dream versions of cats that hang around in the Buffer Zone between realities.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Not as much in Miles' case, but his world has a bunch of weird colored cats. His are just toned down to where he could also be a black cat (until you see the weird colored blood that is)
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Definitely has ADHD
- The Berzerker: Not Miles, but his Shadow tends to blindly attack at not even form coherent sentences in it's rage, almost like it's not using a happy facade to hide the fact that it's terrified, and angry, at the situation at hand
- Civilized Animal
- Close-Range Combatant: His fighting style is lots of kicks and punches, and throwing things, and doing his best to tackle things despite his small size
- Dream Walker: All of the universes he enters with his Dreamer form are dream-based pocket ones.
- This also covers any and all fictional universes since technically those are Dream Worlds too
- Lightning Bruiser: He's got Super Strength, but he's only semi-invincible, which means he's still able to get hurt physically
- Super Reflexes: He has cat-level hearing and smelling
- The Pollyanna: Despite being trapped in another universe for 2 years or 2 Buffer Zone Hours, and dying horrifically in said universe (which just made him Respawn back into the Buffer Zone rather than actually killing him), Miles seems to be totally fine with the situation and keeps his optimistic and energetic mood going.
- Although seeing bright green glowing is enough to send him into flashbacks, and if it's cube shaped it's worse.
- "The Demonic Follower"
Nameless had a tough time growing up and has literally and figuratively been through hell and back. Long story short, the cause of his sister's death caused him to become extremely paranoid and thus he tries to hide his identity and puts on a tough act.Through circumstances, Nameless had made a Soulmate pact with a Trickster demiGod named Todd and is now his most loyal follower, and is given the task to travel to spread the faith.
Upon his arrival, He encounters The young Explorer Curie...
- Crippling Overspecialization: Has shapeshifting ethereal wings with long reach, but only keeps to close physical combat.
- Same rules apply to the cape. Borrowing a powerful demigod's ability to create, yet can only use it if he's granting someone else a wish and with permission from the demigod.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT have him see a Cat.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Deadpan Snarker: And How.
- Fragile Speedster
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Our Demons Are Different: Succubi/Incubi are demons that feed off sleeping victims. Nameless is the other type.
- Despite this, he gets his fix another way.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Literal Split Personality: Not only can he split himself in two opposite personalities, but he can also extract and divide things into its purest forms, ranging from materials, nature, and occasionally living beings.
- It only works if whatever he's dividing is made of equal halves/thirds/fourths/ect.
- Noble Demon: Except he's not villianous at all.
- Parental Substitute: This with Curie.
- Papa Wolf: Even though he's just met Curie...
- Resurrective Immortality: No thanks to the Demigod Todd and the Soulmate Pact, He is not allowed to die. His soul is bound to Todd and will never reach death before he does.
- The biggest handicap to it is that it takes around 24 hours to be fully recovered, something that the Higher World lacks.
- Scary Teeth
- Tactical RockPaperScissors: His original world goes Gods < Humans < Demons < Gods, making him while immune to weaknesses like Crosses and Holy Water, will still get severely hurt by other Gods and their magic.
- The Cowl
- Trauma Button: Pushing to know about his relationship for the god he's representing.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: Trauma from a young age turned into a unique power, all because "How would you like it if someone tore You in half?"
- Uncanny Valley: His Shadow of Man can speak. And the things it says...
- Weaksauce Weakness: Hardened demon soldier who witnessed his world ending twice. Deathly afraid of cats.
- "The Lonely Wayward Star"
A curious Explorer from Post Post Apocalyptic World Terranova,and dreams of exploring whats unknown to her, resulting in finding a old relic that grants her the power to create fire.During her time in Higher World, she encounters the Demonic Follower Nameless...
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: another contestant with ADHD. She will get easily distracted or lose interest to the point of wandering off.
- Badass Adorable
- Bag of Holding: Subverted. She does have a limit to what items she has, but it's damn well enough for long adventures.
- she even uses some of the items as combat tools.
- Call to Adventure: Not only does she like the unknown, she has the constant drive to not stay in one area.
- Cheerful Child: Definitely shows this despite her drifting attitude.
- Close-Range Combatant
- Determinator - She is SET on seeing all of Higher World and what it holds.
- Dissonant Serenity: While everyone is trying to escape from their Shadow of Man or reach the prize for their own needs, Curie blissfuly wants to explore all of Higher World.
- Elective Mute: You'll only hear a few words from her upon first meetings, but as bonds grow she'll speak up morenote ...Until she's in crowds.
- Forgetful Jones: Majority of the time Curie will will be in deep with her adventures that she will forget her daily needs.
- Unless she has a Item to remember an event by, She appears to have memory problems as a whole.
- Hope Is Scary: She was previously okay with being alone the majority of her life, but the thoughts are now just eating at her. Especially after meeting Nameless.
- Lack of Empathy: In a more Autistic sense. It doesnt help that her attitude will be considered Naive to others. She does try her best to be more sympathizing.
- Magical Accessory: With the Old Relic she found, she can perform many fire tricks mixed in with her combat. Or can create tiny, firefly-like flames to light her way.
- It's possible that the relic only amplifies the power, and it actually comes from within Curie.
- Our Gods Are Different - Terranova was recreated by a Phoenix with its fire, and ascended to the stars to become the world's Sun.
- Parental Abandonment: It's completely hinted that her parents left home to travel once- But never came back. She doesn't even remember their faces.
- She lived with her Godfather the rest of the years but, unfortunately, even he didn't had the time to care for her.
- The Drifter
- Tragic Keepsake - Upon the many Trinkets she collected and kept, one of them is a Picture frame of 3 people; one of them being her Godfather, and two other people that she feels a sense of longing everytime she looks at it.
- "The Psionic Explorer"
- "The Courageous monster"
- "The Unbound Servant"
- "The Inferno Blacksmith"
- "The Animate Doll"
- "The Shadow Spirit"